PDA

View Full Version : Feat for Fortitude

Seatbelt
2008-04-09, 01:45 AM
Is there a feat that allows you to use a different ability score for your fortitude save? My vampire NPC is mostly indestructible (this is the battle that determines if the party is actually as strong as they think they are) but his fortitude save is like.. 7. He can't use any magic items (He was destroyed, and now I reveal how the whole time he was trying to get the party to destroy him, to break an ancient curse and free him from improsonment, and he's already been looted). His other saves are great, and I really don't care which ability score it gets tied to, as they are all right around 20 (Ravenloft ancient vampire template for the win).

I could always use rule 0, but that would feel like cheating.

Talic
2008-04-09, 02:14 AM
Vamps get immunity to any fort save that doesn't affect objects... What is he gonna be hit with?

Kizara
2008-04-09, 02:21 AM
Undead casters use their Charisma modifer for Concentration checks, so you could site that as precedent if you want to rule-zero.

Armar
2008-04-09, 02:31 AM
Vamps get immunity to any fort save that doesn't affect objects... What is he gonna be hit with?

Disintegrate.

I mean, what kind of arcane spellcaster doesn't take disintegrate? It's like one of the best spells that you can throw at an undead, since their fort sucks and even in the off-chance that it saves, it still does some damage. With the lack of Con modifier, a level 20 vampire will have an avarage of 130 hit points, which sucks. If a level 20 wizards shoots a disintegrate, it'll deal an avarage of 140 damage, giving him a statistical edge against the vamp. Add in some metamagic like Split ray and maybe Maximize from a metamagic rod, and you have a Deathray.

Even though a perfect wizard _will_ focus mostly on non-damaging spells, it's always good to have at least one disintegrate ready, or even better to have few disintegrates on a scroll inside your Handy Haversack. Move action to take out the scroll, Standard action to take out the opponent.

RTGoodman
2008-04-09, 07:09 AM
I've got to get to class and don't have time to look through it, but I'm betting the X Stat to Y Bonus (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=320889) compendium has something for you.

If not, cloaks/vests of resistance are relatively cheap, and I'm sure you can find some other items to buff your Fort save.

TempusCCK
2008-04-09, 08:43 AM
a level 20 vampire will have an avarage of 130 hit points

Umm, what? With no CON score they're going to average 6 on a D12 for twenty levels, that's 120 HP, not 130, unless I'm missing some thing obscure in the Vampire template description?

To OP: You're a vampire, there is no protection for you from the righteous, you will wither and melt in the face of Good, delivered on the hurty ray of some mages arcane wrath!

*slash slash slash*

Douglas
2008-04-09, 08:48 AM
Umm, what? With no CON score they're going to average 6 on a D12 for twenty levels, that's 120 HP, not 130, unless I'm missing some thing obscure in the Vampire template description?
The average for a d12 is 6.5, not 6.

Adumbration
2008-04-09, 09:03 AM
Disintegrate.

I mean, what kind of arcane spellcaster doesn't take disintegrate? It's like one of the best spells that you can throw at an undead, since their fort sucks and even in the off-chance that it saves, it still does some damage. With the lack of Con modifier, a level 20 vampire will have an avarage of 130 hit points, which sucks. If a level 20 wizards shoots a disintegrate, it'll deal an avarage of 140 damage, giving him a statistical edge against the vamp. Add in some metamagic like Split ray and maybe Maximize from a metamagic rod, and you have a Deathray.

Or Sudden Maximize. That'll kill him at the earliest levels you can get Disintegrate, unless he manages to succeed with his measly fort save. Which might happen, but still.

SilentNight
2008-04-09, 09:09 AM
Back to the OP, there is a feat called dexterous fortitude that allows you to substitute your reflex save for a fortitude save once per round. However, it is an epic feat and has slippery mind as a prerequisite.( which may or may not be a problem for you.

Tokiko Mima
2008-04-09, 11:05 AM
If you're not averse to taking a level of Warlock, the least invocation Dark One's Own Luck solves this problem for you by adding your Charisma to your Fortitude save (or whatever other save you choose.) An even better solution might be slapping on 2 levels of Blackguard and adding Charisma to all your saves.

If you don't plan on making a Fortitude save more than once an encounter you could also take Martial Study: Mind over Body (or is it Body over Mind?) and make a Concentration check instead of a Fort save. Undead use their Charisma instead of constitution as a bonus and you probably have a decent Concentration skill already.

Chronos
2008-04-09, 11:24 AM
Another class that does it is Exemplar, with Charisma added to Fort saves at level 4. Probably not an option, though, since it's a fair number of levels into a late-entry PrC.

Prometheus
2008-04-09, 12:58 PM
You could always have a minion or two that focuses on counterspelling the first couple of Disintegrate attempts, and adds buffs to the vampire.

Craig1f
2008-04-09, 01:20 PM
Although it's not what you're asking for, a ring of counterspell with disintegrate cast into it would help.

Seatbelt
2008-04-09, 07:09 PM
His ring of counterspells got looted already. I think I'll just cheat. I dont expect him to be needing to make a fortitude save, but I really never know what kind of crazy things my party will do.

Talic
2008-04-09, 07:13 PM
There is a spell called Spell Immunity, that allows you to select a couple spells that you're totally immune to.

Chronos
2008-04-09, 07:22 PM
Yeah, but Spell Immunity only covers spells up to level 4. You'd need Greater Spell Immunity to stop a Disintegrate.