PDA

View Full Version : Help with Cleric spells

koldstare
2008-04-08, 09:20 AM
I need help with picking out some cleric spells. We just achieved level 3 and I was looking for some good level 2 (or 1) buffs (self or party). I am an elf Cleric of Obad-Hai if it helps.

Edit: I am looking for spells from any splatbook.

dman11235
2008-04-08, 09:30 AM
Elation from BoED: morale bonus to str and dex and speed.

Give me a bit to find my cleric, but iirc, there aren't that many good 2nd level ones. They're all 1st or 3rd, with a couple at other levels.

Eclipse
2008-04-08, 06:40 PM
Besides the obvious bull's strength, owl's wisdom and the like, check out divine insight in the spell compendium. It's for skills, but it's a 5 + caster level (max +15 total) one time per casting bonus you can hold in reserve for a few hours until you really want to pass a skill check. Never fail to see that ambush coming again :smallcool:

dman11235
2008-04-08, 08:50 PM
Owl's Wisdom not so much. Bull's Strength though can be quite useful at this level, but a lot less useful at higher levels.

Still haven't found that character sheet yet (curse you paper!), but I know it's here. Grr. All of the good buffs I'm thinking of (besides Elation, that one is awesome) are either level 1 or level 3, 4, 5.

RTGoodman
2008-04-08, 09:16 PM
Looking over the SRD, some that pop out at me as useful (or at least semi-useful):

-Align weapon: If you know you're gonna be fighting something with a specific alignment-based DR, this is good (especially since you probably can't afford weapons with those properties at that level anyway).

-Hold person: If your Wis is high enough that saves against your spells are moderately high, this can be great against low Will save types. It makes the subject helpless (hello, coup de grace!), but "Will negates" makes it slightly less useful.

-Lesser restoration: Again, situational, but if you're worried about ability damage, poison, disease, and such, this is okay.

-Silence: When used cleverly, this can partially shut down a spellcaster (unless he has Silent Spell or focuses on spells without verbal components). Of course, you're a spellcaster, so be careful about using it when you might need spells that could be affected.

Huh. I guess there are a lot fewer good 2nd level Cleric spells than I thought (in Core, at least). I'm betting Spell Compendium has more stuff, but for some reason I don't own it.

SamTheCleric
2008-04-08, 09:23 PM
Just a couple from me...

- Divine Protection: +1 Morale to AC and Saving Throws for all allies. (Spell Compendium)

- Master's Touch: Subject gets a +4 bonus to skill check (PHB2)

- Share Talents: Subject gains +2 bonus to all skill checks (PHB2)

koldstare
2008-04-08, 10:47 PM
Thanks for all the help so far. Elation added :) While we're at it how about levels 1 and 3 as well. I could use the help.

dman11235
2008-04-08, 11:03 PM
You know what would help us more? If you could tell us what you're aiming for, like what you want to do.

Kizara
2008-04-09, 12:06 AM
1 level:

Blade of Blood (PHB2)
Divine Favor
Magic Weapon (duration owns)
Shield of Faith (at higher levels, at lower just use Prot. from evil)
Faith Healing (SpC)

2 level:
Endurance/Bull's Strength (note that these STACK with righteous might later)
Resist Energy
Silence
Hold Person (debatable, not personally a fan but its not terrible)

3 level:
Crown of Might (PHB2)
Crown of Smitting (PHB2)
Channelled Divine Shield (PHB2 (great with pre-buff time until you get Righteous Might, when it becomes obsolete)
Dispel Magic
Magic Vestment (at higher levels)
Briar Web
Wind Wall
Bestow Curse

Cleric-Foo brought to you by Kizara. :)

koldstare
2008-04-09, 12:23 AM
You know what would help us more? If you could tell us what you're aiming for, like what you want to do.

Eventually I want to be a melee powerhouse. However, at lower levels I only want to be a buffer type/after(during if absolutely necessary) combat healer.

Kizara
2008-04-09, 12:32 AM
Eventually I want to be a melee powerhouse. However, at lower levels I only want to be a buffer type/after(during if absolutely necessary) combat healer.

You'll want to use Faith Healing or Lesser Vigor for out of combat healing, although if you channel positive energy you could just not bother to prepare any healing spells and just burn whatever you don't need at the time to do it.