PDA

View Full Version : Need More Obyriths and Loumara...

TheCountAlucard
2008-04-09, 01:47 PM
(I'm not certain, but this may be too long to post in the Request a Homebrew thread, so I thought I'd post it here...)

I'm thinking of making an Abyss-heavy campaign sometime, possibly involving the Blood Wars. Fiendish Codex I has been extremely helpful to me, introducing me to the ancient Obyriths, the enigmatic Loumara, and a boatload more Tanar'ri.

However, as awesome as the idea of the eldritch demons are, they are altogether too few in variety. The Sibriex and Ekolid are outright terrifying, but a party's going to get tired of Obyriths altogether if these are the only two varieties they come across. The problem is the same with Loumara. The Dybbuk and Guecubu both make for interesting sessions, but over the course of a campaign, they'd lose their impact.

I'm looking for some more Obyriths and Loumara to add to a campaign of Abyssal adventures. I'd like at least three of each type to add. I'd prefer demons with a CR somewhere between 5 and 15, but I realize beggars can't be choosers.

So, can you guys help me?

Baron Corm
2008-04-09, 05:34 PM
Whew, I'm all demoned out.

Fenwraith

I don't remember exactly how possession works, so feel free to make that fit what it's supposed to be. I just wrote a general idea of the fluff down too, so you can fit it to your campaign.

Size/Type: Colossal Outsider (Incorporeal, Loumara, Chaotic, Evil)
Hit Dice: 13d8+169 (227 hp)
Initiative: +5
Speed: 20 feet fly (perfect)
Armor Class: 8, touch 8, flat-footed 3 (-8 size, +5 dex, +1 deflection)
Base Attack/Grapple: +13/+29
Attack: Incorporeal touch +18 melee (3d10 plus 2d4 Constitution drain)
Full Attack: Incorporeal touch +18 melee (3d10 plus 2d4 Constitution drain)
Space/Reach: 30 ft./20 ft.
Special Attacks: Possession
Special Qualities: Immunity to electricity, acid, and fire, resistance to cold 10, telepathy 100 feet
Saves: Fort +21, Ref +13, Will +14
Abilities: Str -, Dex 20, Con 37, Int 1, Wis 23, Cha 5
Skills: Survival +22, Hide +15, Listen +22
Feats: 4 feats, Track
Enviroment: Swamps
Organization: Solitary
Challange Rating: 13?
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Chaotic Evil
Advancement: 14-22 HD (Colossal)
Level Adjustment: —

Fenwraiths resemble gigantic, demonic, ghostly wolves. Their preferred hunting grounds are swamps, because their giant size allows them to appear as just part of the misty scenery.

Combat

A fenwraith will typically begin combat by possessing the nearest aggressive creature. If it fails, it will go into a frenzy, batting anything nearby with its incorporeal touch. If it succeeds, and kills its target, it will move on to possessing the next creature.

Possession (Su)

Fenwraiths are capable of possessing any living creature. After possessing the creature, they tear them apart from the inside, dealing 1 point of Constitution drain each round. This number doubles for each size category that the creature is smaller than the fenwraith. Fenwraiths use their Wisdom score instead of their Charisma score to determine their Possession DC.

Skills

Fenwraiths have a +10 racial bonus to Hide checks when in a swampy or misty area. This is already added in the stat block.

X

Name not yet decided. Fluff basic as before. Just sort of throwing out some ideas.

