PDA

View Full Version : Age of Ruin OOC: Facing down destiny

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

Ozzy_G
2008-08-03, 03:52 PM
Yes, the spell is still active.

Toliudar
2008-08-03, 03:52 PM
Ozzy, just seeking a clarification - there's no real distinction between gods and demons in the minds of Davethrans, right? Gothul was both, as I understand it.

Ozzy_G
2008-08-03, 03:59 PM
Well, actually there is. Gothul was both (somehow...) but Davethrans do know that Demons come from Goramesh, and are summoned, and evil, while Gods are, well, Gods. Except they were also told Gods are evil. But since the empire has died and the conquered people, like the Zhan and the Mokai, have started worshipping their old gods, the distinction is clearer.

Lycar
2008-08-03, 05:23 PM
Hrm okay then, Orin tries to use his Hymn of Fortification to lift any compulsion any evil entity might have placed on Azakan.

Costs a daily use of Bardic Music and works like Protection from Evil as far as protection from mental control by evil creatures is concerned.

Although i have that feeling that the force in question isn't actually evil per se. :smallconfused:

Lycar

The Great Skenardo
2008-08-03, 08:48 PM
I think one of the tenets of the priests of the guardian of heart's blood is being vague.

Toliudar
2008-08-03, 11:27 PM
Don't forget haughty and impatient.

Ozzy_G
2008-08-04, 07:45 AM
You may wish to make Sense Motive checks again.

I'm trying to remember how many priests the players have met...
The priest of the Kael Vorn (the Mokai Gods) who was beaten up and murdered at the beginning of the game shouted vague things if I remember correctly.
Orvak, the Dwarven cleric of Gothul that Azakan exposed to Orin, Khorik, Hern and Gareth, and then dominated to lead them to his boss (Sumner and Kaleff fought the two Clerics of Gothul at the camp of the warlord outside Mokar until Orin, Khorik, Hern, Gareth and Azakan rode to the rescue, literally), was quite vague, and haughty, though not particularly impatient.
Krashnix, the Cleric of Isana, whom you all saw at the Bronze Cauldron tavern and Orin travelled with, was not vague, haughty or impatient, but he did have a furious temper.
The clerics of Silarthis that Orin fought were more trying to kill Orin and co than being vague or impatient. I guess they were haughty.
I think that's all the previous priests.

Toliudar
2008-08-04, 09:27 AM
Fascinating. An interesting mix of folk, anyway.

Oh, and the priests that we "met" briefly yesterday. I'd guess that introducing your arrival with a fireball/flame strike/whatever that was would count as impatient.

Lycar
2008-08-04, 10:17 AM
Orin is still trying to make sense of all this, although his cynical nature makes it hard for him to sense any other motive then 'it'll benefit me, screw the rest of the world' ....

Sense Motive: [roll0]

Lycar

The Great Skenardo
2008-08-04, 10:33 AM
Sure, Sense Motive.
[roll0]

edit: :smallsigh:

Ozzy_G
2008-08-04, 01:08 PM
Orin thinks People aren't lying here, but Wesal isn't giving the whole picture, it's half-truths, and Azakan knows this.

knewsom
2008-08-04, 01:49 PM
Daven'll throw in a SM too.

[roll0]

too bad the "senses" aura doesn't help out with these...

Lycar
2008-08-04, 02:54 PM
Yeah well... we all believe that something is fishy here but we can't figure it out. So all we can do right now is throwing skill rolls and class features at it.

Dammit, that is the problem if your characters are smarter then yourself, you have real trouble living up to it. :smallfrown:

Seriously, this whole story is too good to be true, ergo it can not be true. There has to be a catch somewhere but i can't for the life of me figure out what it is. Beside the obvious part about all nobles effectivly becoming slaves to the crown that is.

And Azakan was all about getting that time amulet to summon troops from the other timeline, so wasn't ruling out warfare to oust the archmages before.

I think that means he never intended to use the crown himself. But what is so bad about being condemned to be emperor that makes Azakan so desperate? Orin had that dream that might be a clue but... :smallconfused:

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-08-04, 03:55 PM
Lycar, do you remember what Azakan told Orin and Tharok when everyone else was on the other side of the portal between the two ruins, and you three were alone? I'm not saying that's true of course, I was just making sure you knew at least what Azakan told you.

Noblesavage, the realisation you see on Azakan's face is at the same time as he realises what would happen if Sumner commited suicide, and then realises it won't work, hence the then dejected look.

Toliudar
2008-08-04, 04:55 PM
Ismal sense motive, just in case: [roll0]

And let's call the last little while she's spent trying to defuse the situation and get Wesal to calm the heck down and tell them what he actually knows a diplomacy check: [roll1]

NobleSavage
2008-08-04, 06:22 PM
Sense Motive [roll0]
...not that he really needs it.

NobleSavage
2008-08-04, 07:47 PM
And for this new statement
Sense Motive [roll0]

The Great Skenardo
2008-08-04, 07:51 PM
Whatever happened to trust?
[roll0]

Ozzy_G
2008-08-05, 06:23 AM
Sumner and Kaleff have the impression that Wesal's not actually lying, but perhaps is not telling the whole truth.
Also: Kaleff asked "I mean, will Sumner's soul be the soul of the god, or will another control the body?"
Wesal answered "No-one else will control Sumner's body," which you think is a slightly odd way of answering, as if to give a wrong impression without actually lying.

Ismal asked "why a priest of another god, such as yourself, would be so eager to create a new god to rule over the Davethrans. From what little I know of your god, wouldn't he - she? - be a better candidate in your mind?"
Wesal answered "My God simply wants Davethra to be as it should be. My God has their own responsibilities." Again, this is a slighty roundabout way of answering, a bit odd.

