PDA

View Full Version : Forgotten Realms Game

Pages : [1] 2

Manofmanychars
2008-04-08, 11:55 PM
Here's the actual game thread, it will start once everyone's character is posted, so we all have easy reference on/near page 1. Here's some background to whet your appetite:

Bane, Myrkul, and Bhaal were dead to begin with. Recently, Bhaal's progeny has become the new (and much less malevolent) Lord of Murder, and Bane has used his son's body to return to life. This has left Cyric in a minor state of panic, as most of his ill-gotten portfolios have been returned to their rightful owners, with Bane claiming a couple more just to spite him. But this matters not to the residents of Faerun. For most, what matters is their lives and livelihoods. But to some, a higher calling tugs at them. They are adventurers. They... are heroes.

Recent fluxes of magical energy near High Hedge have empowered some pieces of equipment for several new adventurers, prompting them all to celebrate at a tavern in Beregost....

Quixotico
2008-04-09, 08:17 PM
Quinitich Vidalla (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=48811) sits in a corner of the tavern, nursing a drink and keeping to herself. Her long, auburn hair is kept in place with a head band and gathered in a pony tail. Her chain shirt and a small buckler adorn her surprisingly thin figure, and several weapons can be seen under the dark cloak. It's obvious that she's not too comfortable with large crowds.

King Tius
2008-04-09, 08:31 PM
Khorban Ironfist (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=48866) enters the tavern with a steady and proud gait. He removes his helm as he enters and runs a hand through his surprisingly well kept hair. His beard, as well as his chain mail armor and shield, are all meticulously well kept. The handle of a war hammer sticks straight up from his back and two smaller handles of throwing axes protrude diagonally from his shoulders. His shield hangs adorned across his backpack, displaying the Ironfist clan symbol of (you guessed it) a closed metal gauntlet. His trusty dwarven waraxe sits comfortable in its head sheath on his hip. Removing his gear and stowing it in a corner, he strides up to the bar and orders a pint of their strongest ale. Upon receiving his order, he generously tips the barman on the first round and turns to survey the tavern, leaning backwards and resting on the bar as he takes large gulps of his ale. Those observing him will notice that he does not spill his ale or slobber it down as some think dwarves do. If any spills or remains on his mustache, he is quick to wipe it away.

OOG: I am reserving red for my dialog color. School Spirit FTW.

seekerofshadowl
2008-04-09, 10:36 PM
Malark Tallstag (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=48853) Walks into the Inn .Pausing to dust off his robe he makes his way to a table his staff of darkwood and brass clicking as he walks.Malark has close cropped hair and is clean shaven.A tattoo of a unknown make crosses his left eye.Looking up from the table as the innkeeper nears .
"I will require a room for this night,and a meal of what ever you have "He looks around the room taking in the other travelers and pardons as he takes his seat.

edit:I changed the color a few times

JupiterJazz
2008-04-10, 12:42 AM
Aza Bael (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=11175) slams the tavern door open, wincing slightly, it obvious he didn't mean to be so harsh with the wooden portal. "Odd city folk, I'll never understand why you insist on such pointless contraptions."

He walks purposelessly over to the bar, brushing his long blood-red hair out of his face. "I'll take whatever gets the job done quickest." he says pointedly to the barkeep, "At least whatever will for 5 gold." He says as he pulls five gold coins out of his pouch hanging from the side of his elven chain, all stylized in Cormanthyrean currency, and lets them drop from his hand onto the counter. Waiting for the bartender he unsheaths his greataxe from his back and leans it up against the counter, and unstraps the two quivers from around his waste setting them down next to his weapon. He turns around leaning with his back onto the counter, surverying the taproom as he waits for his alcohol.

Cheesegear
2008-04-10, 04:44 AM
Corth (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=48916) watched. That was all he did. He had chosen a quiet table near the fire to keep himself warm, and so he could be away from the centre of the room and all the noise, yet Corth could see and hear everything that went on inside the room whilst he stayed relatively un-noticed.
Corth didn't mind company, he was sitting at a three-seater table. But no-one would sit near him. It wasn't company that Corth didn't like, it was noise. And in a room full of alcohol, noise was all their was.

Corth kept his head down, and concentrated on his food. Waiting to see if any drunk fool let any information slip about the recent magic outbreak.

OOC: Shotgun this colour. I just didn't talk at all in this post so I didn't use it.

Manofmanychars
2008-04-10, 03:34 PM
(Well, let's get some info going while we wait, though the plot won't start for a bit)

At the table nearest to Corth, to local men are talking.

"Did you hear about last night's burst?"

"Yes, it's the fourth time this month. Thalantyr's always been uncaring about the effects of his spells, but he's never caused so many problems before. My ploughshare summons earth... things every time I use it! What am I supposed to do with giant dirt monsters?"

"They can bale hay pretty well, I'd wager."

"That's a good idea. But really, this needs to stop. The animals have fled the forest, and who knows what will be enchanted next. What if somebody's house were to come to life?"

"I can see the problem, one of my chairs came to life after the last burst. It's so frustrating. I guess I should go, my wife is waiting for me. Let's go."

As he said this, the arms of the man's chair wrapped themselves around his waist as the chair itself galloped out of the tavern.

Rane126
2008-04-10, 05:59 PM
http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=11139

A human in worn leathers and green cloak with a bow slung over his shoulder walks through the open door looking back over his shoulder, amazed look at the sight of a man riding a galloping chair. His sandy blond hair is disheveled and he has several days worth of growth towards a beard. He closes the door softly and scans the room apparently looking for someone.

His gaze settles on the uncomfortable looking wood elf in the corner, he starts in her direction. As he approaches the table his face creases into a smile and he says, "Sorry I am late. It's been a long journey and I had to take a detour. How do you fair Quin?" He pulls out a chair and settles wearily into it.

Manofmanychars
2008-04-10, 06:12 PM
As the sun dropped below the horizon, the doorway of the tavern was darkened further by the massive shape of a half-orc. He sauntered into the building and up to the bar.

"I'll have your strongest ale."

"Coming right up, that'll be-"

"I never said I'd pay for it, I said I'd HAVE it!"

The half-orc raised his fist to reveal a faintly-glowing gauntlet.

"This here gauntlet can knock out everyone in this room with one punch. Me an' all my buddies got stuff just like it! We been hanging out around High Hedge, if you catch my drift. Got it?"

"G-g-g-got it. H-here's your drink, sir."

Most of the patrons had left the tavern during this very loud exchange, leaving only a few civilians and the barkeep huddled down near the floor.

(your moves)

Quixotico
2008-04-10, 06:13 PM
Quinitich

Startled for a second, she narrows her eyes before going wide-eyed. "Maxwell? The gods must be crazy, what are you doing here? No, sorry, how are you?" She smiles and becomes a little more relaxed, then notices the half-orc and sneers.

Rane126
2008-04-10, 06:18 PM
Max

Sitting with his back to the bar, Max hears the belligerent discussion. Being a good hearted fellow he bristles on behalf of the innkeeper but makes no move. Instead he relies on Quin to give him a signal to act if necessary. He glances to his bow leaning against the wall but apparently realizes in the confines of the common room closer combat might be in order. He surreptitiously loosens his short sword in it's sheath, just in case. He looks into Quin's eyes for a signal.

Manofmanychars
2008-04-10, 06:28 PM
The half-orc laughed as he saw the state of the tavern.

"Looks like you got nothin' but cowards in here, pal! Guess I may as well liberate them of their valuables while I'm here. What's this? Wood Elves? In a bar? Shouldn't you guys be out in the woods (string of obscene insunuations that this DM is loathe to repeat)? Get on out of here before I make you! I mean, I'm no prince, but Wood Elves? Now those guys are animals! I can't believe you were allowed in!"

The half-orc moves towards Aza Bael threateningly, the closer of the two Wood Elves.

EDIT: (DM's note: Randel can jump in whenever, sorry I forgot you)

Randel
2008-04-10, 07:20 PM
Seren (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=11180)

A young woman with well-groomed black hair enters the the tavern, dressed in traveling clothes that are sturdy and well kept. She looks as if she had spent a good deal of time traveling along the road. She looks toward the bar as if eager to get something to drink, but suddenly notices the half-orc. She stands still, unsure of what to do.

Meanwhile, outside the tavern but more or less hidden in an alleyway, a cloaked figure sits perfectly still. Hunkered down in a position that its owner thought would make it less visible. Beneath the cloak, under the clothes, some sewn up sheets of cloth and padded in cotton and straw... a skeleton animated by darkest necromancy waits while its owner goes inside to get a drink.

Though it has no thoughts of its own, the sudden agitation of its mistress causes its bony fingers to twitch a little. Ready to obey her 'commands'.

King Tius
2008-04-10, 07:37 PM
Khorban frowns as the half-orc starts to badger the barkeep. He drains his current mug of ale (3rd, just in case anyone was wondering) and walks towards the half-orc. "That's quite a claim yer making there about this gauntlet. If you think you're so tough with that gauntlet, why not put it up on a wager. I'll bet you my magic war hammer that I can take you in a drinking contest."

OOG: Let's see if I can put that 20 con to use!

seekerofshadowl
2008-04-10, 07:39 PM
With out getting up from his seat malark chants and unleashes an orb or eclectically toward the half orc.he then rolls under the table.

Initwoohoo 22 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1559103/)
Ranged touch attack: Igot a 17 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1559177/)
DAMAGE:6 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1559108/) no save there.

edit:odd I edited for spelling and it moved me to the bottom of the page?

forgot touch attack and I posted before Khorban

Manofmanychars
2008-04-10, 08:29 PM
The half-orc falls to one knee.

"Ow! Cut it out! I mean, um, you'd better show yourself! If you're looking for information, I ain't talkin'!"

The half-orc raises his fist to perform his special attack (it's a full-round action).

Init:9 (his ability will activate at this point, but being attacked interrupts it, so roll high to stop him. If you fail to stop him, make a DC 15 Will save or be knocked out for 1d4 rounds.)

JupiterJazz
2008-04-10, 08:29 PM
Aza Bael takes a quick look at the barbarian before giving him a collective yawn, "I don't have time for a fat faced arse like you. Get smart with me again and I'll put you down like the dog you are." He reaches under the counter and pulls his greataxe up just as he notices searing globe of electricity smash into the loud mouthed orc.

"Sorry mage, but would you mind if I handled this one? Seeing as how he's already insulted my mother and wot not." He says rather loudly, as he hefts his massive weapon up pretending to strain under it's weight. He readies himself for the fight.

[roll0]

JupiterJazz
2008-04-10, 08:38 PM
(OOC: 16 init so I'll go ahead and post my action.)

Aza begins moving after he finishes his words, not even giving the mage a chance to respond he lifts his weapon up above his head and brings it down in a deadly arc the only thing on his mind now is the anticipation of bathing in his newfound foe's blood.

[roll0] Attack
[roll1] Damage

Edit: (OOC: Well I think I just put a nice hole in the floor next to him. Maybe he's scared. XD)

seekerofshadowl
2008-04-10, 08:41 PM
[OOC] I have done went this round unless that was a surprise round encase I will roll 17 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1559222/)

Manofmanychars
2008-04-10, 08:44 PM
(with the bonus removed, you critically missed the half-orc, however...)

The half-orc yelped in shock upon seeing that enormous axe land near him.

"Wait, stop, I give up! Please don't kill me!"

He started to run for the door, but tripped and fell.

"I'll tell you whatever you want, just let me live!"

He was crying at this point, and the civilians and barkeep were laughing hysterically at the pathetic display. The barkeep was particularly amused.

"So, you're used to just pushin' us around, but you wet yourself at the first sign of opposition? You're a sad excuse of a half-orc. Now you'll get what's coming to you."

JupiterJazz
2008-04-10, 08:50 PM
"HEY! Where in the nine hells are you going?" He watches in disbelief as the orc gets up and runs, wondering why the hell he didn't get attacked for leaving himself so open. "I guess it is true what the full bloods say about their half-kin." He says loud enough for the orc to hear him. He begins positioning himself in between the door and the half-orc. "Now speak to me, what was all this talk about getting information out of you?"

seekerofshadowl
2008-04-10, 08:50 PM
malark stands and appoches the orc staff taping on the floor""Off with the gauntlet then oaf. where did you get it?"

Manofmanychars
2008-04-10, 08:57 PM
"What, are you guys stupid or something? I got this gauntlet the way everyone's been getting magical items lately. That mage guy at High Hedge has been causing waves of magic to hit stuff and enchant it. I betcha some of your stuff got hit last night, like my gauntlet. My friends an' I was gonna become bandits after waiting a few weeks near High Hedge to get some magical gear. Their stuff is better than mine, even."

He hands over his gauntlet, but as soon as it leaves his posession, the light fades away and it becomes a normal gauntlet. The half-orc's face fills with horror.

"I-I don't know what happened, I swear! It must only work when I use it, I'm sorry! Don't kill me!"

By this time the half-orc had gotten up, and fled into the night. However, he dropped his belt pouch.

Rane126
2008-04-10, 09:00 PM
Max

Since the fight is apparently over Max relaxes and half turns in his chair to look at the people who scared the bully away.

seekerofshadowl
2008-04-10, 09:01 PM
Malark retrieves the belt pouch and searches it.

Rane126
2008-04-10, 09:06 PM
Max

Nice going folks, it's always nice to see a bully get his comeuppance. I wonder if there is anything in what he said, about magic infusing items. Although... that might explain that galloping chair I saw earlier."

Cheesegear
2008-04-10, 09:09 PM
Still un-noticed in his dark corner, Corth put down his eating knife. His meal was interrupted. He wasn't happy. But, he did check off a few things in his own mind High Hedge. Thalyntyr. That was where he had to go.
A small fight had broken out between an idiot Half-Orc and almost everyone else in the taproom. What was he thinking? Brandishing a magic item in front of everyone, not only that, but in front of people who could easily take him down.
Corth edged closer to the man who had picked up the pouch to see if he could see what was in it. He also ticked off something else, something which could prove useful. The magic seems to be attuned to it's user. And what the user wants. That explains how my mask gave me exactly what I needed...

seekerofshadowl
2008-04-10, 09:15 PM
[ooc] chessegear malark is a human just to let ya know.

seekerofshadowl
2008-04-10, 09:16 PM
"Yes I saw the chair.Seems like this high hedge is worth looking into "

Manofmanychars
2008-04-10, 09:18 PM
Malark retrieves the belt pouch and searches it.