Size/Type: Small Outsider (Obyrith, Chaotic, Evil)
Hit Dice: 1d8-1 (3 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 40 feet
Armor Class: 12, touch 12, flat-footed 11 (+1 size, +1 dex)
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-4
Attack: Draining Touch +1 melee (1d2 level drain) or Claw +1 melee (1d2-1)
Full Attack: Draining Touch +1 melee (1d2 level drain) or Claw +1 melee (1d2-1)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Spells
Special Qualities: Immune to poison, immune to mind-affecting, resistance to cold, electricity, acid, and fire 10, fast healing 1 per HD, form of madness, true seeing, telepathy 100 feet
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +3, Will +2
Abilities: Str 8, Dex 12, Con 9, Int 15, Wis 10, Cha 31
Skills: Spellcraft +6, Knowledge (arcana) +6, Knowledge (the planes) +6, Knowledge (religion) +6, Spot +4, Listen +4, Concentration +3, Bluff +14, Sense Motive +4, Knowledge (nobility and royalty) +6
Feats: 1 feat, differs but always spellcasting-related
Enviroment: The Abyss
Organization: Solitary or one of each HD (Coven)
Challange Rating: 7?
Treasure: Standard
Advancement: 2-8 HD (Small), 9 HD (Medium), 10 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: -

Xes have been practitioners of magic since the start of it all. They have a much more intimate connection with magic than any current wizard or sorceror could ever hope to achieve.

Combat

Xes use their spells to defeat their opponents. If a creature seems to be affected by the X's Form of Madness, the X will go in for a level draining touch.

Spells (Su)

A X knows one first level spell from any spell list. He receives a spell known of second level if he advances his hit dice, and so on, up to level 9. At 10 HD, instead of learning a tenth level spell, a X learns one more spell known from each level.

The spells known differ for each X. They may be cast at will as supernatural abilities, though metamagic feats are applied to them as if they were spell-like abilities. A X's caster level is equal to twice his hit dice. The DC for these spells is equal to (11 + spell level + Charisma bonus).

Level Drain (Su)

Whenever a X drains levels from a creature, instead of receiving temporary hit points, it adds that many hit dice to itself. These hit dice last for 1 day for each hit dice drained. A X cannot gain above 10 hit dice, though he can add to the duration of his current extra hit dice even if he already has 10.

Form of Madness (Su)

A X's form speaks of ancient demonic magic. A creature who fails its save has a 25% chance each round to take no actions and lose its Dexterity bonus to AC as it becomes engrossed in the evil arcane secrets, none of which it understands. This lasts for as long as the creature remains close enough to be affected by the X's Form of Madness.

Bilaceratyx

I was going to make an obyrith/loumara combo, then realized that was completely impossible, because one is the most ancient of demons and the other is the newest of demons. Then I got an idea...

Size/Type: Large Outsider (Chaotic, Evil, Obyrith)
Hit Dice: 14d8+140 (213 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 20 feet
Armor Class: 28, touch 9, flat-footed 28 (-1 size, +13 natural, +6 banded mail)
Base Attack/Grapple: +14/+24
Attack: Slam +19 melee (2d8+6)
Full Attack: 2 Slams +19 melee (2d8+6)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Loumara trap, crush, spiked flesh, ancient toughness, nightmare mastery
Special Qualities: Immune to poison, immune to mind-affecting, resistance to cold, electricity, acid, and fire 10, fast healing 7, form of madness, true seeing, telepathy 100 feet, sleeper stalker, spell resistance 24, damage reduction 5/-
Saves: Fort +14, Ref +9, Will +10
Abilities: Str 23, Dex 10, Con 21, Int 15, Wis 12, Cha 9
Skills: Knowledge (all) +19
Feats: 4 feats, Power Attack
Organization: Solitary or 2 (Dipod)
Challange Rating: 7 (lol, something low to keep it scary)
Advancement: 15-44 HD (Large)

Bilaceratyxes appear to be a mishmosh of spikes and flesh, charcoal colored but with glowing red eyes. Their "arms" have no hands, instead ending in stumps, but are unusually long and flexible. They are known for their control over nightmares in addition to their physical strength. It is this which allows them to shape their basic form into whatever would be most frightening to its opponent.

Bilaceratyxes are a tough and tactical obyrith, so it is no surprise that they have survived where many obyriths have died out. Their resourcefulness has led them to adopt the wearing of armor, as well as knowledge of most current worldly affairs.

With the birth of the loumaras, bilaceratyxes have discovered a power that they never before knew; the power to trap loumaras within themselves, greatly bolstering their own abilities. This has increased their usefulness to the current demon lords, so they should be around for much, much longer.

