PDA

View Full Version : Advance Wars: Days of Ruin

Rigel Cyrosea
2008-04-08, 06:32 PM
Anybody else play this, or others in the series?
I got Days of Ruin a few weeks ago and love it. Finally, the campaign mode actually has a story! Also, the addition of Wi-fi matches is great, and it even has available voice chat for with-friends matches.
For the uninformed, Advance Wars is a series of turn-based strategy games for the nintendo handhelds (and I think there was one for the Super Nintendo way back when) that are suprisingly deep and strategically complicated. It's a great series, but up until this most recent installment, the games have been very cartoony, and the campaign had a very weak story. Days of Ruin turns that on it's head with a much more serious premise and much less cartoony graphics.

If there are some people who play this on these forums, we might be able to get a bit of friend code exchange going.

Mando Knight
2008-04-08, 07:21 PM
I was wondering if that was a good game... I may buy it later... need to finish Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn first... it and Dual Strike may be good strategy game filler between when I finish Radiant Dawn and when FE DS comes out for the US...

lumberofdabeast
2008-04-08, 07:27 PM
I liked the cartoony graphics.

That said, Days of Ruin is a substantial improvement over AW:DS.

Just not in the graphics area.

Or sound, for that matter.

Rigel Cyrosea
2008-04-08, 08:29 PM
I liked the cartoony graphics.

That said, Days of Ruin is a substantial improvement over AW:DS.

Just not in the graphics area.

Or sound, for that matter.
I didn't mind the cartoony graphics, but I prefer the new ones.
I didn't play AW:DS (just AW1 and 2), so I don't know how much of the stuff that's new for me is really new to the series. Did AW:DS have the unit experience thing, or temporary ports/airports?

lumberofdabeast
2008-04-08, 08:42 PM
I didn't mind the cartoony graphics, but I prefer the new ones.
I didn't play AW:DS (just AW1 and 2), so I don't know how much of the stuff that's new for me is really new to the series. Did AW:DS have the unit experience thing, or temporary ports/airports?

No. What it had was hideously overpowered COs and Dual Strikes.

Cainen
2008-04-08, 08:56 PM
No. What it had was hideously overpowered COs and Dual Strikes.

And game-breaking skills. :smallannoyed:

lumberofdabeast
2008-04-08, 09:02 PM
And game-breaking skills. :smallannoyed:

Oh, yeah. Colin/Sasha with all the price-reduction skills was unstoppable. Skills are an interesting idea in theory, but they really need some sort of limit or drawback.

Oh, and I love DoR's COP system, but did they have to take away all the day-to-day powers?

EDIT: Also, forum (http://forums.warscentral.com/index.php?act=idx).

Oslecamo
2008-04-09, 07:23 AM
Best game of the series. They finnally made the necessary rebalancing the game was asking for.

DS was fun, but just silly power level. Using a dual strike was basically "I win", and skills only made things worse, since the computer never got to use them.

I actually liked the graphics, and some of the CO musics.

But would it be too hard to show stuff animated for once?

Rigel Cyrosea
2008-04-09, 03:05 PM
Oh, yeah. Colin/Sasha with all the price-reduction skills was unstoppable. Skills are an interesting idea in theory, but they really need some sort of limit or drawback.

Oh, and I love DoR's COP system, but did they have to take away all the day-to-day powers?

EDIT: Also, forum (http://forums.warscentral.com/index.php?act=idx).
They didn't quite take them all away. All of Penny's units are unaffected by weather, not just the ones in her CO zone.

Mx.Silver
2008-04-10, 01:42 AM
Yeah, I play it. Well, technically I play Dark Conflict, which is the European translation (pretty much the entire CO roster have completely different names, the only exception I think being Lyn).
Anyway, yes I prefer to Dual Strike, mostly due to the kicking-out of skills (stupid things) and Tag Powers. I don't rate quite as highly as the first two though, due mostly to a pretty limited single player experience (I miss my War Room). The storyline is fairly good, although the choices about who gets CO satus and who doesn't seem a bit odd. Carter for instance is in precisely one story mission and dies at the end yet gets to be a CO whereas the bandit leader (Drakov) doesn't despite being your single main antagonist for the first half of the game. The fact that one of the starting four COs is little more than an NPC in the story doesn't help either.
The new CO mechanics are quite fun (just wish they'd let you use them earlier in the campaign) and the units are well-done for the most part, although the anti-tank guns can be a bit over-powered at times.

Rigel Cyrosea
2008-04-10, 06:05 PM
I think your Carter is the same as my Forsythe. The bandit leader is just called the beast here.
Anti-tanks seem kinda overpowered in the campaign, but in multiplayer they're easily dealt with with infantry, bikes, and mechs, which most players will have loads of anyway (for meatsheilding).