You locate a Pearl of Power (you can tell it's filled with Dimension Door, and the command word is the spell name), and some notes, apparently made to assist the less-than-intelligent half-orc.

"Remember, camp is hidden twenty yards west of Thalantyr's home. It's invisible to others, so don't get too worried."

"Our first job will be robbing the rich man here in town. I've got all the info we know about him with me."

"In case you lose count, we have fifteen men."

"Destroy the note disclosing how many men we have, I was intoxicated at the time."

JupiterJazz
2008-04-10, 09:23 PM
"Magic items or not, I'm going to go find that coward and the rest of his buddies." He spits on the ground before walking over to the door, and leaning out. "COWARD!" he yells again hoping the half-orc is still close enough to hear him. "You better run as fast as your girly legs can take you!" He almost walks out the tavern, but remembers he left the arrows crafted by his kin at the bar. As hastily as he had decided to chase the orc down he, changes directions back to the bar, and re-straps his quivers and composite bow around his waist.

Manofmanychars
2008-04-10, 09:27 PM
"Excuse me. You guys are the largest group of adventurers we've had since the Bhaalspawn and his group passed through here. Perhaps together you could convince Thalantyr to cease his mad experiments. Our town has a blacksmith, and I'm sure he could give you a nice discount for your assistance. And you'll have free drinks from me. We'd offer you gold, but we're not particularly wealthy, aside from one parsimonious penny-pincher."

The barkeep was jovial, but his voice had a touch of nervousness in it, as he'd seen the amazing stength of Aza.

Rane126
2008-04-10, 09:32 PM
Max

Max leans closer to Quin, "You know Quin, I wondered why the Warders sent us here. Perhaps we're to investigate these strange happenings. What do you think?"

JupiterJazz
2008-04-10, 09:40 PM
"Well free drinks you say. Then keep the five gold for the floor, it's only a couple of boards. That should cover the damages, but I will take you up on a drink." He slides the five gold he dropped on the counter farther towards the barkeep. "If this mage, Thalyentyr, or Thalantyr was it? Well if that's where that half-orc was headed then it's my destination as well." He waits for the barkeep to get his drink before downing it in a couple of successive drinks. He wipes his mouth sets the tankard down and glides over to the mage. "So does that little piece of paper say anything important?"

Randel
2008-04-10, 09:43 PM
Seren

"Good grief." she says to herself as she nears the bar. "Is it always this violent around here?"

After taking a sip, she says. "I guess those rumors of things getting enchanted are true... actually I myself have something that must have gotten zapped."

she holds up her hand-crossbow. "This thing can fire magic bolts of energy without getting loaded... and apparently it heals instead of hurts. Though it does seem to drain a bit from me when I use it."

"I know because I ran into a few thugs on my way here... and darned if when I shot them they didn't get healthier than before! Its lucky that I had someone with me, or else they probably would have stolen it."

she stops and then then looks around the room, wondering if she didn't make a mistake telling them.

Cheesegear
2008-04-10, 09:53 PM
Corth was amazed...Didn't these people realise that knowledge was power? Here they were telling everyone what their items did...Corth knew that there were some people in the Gate who would pay quite handsomely for that crossbow. Corth was one of them.

Putting on his best smile - as opposed to his usual scowl - Corth approached Aza. "Looks like you could use some help, friend. I'd gladly go to High Hedge with you, I want in on these magic items I keep hearing about. And who knows, maybe we'll kill some bandits along the way? I'll even pay for your next drink."

Corth smiled a toothy grin. Back home in the Gate, people didn't like it when Corth smiled. But, Corth wasn't in the Gate, and these people didn't know him.

OOC: 'The Gate' is Baldur's Gate

Manofmanychars
2008-04-10, 09:59 PM
"Thank you for the help, and drinks are on me tonight, too. I can't tell you how many glasses I've lost to the goings-on of the last month or so. If it helps at all, Thalantyr actually came into town to purchase supplies shortly before this started. Normally, he sends one of those unsettling meat puppets of his. When I asked, he said that he had to be rid of them, as he had been out of town for a while, and didn't want them to go out of control, should an accident activate them. But then he said something very odd. He said that he wouldn't have to worry about the logistics of making golems ever again. I think it had something to do with something he'd found while he was gone."

seekerofshadowl
2008-04-10, 10:02 PM
Pocketing the pearl Malark looks around the assembled people. humm this could work out nicely"well meet then Corth , Aza and seneth was it?sence we seem of like mind why don't we talk over things while we eat.It seems we have much to talk about.

Manofmanychars
2008-04-10, 10:09 PM
The barkeep shouted into the kitchen area, where apparently, there was someone making food.

"I'll have some of our best fare made for you folks, on the house. Hey, you two look like mages. Do either of you know of anything that might make creating golems easier, yet cause things like this? I think Thalantyr may have found something of that sort. Oh, right! There was something else that was very odd. He seemed to be ecstatic, like our town's children are when Elminster passes through. He always has so many toys and sweets, I wouldn't be surprised if he conjured them out of thin air. Er, but that's neither here nor there. Ah, there's your food now. I'm sorry if it's not as good as you might expect up in Baldur's Gate, but my wife takes great pride in making the best of what she has."

JupiterJazz
2008-04-10, 10:17 PM
(OOC: Never introduced my character by his name but no biggie I'll do so now, and say it happened before you said that, also is Corth disguised from his character sheet looks?)

Aza looks over at the human addressing him, and offers out his hand "Well, human if drink and blood you want to share then not let me be the one to git in your way. I am Aza Bael, war leader of the Cormanthyrn wood kin." He waits to see if the human takes his offer on the hand shake, before turning to the mage again. "Yes I am Aza., but could you kindly tell me what you just stuffed in your pocket, and what that note said while we're at it?"

(OOC: if Corth accepts his hand shake I'd like to make a spot check against his sleight of hand to notice the dagger concealed in the hand that he shakes with. if the DM doesn't allow it then no problem.)

[roll0]

Edit: Yep that roll is gonna fail.

Manofmanychars
2008-04-10, 10:23 PM
(DM note: Note that meals will signify moments when XP for minor character actions is meted out, your first gain is given a bonus for it being the first one and having won a fight, making the total... 1000 points exactly, each)

(EDIT: Expect me to hand XP out like candy until level five, so you guys get nice and tough before I run you through a tough dungeon, or rather, run it through you.

seekerofshadowl
2008-04-10, 10:25 PM
Ah that was a magic trinket useless to thous who do not practice the art.And since it was you and I who took the ruffen down and you cant use it I took it might be useful later on.An the note it seems are friend was an idiot here take a look"he hands him the note.

seekerofshadowl
2008-04-10, 10:27 PM
[ooc] so where level 2 now?

Manofmanychars
2008-04-10, 10:33 PM
(Yep. Also, I accidentally misdefined the Pearl of Power. I had thought it stored a spell for later use, but it allows for the recall of a spell once per day. This one is level 1.)

JupiterJazz
2008-04-10, 10:39 PM
Takes the note from the mage's hands, and unfolds it. He looks it up and down a few times looks in the back of the room at the female Wood Elf, and quickly pretends he can read it, his skin taking an ever redder hue. "Ah, so that's what it said, just a plain old grocery list." He takes a terribly wild guess as he lets out a nervously awkward laugh, and hands the note back to the mage.

seekerofshadowl
2008-04-10, 10:44 PM
ahhe takes the note from his handsBut if you look close at the bottom you can see the other notes Malark reads note aloud

Cheesegear
2008-04-10, 10:44 PM
Corth accepted the hand-shake of his new 'friend' Aza and patting him on the back. Corth also placed a silver piece on the bar. Thanks for the help Keeper. Before the bartender could interrupt, Corth quickly added Keep it.
After all, it always helped to make the locals think you're a 'good guy', maybe one day you'll get yourself in a bind and need a place to hide out. Hood - the real Hood - had taught Corth that. Plus, the silver piece wasn't even Corth's. He'd taken it from one of the drunks he'd passed outside when he walked in.

All things I write in Spoiler tags should be considered OOC. Indeed...I never introduced my character either. I'll take it as a slip-up and not have my character narrow his eyes in a "How do you know me?" way, and then gut him whilst he sleeps...

Since I don't know how to roll...I'll roll real dice and get Spot 16 to see if Corth notices Malark pocketing the PoP.
Sleight of Hand 18+8 = 26...Yeah, you're not noticing my dagger. But the dagger and sword on my hips are plainly visible.
I'll level-up my CharSheet soon.

seekerofshadowl
2008-04-10, 10:49 PM
malark want hiding the pearl

JupiterJazz
2008-04-10, 10:54 PM
He nods appreciatively at the mage giving him a solemn thanks, before nodding back at Corth. Well then if the both of you are coming along then join me in having a seat, we'll discuss our battle plans." He walks over to the biggest table in the room and slides a chair out, and sits down, but not before turning it backwards so his weapons don't get in the way. If anyone else here is in, then come have a seat and a meal with us."

Edit: if you want to use the board dice just use
XdXX+X For example: 1d20+10 1d20+10

Edit: Also take note that I don't think you can use it when you edit a post. But we'll test again and make sure.
1d20+10

Cheesegear
2008-04-10, 11:10 PM
Corth already knew his part in the plan; Stay out of sight whilst the others do the heavy lifting. Well, that was his general plan. But a short-tempered guy like Aza surely would notice that. Corth still knew his place, out of sight, out of mind. And plant a well-placed dagger in someone's ribcage when they got too close.
Still with his toothy smile, Corth said "Well, we're dealing with a Wizard. You know how tricksy that lot is.". Fully realising there were other Wizards in the room, he gave them a wink. They knew he was joking...Right? Or not, he did see one of them pocket a trinket. It was only until he was caught out did he explain himself.

Diplomacy [roll0]

King Tius
2008-04-10, 11:16 PM
Geez this game moves fast! I'm used to one post per day. I'm not sure I can keep up.

Randel
2008-04-10, 11:32 PM
Seren

"Hmmm... I suppose I should join as well. I've a few skills that could help out with this operation." she sits down at the table with the others.

"So, Thalantyr has flesh golems at his command? I don't know much about such things but I think lightning is involved in it somehow."

knowledge (arcana):[roll0] (about flesh golems)

Manofmanychars
2008-04-10, 11:38 PM
Geez this game moves fast! I'm used to one post per day. I'm not sure I can keep up.

(Don't worry, I'm sure you can keep up now that you know.)

Manofmanychars
2008-04-10, 11:44 PM
Seren

"Hmmm... I suppose I should join as well. I've a few skills that could help out with this operation." she sits down at the table with the others.

"So, Thalantyr has flesh golems at his command? I don't know much about such things but I think lightning is involved in it somehow."

knowledge (arcana):[roll0] (about flesh golems)

+5 competency for being a Necromancer.

A flesh golem is a ghoulish collection of stolen humanoid body parts, stitched together into a single composite form. No natural animal willingly tracks a flesh golem. The golem wears whatever clothing its creator desires, usually just a ragged pair of trousers. It has no possessions and no weapons. It stands 8 feet tall and weighs almost 500 pounds.

A flesh golem golem cannot speak, although it can emit a hoarse roar of sorts. It walks and moves with a stiff-jointed gait, as if not in complete control of its body.

As for creating one:

The pieces of a flesh golem must come from normal human corpses that have not decayed significantly. Assembly requires a minimum of six different bodies—one for each limb, the torso (including head), and the brain. In some cases, more bodies may be necessary. Special unguents and bindings worth 500 gp are also required. Note that creating a flesh golem requires casting a spell with the evil descriptor.

You do not know the other specifics for creating a Flesh Golem, though you know that one must be skilled in leatherworking and healing to animate one.

JupiterJazz
2008-04-10, 11:51 PM
"Lightning, well I ain't got that at my disposal hopefully our fingerwaggler can handle that, but if it's made out of something as soft as flesh then luck is on our side, I've seen my axe cut through such stuffs a dozen times over, and I don't miss twice." He says as a grin starts to play across his face, he seems to drift off into space for a second possibly imagining past foes or enjoying the thought of slaying the ones that are laid out on his plate now. He snaps to attention a few moments later. He gazes around the table checking the vitals laid out by the barkeep before picking up an especially hearty piece of venison, his table manners matching that as the typical barbarian. What a surprise.

Randel
2008-04-11, 12:15 AM
Seren

"Well... I know that flesh golems require a few special urgents and magical components to make them... but the primary building material is fresh corpses. I'd say even a particularly frugal crafter would need at least six bodies, all in good condition, to make a single golem. They need plenty of redundant muscles and organs to house the animating energies and that makes them much more dangerous than one first believes."

"So... I would guess he's found himself a way to get some bodies in his possession. Eh, I don't suppose there have been any major missing person reports or cases of tombs being robbed have there?"

Taking a bite from the food on her plate, carefully watching her table manners and sipping from her glass.

"Of course, with power like his, such crude methods would probably be unnecessary. I think I've heard of wizards carving statues of humanoids and using magic to turn them into flesh-and-blood. Naturally the result is a soulless shell. He could just as easily be using rocks to get the flesh he needs for his creations."

Manofmanychars
2008-04-11, 12:33 AM
"Um, about that," The barkeep spoke up, "Thalantyr has always had shipments of criminal remains delivered to him when he needed them. If what you say is true, I'd be more inclined to think he found a way to easily make the unguents or produce the magical energy. But all I know is what I hear from folks like you, so I don't know."

