PDA

View Full Version : You sunk my Iowa class!- Harpoon

Silent Hunter
2008-04-08, 05:04 PM
Who plays this gaming series?

GenLee
2008-04-11, 02:43 PM
Do you mean the miniatures rules, the board game or the PC game? Is it still in print? I did play, a looooong time ago.

Silent Hunter
2008-04-14, 05:43 AM
Any of them.

There is now a 4th edition of the minatures rules and the PC game is still going strong in the ANW form.

mshady
2008-04-15, 09:19 PM
I never had anyone to play the paper version with, but it is an amazing gaming system. It really is.

There is a whole Harpoon community out there and two new versions of the computer game that are excellent bar none. They were done through Matrix games.

Mike

Silent Hunter
2008-04-20, 11:28 AM
I'm currently going through the Global Conflicts 1 missions (on the Players DB now).

I've:

* Gained a like/hate relationship for the "Osa" class. They deserve their Reporting Name (meaning "wasp")
* Concluded that while the Admiral Kuznetsov's SS-N-19 missiles are very handy, the thing really needs better SAMs.
* The Tu-22M "Backfire" remains a scary aircraft to be on the wrong side of.
* My dislike for sub hunting remains.
* I'm pretty sure that real-life air forces don't send their Su-22s in a Conga Line Of Death.

Question- how do I get my subs back to the surface to send them signals?

SolkaTruesilver
2008-04-20, 12:48 PM
talking of sub games, what are the best? I tried finding reviews of Harpoon III: ANW, but haven'T found any. I played Enigma 2 : Rising Tide.

Do you have anyone that is better than most? (I also played Seawolf when I was young :smallbiggrin: )

Silent Hunter
2008-04-20, 01:06 PM
http://jaguarusf.blogspot.com/2006/07/harpoon-3-advanced-naval-warfare.html

That's a review of ANW.

I've got Dangerous Waters, which is pretty good. Far more graphical than Harpoon- you can ride Tomahawks, I gained an appreciation for the Los Angeles class. (Although the Seawolf is quieter, the later 688s have vertical launch tubes).