Bilaceratyxes speak all languages, including secret languages. There is a possibility that the bilaceratyx may not know the language if it was first created within the last few decades.

Combat

A bilaceratyx is a crafty fiend. The whole battle, it may seem as if he is rampaging randomly, but he is in fact maneuvering into position to use his crush attack. If he respects his prey as combatants, he will use his ancient toughness ability as soon as possible.

Ancient Toughness (Ex)

Bilaceratyxes are like a demonic representation of pure carnal toughness and ferocity, from a time when these concepts were fresh and young. They receive twice the normal bonus to hit points from their Constitution bonus, add their Constitution bonus as a natural armor bonus to AC, and have 50% Fortification. In addition, a bilaceratyx can double its current Strength and Constitution scores as a full-round action. This effect lasts for 5 rounds, and may only be performed every 1d6 minutes.

Crush (Ex)

Bilaceratyxes may seem slow, and they are. However, when a creature gets into just the right position, the bilaceratyx can bring its gigantic appendages down with great speed and force onto that spot. As a swift action, the bilaceratyx can attack with both of its slam attacks whenever a creature is exactly 10 feet away from it on either its left or its right. Both of these attacks do double damage, if they hit.

Spiked Flesh (Ex)

Any creature attacking a bilaceratyx with a natural or unarmed melee attack automatically takes 1d8+6 points of damage. A creature attacking a bilaceratyx with any other non-reach melee attack must have an attack roll made against it as a free action to deal this damage.

Sleeper Stalker (Su)

A bilaceratyx cannot be sensed by a sleeping creature. It does not need to make Hide or Move Silently checks against one, and cannot be smelled, felt, or tasted.

Nightmare Mastery (Su)

Bilaceratyxes have the ability to control the nightmares of a sleeping creature, causing the effects of it to persist even after waking. This functions as a bestow greater curse spell, with a caster level equal to the bilaceratyx's hit dice. It can only be used if the creature is already having bad dreams. Bilaceratyxes gain as much pleasure from ruining lives with this ability as they do killing creatures; perhaps even more so.

Bilaceratyxes can sense nightmares and those having them at a range up to their telepathy range.

Loumara Trap (Su)

Bilaceratyxes can be possessed by any loumara, even if it would not normally fall under the list of things that loumara could possess. It always appears to the loumara to be the most optimal target for possession in range. The bilaceratyx gains the special qualities and special attacks of the possessing loumara, and is not controlled by it in any way. If any of the loumara's ability scores are higher than the bilaceratyx's, the bilaceratyx uses that score instead of his own.

The trapped loumara may make saves to escape the bilaceratyx as if it were being possessed itself. These save DCs are Constitution-based. In addition, a true seeing spell or similar will allow a loumara to recognize a bliaceratyx for what it really is.

Form of Madness (Su)

A bilaceratyx's form is akin to an amalgamation of all of the most horrible nightmares ever dreamt, and can be tailor-made to fit its current enemy's worst nightmare; any creature who fails its save becomes panicked. Instead of cowering when backed into a corner, the creature becomes literally petrified. It is surmised that cornered victims are what compose the spikes on a bilaceratyx, but none have lived to confirm that.

TheCountAlucard
2008-04-09, 10:08 PM
I particularly like the bilaceratyx and the fenwraith.

Thanks, man.

By the way, I think Outsiders have d10 Hit Dice, but I might be wrong.

Baron Corm
2008-04-09, 10:38 PM
You're welcome. I might make more obyriths tomorrow... demons are fun because they can have all kinds of random abilities. Loumara are just kind of like, ghosts, yeah, I can't think of anything really creative to do with them. Maybe if you gave some more information about your campaign?

It is definitely d8 though, that was copy/paste from SweetRein's template thing, and I just checked the SRD :smalltongue:

TheCountAlucard
2008-04-09, 11:06 PM
Sorry! My mistake! You're right!

As for the campaign, I'm still working on it. It'll focus mostly on the Abyss; it might even start there. I figure I'll start the PCs at ECL 5, and they can work their way up from there.

