PDA

View Full Version : One of those amusing moments

Baxbart
2008-04-08, 05:38 AM
I have been recently running the super-adventure books released not that long ago for Forgotten Realms (Cormyr, Shadowdale and Anauroch) in a campaign that is intended to run from level 4 to around 17-18. I started around a month ago, and the players are now a mix of level 6's and 7's (I actually picked up more players as we played and have been forced to split into two groups of four running the campaign in parallel. One part is slightly behind, but only 1 is level 7. The other group is all 7s).

I'll spoiler out the background bit, for those of you who might be playing the campaign yourselves

The PCs are on the Shadow plane, having slogged through the vast swamp and defeated the enemies holding the Lost Refuge. They annihilated their way through the Shadowscale warren, almost got drowned in the zombie dragon-turtle attack (due to two party members in heavy armour with a very poor swim check). The PCs finally arrive at the ruined Monastery and have cleared out about half of it without drawing too much attention. They know they are not far from the black dragon, Despayr, and the site where he is trying to create a tear in the weave.

So the PCs are wondering across the path at the top end of a steep-sloped courtyard, and they come to a locked door of a building with a window. Light is spilling from the window, and they can hear voices conversing inside. The party consists of a Sun Elf Wizard (conjurer/MotAO), a Human Druid/MoMF (in tiger shape), a Human Scout/Ranger (Swift hunter skirmishing type) and a Human Cleric/Radiant Servant (Houseruled from Pelor to Lathander for FR).

Having noticed the light at the window, the PC's start conversing loudly, trying to come up with a plan of attack. Nobody bothers to check to door for a lock, but fortunately the tiger is at the front of the party and has a knack for bursting open doors. They are arranged in a line along this narrow walkway, with the druid at the front, out of sight of the window. They aren't being very quiet at all, so an armoured guard appears at the window and peers out.

Guard: "Who goes there?"

*Players hesitate, Druid stammers with an answer. Suddenly, and quite impromtu, the wizard throws a dice, calls an untrained bluff check and rolls a 5*

Wizard, from the very back of the party: "We're selling knives!

The guard hesitates (and me too, a little taken aback).

*Ranger, standing just in front of the wizard, gives a roll of his eyes and fires an arrow through the window, hitting the guard in the shoulder and making him stumble back.*

Wizard: "And arrows too!"

Needless to say, given the fairly serious tone to the campaign so far (which you'll probably understand better if you've played the game or read the spoiler), the entire party and myself dissolved into laughter, and I promptly awarded the Wizard a small xp award for quick thinking.

So, here's a thought. Have your players ever come up with a witty one-liner worthy of such a reward?

DraPrime
2008-04-08, 07:00 AM
Guard: "Who goes there?"

*Players hesitate, Druid stammers with an answer. Suddenly, and quite impromtu, the wizard throws a dice, calls an untrained bluff check and rolls a 5*

Wizard, from the very back of the party: "We're selling knives!

The guard hesitates (and me too, a little taken aback).

*Ranger, standing just in front of the wizard, gives a roll of his eyes and fires an arrow through the window, hitting the guard in the shoulder and making him stumble back.*

Wizard: "And arrows too!"

May I sig that?

Baxbart
2008-04-08, 07:18 AM
Go ahead. It had me in a fit of giggles at the time - and I'm not usually one to lose my composure in the middle of a game.

Now the real question is... did my player come up with a better idea, see the 5 roll and change it to something random... or did he really think it would work? :smalltongue: