PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding improving natural psi abilities

LibraryOgre
2008-04-09, 10:34 AM
So, in my Suggest me a character thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77215), I've more or less settled on a character who is both psychic and Tome of Battle (a Githerzerai Swordsage... with maybe a level of Monk).

However, I have a question regarding improving natural psi abilities by expending power points that I would like some help on. My Githerzerai has a power Concussion which, I am assuming, refers to "Concussion Blast". It normally costs 3 PSPs, but he gets 3 free activations a day. Since he's 4th level, and he can only spend as many points on an ability as he has levels, can he spend 1 PSP on it (which does nothing, but would bring its theoretical cost up to 4), or 2 (his maximum, and enough to improve it)?

Starbuck_II
2008-04-09, 10:45 AM
So, in my Suggest me a character thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77215), I've more or less settled on a character who is both psychic and Tome of Battle (a Githerzerai Swordsage... with maybe a level of Monk).

However, I have a question regarding improving natural psi abilities by expending power points that I would like some help on. My Githerzerai has a power Concussion which, I am assuming, refers to "Concussion Blast". It normally costs 3 PSPs, but he gets 3 free activations a day. Since he's 4th level, and he can only spend as many points on an ability as he has levels, can he spend 1 PSP on it (which does nothing, but would bring its theoretical cost up to 4), or 2 (his maximum, and enough to improve it)?

Psi-like abilities are only naturally augmented: you can't spend your power points on them.

Naturall Augmentation means: it naturally augments itself for free up to your Racial manifester level (usually 1/2 HD).
Nope, you aren't 4th level manifester. I just checked it was 1/2 HD= racial manifester for Gith (either type).

Even though, you normally could manifest Concussion blast with power points: you still do with racial Psi-like powers. So until you reach level 8, you deal minimum Concussion damage 1d6 damage.
The Reason is your manifester won't be 4 till level 8.

LibraryOgre
2008-04-09, 10:54 AM
OK, thanks.

Chronos
2008-04-09, 01:39 PM
What if a psi-like ability emulates a power that can be augmented in multiple ways? Some powers, for instance, can be augmented by 1 to increase the bonus, or be augmented by 4 to be manifested as an immediate action. Can the creature with the ability choose which way it gets automatically augmented? Is the choice made once, or can it be different for each use of the ability?

Starbuck_II
2008-04-09, 02:10 PM
What if a psi-like ability emulates a power that can be augmented in multiple ways? Some powers, for instance, can be augmented by 1 to increase the bonus, or be augmented by 4 to be manifested as an immediate action. Can the creature with the ability choose which way it gets automatically augmented? Is the choice made once, or can it be different for each use of the ability?

page 184, Psi-like abilities, XPH (Expanded Psionics Handbook) says yes, you make the choice each time you manifest it.

Same as manifesting a power really.