PDA

View Full Version : Divine bardic prestige classes?

Tsotha-lanti
2008-04-08, 06:11 AM
I've got a bard/paladin character (Devoted Performer, Initiate of Milil, Snowflake Wardance, the works) and I need a prestige class to go with the theme - bard with a divine flavor. I've looked through my Completes but can't seem to find anything appropriate. Few feat requirements would be ideal, and it can be fairly high-level. Any WotC books are game.

Thanks!

Nebo_
2008-04-08, 06:29 AM
I've got a bard/paladin character (Devoted Performer, Initiate of Milil, Snowflake Wardance, the works) and I need a prestige class to go with the theme - bard with a divine flavor. I've looked through my Completes but can't seem to find anything appropriate. Few feat requirements would be ideal, and it can be fairly high-level. Any WotC books are game.

Thanks!

It's not a PrC, and it's probably useless to you because your character is already in play, but UA has a divine bard variant.

Darrin
2008-04-08, 07:48 AM

Bard usually pairs up well with Druid. There are several bard/druid PrCs: Green Whisperer (Dragon #311, really easy to qualify for), Arcane Hierophant (RotW, requires trackless step), and Fochlucan Lyrist (CAdv, some of the most bizarre prereqs in the game).

Other divine-themed bard stuff... well, there's Troubadour of the Stars in BoED. Mourner + Paladin would be good against undead. Evangelist... meh, complete SnoreVille. Seeker of the Song might be interesting. You didn't mention what race?

You mentioned Milil, so if this is FR, then there are some interesting 3.0 options:

Mystic Wanderer
Spelldancer
Spellsinger (gets evasion, so can be used to qualify for Fochlucan Lyrist)
Warrior Skald
Windsinger

Tsotha-lanti
2008-04-08, 05:29 PM
Spellsinger (gets evasion, so can be used to qualify for Fochlucan Lyrist)

Wow, I didn't realize that. I checked out Fochlucan Lyrist, and I checked out Spellsinger, but totally missed the evasion connection. It fits, too, since the bard-paladin is a human from Silverymoon (the House of the Harp in Silverymoon was once called the Fochlucan bardic college) - and Milil's avatar had Spellsinger levels in AD&D, didn't he?

I'll see if I can swing that combination. (Otherwise it's pretty much down to Troubadour of the Stars; the pre-req feat is a bigger waste than Combat Casting...)

Thanks!

Lazy Zomb
2008-04-08, 06:01 PM
Obviously, your paladin should renounce whatever god he worshipped before so that he can take this prestige class (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=852283):biggrin:

Charlie Kemek
2008-04-08, 06:33 PM
^ your link doesn't work, get rid of the first "http://" and it will.

JaxGaret
2008-04-08, 06:45 PM
Will your DM allow really well-designed homebrew classes? There's a trio of Bard/Paladin PrCs that karossii made, I happen to think that there is a lot of attention to detail paid in making them. Check them out:

Harmonious Partisan, Guardian, and Paragon (http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php?p=14269675#post14269675)

Darrin
2008-04-09, 07:51 AM
Wow, I didn't realize that. I checked out Fochlucan Lyrist, and I checked out Spellsinger, but totally missed the evasion connection. It fits, too, since the bard-paladin is a human from Silverymoon (the House of the Harp in Silverymoon was once called the Fochlucan bardic college) - and Milil's avatar had Spellsinger levels in AD&D, didn't he?

I'll see if I can swing that combination. (Otherwise it's pretty much down to Troubadour of the Stars; the pre-req feat is a bigger waste than Combat Casting...)

Evasion is usually the biggest stumbling block, but a bard/paladin... uh, is that a variant paladin, because bards can't be lawful? Nor can Fochlucan Lyrists: gotta be at least partially neutral.

The other problem: speak language (Druidic). There are a lot of ways around this, but you'll need to check with your DM to see how he interprets this requirement. This can be as simple as convincing a Druid to teach it to you (which they are forbidden from doing), casting Tongues (2nd level Bard spell), or something wacky like shaping and binding a Soulspeaker Circlet soulmeld.

Here's a very helpful handbook on Fochlucan Lyrists:

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=377248

Tsotha-lanti
2008-04-09, 06:20 PM
False alarm anyway, no Evasion for Spellsingers per Races of Faerūn. It's Spelldancers who do, and while still thematically appropriate for a follower of Milil, they need four useless feats as prerequisites: Combat Casting, Dodge, Endurance, and Mobility. I guess I'm stuck with Troubadour of the Stars- only one useless feat to qualify...

And Devoted Performer lets you gain Bard levels even though you're Lawful Good.

JaxGaret
2008-04-09, 07:21 PM
I guess I'm stuck with Troubadour of the Stars

What about the classes I posted? Did you even take a look at them?