(DM's Note: Most barkeeps have high Knowledge () skills, this one's specialty, due to occaisional talks with Thalantyr and even Elminster, is Arcana, at the phenomenal total of 5)

Cheesegear
2008-04-11, 12:33 AM
Golems? That put a stitch in Corth's plans. They weren't killed so easily. Corth now had to accept that he'd have to work with these...People. The more bodies between him and danger, the better.
Taking a cue from Serena, he folded his arms in front him and sat quietly. Now that the fun was over, Corth had to think seriously. Losing his toothy grin and settling into a scowl. He had to think. Golems...Powerful Wizards...Corth wasn't pleased. Mostly because it wouldn't be easy.

Corth was pretty sure the clod tearing into his meat wouldn't care how he acted, but he suspected the others would. So, he sat and said nothing. But wondering how Serena knew so much about creating Flesh Golems...

Quixotico
2008-04-11, 12:36 AM
Quinitich

Amused by the scene, but not needing to lift a finger as it happened so quickly, Quinitich leaves her seat. "I do suppose this is what they had in mind for us, yes."

OOG: changing chat color to sienna. Yes, this moves fast. This will be easier during the day.

Manofmanychars
2008-04-11, 12:37 AM
The barkeep had paused, but then he started sharply.

"You aren't thinking he may attack, do you? He's always kept a tenuous peace with adventurers that visit. He makes a living by selling them various magical items. Not to mention the fact that Elminster likes to keep an eye on him, and Thalantyr is too smart to oppose him."

Rane126
2008-04-11, 12:40 AM
Max

With a look to Quin for confirmation Max approaches the plotting adventurers. "Folks, I couldn't help but overhear some of your conversation, bandits, flesh golems, I imagine you might be able to use some help. How about my colleague and myself join you? Ridding the land of these threats is never a bad moment spent."

Manofmanychars
2008-04-11, 12:45 AM
(Hm, new house rule from Unearthed Arcanum. Prestige Classes are attained via tests.)

JupiterJazz
2008-04-11, 01:00 AM
Aza nods at the barkeep, "Well, if that's the case where is Elminster now? Surely he would not approve of what this wizard is scheming."

He turns to the rangers who approached the table, and gestures towards an empty chair. "Have a seat, grab a bite, from the sounds of this we are gonna need as many hands as we can get." He places his elbow on the table top and affords a quick glance over to Corth. Hmm, that one looks like he is scheming, maybe he's more dangerous then I first believed.

"Well then, if we are to be comrades then shall we have each other's names?" He slowly moves his eyes across the table full of adventueres, sizing each of them up briefly, "For those that didn't hear me, I am Aza Bael."

Manofmanychars
2008-04-11, 01:05 AM
"Well, Elminster could be anywhere at any time, he's very mobile. As for Thalantyr, his experiments are usually harmless. I suppose Elminster must be very busy with something else. As it so happens, I hear that a small cult of Banites from Zhentarim have been spotted near Waterdeep, he's likely removing them from the area."

Cheesegear
2008-04-11, 01:12 AM
Corth's eyes widened. The scowl gone.
"Zhents!?" Realising he'd just spoken up, Corth quickly settled down. Well, they're in Waterdeep. Not much we can do about them. As for now, I say we pay a visit to Thalantyr. I've got nothing against wizards as a rule," he inclined his head towards Serena "But this much magic isn't good. I say we head to High Hedge and figure this out."

JupiterJazz
2008-04-11, 01:30 AM
"Zhents, huh, that brings back a few choice memories. Had ta slay a few of that nasty lot that thought they where gonna push their way through into Myth Drannor." He turns to Corth, "Sounds like you've had your share of them as well."

"Anyways, you're right if he isn't hostile we should go find out what the hell he is up to. Before are hands are full of wanna be thugs, but what else concerns me is that note, it say their camp is invisible to all but them, and the only way to get to the bandits would be to foil their heist. The one it mentions about the wealthy man here in town." He again turns to the barkeep, "You said something about a rich miser earlier, you think this could be their target? I'd still like to split that smart mouthed bandits skull."

seekerofshadowl
2008-04-11, 06:12 AM
"It seems to me that mayhap he has gotten himself in a bind.A wild magic area perhaps?"He starts on his food deep in though"here is what I propose it is late dusk apporches.Let us rest for the night then in the morn go take a look at are bandit friends.Fools and there magic should be parted.and after that we can go see what the local mage has gotten himself into.Looking around the table "What say thee?"

JupiterJazz
2008-04-11, 08:31 AM
"Very unlikely that a group of bandits is going to strike out in the day time." He shifts his gaze to the mage, "Unless you have some way to reveal an entire invisible camp of bandits I'd rather not get stabbed, and shot by unseen foes. I say out best bet is to save the old man, demand a reward, and force the any bandits we catch into revealing the secret of the magic surrounding their camp."

Aza tilts his head to the side, "I've also been throwing around this idea that this mage is planning to turn this group of bandits into his golems."

seekerofshadowl
2008-04-11, 08:45 AM
"seems to me we need someone who can track.finding a camp Invisible or not is easy if we have a skilled tracker"thinking to himself.Innkeeper would you know of any local trackers and yes who is the most well off person in town.Looking to the elfhe says"My art is low and the day has been long ,however if this needs done tonight so be it I have a few bits of art left in me for this eve"

Quixotico
2008-04-11, 09:42 AM
Quinitich

Choking on her drink as Aza reveals her name, she regains her composure and stares at him. "Aza Bael? The Aza Bael? Word from the homeland is you died in battle! .....You look good for a dead elf." Adjusting her hair, she looks around the table before speaking again. "I... am Quinitich Ikvilsta Vidalla. Most people call me 'Quin', and you are more than welcome to. As far as trackers, between Maxwell here and myself, I think we'll be able to find you this camp, invisible as it may be."

Rane126
2008-04-11, 10:10 AM
Max

Nodding and smiling at Quin's intro Max chokes a bit on the introduction of his full name. He's never really been so fond of it. Er, yes.. Max, call me me Max. We'd certainly be able to help you track these brigands down." He gets up with Quin and they take the seats proffered, Max reaches for a plate and begins to fill it up.

JupiterJazz
2008-04-11, 01:37 PM
"Dead?" He looks over to the woman "Not quite as you can tell, no doubt those blasphemous Drow used some kinda magic to disguise one of my comrades bodies as me." His eyes narrow, and you can hear him start grinding his teeth."I'll save the story for another time, but our kin need help, the Drow are pushing the borders of the southern tribe, and as expected neither the northern, or eastern Cormanthyrn tribes have sent aid. Perhaps after we are done here you, could accompany me, Quin, I am searching for those that harp." He says as he cautiously lowers his voice so only those at the table can hear the last part of his words.

"If your skill at tracking matches your beauty then I'm sure we have nothing to worry about." A smirk plays across his face as he speaks, "If this is how we are going to find them then I agree it would be best to rest and get started early in the morning. They seem like a group idiots with a few impressive magic toys. Perhaps we can catch them without even an active sentry."

Manofmanychars
2008-04-11, 04:26 PM
The barkeep seemed to be thinking.

"Well, I snuck a peek at those notes, and that one mentions the bandit's exact distance from Thalantyr's home, and the direction. Perhaps the invisibility is password-controlled, and the half-orc's boss may have avoided mentioning it for this very reason. As for our local rich 'gentleman', that'd be Ignatius Martinus. His home is astoundingly well-guarded, one would need a very specific plan to rob him. Heh, perhaps you could steal the bandits' plan and rob him yourselves!"

The barkeep laughed heartily.

"It's not like we'd complain. Any amount of gold you get invariably makes its way to someone in town, whereas Martinus barely spends any money at all. And he supposedly got most of his fortune and magical items through a smuggling ring in his younger days. And he's rude and hostile to everyone in town, when he goes out for his weekly walk. He deserves to be taught the value of a gold piece."

seekerofshadowl
2008-04-11, 04:38 PM
Looking around the groupIt's agreed then. Sun up in the morn we shall go take a look see at the bandits nice toys.Standing up from the table If you will excuse me ,I have study to do . See you at sunup.Innkeeper I need a room for my studys Malark takes his leave to his room

Cheesegear
2008-04-11, 04:44 PM
Igantius... Corth knew that name. He just couldn't remember where he knew it from, or why. The barkeeper mentioned a 'smuggling ring', so, it was probably something Corth had heard in The Gate. Probably not important.

"I'd prefer to head to High Hedge as soon as possible. But if you people need your rest, I guess I can wait."

Corth got up and moved towards the counter. "Keeper, I'll have a room. Something with a window." he said as the placed two silver on the counter.
It was always good to pay with someone else's money.

Quixotico
2008-04-11, 04:56 PM
Quinitich

She looks out the window, judging the time. It's still a little early to be turning in, but we might as well rest in the city rather than the wilderness. "I'm not sleepy, yet. I think I'll enjoy the night air a while." Making her way to the door, she exits to the street and makes her way casually to the tallest building with the inn still visible.

Finding a darker corner, Quinitich finds hand grips where she can and climbs to the top, taking her time. Once on the top, she settles in and does her best to blend in. She watches the inn, keeping an eye out for any further disturbances.

Take 10 on Climb for 18. If that wouldn't do it... [roll0].

Taking 20 on Hide for 30.

[roll1]
[roll2]

If it's nice out, she might just sleep up here.

Manofmanychars
2008-04-11, 05:16 PM
It's clear out and the moon is bright, +5 circumstance. You're used to viewing cities from above, and the inn is rather tall, +5 competency.

To the west, you see your half-orc friend slinking through the forest towards High Hedge. Off to the north, you see a stately manor that clearly belongs to Martinus, and his guards at the gate seem bored, as they're leaning on their polearms. You can't hear anything of interest, except a slight sound, almost like bones rattling, from below you. Should you choose to, looking down there reveals only a cloaked figure, perfectly still aside from slight swaying in the wind.

Cheesegear
2008-04-11, 05:38 PM
Corth walked into his room, he ruffled the sheets on the bed to make it look like it had been slept in, checking that his cloak was black-side out, he pulled his hood over his head, and pulled his mask up over his nose.

Then he quietly opened the window, reached up to the windowjamb and pulled himself up and up onto the roof. Surveying the large town, Corth noted one thing; I'm not home anymore...

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
^ And to see if I can see Quin
EDIT: Holy Crap...Two natural 20s!!! Pity I can't see anything. Two 20s and a 1...Figures. Since I'll be there for a while, I take 10 on my Spot.
V To see if Quin sees me
[roll3]
...Got 14 on the Spot check IIRC

JupiterJazz
2008-04-11, 06:09 PM
Aza watches as his group begins dispersing. He helps himself a few more mugs before standing up and walking over to the barkeep. He asks the man in private for directions to Martius's manor, and heads off in that direction.

When he gets close he attempts to stay out of sight of the guards and looks for somewhere to watch the place from. Preferably a tree or an abandoned building, something.

Hide [roll0]
Climb [roll1] if no tree or building he doesn't try to get on a roof, he just hangs around watching the place for now.

Rane126
2008-04-11, 06:36 PM
Max

Suspecting that Quin will be off somewhere stealthily in town Max decides not to accompany her and instead stays in the common room at the table. As the others start to disperse he looks longingly at the leftover food. With a moment of indecision past he leans forward and begins to fill his plate again, waving to the barkeep for another mug of ale. Max drops several coins into the innkeepers hand as he delivers the mug.

seekerofshadowl
2008-04-11, 06:47 PM
Alone in the room he lays he staff across the bed sating in the floor he aranges the tools of his trade before him.He thinks to himself."The power flowing though me is odd and exciting.He feels for the amulet that had been nothing but a bubble since netheril fell.Odd that I can feel power form it , I can feel knew spells in my mind pattens of arcane ideals he had studying not mere Ideals but he knew that he could formulate the spells.This is much to think on and I have much to do before I sleep."Malark spends the next few hours placing his new spells in his spell book.In the morn when he wakes well before the sun raises he has spells to ingrain into his mind.

Randel
2008-04-11, 10:05 PM
Seren

"Oh, I am Seren Bokor. A minor alchemist from one town over... I came here with a friend because of... eh, this magic crossbow. I heard that other stuff was being enchanted and decided to get some answers here."

As the group disperses and heads for their rooms, she remembers George in the alley. I'd better check on him. she thinks.

She tells the innkeeper. "I'll take one room, please." as she pays him for the room. Then she heads out to check on George in the alley. Maybe I should bring him inside... she thinks. Wondering if she could explain her companion to the innkeeper.

Rane126
2008-04-11, 10:23 PM
Max

Continuing to munch on the leftovers Max eats and drinks quietly, he smiles at Seren if she looks over at him.

seekerofshadowl
2008-04-12, 01:26 AM
Malark rises early before dawn and locks the arcane formulas of his spells into his mind for the day.He writes down notes on his observations of the amulet he wears as well as the gauntlet and other items he has seen."I must see if I can examen them"he thinks to himself.He washes ,shaves his face ,dresses and grabs his staff as he makes his way to the main room.

Manofmanychars
2008-04-12, 03:34 AM
(DM Note: I'll let you guys handle what's going on until you arrive at a story-important location. RP away! I'll handle any dialogue the barkeep needs to say, but feel free to ignore/control him, like having him serve food and greet you and such.)

JupiterJazz
2008-04-12, 06:00 AM
Aza, watches over the manor until a few hours before dawn before heading into the forest and slipping into reverie. He awakens a couple of hours into the early morning, and heads back to the tavern to meet up with the rest of the group.

Rane126
2008-04-12, 09:37 AM
Max

Max takes a small room at the inn himself, it's sometimes nice to take a break from the bedroll and enjoy a little luxury, a roof over one's head, a relatively soft bed, as long as one doesn't get carried away and expect it every night.

He still wakes with the first light, as he has done on so many occasions on his journey to this meeting place, and swiftly shrugs into his leathers. He makes his way down the stairs hoping for the smell of crisping bacon and maybe an egg or two.

Quixotico
2008-04-12, 11:32 AM
Quinitich

Stirring from her meditation as the sun's light creeps across her face, Quinitich stands and looks down at the tavern first, before surveying the rest of the city. My city, she thinks to herself, a bemused smile accompanying the thought. Stretching the packing up that which she took out, she finds a convenient way down and makes her way across to the tavern.

"Max, Aza! Good morning!" she says in cheerful spirit. Sitting down and ordering breakfast, she idly picks at a splinter in the table. "We'll be leaving when everyone has shown up, right? Assuming they were sincere." she chortles.

JupiterJazz
2008-04-12, 12:11 PM
"Morning, Quinitich." He greets her as she comes in. He stands up from the window he is sitting by and drags his chair over to the table with him. He slides his greataxe off of his back and sits the shaft of the weapon against the floor, holding it stable with his left hand as he produces a diamond rough whetstone from one of his belt pouches. He pulls another chair next to him and lays the whetstone on it before hefting his axe up with both hands and sliding it across the stone at an angle, when he finishes both sides of one edge he turns the whetstone over and sharpens the other edge.

Rane126
2008-04-12, 02:02 PM
Max

Max enters the common room from the stairway, carrying his gear with him. Seeing others starting to gather he walks over. "Good morning Quin, Aza. I trust you enjoyed a restful reverie? Any sign of bacon and eggs this morning?"

Manofmanychars
2008-04-12, 07:11 PM
(Okay, okay, I can't resist adding something myself, it's all I can do to not add a DM character, but of course, doing that is the hallmark of a bad DM, so I must resist the urge)

The barkeep placed some food on the table, hamsteak with eggs and biscuits (butter was already on the table).

"So, would you folks like some fresh milk, or perhaps some juice? We make the juice from a combination of the local berries, it's quite sweet and a little tart. Or would you rather something a mite stronger? Perhaps a breakfast ale of my own design? I added some of the berry juice to our sweetest ale to make a delicious draught that gives you the energy to start your day off right. I came up with the selling pitch myself, too."

The barkeep gave a rougish wink, his ample stomach bouncing slightly with his chuckling.

Cheesegear
2008-04-12, 08:17 PM
Having crept back into his room a few hours before dawn, Corth awoke easily. He'd never needed much sleep. Checking to see if all his daggers were where they needed to be, Corth went downstairs.
"Morning." was all Corth said to the makeshift group at the table. "I'll have whatever's cooking." he added as he handed the barkeeper some coins.

Corth received his meal. Choosing his own table - but still close enough to the group. He ate into his meal ravenously. He had been up for most of the night after all, without anything to eat. Between mouthfuls he would occaisionly smile at whoever looked at him so as not to seem rude.

The meal was good. The one thing he didn't like about it, was that he'd used his own coins to pay for it. Corth looked at his to-be companions, he'd have to watch his itchy fingers.
Don't steal from people who know you. You'll be the first person they look for if something goes missing...

Rane126
2008-04-12, 09:35 PM
Max

Max is very pleased with ham-steak and eggs for breakfast, he breaks open a biscuit and slathers some butter on it before stuffing it into his mouth with glee. He responds to the barkeep's inquiry albeit somewhat muffled around the biscuit, "Mmpph, I'll take some of that draught please. With such a sales pitch, how can one say no?."

Randel
2008-04-13, 12:34 AM
Seren

Having brought George into her room the previous night, she sleeps soundly in bed as her 'companion' sits in a chair keeping an eye out all night.

In the morning, she gets up and after dressing herself does some work on George, adjusting his clothes and stuffing to make him look more like a normal man in a cloak and a bit of cloth covering his face. Unfortunately, she doesn't have any goggles on hand to cover his eyes so she just adjusts his cloak to cover his eyes. Maybe later she'll see about buying some decent disguise material for him.

After cleaning him off with a prestidigitation casting, she heads downstairs with him. She sits down at the table, while George stands back a ways behind her keeping a discrete but noticeable watch over the room.

"Hello everyone, I must say that this meal looks delicious." she pays the barkeep and begins helping herself to some breakfast.

Manofmanychars
2008-04-13, 12:52 AM
The barkeep brings in several urns of drinks of all the types he offered.

"Looks like some of your friends may be a while, so I brought some of everything. You're our only visitors today, and we rarely have folks staying for breakfast, anyway, so I don't mind if you don't finish something. Especially since you'll be taking care of some potential bandits and whatever mad experiment that Thalantyr's doing this month. And your skeleton can have a seat, if you'd like, ma'am. Before you ask, I noticed it always followed you, and it otherwise stood perfectly still. It's too thin to be like any of the descriptions of golems I'd heard, also. I've heard of necromancers that eschew familiars in favor of undead companions, but I think yours is the first I've seen, unless your peers can conceal theirs better."

The barkeep seemed unfazed by the skeleton, it was obvious he'd seen quite a few oddities from behind the bar. His mustache and kindly gaze belied his keen eyes that had been honed from having to anticipate trouble in his inn before it began. It was enough to make one wonder why he seemed so frightened by a simple half-orc. Could it have been an act to signal those he'd marked as adventurers to action?

(DM's Note: Lemme know if I laid it on a bit thick there, I have a bit of a flair for the dramatic, it's hard to stop myself sometimes.)

Quixotico
2008-04-13, 01:22 AM
Quinitich

While eating quietly most of the meal, Quinitich chokes slightly on a biscuit at the mention of Seren's skeletal minion. Holding out her cup, she manages "Juice, please." with at least some dignity.

After drowning the morsel down, she quietly clears her throat, and studies George. "He... she? It, um, it's a skeleton?" she asks a slight bit bewildered. "The skeleton of someone dead? How... no. Did you get their permission, whoever's skeleton it was?"

JupiterJazz
2008-04-13, 01:30 AM
Aza runs his thumb down his blade inspecting the new edge, before he places his whetstone back in his belt pouch, and produces a vial of oil, and a cloth from another pouch. He begins whistling a simple tune as he wipes the edges down with one side getting the metal shavings off, he pauses as he nods to Max and Corth.

He finishes polishing his axe to a sheen, and reties the weapon around his back. He grabs an empty mug and fills it from the pitcher of juice. "So, lets see" He looks around at the group of adventurers, "we're just waiting on the other mage I take it." he adjusts the collar of his armor as he takes a drink from his mug.

Randel
2008-04-13, 01:36 AM
Seren

Seren's face turns almost white... then red... then turns back to normal as she hears how easily the barkeep had seen through her rather amateur attempts at disguising her undead servants nature.

"Eh heh... I suppose I should have known better than to expect to pass him off as just one of those tall dark silent types." she picks at her food a little, almost relieved that she doesn't have to deceive these people that she will probably be helping on some quest... after all, secrets and deceptions aren't exactly good things to have among those in a team.

"Anyway... just to clear up any potential misunderstandings before agreeing to go on any quests together. I should tell you that I did not animate this skeleton." she points to the cloaked figure. "Well, not in any real sense. Some of my older ancestors were apparently powerful necromancers. I had stumbled across some of their old spellbooks and found the ritual they had left to awaken the families power... and I summoned this fellow. I believe that he was one of the skeletons animated by my ancestors to serve as guardians in some dungeon somewhere. He is bound to obey and protect me... and carry my stuff when I travel. I think he could be a valuable asset to us if we are to be facing bloodthirsty bandits with magic at their disposal. Oh, and I call him George for simplicity."

mentally reaching out to her minion, she makes the skeleton nod his head at this last remark. Giving it an illusion of understanding might make the others a bit more likely to accept it.

Cheesegear
2008-04-13, 01:50 AM
Corth snorted as he surpressed a laugh. This would be just like Mask. Give him a simple mission; Head to Beregost, Scout the Area, Report Back. It seemed easy enough. Then Mask would throw in a circus of strange characters just to throw Corth off.

"Seems like a likable fellow," Corth chuckled "Let's just hope he's as handy as you say he is." Corth raised his half-empty glass to Seren.

seekerofshadowl
2008-04-13, 02:05 AM
Looking up from his meal "A skeletal familer you say humm.would you mid me taking a look at him later maybe take a few notes.you didn't create him you say..very interesting indeed"malark finish off his drink and says"are we ready to talk of things to come now friends?'

Manofmanychars
2008-04-13, 02:15 AM
"Hm, if you want my advice, try to figure out a way to at least make him stand in a more human way, with slight movements from time to time. Running an inn with many travelers stopping by, you learn a bit about blending in. I'll leave you alone now, seems like you're going to be busy."

The barkeep headed towards the bar to clean out glasses.

JupiterJazz
2008-04-13, 05:36 AM
"Talk?" he looks at Malark with slight disdain, "My blade grows impatient, as do I, mage!" He instinctively reaches back and touches the massive weapon strapped to his back. "We should leave now." he states with a slight nod.

seekerofshadowl
2008-04-13, 09:51 AM
Very well then no need for a mount at such close range I take it.gathering his staff into his hand "shall we be off then'

Quixotico
2008-04-13, 11:47 AM
Quinitich

Finishing her drink, she nods. "We should start while the day is fresh still fresh." She picks up her things, pays for her food, and begins walking for the door. "Meet out front when you're ready." Stepping out into the city, she leans up against the building and keeps watch over the area.

JupiterJazz
2008-04-13, 01:30 PM
Aza stands up and follows the female elf, never wanting to be the last to march into battle. Besides he wanted to ask the lady something. He waits outside with her a moment before he speaks, "You seem to have me at a disadvantage," he regards the woman, "I'm not used to being known outside of our lands, but then it is very rare I meet another of our kin in these forsaken cities. More importantly though is where do you hail from?"

Randel
2008-04-13, 01:31 PM
Seren

Seren finishes her meal and follows Quinitich out. She has George move a little in front of her so that she can practice getting him to move a little more naturally.

"Hmmm... I should probably consider getting a better disguise for him. At the very least give him a face. Plus some way to avoid the incredibly conspicuous black cloak look." she thinks to herself.

Rane126
2008-04-13, 01:43 PM
Max

Max is not really sure what to make of the mage with a skeletal familiar. He's used to the familiar concept, but a Skeleton? So far Seren seems like able enough, and hasn't shown any malevolent intent so he keeps his own council, not making comment. He'll watch her carefully though.

As the conversation turns to making a move for action he quickly wolfs down another portion of breakfast before thanking the barkeep, paying and taking up his bow and heading outside to join Quin and Aza.

Cheesegear
2008-04-13, 05:15 PM
Corth finished his meal, and nodded towards the barkeeper with half a smile. He gently flexed both his hands and feet and mentally checked his daggers. So far, so good. He thought as he mentally checked off each of his new companions.

Corth got up and followed after the wizards.

Manofmanychars
2008-04-13, 08:25 PM
(DM note: Not to seem impatient, but since it's less than mile's journey, I'll just hit the fast forward button)

As you arrive at High Hedge, the first thing you see is a large keep. I about the size of a typical mansion or guild hall. It was clearly the home of Thalantyr, though it seemed rather excessive for just one man. Exactly twenty yards west of the keep was, as the notes suggested, nothing. In fact, a suspicious amount of nothing. Aside from a lack of trees for about twenty feet around Thalantyr's keep (likely maintained to prevent sneakthieves from having any advantage), the area was quite heavily-forested. The clearing's perfectly round shape and absolute emptiness (save grass) made it stick out. It was enough to make one question why Thalantyr hadn't investigated it. There was a disembodied commotion coming from the clearing, apparently the half-orc had finally made his report.

"You idiot! Not only did you lose the one thing that made you of any use, now you're telling me you lost those notes I gave you?! And you didn't destroy the note with our strength of arms on it?! Hold him, I've tired of his idiocy!"

The screams of the half-orc echoed through the forest before being cut off abruptly. The angry man had been casting a spell, but what could it have been?

(DC 10 Knowledge: Arcana to know)

Suddenly:

"Sir, I see someone! There's a lot of them, and they're armed!"

"Don't worry, lemme use that Pearl of Power of mine. That magic burst made it powerful enough to restore any spell, including, well..."

"Y-yes, sir."

"Wait... where is it?! That idiot must have taken it! He probably thought it was some sort of sweetie! Well, do something!"

An arrow whizzed out of the trees, going wide and bouncing harmlessly off of the wall of Thalantyr's keep as eight armed fighters walked out of the cover of whatever sorcery was concealing their camp.

(Roll for initiative however you like, I don't mind if you do it in real life instead of on the boards, I'm a fan of the honor system. I'll use the boards to put you folks at ease. I'll be using the average of their DEX bonuses for the initiative mod for the enemies.)

[roll0]

Cheesegear
2008-04-13, 09:10 PM
Wow...Straight into it, okay...
[roll0]
And I guess since we're coming out of the forest, and my daggers don't have that kind of range of forest is 20ft away, dagger range is 10... looks like no H/MSing for me. So, I draw my dagger/shortsword combo and move slightly to the left of Aza. Fighting Defensively for the first round. I get AC: 20.
Edit: Wow...My initiative sucks.

Corth smiled his wicked smile. He turned to Aza with that same smile, and said "Time to dance." as he drew the weapons from his hips. As Aza raced forwards, Corth was slightly behind him and to the left.

Will edit if that's not what Aza does.

JupiterJazz
2008-04-13, 09:38 PM
<-initiative

And of course that's what I'd do. =P Unfortunately drawing a weapon is a move action and I have to settle with drawing and taking a 5 ft step.

Edited from: if I can't change it then just use this action.
Aza takes a step forward, as he unsheaths his greataxe, he holds the weapon out menacingly, and for the first time since you have seen him a sincerely happy expression crosses his face, his only desire right is to battle.

if I can't change it then just use this action. ^

Aza charges forward as he free his weapon from his back, he moves to which ever enemy is in front of him and swings his axe in a wide arc, and for the first time since you have seen him a sincerely happy expression crosses his face, his only desire right now is to take the lives of his enemies.

[roll]1d20+8 Attack
1d12+7 Damage

Cheesegear
2008-04-13, 09:40 PM
From the SRD
If you have a base attack bonus of +1 or higher, you may draw a weapon as a free action combined with a regular move. If you have the Two-Weapon Fighting feat, you can draw two light or one-handed weapons in the time it would normally take you to draw one.

Randel
2008-04-13, 09:47 PM
Seren

[spolier]Seren- HP:11/11 - AC: 16 (+4 from casting mage armor)
George- HP:18/18 - AC: 16 (+2 from leather armor)[/spoiler]

Initiative: [roll0]

Knowledge (arcana): [roll1]

Seren quickly orders George between the bandits and herself and prepares to cast grease on the largest group of bandits she can hit with it once they get within range of her.

"Slippery slope at twelve-o-clock!" she shouts as she casts the spell on the bandits, careful not to get any of her newfound allies in the area of effect.

George meanwhile readies his longsword and prepares to deal with any of the bandits who got past.

Attack: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

JupiterJazz
2008-04-13, 09:47 PM
Wow is that not in the players handbook? I never remember reading that before

JupiterJazz
2008-04-13, 09:56 PM
Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
Forgot you couldn't roll in an edit. XD

Edit:Also he'll still run forward through the grease spell, unless the bandits act first and decide to move towards them.

seekerofshadowl
2008-04-13, 11:20 PM
Arcana check

Seeing the men come from the clearing malark drops into a chant.Finishing with a sweeping gesture of his arm a searing Orb of Electricity steaks toward the men.

ranged touch attack [roll1]
damage [roll]1d8

edit the last roll didn't work for some resone.

seekerofshadowl
2008-04-13, 11:25 PM
ok trying this again
[roll0]

Quixotico
2008-04-13, 11:33 PM
Quinitich

(( OOC: Outside the tavern.)) "I am from Deepingdale of the Dalelands. Among the wood elves of the land, your tale is not unknown."

[roll0]

Quinitich will use a move action to draw both her short sword and her hand crossbow. She will shoot the most immediate of threats. If within 30', add +1 to the attack and damage roll. If they are orcs or half-orcs, add another +2 to the damage roll.

[roll1]
[roll2]

The elf stands her ground and draws out a short sword with her right hand and a fine hand crossbow with her left. Taking aim at the nearest enemy, she fires. As the bolt leaves, the crossbow automatically resets itself, and a new bolt slides out from the handle, ready to fire.

seekerofshadowl
2008-04-13, 11:38 PM
Seems I for got Initiative sorry about that here it is.
[roll0]

seekerofshadowl
2008-04-13, 11:39 PM
Wow is that not in the players handbook? I never remember reading that before
same here man.

Manofmanychars
2008-04-14, 01:06 AM
(Okay, I guess Aza's attacking one, Max another, while the rest of you attack a third. They are all hit and killed effortlessly, you are clearly dealing with rank amateurs. Also, the spell that was cast was Disintegrate, but the caster sounded as if he'd used his only memorized copy.)

The remaining five fighters looked on in awe as their friends were defeated so easily. They all decide to attack the skeleton, assuming he'd be an easy target. Six arrows fly from where the camp should be to join them.

Fighters (Longswords):
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]

Archers (Longbows):
[roll16]
[roll17]
[roll18]
[roll19]
[roll20]
[roll21]
[roll22]
[roll23]
[roll24]
[roll25]
[roll26]
[roll27]

Additionally, two Magic Missiles fly from the camp, striking Aza.

"Attack the big one, you cowards!"

[roll28]
[roll29]

Manofmanychars
2008-04-14, 01:07 AM
Confirming for fighter #3:

[roll0]

(also, it seems I miscounted, disregard the last two fighters' rolls)

(also, looks like George takes 3 damage and calls it a day)

Rane126
2008-04-14, 01:14 AM
Max

Seeing the bandits rushing to attack Max unslings his bow and goes to fit an arrow to it, only to find that there is one there already. Not waiting to understand he moves back a few paces and let's fly at one of the bandits away from his comrades, before seeing if his first arrow hits he draws again and fires a second.

To hit [roll0]
Damage if hit [roll1]
Rapid shot to hit [roll2]
Rapid shot damage [roll3]

Manofmanychars
2008-04-14, 01:16 AM
(okay, disregard the last three fighters, then)

Rane126
2008-04-14, 01:18 AM
I forgot to add initiative : [roll0]

Manofmanychars
2008-04-14, 01:19 AM
(okay, edited out the rolls that were invalidated by the dead guys)

seekerofshadowl
2008-04-14, 01:29 AM
[On my next round]
Malark chants and fine orbs of acid fly toward the group
ranged touch attack [roll0]
damge[roll1]

[we have a few folks that havent got to go yet however]

Cheesegear
2008-04-14, 01:55 AM
Corth, now realising just how many bandits there actually were, decided that his usual tactics of sneaking behind targets wouldn't work so well with this many opponents, especially as how there wasn't anywhere to hide.
Corth stayed near Aza and engaged the closest bandit to himself.

Corth also switches to 'normal' fighting, dropping his AC back to 16.

[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll=Dag Damage]1d4+1
Edit...I'm terrible.

Quixotico
2008-04-14, 09:51 AM
Quinitich

Stepping up to the nearest fighter, Quinitich slashes at him with her sword. Keeping her guard up, she fires the hand crossbow at another enemy close by.

Quinitich will use a move action to approach the nearest enemy. She will attack him with the short sword.

[roll0]
[roll1] (+2 if half-orc or orc)

Then she'll shoot the next nearest enemy with her crossbow.

[roll2] (+1 if within 30')
[roll3] (+1 if within 30' and +2 if half-orc or orc)

If I take a penalty to attacking with both, let me know. From our last conversation, it sounded to me like this would work this way.

Manofmanychars
2008-04-14, 10:48 AM
(Your dual-wield penalty applies to the sword (-4, as
Two-Weapon Fighting), while the xbow takes -1, which is the special penalty for dualing a hand xbow with that one feat)

As the fighters fall easily, one of the archers accidentally moves too far forward. The ring of copper wire that had been carrying the spell of invisibility was broken, revealing all of the combatants. Of those bandits who still lived, all of them ran as fast as they could away from the battle, leaving their weapons and their leader.

"What?! Cowards! I'll kill you people myself! I may not have my pearl, but my amulet allows me to perform spells that would normally be impossible. Spell Trigger!"

The mage's spell trigger activated, releasing its three spells, all of them enhanced by as many metamagic feats as would apply. To any mage, the three spells are obvious. They are Mage Armor, Bull's Strength, and Black Blade of Disaster. The sword-shaped rift in reality sat menacingly in the wizard's hand.

"Prepare to die!"

(new initiative for him, using just his dex rather than the average of the group, you guys can choose to keep or re-roll your initiatives)

[roll0]

(so you know if you hit/kill)

HP:8
AC:14 (with Mage Armor)

Weapon: Black Blade
Bonus: +5
Damage: 2d12
Special: Save vs. Death DC 14 on hit or disintigrate, 1d% chance of victim losing 4 levels and wielder gaining 20 HP.

Rane126
2008-04-14, 11:07 AM
Max

Maintaining his distance from the wizard Max pulls back his bow that seems to have an arrow ready and looses a pair of shot towards him.

If range is 60' + add +1 to hit and to damage. Is this wizard human? Favoured enemy + 2 to damage.

To hit [roll0]
Damage if hit [roll1]

Rapid shot to hit [roll2]
Rapid shot Damage if hit [roll3]

seekerofshadowl
2008-04-14, 11:24 AM
staying well back from the spellweilding bandit .malark again drops into a chant as he finished the Orb of Electricity flys toward the bandit leader .

Ranged touch attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]

Quixotico
2008-04-14, 11:32 AM
Quinitich

"What abomination is that?" Quinitich aims her crossbow at the leader, wary of the unnatural rift of reality, and fires. Still unsure, she steps back, keeping her distance while the crossbow "grows" another bolt.

Only attacking with the crossbow.
[roll0] (+1 if within 30')
[roll1] (+1 if within 30', +2 if orc or half-orc)
Back up 20'

JupiterJazz
2008-04-14, 12:07 PM
Aza staggers a little, but shrugs off the two magic missles. He looks around, but realizes everyone is dead or ran off, he turns around to his companions, and shakes his fist at them as he says, "Hey you mind not killing them all next time!"

Manofmanychars
2008-04-14, 02:50 PM
The mage, as he is fatally pelted by missile weapons and magic, falls backward. His last words were clear, despite his massive injuries.

"Why...? I'm... better than those... fools...."

As he died, so too did the blade, rippling back into normal space. The bandits' camp was now ripe for the looting. The mage himself had nothing of value, his amulet returning to its nonmagical form, which was simple quartz. However, there was still the mention of plans to rob Ignatius Martinus to investigate. Perhaps the mage kept a journal?

seekerofshadowl
2008-04-14, 03:11 PM
Well the camp is ours it seems.shall we go loot it.
looking toward the wizards home he half smiles"tehn I say we go say hi to the locale wizard."

Rane126
2008-04-14, 03:18 PM
Max

With the immediate threat apparently taken care of Max attempts to melt back into the forest and does a sweep around the camp, to make sure there are no hiding ambushers.

In forest the forester feat increases bonus to spot, listen, hide and move silently to +3.

Move silently [roll0]
Hide [roll1]
Spot [roll2]
Listen [roll3]

Quixotico
2008-04-14, 04:02 PM
Quinitich

Walking through the camp, she searches some of the personal effects, looking for anything of interest, particularly for information on their operation.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Cheesegear
2008-04-14, 04:14 PM
As the mage fell, Corth told himself he was just having a bad day. He'd soon feel better after he loots the bandits' camp. Corth was a little disappointed that all these magic items that he kept hearing about were all but useless in other people's hands.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Manofmanychars
2008-04-14, 04:14 PM
You find the following items around camp:

6 platinum
137 gold
68 silver
471 copper

2,348g in diamonds

The mage's journal, in which the following entry had been made:

"Martinus' house is impregnable. The front door lock is magical, only Martinus can open it. However, upon observation, the guards can open the door from the inside, so the door is likely nonmagical on the interior. Perhaps one of us could infiltrate the guards to let someone in. The guards themselves seem easily-distracted, and something as simple as an argument on the streets draws all of their attention. As for Martinus, he goes out once every week, and normally returns exactly one hour later. However, Martinus fancies himself a wizard, and I was able to keep him talking for four hours, the insufferable blowhard. That should be enough to buy us time. Additionally, Martinus only allows one guard in his house when he's out, which plays right into our hands. Aside from the door, the windows can only be opened from the inside. Also, according to my conversation with him, his possessions are all enchanted to alert him and his guards if any are removed. Fortunately, one item causes the alarm as well as all of them would, so if we can somehow stage a situation in which an item needs to be removed from his home, this robbery will be laughably easy. I shall name this maneuver after myself, 'Daniel Lake's gambit'"

(DM's Note: If you get the reference there, pat yourself on the back.)

seekerofshadowl
2008-04-14, 05:32 PM
"nice bit of loot .lets divide this up then I'm heading over there"he points to the wizards home close byAnd meet the wizard that caused all this"

Rane126
2008-04-14, 05:43 PM
Max

Completing his sweep and not finding anything Max returns to the clearing. "What's the plan? Go and knock on his door?"

Quixotico
2008-04-14, 05:48 PM
Quinitich

Thinking for a moment, Quinitich picks up the quartz amulet. "Perhaps we could play to his better side? According to these notes, he's a bit egotistical... If a few of us could persuade him to invite us in to discuss, well, him, the rest of you could distract the guards long enough for those of us inside to let you in. Or am I thinking this over too much?"

seekerofshadowl
2008-04-14, 05:55 PM
looking to quinitich "I was speaking or Thalantyr. I have no interest in finishing what theas bandits had planned.Thalantyr's is where this all started thats where we should look.If you intend to fallow the bandits plans like a common thief you can count me out.There is something odd here and Thalantyr is at the center .I intend to learn more"

Rane126
2008-04-14, 05:55 PM
Max

"Aren't we talking about two things here? There's the wizard that has been causing these problems, and the rich miser. It seems the notes here pertain to the miser do they not? There's no telling what security the wizard has. What's the purpose of this visit to the wizard? Are we going to ask him nicely to cease and desist experiments?"

seekerofshadowl
2008-04-14, 06:05 PM
Let the miser keep his gold he isn't an issue.As for Thalantyr I do have a plan for that.We have a lot of items here that used to have magic and I wish to learn more.Go steal from this man if you wish I am no thief.

Quixotico
2008-04-14, 06:22 PM
Quinitich

(( OCC: I'm terrible with names. I totally had the wizard and miser mixed up. ))

"Of course not!" she says with indignity, "I merely thought that, him being a purveyor of magical items and a well-off man and likely well informed, he might have information we might like to know before confronting the wizard, in whatever form that might take. I just don't think he'll be keen to talking to us for no good reason."

JupiterJazz
2008-04-14, 06:51 PM
He listens as everyone talks getting a general drift of just what the journal said, "More then likely the miser might have something that Thalatyr wants, there is no way a mage as powerful as him could have a group of bandits this close to 'is home and not know about it. Hell he's probably the one that made the place invisible. I imagine if we go into Thalantyr's home, he's probably going to want us to retrieve what ever it is he is in need of. Especially since we just killed his best chance at it."

Rane126
2008-04-14, 07:06 PM
Max

"I suggest we cross that bridge when we come to it. I am in agreement with Malark, I am not keen to steal from someone for the sake of quick gold. Let's call on Thalatyr to investigate. I suspect you have a point on him knowing about the presence of these bandits Aza, but we don't have enough information to substantiate a claim that he was going to use them."

JupiterJazz
2008-04-14, 07:20 PM
Aza nods to the ranger, "You're right about that, only way to know for sure is to go see this damned fingerwaggler."

seekerofshadowl
2008-04-14, 08:40 PM
"Good we are in agreement .Let us finish this up and call upon Thalatyr then.

Manofmanychars
2008-04-15, 12:40 AM
Before any approach could be decided on, a booming voice rang out.

"Hel-lo-o? Is anyone out there? Come in, come in, the door's open! I just so love visitors!"

This sounded nothing like what they had heard of Thalantyr. He was supposed to be reclusive and rude, with little regard for other people. What could possibly be going on?

seekerofshadowl
2008-04-15, 12:58 AM
Well you heared the man.maybe he'll have tea
Malark starts off toward the wizards home.

Cheesegear
2008-04-15, 01:22 AM
Corth decided to stay out of the conversation. It didn't matter to him. Either way, Corth came out on top. Rob the miser, Corth would get rich. Talk to Thalantyr, complete the mission. Why look for chicken if there's mutton in front of you?

Corth heard the voice ring from the keep-like structure - Thalantyr's home - and was instantly on his guard. Powerful wizards rarely - if ever - invited you into their homes...

Rane126
2008-04-15, 01:35 AM
Max

Max is also surprised by the invitation, he keeps his bow to hand as he follows the others towards the castle, keeping a careful watch out.

Spot [roll0]

Manofmanychars
2008-04-15, 02:18 AM
Nothing seems amiss as the party enters the keep. As they enter the main room from the circular outer hallway, they see large pylons with crackling electricity around them, kept in check only by glass tubes. Two hulking flesh golems stood by the walls, wearing what appeared to be... aprons. From the opposite end of the room, a man in bright orange robes enters, arms wide in greeting.

"Hello! It's so nice to meet you! Aren't you just so precious, wiping out those bandits. I didn't even notice them, I've been so busy. I didn't realize my experiments have been so powerful as to grant powers to people outside. I just noticed when I heard the commotion outside. I did a quick Detect Magic and Beregost just lit up. Ever since I found that thing, I've been making magical items at an amazing rate. I even improved many of them. Here, have some as a reward for your hard work."

(quest XP gained: 1000, most of them items will be viewable at d20srd.org, they're all Wondrous Items)

Seren: Robe of Bones (cloak, all patches return every day)

George: Blade of the Undead Servant (custom item, +1 longsword that allows George to become a generic commoner as the Disguise Self spell at his master's will, though only that one form is possible, it also halves the effects of turning/rebuking/etc., grants +1 to AC and saving throws, and halves incoming magical damage, but the sword, and by extension, George, is sentient, Chaotic Neutral)

Malark: Robe of Useful Items (cloak, all patches return every day, the extra patches are: Mule, 2 Wooden Ladders of 24 ft., 10x10x10 Open Pit, 2 Rowboats, 2 2x4x2 Windows, 2 10x10 self-attaching Iron Doors, Portable Ram, 2 Potions of Cure Serious Wounds, a pair of War Dogs, and 2 minor scrolls of one randomly determined spell, chosen at random every time it is used and then regenerated)

Corth: Robe of Stars (cloak, shuriken regen every day)

Quin: Boots of Striding and Springing and Bracelet of Friends (charms regen one week after use)

Max: Slippers of Spider Climbing and Cape of the Mountebank

Aza: Minor Circlet of Blasting (special activation command: must hold hands in front of forehead, plams out, fingers apart, and yell "Searing Light!") and Necklace of Adaptation

Suddenly, a blast of magic nearly knocked Thalantyr over. Standing in the doorway was an elderly man in bright red robes and a pointed hat. It was Elminster.

"So, it looks like you accidentally reversed your own methods of thought with your tampering with the Nether Scrolls, eh, Thalantyr? That ought to have set you straight."

"Wha-? Hey! You need to pay for those, you blackguards! Think you can take advantage of me? You'll rue the day that you dared cross-"

"That's quite enough. The loss of those items is no fault of theirs. Perhaps now you'll use caution with your spells. Now, hand over that book of the Nether Scrolls."

"Fine, I've learned what I could from it, anyway."

After the Scrolls had been handed to Elminster, he turned to the party.

"You know, if you don't mind a bit of trouble, I've a job for you fellows, as you seem to have the qualities I'm looking for."

(note: if you guys think I may be laying it on too thick or going too fast, lemme know, I'd hate to screw this up with such simple problems)

Cheesegear
2008-04-15, 04:23 AM
Corth deftly caught the dark cloak as it was tossed to him. It was a dark bluish colour, almost black. Corth smiled his toothy smile as he felt the fabric of the cloth. As his hand passed over the star-patterns worked into the cloth Corth believed that they almost felt solid. If it was possible, Corth's face lit up like a Death's-Head Grin.

Well, looks like that was easy. Thalantyr was crating the magic bursts. But, with the Nether Scrolls? What in the Abyss are they? Ah well, Thalantyr can't do it anymore...
"Sure, I've got time. Who can refuse Elminster?"

Feel free to dish out magic items and XP as much as you like, as long as the candy-waterfall eventually stops, it'll be okay.

Quixotico
2008-04-15, 11:20 AM
Quinitich

Looking over the boots, Quinitich smiles. These are nice. Very nice. Such a gentleman... And flinches at the magical blast. Hand on her crossbow, she watches the exchange between magic wielders with a wary stance. Realizing the two would ignore her companions and her as long as each other was present, she puts on the bracelet, but declines to put on the boots until a more appropriate time. Nether scrolls?

"We would be more than happy to discuss the task. I'm sure there's something we can do regarding it, sir. What is it you had in mind?"

The rewards are just fine, right now. I'm not a fan of the first few levels. I think characters start coming into their own (and surviving) at level three or four. And I like goodies.

The storytelling is good, too. I like the thematics.

Do we know how to use our newfound treasures? Do I know how to use my Bracelet of Friends?

Manofmanychars
2008-04-15, 03:14 PM
(Knowledge: Arcana or similar Knowledge category at DC 10 to know each item, or Elminster will explain if asked, feel free to write his explanation yourselves)

"Ah, glad you can help. I'm afraid there'll be a bit of travel involved, but I can teleport us near our destination. I'm afraid that my direct presence will be only detrimental. There's a tavern in Tethyr, in a very small village, well off the beaten path. That's where you'll need to go. The owner has an item of immense power, and is thoroughly evil. She's likely flee town if she detected me within the limits of the town, and she's always looking for me. I'm afraid we have a bit of history, none of it good. You'll be looking for a set of scrolls, black on the outside. When you've finished, I'll know. As for rewards, I'm sure you all have something in mind."

Elminster gave a small chuckle. He seemed very kind, and surprisingly jovial for a man who has lived as long as he had.

seekerofshadowl
2008-04-15, 03:31 PM
Malark looks at the old mage"As a humble servant of mystra I will do as you ask"

arcane roll1d20+8

seekerofshadowl
2008-04-15, 06:51 PM
try again
[roll0]

Rane126
2008-04-15, 08:55 PM
Max

Max is very quiet at the sight of Elminster himself. Being from Shadowdale there are all sorts of stories about him, but Max has never met the Archmage before. Being asked directly to assist him is a little more than Max can handle. He mumurs his assent to help along with the others.

Goodies are good, xp guud. Thing do seem to roll over a little quickly at the moment, but hoping this is to speed through the lower levels which is A-ok.

Incidentally, cape of the mountebank, where do I find details?

Manofmanychars
2008-04-15, 11:04 PM
(d20srd.org has info on all the items, which Malark can now explain to all of you, either explicitly OR implicity, but specifically, the Cape of the Mountebank allows you to Dimension Door once per day, with a cloud of smoke at the point where you depart and arrive, so perhaps a better name is Cape of the MounteBAMF! It's also very stylish, red with gold trim.)

Rane126
2008-04-16, 01:53 PM
Max

Looking to the others for confirmation, Max plucks up the courage to speak to Elminster, "If I might so bold Archmage, I think we are ready to travel."

Quixotico
2008-04-16, 02:38 PM
Quinitich

Nodding in agreement, she steps up next to Maxwell. "We are, I believe. However... Sir, the task sounds like something this group is capable of, but I must ask before we depart... Whose scrolls are these, rightfully? We're not stealing, are we?" Glancing back at Malark, she adds "We are no thieves."

Manofmanychars
2008-04-16, 06:02 PM
"I assure you, the original owners of those scrolls died several centuries ago. The person who possesses them now found them in a crypt in Athkatla's graveyard through a sequence of events too long to describe. Needless to say, the scrolls are too dangerous to leave with her, as they, as you may have guessed, are another book of the Nether Scrolls. I've been attempting to collect them, so as to prevent dangerous wizards from abusing their power. Thankfully, the current owner has had such bad experiences with them, she won't even look at them. And in case you're wondering how I know this without having scared her into hiding, Scrying is a good spell to know."

With quick wink and a smile, Elminster Aumar cast Teleportation Circle, casting the entire party to a clearing several miles from their destination.

"Well, this is where I'll be leaving you. Any questions before I go to await your success? And yes, you may peruse the scrolls once they are safely away in my home. Detect Thoughts is another good spell to have handy, hehehe."

Elminster gave Malark a hearty pat on the back, somewhat stronger than one would expect for someone of his advanced age.

Rane126
2008-04-16, 06:45 PM
Max

OOC: I am assuming Malark has been able to explain the uses of the item we were given in the keep so no questions to Elminster on those. Any I had read cape as cloak, hence my difficulty.

Survival roll to determine direction of inn 1d20+7

After looking up at the sky in the clearing and sniffing the air Max pipes up, "Archmage, the tavern we are to investigate is in this direction?" He points in the direction he thinks is correct.

Rane126
2008-04-16, 06:46 PM
Damn dice roller [roll0]

seekerofshadowl
2008-04-16, 06:48 PM
[ooc guys malark is has a horse and many things on it i'm gussing were bring that indoors?]and adding this just to make the post long enuff go fig

Quixotico
2008-04-16, 06:54 PM
Quinitich

She nods her head as Elminster explains the scroll's lack of ownership, accepting the explanation.

After teleporting, she turns to the archmage and asks "Sir, yes. These 'gifts', what are they? They're much too fine and... well what I'm trying to say is... are they magical?"

Giving a chuckle, Elminster looks at the bracelet and boots. "Magical indeed. The boots will put an extra spring in your step, no doubt. Nothing you have to do but put them on. The bracelet is something of another matter. See here," he says, pointing to the charms, "these charms allow you to summon designated people to you. You set the charms by holding it and concentrating on the person. You'll know when it's set, don't worry. Then, to summon that person, hold that charm and speak that person's name. If they're in the mood to see you, they'll appear. The charms take a week to recharge, so consider that."

Quinitich nods, understanding enough to be satisfied. "Thank you, sir." Leaving his attention, she finds a rock to sit on and put on the boots. Then, she focuses on the charms as Elminster finishes with the others.

Setting the charms to Aza, Malark, Maxwell, and Corth.

Manofmanychars
2008-04-16, 07:01 PM
"Well, there's a road a few yards in that direction, head west on the road to reach the village. I'm afraid your target watches the road for several miles further than the forest, so I found this method more efficient. She learned many powerful scrying spells from the Nether Scrolls before their power backfired on her. Also, those of you with any large possessions or mounts should be pleased to know that they will be safely stabled or stored outside my home momentarily, unless you'd like them sent into town. And a word to the wise, don't comment on your target's looks, despite how attrative she may or may not seem, or you may find yourself permanently polymorphed, disintegrated, imprisoned, or all manner of other unfortunate states."

Randel
2008-04-17, 12:46 AM
Seren

"Ah... so don't tell the Emperor what you think of their clothes, gotcha." Seren says with this last bit of advice.

She has already put on her new magic cloak and quickly surmised its function by the patches resembling undead she finds on it. She also gives George the magic Longsword and ordered him disguised as a commoner. With herself now suitably prepared, she is ready to go along with their mission.

Manofmanychars
2008-04-17, 02:08 AM
(DM Note: Don't forget, that sword George is packing now is intelligent, with a Chaotic Neutral alignment. Having no mind of his own, the sword is serving as a surrogate mind for the skeleton. Also, much like an intelligent weapon can conquer its wielder should a conflict arise and the wielder fail the save, George can be forced to follow the sword's orders. Fortunately, the sword is unpurposed, and you have matching alignments, so you can generate your own conflicts whenever it seems like fun. For a complete reference, check d20srd.org's Magical Item section, the intelligent weapon section is at the end.)

JupiterJazz
2008-04-17, 03:52 AM
Eleminster, hmm maybe my luck is changing! His eyes widen at the site of the great magus, he almost feels compelled to bow to the mage, but thinks better of it. He slides the necklace on, and conceals it in his armor, before placing the circlet on his head.

"Eleminster, it would be an honor to help you, but as for a reward, I have a much better request then wealth or magics." he tones with respect for the mage, "All I simply need is help getting back to Cormanthyr forest. I got caught in battle with a drow priestess, almost got the scummy strumpet too, but alas when I went to strike her down I ended up in gods know where, and have been making my way back to my homeland since." he ties the greataxe to his weapon strap seeing that the immediate dangers have passed, and continues "If I help with this task I'd like very much for aid for my people, they are hard pressed by those drow bastards, and even more so with me gone."

Hey guys my internet probably gonna be down for a week, but I'd like to come back and join back up with this campaign, so I was thinking we could say I went back to the forest and with the help of the harpers banished the drow then caught back up with you. If DM doesn't care if I come back.

Manofmanychars
2008-04-17, 10:22 AM
"Hm, that's quite reasonable. Some of the Harpers have been toying with the idea of intervening, but we were waiting for some outside factor to influence the decision, lest we accidentally shift the balance too far. Your case should do nicely. I'd accompany you myself, but I intend to study the Nether Scrolls after this, along with the mages of this group. You see, once this book is in my possession, I'll have finally collected all of them. I know, I suppose my reasons for obtaining them were slightly selfish, but for some reason, only the least pleasant of people seem to locate them. Now, if you'll excuse me, I must be going, as one of you needs their mount stabled. I'll just keep it at my home for the time being, you'll hardly need it for the short walk down the road into town. It's only about two miles. Ta-ta."

And with a quick flash and a fluttering of robes, Elminster vanished.

Quixotico
2008-04-17, 11:27 AM
Quinitich

Blinking at the mage's sudden exit, she stands up. Taking a moment to note how well the boots fit, she looks at the party. "Well, shall we?" Remembering to reset her charms, she begins walking int eh direction of the town.

Setting the charms to Seren, Malark, Maxwell, and Corth.

Rane126
2008-04-17, 11:53 AM
Max

Max falls in beside Quin walking towards town.

