PDA

View Full Version : Wizard gear for lvl 9

Tren
2008-04-08, 10:08 AM
So I'm gonna be rolling up a 9th level conjurer for Expedition to Castle Greyhawk soon. This is my first arcane caster since my very first D&D character, so I was wondering what people might recommend in the way of gear. I've got 36,000 to work with, so besides the obvious Headband of Intellect, what's some good equipment to go for? What's good as a metamagic rod, and what are some handy scrolls to keep around?

*I have access to PHBII and the Complete Series

Swooper
2008-04-08, 02:53 PM
Let's see. A Rod of Extend is useful and cheap (lesser is only 3k). Some basic protective items are likely useful (Ring of Protection, Bracers of Armour, Amulet of Natural Armour, Gloves of Dexterity, Cloak of Protection). Get a couple of wands of spells you'll use very often - even having a wand with a blasting spell can be useful to make you feel like you're doing something in combat when you don't want to spend a spell slot. Pearls of Power are a good investment, basically a free spell slot. Make your own scrolls, with spells you won't use every day but like to have around for emergencies (Knock is a good example - sometimes the rogue won't be able to get the door open). Finally, get a bag of holding. EVERYONE should have some extradimensional storage space :smallsmile:

There's probably others who can guide you towards more specific items from the MIC (which I haven't studied very extensively), but I hope this advice helps.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-04-08, 03:28 PM
Heward's Handy Haversack. Better than a Bag of Holding. Second the wands and scrolls, and maybe snag a wand or 2 of a swift spell.

Swooper
2008-04-08, 04:22 PM
I'm not sure I agree with you - apart from the easier retrieval of items from the HHH, it looks to me like every advantage is with the Bag - even the smallest one has over double the storage space of the HHH.

DrizztFan24
2008-04-08, 05:19 PM
Hewards Fortifying Bedroll

Grommen
2008-04-08, 05:20 PM
But it's a "Handy Haversack". It's like standard issue to adventurers. Besides even a Type I Bag of Holding weighs in at 15 pd. You really want to lug a 15pd sack with you through a dungeon or a "Handy Haversack"?

Other than a Staff of Power I think all you need has already been mentioned.

Eclipse
2008-04-08, 05:34 PM
If you want to show off a bit, Hand of the Mage is a 900 GP necklace that gives you mage hand at will. It's only a zero level spell, but it's also telekinesis on objects weighing five pounds or less for as long as you want. Also useful for small items just out of reach that you need to get to, though admittedly limited as it's close range. Probably more useful for parlor tricks or a prankster, but might be fun if you have the money to spare.

As was mentioned before, the Handy Haversack is awesome, because you can reach in and grab whatever you want with no rummaging required. And I doubt you're likely to have enough to fill a haversack anyway. If you do, maybe the bag of holding is better.

A cloak of resistance is a decently cheap way to buff saving throws.

Any of these of course come after necessities for your character, but I couldn't think of any that hadn't been mentioned before off the top of my head.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-04-08, 09:25 PM
Scroll and wand use is usually a standard action. retrieving an item from storage is a standard action. If you absolutely need to cast Levitate, and didn't prepare it, you are either spending 2 turns to cast it, and getting 2 move actions, or spending a single turn, and then getting to move and cast another spell the next turn. It's almost better than a Belt of Battle for an item-heavy caster.

skywalker
2008-04-08, 11:09 PM
Raven familiars are much cheaper, slightly more dangerous versions of mage hand. Risk vs. reward? I think it's worth it...

Don't forget to account for you scrying mirror if you're that sort of player(or have that sort of DM)!

leperkhaun
2008-04-09, 03:04 AM
Wands of low level spells that are usefull, but you maynot use all the time (remember you can buy wands will less than 50 charges).

Pearls of power...these things are great.

Metamagic rods...at this level extend like already suggested

Ring of featherfalling...in some games its a lifesaver.

Quals feather tokens

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-04-09, 07:37 PM
Wands of low level spells that are usefull, but you maynot use all the time (remember you can buy wands will less than 50 charges).You can't buy them, you can start a game with them. And even then be prepared to justify it to your DM.

hylian chozo
2008-04-09, 09:57 PM
You can't buy them, you can start a game with them. And even then be prepared to justify it to your DM.

You can buy "used" wands though. Or you found it on a dead wizard that you definitely did not kill. :smallbiggrin:

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-04-09, 10:17 PM
Yeah, that's the justification for starting a game with them, or you bought them full, but use of consumables is assumed in WBL, so you only have part left. That said, if you are starting with 3 charges, I'd probably be a bit suspicious.

Collin152
2008-04-09, 10:19 PM
Let's see. A Rod of Extend is useful and cheap (lesser is only 3k).

I got your rod of extend right here.

skywalker
2008-04-09, 11:07 PM
Yeah, that's the justification for starting a game with them, or you bought them full, but use of consumables is assumed in WBL, so you only have part left. That said, if you are starting with 3 charges, I'd probably be a bit suspicious.

I'm pretty sure most DMs will let you buy wands at less than 50 charges... I've never heard of somebody not, besides you(?)

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-04-09, 11:16 PM
I'll allow it, but if someone is buying them with only a few charges, I'll be seriously wondering why they don't just use scrolls.

Khanderas
2008-04-10, 03:16 AM
I got your rod of extend right here.
Really ? I cant see it.
:smallwink: