PDA

View Full Version : Will the Nobles still have the power?

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-04-08, 08:22 PM
Looks like there might be a slave revolt, led by the low and middle-high working paladins, and the remaining military. But not a single member of the noblity.

Do you think Azure City nobles will be able to retain their power, or will the events lead to political reform?

Remember this is a fantasy world discussion! Leave "Our World" politics out! (Please? This really interests me, and I'd hate to see the thread locked!)

MReav
2008-04-08, 08:48 PM
I think the slave revolt will be doomed to failure unless Redcloak and Xykon are out of town. Unless someone's been stashing some use-activated summoning items.

Kaolix
2008-04-08, 09:01 PM
I doubt the Nobles will be deposed - Remember, the commoners are all evacuated with them, and they have their own military forces which although never defined in size, were implied to be at least reasonably large as they were planning on retaking the city from the winning side.

I do believe there will be a degree of . . . unrest, however. But immediate reform? Unlikely, IMO.

Electric_Monkey
2008-04-08, 09:05 PM
We've seen some slaves inspired to defiance by O-Chul's example, but it's a bit premature to predict a revolt just yet. For the maximum Chance of Freedom to Risk of Eternal Undead Servitude ratio, the slaves would probably make things difficult for the hobgoblins until Xykon and Co. decide they've got nothing more to gain in Azure and head out for Girard's gate. Evne then, they probably couldn't drive the Hobgoblins out without external help.

Kubota's original plan was to hold his soldiers back from the defence so he could come in and play the liberator once Hinjo had been conveniently killed. I don't know how many of the nobles' soldiers were stranded in the city when the boats left, or if the Hobbos bothered to attack the nobles' estates - but it's possible that Kubota and Co still have the basis of their power - their lands, and soldiers loyal to them. If they still have forces, they'd head to Azure as soon as they recieve news that they could reclaim the city - and when they do, the inhabitants are probably more likely to go "Hooray! Here come Azurite soldiers to save us!" than "Where on earth were these soldiers when the city was first attacked?"

Callista
2008-04-08, 09:22 PM
I think the slaves would be stupid to actually revolt, and I hope they know that. They're outnumbered and overpowered, and if they actively fought back, they would be crushed. However, the slaves would make excellent eyes and ears for the Resistance; and a steady supply of runaways could increase the Resistance's strength. These new fighters could be armed and trained, and in the end the Resistance could become strong enough to make a real nuisance of themselves. Xykon can't be everywhere at once--and once Xykon leaves for the next Gate (taking his high-level lieutenants with him, most likely), they could easily be strong enough to overpower him. But they need to play their cards right to do that--when you're so badly outmatched, you've got to think before you act. Suicidal slave rebellions, while dramatic, aren't practical.

Who'll have the power? Considering that Thanh leads the rebellion now, he'll hand the reins back to Hinjo. Depending on just how upset the nobles are, there could be a return to status quo or a new order; but at the very least there should be one stable authority figure to depend on--if Hinjo can manage to keep the nobles from assassinating him, that is.

Calinero
2008-04-08, 09:27 PM
Well, I'm sure that there are some good nobles out there. It's not very likely that they would all evil, that would be too cliched. But none of them have stood out as particularly brave either...

Chronos
2008-04-08, 11:39 PM
But none of them have stood out as particularly brave either...Ahem (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0501.html). Let's not call into question the bravery of Lord and Lady Kato.

Callista
2008-04-08, 11:43 PM
Not to mention the bunch that figured they were "too stupid to run" from that breach in the wall... though they are most likely all dead now.

In any case, you don't need "particularly brave" to fight for your homeland and your family. Most anyone who isn't a total coward will do that.

Alex Warlorn
2008-04-09, 02:02 AM
After this much damage and this time abroad, I doubt Azure City can go back to 'business as normal' afterwards. Considering they have a Gate to rebuild they have a lot ahead of them.

Iliad
2008-04-09, 05:19 AM
Not to mention the bunch that figured they were "too stupid to run" from that breach in the wall... though they are most likely all dead now.

In any case, you don't need "particularly brave" to fight for your homeland and your family. Most anyone who isn't a total coward will do that.
and you ofcourse have done so :smallwink:

Khanderas
2008-04-09, 06:36 AM
Yeah, Ill second (or twentysecond) the revolt would be more a quiet one. Where work done wiill be slower, accidents on buildingprojects and perhaps a guard shanked now and then.
Because there are (problebly) still more hobbos then humans, and the hobbos are a society based on warfare.

So they should bide their time, steal off supplies and makeshift weapons for when the time is right (such as an attack on the outer walls by the returning nobles with troops (and perhaps allies). Not to forget mentioning that many of the prisoners are soldiers under the crown as it is.
As such, the proletariat will have to start some other time.