Manofmanychars
2008-04-17, 03:28 PM
(DM Note: I'll let you guys decide on this one, you have honest faces. Do you think the Bracelet of Friends should affect a character's familiars/skeletal minions?)

seekerofshadowl
2008-04-17, 10:33 PM
[sorry guys i havent posted much may have bitten off to much but i'm here. on the familers well the skeleton and malarks staff has no mind so I would say no. the sword would be affected like everyone else...it makes saves too lol }

Manofmanychars
2008-04-17, 10:57 PM
(looks like the thread is slowing down a bit, so we needn't worry too much about losing anyone)

seekerofshadowl
2008-04-17, 11:52 PM
Malark makes his way toward the town with the rest of the group

[ooc yes it slowed down a bit..and did E say he was gonna let us read the complete set as in all 50 scrolls???? maybe not a good ideal really a few but all 50 is alot .]

Manofmanychars
2008-04-18, 12:11 AM
(Well, let's just say I have a way to bypass that study time, and, combined with an activity I have planned for the rest of the gang, it'll fast-forward you guys to a level at which I can finally have you guys do whatever I think of, adventure-wise. Hope you don't mind, I just dislike starting a epic-level, it leaves too many backstory gaps. If you do, we can always stretch out the lower levels into smaller story arcs, I've already come up with a few ways to manage that. Also, Elminster meant all 50 known scrolls AND the other 50 that weren't yet known. I'll just tell you the combined effect of the other five books when/if the time comes, to keep it simple.)

(PS: The bypass method I mentioned has something to do with a very extended variant of Time Stop that Elminster has invented.)

seekerofshadowl
2008-04-18, 12:30 AM
[well both sets are the same 2 complete copys unless you change it so no extra for reading the same scrool or book more then once. and each scroll is +1 level so with all 50 well thats 50 levels but yeah thats will take a while to read]nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnnnnn

edit sorry had to make it longer

Manofmanychars
2008-04-18, 12:33 AM
(I was thinking something in the ballpark of "instant 20". And I thought you said there were 100 scrolls. Are the other 50 just doubles?)

Cheesegear
2008-04-18, 02:18 AM
Just posting to let everyone know I'm still on board for this game. Just can't think of anything to say except "Corth falls in line with the rest." Which is lame. Also, I'm toning down so that Corth's Cloak of Stars (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#robeofStars) can't travel to the Astral Plane at will. I'm going to say;
Grants Weapon Prof (Shuriken)
+5 Shurikens 6/day
+1 Luck Bonus to all saving throws.
Good enough?

seekerofshadowl
2008-04-18, 03:20 AM
(I was thinking something in the ballpark of "instant 20". And I thought you said there were 100 scrolls. Are the other 50 just doubles?)

[ooc sorry for the confusion feel free to change anything as it is your game
Detailed infor

There are 2 sets of scroll.Each set is made of 5 [books] of 10 scrolls each.
One set was stolen by the elves and is whole it lies in windsong tower in myth dronnor polymorphed into a golden breech tree called Quess Ar Teranthvar[the golden tree of knowledge] the 2nd set is not complete its scattered across the realms some scrolls my have even been destroyed
Each scroll is 8"x10" gold metal flexible as paper. Once unroll the page fills with silver writing once you get to the bottom it rearranged itself .It takes one month of dedicated study to read just one scroll.
Reading just 1 scroll will jump an arcane caster up 1 level and halfway to the next.so reading a full [book] will jump you 10 levels
there are 5 books[10 scrolls each] and reading a whole book gives you other ability s

the books are
Arcanus Fundare[foundation of magic:+30 spellcraft checks +1dc to all spells
Magius Creare[Spells of creation:3 bouns item creation feats and xp for making magic items drops 75%
Maior Creare[Major creations]:Craft construct any golem made is max hp
Planus Mechanus[Studies of the planes:Planeshift 1/day ignore hostel environments
Ars FactumCreation of artifacts: unknown no one but the mages of nethil ever uncovered how

Manofmanychars
2008-04-18, 10:27 AM
(Ah, gotcha. But yeah, I'll tone the XP from the Nether Scrolls down to insta-20, but leave the abilities intact. I'll invent a nice one for that Ars Factum book. As for Cheese, that change is cool, but perhaps you could put in its place the ability to move into/out of the Ethereal Plane at will for up to ten minutes of shifted time per day. Shifting would be a free action, and the cloak would let you see the Prime Material more clearly than normal ethereal travelers would. That ability would let you backstab/steal more easily for a little while each day.)

Rane126
2008-04-18, 10:52 AM
Max

ooc: I hope you'll excuse me being a bit lost by the Netherscrolls discussion.

As far as changes to items I am very ok with what people want to change to. Also ok to have Aza go off to clean up drow incursions and join up later on.

Max keeps his eyes open as the group follows the faint smell of woodsmoke along the road towards the inn. He's happy to be out in the open air again.

Spot [roll0] Add +2 if this is a forested area.

Quixotico
2008-04-18, 11:09 AM
Quinitich

(( OOC: If nobody minds me speeding this along... )

Walking into town, Quinitich feels back at home. Granted the village was small compared to the city, and the buildings were short, but the people brought back that sense of purpose. Waiting just long enough for everyone to catch up, she muses, "We'd be best served finding a tavern. Information flows with people." She begins seeking out the tavern, asking for help only if necessary.

[roll0] If necessary.

Manofmanychars
2008-04-18, 02:23 PM
You learn that the only tavern and inn in town is run by Edwina, an extremely irate and bitter woman from Thay. There are rumors that she's a powerful mage, but nobody has any evidence, save for her extensive knowledge of magic (Common Sense DC 0 to figure that she's the person you'll be stealing from:smallwink: ).

(Note: Using Gather Info on Edwina is DC 20, Diplomacy is DC 30, Bluff is DC 20, Intimidate is DC 25, and Sense Motive is DC 5, and you get a -10 circumstance penalty on all rolls unless you play to her ego, -infinite if you mention Elminster OR the Nether Scrolls.)

Rane126
2008-04-18, 05:19 PM
Max

Max shrugs and says, "Then I suppose its off to the inn. We probably need to get rooms anyway."

seekerofshadowl
2008-04-18, 11:34 PM
Malark

"indeed we have much to do it seems let us go"

Manofmanychars
2008-04-19, 02:11 AM
You enter the inn to find that there are only a couple of villagers, sitting as far from the bar as possible. Behind the counter is a rather comely woman with an extremely derisive scowl on her face. As you enter, she looks at you with what can only be described as Dire, Epic-Level, Prestige disdain.

"What do you want? (Simpering little monkeys, I should kill you where you stand!)"

(Note: The parts of Edwina's speech in parentheses are clearly audible, yet said as if she was muttering, and she seems to think she actually is muttering, but as you were warned against provoking her, point that fact out at your own risk. Also, feel free to Detect Alignment on her, but is it really necessary?)

Rane126
2008-04-19, 01:47 PM
Max

Ignoring the insult Max replies, "Good day. We'd like rooms and a mug of ale each to start with please."

Manofmanychars
2008-04-20, 03:46 AM
"Fine, sit down and wait, I'll get your keys. (And perhaps you want a banana, too, yes? All of them are unfit to clean the tongues of those who are worthy of licking my boots.)"

You notice that the ale is already on the bar. The mug is actually extremely clean, and you then notice how well-kept the tavern is. Apparently, the hostess has a decent work ethic, despite her demeanor. At least that superior attitude is based in something not unlike reality, unlike so many others.

Quixotico
2008-04-20, 11:59 AM
Quinitich

Noting the cleanliness, she nods approvingly. "Lovely place. If the food is only half as fine as the building, we'll be in for a treat."

Rane126
2008-04-20, 01:09 PM
Max

"Why thank you." Max hands the mugs out to the others and gestures towards a table for them to sit at, while they take in the room and work out how they are going to lift some scrolls.

Cheesegear
2008-04-20, 04:45 PM
Corth took a mug from Max, with a silent nod. Corth began studying his marks. After being with his 'companions', his itchy fingers were starting to annoy him.
He watched the patrons of the inn for any signs of drunkeness, they were the easiest marks - the drunks. But Corth would settle for anybody. At least, if he didn't see anyone, there was always those scrolls to steal...

Manofmanychars
2008-04-20, 09:52 PM
(Question to Cheese: So, did you drop all signs of planar power from the Robe of Stars, or did you decide on my proposed alternative, the "Ethereal Plane travel at will up to ten minutes per day" effect)

Most of the crowd in the bar was drunk, but they still managed to seem wary. They were apparently regulars, and knew what happened to careless patrons of Edwina's tavern. One of the inebriates at a table in the corner seemed to be the least reserved, making wild gestures and laughing raucously. Not only that, but his coinpurse looked fairly full, and he was sitting on the near side of the table, facing away from the group.

Rane126
2008-04-21, 01:27 PM
Max

Max agrees with Quin's predication about the food and decides to test it out, ordering a selection of dishes to be brought to the table. He looks for other patrons watching them and when he sees an opportunity to talk without being overheard he says quietly, "So, if one were to conceal an item of great value here, where would be the most secure place?"

Quixotico
2008-04-21, 02:49 PM
Quinitich

Keeping her voice low, she muses "Depends on what you think is the greater force at play here; ego or paranoia. The former means it will be right out in the open, or at least right under our noses. The latter means it will be someplace hidden with the greatest of care."

Manofmanychars
2008-04-21, 03:49 PM
The bar is clean, but there is one odd note. Many taverns include several semi-valuable items along the bar to impress the customers or inspire conversation, possibly even influencing the name of the tavern. But this bar was clear of all items, save glasses and bottles of ale and wine. There was nothing that even seemed to be a personal effect of your unkind hostess, save for one thing. Hanging above the bottles behind the bar was an amulet with a blue-and-red stone hanging from it.

(Knowledge: Arcana DC 15 to know something about it, Knowledge: Nobility DC 20, Knowledge: Local DC 15, AND Knowledge: Geography DC 10 to know something else. Yes, all three for one fact, and you may share your rolls if you wish. For those that have played Phoenix Wright, this is the D&D equivalent of five Psyche-Locks.)

seekerofshadowl
2008-04-21, 10:10 PM
while whisperingLooks the type to lord it over I say id be close

[ooc arcane check [roll0]

edit..well that was useless lol.

Rane126
2008-04-22, 12:23 AM
Max

It certainly seems as though she is, but that doesn't mean that she is careless. I imagine the scrolls will be well guarded in some fashion at least. I wonder what that amulet is about, usually I'd expect to see some more decorations around an inn than just that. It must have some significance."

seekerofshadowl
2008-04-22, 12:53 AM
Malark

Well if illusion is involved it could be anywhere. I could detect magic but she would see it and that would be unwise.
malark stars at the amulet trying to recall where he has seen something like it

[ooc can I try to do another check ?]

Manofmanychars
2008-04-22, 01:15 AM
(Make an Int check DC 10 to try again. Increase DC by 2 for each retry. So, DC twelve for a third attempt, etc.)

seekerofshadowl
2008-04-22, 01:27 AM
[ooc opps i got 10 before like it mattered really anyhow. forgot to add my int mod.
2nd try here
[roll0]
does anyone know why it keeps saying its to short when its not?

Manofmanychars
2008-04-22, 01:42 AM
[ooc opps i got 10 before like it mattered really anyhow. forgot to add my int mod.
2nd try here
[roll0]
does anyone know why it keeps saying its to short when its not?

(There you go, re-roll, good luck)

seekerofshadowl
2008-04-22, 01:44 AM
[ooc]so I take it the int check failed . well heres try 3 then[roll0]

Manofmanychars
2008-04-22, 02:11 AM
[ooc]so I take it the int check failed . well heres try 3 then[roll0]

Nope, it succeeded, so that roll is your Knowledge: Arcana roll (same mod, apparently). You now know what it is, generally. It's an amulet used to give wizards additional spells. You've never seen one quite like that one, but there's no doubt about the basic nature of the item (though you have a feeling that it may be more powerful than the typical amulet). Something tells you that there's something preventing it from being useful to other mages, or she wouldn't display it so brazenly. Perhaps it's specific to her? Items that are bound to certain people aren't unheard of.

(If you tell the others about this, the Knowledge: Nobility check DC drops to 10, so long as the same person succeeds at both the Geography and Local checks)

seekerofshadowl
2008-04-22, 02:24 AM
[ooc no i mess up my arcana is +8 i used +4] on that check thats why i said it was 10 I added 4 to it]

Manofmanychars
2008-04-22, 02:49 AM
(Well, alls I know is that you succeeded your retry check, and the next roll was clearly a success for Arcana:smallbiggrin:)

Quixotico
2008-04-22, 10:10 AM
Quinitich

Know:Geography and Local are both class skills for me.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Assuming those are made, the Know: Nobility's DC would drop to 10 with Malark's insight, and thus...

[roll2]

"If we distracted her, do you think you could detect magic unnoticed?"

Manofmanychars
2008-04-22, 10:48 AM
(Well, you made the nobility roll, here's what you know. Feel free to do the DC 10 Int check to remember some detail and re-roll those other two checks. The increasing DC is separate for each, so it's DC 10 for both of them. Also, this assumes that Malark shares his knowledge with you, otherwise, you know squat.)

You know of many noble families that give their members magical amulets that are bound to the wearer, but they're spread across Faerun. As Edwina is clearly from Thay, your options are narrowed to less than ten.

(Geography pinpoints region, Local lets you know which families prefer spellcater's amulets, getting both gives you exactly what you need to know.)

Quixotico
2008-04-22, 11:17 AM
OK, here goes.

[roll0]
If successful, [roll1]

[roll2]
If successful, [roll3]

Manofmanychars
2008-04-22, 12:12 PM
OK, here goes.

[roll0]
If successful, [roll1]

[roll2]
If successful, [roll3]

You remember where you'd seen that sort of material before. It's unique to a certain area of Thay, where three of the noble families reside. Luckily, you remember which ones produce a high number of wizards, and only one is in that region. House Odesseiron. Which is odd, as only the lord's son is given that amulet (which is a unique item that grants the son of Lord Odesseiron an additional spell slot at every spell level). Did Edwina kill him and, being unable to utilize the amulet, decide to display it as a trophy? Elminster never did get around to explaining exactly why Edwina can't be trusted with the Nether Scrolls, or what sort of accident caused her to become so afraid of using them.