Baron Corm
2008-04-10, 03:41 PM
Boy, these are fun. Challenge ratings are, as always, completely wrong.

Firecracker Demon
Size/Type: Medium Outsider (Obyrith, Chaotic, Evil)
Hit Dice: 18d8+36 (117 hp)
Initiative: +7
Speed: 30 feet
Armor Class: 21, touch 17, flat-footed 14 (+7 dex, +4 natural)
Base Attack/Grapple: +18/+21
Attack: Claw +25 melee (1d4+3 plus 1d8 hellfire)
Full Attack: 2 claws +25 melee (1d4+3 plus 1d8 hellfire)
Special Attacks: Crack, firecracker touch
Special Qualities: Immune to poison, immune to mind-affecting, resistance to electricity and acid 10, immune to fire, fast healing 6, form of madness, true seeing, telepathy 100 feet
Saves: Fort +13, Ref +18, Will +12
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 25, Con 15, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 23
Skills: 10 skills max rank 21
Feats: 6 feats, Weapon Finesse
Organization: Solitary or 2-6
Challange Rating: 11?
Advancement: By character class

Firecracker demons are essentially fire elementals gone wrong. The flesh of their bodies drips a mixture of mucous and magma, and the air around them cracks with heat and potential energy, especially concentrated at their clawed fingertips. Their ability to create as-of-yet irresistible hellfire is what makes them most dangerous. They were the sole source of it for aeons, until Mephistopheles found out how to make it for himself.

Firecracker demons tend to advance themselves in character classes instead of seeking to become stronger demons. This is because, while their hit dice are only transferred over to their fireballs at a rate of one per six HD, character classes are transferred at a rate of one per level.

Combat

Firecracker demons are somewhat formidable fighters on their own, but when threatened, at low health, or just in the mood to have some fun, they will use their Crack ability.

Crack (Su)

As an immediate action, a firecracker demon can explode into 6 firecracker fireballs. The stats for them are given below. They may each act on the firecracker demon's next (or current) turn, retaining the same initiative order, however they lose the immediate action which was used already. This splitting deals 12d6 hellfire damage to all creatures within 20 feet of the explosion, with a Reflex save for half damage (DC 25, Charisma-based).

Firecracker Touch (Su)

A firecracker demon who hits with his claw attack causes a tiny explosion which deals an additional 3d6 hellfire damage to the target creature and other creatures in the same square, with a Reflex save for half damage (DC 26, Dexterity-based).

Form of Madness (Su)

Firecracker demons consist of fire from the deepest of hellpits. Their visage is one to haunt forever, burned upon the mind of the victim; any creature who fails its save is unable to close its eyes until it is the subject of a remove curse spell and an atonement spell. This prevents sleeping (or trancing) and may cause blindness from lack of blinking. A creature who becomes blind or was blind already is forced to think about the hellfire, so it dies.

Firecracker Fireball
Size/Type: Small Outsider (Obyrith, Chaotic, Evil)
Hit Dice: 3d8+6 (19 hp)
Initiative: +7
Speed: 50 feet fly (good)
Armor Class: 18, touch 18, flat-footed 11 (+1 size, +7 dex)
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+2
Attack: Burning touch +10 melee (1d8 hellfire)
Full Attack: Burning touch +10 melee (1d8 hellfire)
Special Attacks: Regroup, firecracker touch
Special Qualities: Immune to poison, immune to disease, immune to mind-affecting, not subject to critical hits or ability damage or drain, immune to physical damage, immune to energy damage except cold, fast healing 1, form of madness, true seeing, telepathy 100 feet
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +10, Will +4
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 25, Con 15, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 23
Skills: 10 skills max rank 6
Feats: 1 feat, Weapon Finesse
Organization: Always 6
Challange Rating: 11? for 6 of them; same as firecracker in demon form
Advancement: By character class

Firecracker fireballs are mostly insubstantial and shapeless demonic fireballs which attack by throwing themselves at their targets and exploding, shortly thereafter regenerating. The only known way to defeat them is with large amounts of cold damage applied quickly, or with powerful death or energy drain spells.

Combat

Firecracker fireballs always work together, as they share the same mind. They like to play with their victims, as they cannot be easily hurt. At the first sign of frost, they will either focus their fire on the source, or flee. They tend not to regroup until out of sight of any other creatures, or if one of their weaknesses is nearby and fleeing is impossible.

Regroup (Su)

As a full-round action, a firecracker demon may join together his 6 fireball parts, as long as they are all alive and adjacent. If any have died, he cannot regroup. The firecracker demon has the same health he had before cracking.

Firecracker Touch (Su)

A firecracker fireball who hits with his burning touch attack explodes and does 6d6 hellfire damage to all creatures (including the original target) within 10 feet with a Reflex save for half damage (DC 18, Dexterity-based). It reforms as a free action with full hit points, after the damage is dealt.

Form of Madness (Su)

As firecracker demon.

Bontyke
Size/Type: Small Outsider (Loumara, Incorporeal, Chaotic, Evil)
Hit Dice: 9d8-27 (13 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 30 feet fly (perfect)
Armor Class: 12, touch 12, flat-footed 12 (+1 size, +1 deflection)
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+5
Attack: Incorporeal touch +9 melee (1d3 Strength)
Full Attack: Incorporeal touch +9 melee (1d3 Strength)
Special Attacks: Possession, glibness
Special Qualities: Immune to acid, electricity, and fire, resistance to cold 10, telepathy 100 feet, mind into matter
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +15
Abilities: Str -, Dex 11, Con 4, Int 29, Wis 29, Cha 4
Skills: 13 skills max rank 12, Hide +16, Knowledge (arcana, religion, the planes) +21
Feats: 4 feats
Organization: Solitary
Challange Rating: 7
Advancement: By bonuses stolen

Bontykes feed off of the magical bonds between magician and pet. They might masquerade for months, feeding off the energy of both, before finally killing both and moving on to their next victims.

Possession (Su)

Bontykes are capable of possessing any animal companion or familiar. A bontyke slowly removes the bonuses given to the companion and adds them to itself. This rate is dependent on the bonuses, but generally it's 1 ability score per day, 1 natural armor every other day, or 1 hit die per week. In addition, the master takes penalties equal to the bonuses removed. These changes are permanent unless the bontyke is killed.

When stealing bonus hit dice, bontykes gain a level of spellcasting in the class of the companion's master in addition to a hit die (of outsider). This does not grant the bontyke any class features except spellcasting.

Mind Into Matter

Bontykes are not very good at coaxing, and have low inherent magical powers, but still are very adept at forcing their way into a host. They add both their Intelligence and Wisdom modifiers to their Possession DC, instead of their Charisma bonus (this makes it DC 32).

Glibness (Sp)

Bontykes can cast glibness as a spell-like ability at will. They use this ability to pose as the companion.

DracoDei
2008-04-10, 04:28 PM
Bilaceratyx spikes should not get a counter-attack against reach weapons.

Scaboroth
2008-04-10, 10:07 PM
Have you perused "The Book of Fiends" by Green Ronin Press? It is far and away my favorite 3rd-party sourcebook of all time. It is split in three sections - demons, daemons (not yugoloths), and devils. The section on the Abyss presents a subtype of demons known as "qlippoths" which match the flavor of obyriths perfectly. Check it out - you won't be disappointed.

TheCountAlucard
2008-04-11, 01:05 AM
I haven't. Where can I find one?

weishan
2008-04-11, 05:46 AM
Breaking the flow here, all of the monsters presented here are too powerful for their CRs. Most outsiders have CRs within 3 points above or 1 point below their HD owing to the extreme awesomeness of the outsider HD. I would also consider adding SLAs to some. It should also be noted that WOTC's Obryths were not remotely humanoid, being so aincient as to be too old to be shaped by beliefs of mortals into a more humanoid form (since humans weren't around then).