(Make a Knowledge: Nobility check at DC 30 to know the name of the heir to House Odesseiron and rightful owner of that amulet. If from the Thay region, make a Knowledge: Local DC 10 check to drop the Nobility DC to 15. If your character has ever been to Thay, make a Local DC 20 to drop the Nobility to 15. If your character is from Athkatla, in Amn, make a Knowledge: Local check DC 15, a Knowledge: Arcana DC 10, and a Knowledge: History DC 5 to have a guess, which will immediately drop the Nobility DC to 10.)

Cheesegear
2008-04-22, 05:15 PM
I don't think Corth counts as coming from Athkatla, as he was taken when he was three/four.

Manofmanychars
2008-04-22, 06:40 PM
I don't think Corth counts as coming from Athkatla, as he was taken when he was three/four.

(Well, I'd normally agree, but you're also a member of the Thieves' Guild. You may have overheard this bit of news, it was quite notable.)

Randel
2008-04-22, 08:01 PM
Serene

Knowledge (arcana): [roll0]
Knowledge (nobility): [roll1]
Knowledge (geography): [roll2]

Cheesegear
2008-04-22, 09:11 PM
Fair enough;
1d20+4
1d20+4
1d20+4

Manofmanychars
2008-04-22, 10:41 PM
(Well, looks like this mystery will be solved if Cheese gets his rolls to work and succeed. :smallwink:)

Manofmanychars
2008-04-24, 04:11 PM
(Um, did everyone leave? Sorry if I said something what offended anyone or something.:smallfrown:)

Cheesegear
2008-04-24, 05:48 PM
K Hist: [roll0]
K Arc: [roll1]
K Nob: [roll2]

EDIT: Corth knows very little about anything.

Manofmanychars
2008-04-24, 09:35 PM
K Hist: [roll0]
K Arc: [roll1]
K Nob: [roll2]

EDIT: Corth knows very little about anything.

(You forgot the K: Local check)

Cheesegear
2008-04-24, 09:47 PM
K Loc: [roll0]

EDIT: Yep, Corth's 18-Int is totally unhelpful.

Rane126
2008-04-24, 09:49 PM
Max

While the others chat about the significance of the amulet Max looks around wondering if that food is going to show up, he's definitely getting peckish.

Manofmanychars
2008-04-24, 10:10 PM
The food arrives, and looks great. It's extremely delicious.

(However, if there are any vegetarians, expect to starve, as all the dishes incorporate meat in some way.)

"Enjoy your food. (You sniveling idiots. If it weren't for that wrinkled old fossil, I wouldn't be stuck serving idiots like this.)"

(That second mumbled sentence requires a Listen DC 10 to hear. DC 5 to catch the insult, but not the "wrinkled old fossil" bit.)

Quixotico
2008-04-24, 10:16 PM
Quinitich

[roll0]

"Mmm... quite delicious. You're quite the chef." she says, not hinting at hearing the comment.

Manofmanychars
2008-04-24, 10:23 PM
"Hmph. (Well, at least you're not total wastes of flesh.)"

Rane126
2008-04-24, 11:19 PM
Max

listen [roll0]

Max's face brightens as the food arrives, "Wow, this looks great! Beef wellington! Roasted potatos, are these... are these roasted parsnips too?" He turns to quin, "Quickly, pinch me, I must be dreaming!"

Quixotico
2008-04-24, 11:27 PM
Quinitich

She gives Maxwell a look and waits for him to turn his attention back to the food. Then, with a smirk, she reaches over and pinches his arm a little harder than playful.

Randel
2008-04-24, 11:30 PM
Serene

Serene breathes in the smell of the food and takes a bite of whats on her plate. "Mmm... this is delicious! I must ask, what's your secret? Oh wait, don't answer..."

Closing her eyes and slowly savoring the morsel, she continues.

"You get your ingredients from a Celestial butcher-shop? I know because this meat tastes simply heavenly!"

Listen check: [roll0]
Taste check (to identify meat): [roll1]
Flattery check (either bluff or diplomacy... same modifier): [roll2]

Not sure if bad-pickup-line level flattery adds a bonus or penalty :smalltongue:

Also note that Serene doesn't know what celestial meat tastes like. She also assumes human or baby flesh tastes like pork and has no qualms if her meal tastes a little like that.

Rane126
2008-04-25, 12:33 AM
Max

"Ow!" Max gives Quin a slightly hurt look, then turns back to the food again. "Nope, seems I wasn't dreaming after all." He says happily.

Manofmanychars
2008-04-25, 10:19 AM
"Thank you. (Finally, I get the respect I deserve! Maybe I won't kill them in their sleep and steal all of those magical trinkets.)"

Even when thanking someone, she sounded bitter, although less so than usual.

(To Cheese, here's what your K: History check dug up:)

You remember overhearing that someone had found a book of the Nether Scrolls in Athkatla. For some reason, it sounded important to the Thieves' Guild.

(Knowledge: History or Local, you can use both, DC 10 to remember a few more details.)

Rane126
2008-04-26, 12:52 PM
Max

Max figures he might as well roll the dice, "Excuse me ma'am," he says to the muttering woman,"We can't help but notice that amulet you have displayed behind the bar there. It's obviously an important item, is there a story behind it, to make it the only decoration?"

Manofmanychars
2008-04-26, 09:11 PM
(roll Diplomacy, Gather Information, Bluff, and Sense Motive to get your response.)

Rane126
2008-04-27, 01:27 AM
Max

Diplomacy [roll0]
Bluff [roll1]
Gather information [roll2]
sense motive [roll3]

Manofmanychars
2008-04-28, 11:53 PM
"What?! Er, uh... this amulet belonged to my, uh, husband, yes. It is just a normal amulet. (...mumble...)"

You realize that she's lying, and how.

(Listen DC 15 to hear the mumbled phrase.)

Rane126
2008-04-29, 12:34 AM
Max

Listen, +2 favoured enemy human: [roll0]

Cheesegear
2008-04-29, 12:57 AM
Listen: [roll0]

EDIT: Corth appears to be 100% useless...

Quixotico
2008-04-29, 09:27 AM
Quinitich

[roll0]

Smiling, she sighs a second before musing, "He must have been a great man. It's not often that a husband thinks to give his wife a gift as beautiful as she is, let alone has the money."

Manofmanychars
2008-04-29, 05:35 PM
(The mumbled phrase was, "How could they know? They must be... yes! There's no other explanation. Well, we shall see who gets the last laugh.")

"I think you misunderstood me. I did not receive it from him, he owned it. As in, he was my late husband. Of course, I am certain you know that is a lie, as you all work for the Red Wizards!"

Before any of you can react, Edwina casts a spell and

(All of you make two DC 51 Will saves or fall asleep due to Edwina casting Time Stop and then hitting you all with double-helpings of the Sleep spell.)

You all come to in a dark room, it looks like a basement. Edwina has tied you all to chairs (really good rope, requires DC 25 strength check to rip, and the knot's good, DC 20 SoH check to undo). Edwina is standing across the room from you. She's wearing the amulet. She looks at both Malark and Saren.

"So, tell me, which of you is the Red Wizard? They never send more than one for any task as small as stealing the Nether Scrolls. Well, before you answer, I shall congratulate you on finding me. My 'disguise' even fooled Elminster. Good work, my former compatriot, on finding the elusive Edwin Odeisseron, former Red Wizard of Thay and owner of the Nether Scrolls. (Well, some of them, at least.)"

She picked up a fine box, clearly mithril, and removed some black scrolls from it.

"It has been years since I've laid eyes on these scrolls. I had hoped to turn myself into a lich, but unfortunately, I became... this. Luckily, one of you fools tracked me down in Athkatla, where I was traveling alongside the Bhaalspawn, suffering his jests about my transformation in silence. The idiot Red Wizard thought I'd done it on purpose, and immediately disspelled it, though I know not how. I, of course, had to kill him, or risk becoming the laughingstock of Faerun. Unfortunately, my attempt to use the power of the scrolls to defeat Elminster ended similarily. And then the fossil had the nerve to cast a special variety of Permanency, so that I am now trapped in this body forever!"

Edwin seemed to realize his (her?) ranting, and calmed down.

"So, which of you is the Red Wizard? Or did they not think me important enough to even send one?"

Cheesegear
2008-04-29, 09:24 PM
Sleight of Hand: [roll0]
If that doesn't work, I take 10, giving me 21...But I don't even need that.

...It's a basement right...?

Corth gave 'Edwina' a wink.
"Looks like you'll never know." Corth said jeerily, as he activated his newly-acquired cloak. A sudden jolt turned Corth's vision into an ephemeral sight of greys, whites and blacks. But, Corth figured that in this form (ethereal and invisible) he could escape the wizard.

Corth 'flew' upwards out of his chair, escaping out of his bonds, and attempts to float through the ceiling.

Bluff: [roll1]
Initiative: [roll2] if it's needed.

If Corth is now in the 'common' room, he makes a
Search: [roll3]
for (non-magical :smallannoyed:) traps on the place where the amulet sits. If not, don't worry about that, and Corth looks around the room and tries to see anything of importance.
Spot: [roll4]

Manofmanychars
2008-04-30, 01:11 AM
(To Cheese)

You notice ethereal barriers around the tavern as dark walls. Apparently, Edwin prepares for anything, something his paranoia betrays. You hear a voice in your head. His voice is, surprisingly, male. His voice has a sinister quality, with an accent as thick as Edwina's.

"My, my, aren't we fussy. The Nether Scrolls have shown me many secrets of magic, including how to place walls of force in the Ethereal Plane and send thoughts to anyone at any time. My change of gender was simply a small mistake. Now, perhaps you'd like to return to your seat before I summon a Pit Fiend under your friends? Or shall I summon a Shade to where you are?"

(To the rest of you)

As Corth disappears, Edwin shook her (his?) head.

"They never learn. He's not the first to attempt such an escape. He's also not the first to fail."

His (her?) face took on a look of concentration for a moment.

"You friend should be back soon. If not, you will all die. Well, you will die anyway, but it will be less painful if you cooperate."

(Also, to Cheese, you all already know that Edwina is Edwin, the heir of the Odesseiron family, and is wearing the amulet. She/he also has the Nether Scrolls with her/him.)

Cheesegear
2008-04-30, 02:25 AM
In short, "No, you can't. DM said so."
...And those were the best rolls I've had all game. :smallfrown:

Corth 'dropped out' of the air about half a foot from the seat of his chair and landed in it with a semi-audible thud. Corth sneered at Edwina. Hopefully this 'link' worked both ways as he thought Wizards. in his mind. He hoped his scowl could come across in thought.

Manofmanychars
2008-04-30, 10:43 AM
(Well, I sorta had that planned for if you didn't set Edwin off, and swiped the Nether Scrolls during the night. You would have had to be corporeal to exit with them. And you made it to the common room, at least. By the way, there was nothing of interest left there. The barrier is along the outer walls and roof of the inn/tavern. Besides, you could have left, I'd have let you keep going. Of course, explaining to Elminster how everyone else got dead and Edwin suddenly decided to move to one of the outer planes might have been hard. He wouldn't need divination to know you totally ditched them.:smallwink:)

"Thank you. I had always thought that that barrier would be more useful against intruders, but apparently, the first sneakthief to be caught by it was trying to escape. Ironic, is it not? Now, I shall repeat my question. Who among you is a Red Wizard?"

Edwin glared at them, then an odd look come onto his/her face.

"Wait... Something looks off about you."

He/she casts a spell on the party. To the mages, it's clearly Know Alignment (with an added area effect).

"What?! Only one of you is evil? Impossible! Unless... you're not working for the Red Wizards of Thay, are you? No, I see it now. I should have known he would attempt to steal the Nether Scrolls after stealing everything else! Elminster sent you, didn't he?! Well, we shall see who is the victor this time!"

He/she begins to cast a very familiar-sounding spell (Black Blade of Disaster), when he's suddenly interrupted by the sound of breaking ropes. George, under the control of his intelligent sword (DM's note: I bet you thought I'd forgotten it, and George along with it, huh?), struck at Edwin.

"What? A skeleton? How did you hide that sword? No matter, you are not match for me!"

(To Seren, who had been tied up next to George.)

You notice that when he got up, George, also under the sword's influence, sliced partway through your ropes (DC 5 strength to break). You see a discarded dagger on the floor (possibly dropped from Edwin's belt, as his dagger sheath is empty). You see your group's weapons next to the single torch in the room.

(Seren, roll initiative and, if you want to, give George more specific orders. You'll also be rolling George's attacks and stuff, still. Corth, you didn't get re-tied, as Edwin was too busy monologing, so roll initiative as well, and you can grab your weapons when you're ready. Everyone else, roll initiative. You guys can escape by taking 10 on Slight of Hand, but you'll take three rounds to do it, minus one round for every five points your check exceeds ten.)

Quixotico
2008-04-30, 10:54 AM
Quinitich

Damn, I wrote a whole long distraction diatribe, then thought to check and see if anything had happened.

Taking 10 on Sleight of Hand (or Escape Artist) gives me 15. So... two rounds.

[roll0]

Quinitich gets to work on freeing herself.

Cheesegear
2008-04-30, 04:34 PM
Initiative: [roll0]

Corth gets out of the chair and tries to retrieve his weapons.

Rane126
2008-04-30, 05:27 PM
Max

Does the Dimension door spell on the cape that Max has allow movement out of his bonds or will the chair he is tied to move with him? If he can't DD escape the bonds he's going to have to wait out the 3 rounds taking 10 on slipping the ropes.

Initiaitve for when it counts [roll0]

Manofmanychars
2008-04-30, 07:45 PM
(Well, the cape requires you to flourish it in front of you to activate. BUT, it's not tied to you, it's hanging there. Make two rolls to see if you can swing it in front of you enough without your hands. Strength DC 5 for the inertia, Dex DC 10 for the flexibility of your neck and shoulders.)