Ozzy_G
2008-08-05, 01:47 PM
You know, you guys might as well make sense motive checks after every statement that Azakan and Wesal make...

knewsom
2008-08-05, 01:54 PM
here we go.... [roll0]

Ozzy_G
2008-08-05, 02:01 PM
Wow, Draven sure is an expert at reading people's true emotions and intentions isn't he?:smalltongue:

Lycar
2008-08-05, 02:06 PM
Very well then.

Check Azakan's motives: [roll0]

Check Wesal's motives: [roll1]

I think i'll wait for Sumner's reaction before i post something for Orin though.

Lycar

knewsom
2008-08-05, 02:07 PM
lol, seriously - though, why'd you edit out that last bit, that made me laugh even harder!

It's tough playing a character with crap for skill points and a NEGATIVE wis modifier. Especially because I'm smarter than he is, and I have to continually do incredibly foolish things to stay in character.

Ozzy_G
2008-08-05, 02:36 PM
Okay, Orin thinks that Azakan is sincere, he's telling the truth about lying before, and he's also quite embaressed (or he's a really, really good liar). On the other hand, Wesal was not telling the truth about the reason he didn't want Orin to go up the corridor. When he asked what Orin said, he was suspicious, but trying to hide it.

The Great Skenardo
2008-08-05, 04:41 PM
Double Sense Motive Action!
Az
[roll0]
Wes
[roll1]

Ozzy_G
2008-08-05, 05:15 PM
Sumner thinks that Azakan is lying about lying before... ie whatever he told Orin was not a lie. Also, he's quite scared.

Toliudar
2008-08-05, 05:18 PM
Ismal: two sense motive checks:

[roll0]

and

[roll1]

Ozzy_G
2008-08-05, 06:29 PM
Ismal thinks Azakan is sincere about lying before, ie he's telling the truth now.

The Great Skenardo
2008-08-05, 06:42 PM
And! Sense Motive.
[roll0]
edit: argh.

Lycar
2008-08-05, 08:29 PM
Uhm... Sense Motive on what Az said last:

SM: [roll0]

And a preemtive SM on what he's going to say next.

SM: [roll1]

And for Wesal too, just in case...

SM: [roll2]

Lycar

The Great Skenardo
2008-08-05, 08:42 PM
Hah! pre-emptive sense motive! I like the way you think :P

[roll0]

[roll1]

...Why couldn't we have a cleric with discern lies?

Toliudar
2008-08-05, 11:17 PM
MUST...SPEND...SKILL POINTS...ON SENSE MOTIVE.

On the latest round of conversation:

[roll0]

[roll1]

Ozzy_G
2008-08-06, 07:22 AM
Orin thinks Azakan is again hiding something, but not lying.

Ozzy_G
2008-08-06, 07:26 AM
And then, for what Azakan says about sacrificing people to the Empire, Ismal thinks He really believes this, what he's saying, but he knows something more that he's not saying.

knewsom
2008-08-06, 12:10 PM
here's some more sense motives for Draven, who's getting more and more impatient with all this lying and hiding stuff by the moment.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Lycar
2008-08-06, 01:04 PM
I tripped over and scratched myself on the rock.

Suuure Azzy... not buying it. :smallamused:

Sense... well, you know: [roll0]

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-08-06, 04:01 PM
Yeah, Orin (edit:) and Sumner thinks that's a lie.

The Great Skenardo
2008-08-06, 04:09 PM
Yes, let's give that a try. If someone's been roughing up his Emperor, Sumner would like to know.
[roll0]

Ozzy_G
2008-08-06, 04:24 PM
You want to make Sense Motives for Azakan saying he had a fit?

The Great Skenardo
2008-08-06, 04:28 PM
See above: Roughing up Emperor = Capital Offense.
Er, if you wanted me to roll again
[roll0]

Lycar
2008-08-06, 05:55 PM
Yeah sure, let's fill up the OOC thread already, it's still 9 pages behind the IC thread...

SM: [roll0]

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-08-06, 06:23 PM
True, all these sense motive checks should get the length up.

Orin and Sumner both think this time, he really is telling the truth, he had one of these fits.

knewsom
2008-08-06, 06:51 PM
Man, what's Azakan's bluff modifier? He's such a good liar... That alone make me not want that dude on the throne.

The Great Skenardo
2008-08-06, 06:52 PM
I'm surprised at you; I thought the painfully-honest man was the one you didn't want in power... :smallwink:

Lycar
2008-08-07, 04:04 AM
As with all things in life, a happy modicum is the best compromise.

See, the truth is a valuable commodity, not to be squandered on just everybody. Conversly, a ruler that becomes too stingy will be seen as a miser and generally unlikeable person, thus undermining the love and respect his subjects (are supposed to) have for him.

And such, it is like Otto von Bismarck once remarked: Politics are like sausages, it's best when people don't know how they are made.

Speaking of which, is Wesal still watching all of us like a hawk? Otherwise Orin might want to try and sneak off down the forbidden passage again.

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-08-07, 05:29 AM
Yes, he is still watching you.

Toliudar
2008-08-07, 09:21 AM
Well, look at it this way. If Orin and/or Kaleff start to head off down the corridor again, it might at least force Wesal to explain WHY he doesn't want us to go down the corridor.

knewsom
2008-08-07, 10:06 AM
I say we strip the old bastard down and tie him up, then Draven will use acid breath on his balls, then heal him, then use acid breath again, then heal him, so on and so forth until he tells us the whole truth.

The Great Skenardo
2008-08-07, 10:12 AM
Yeah...um.

Kinda odd how a little frustration degrades morality so quickly :smallconfused:

knewsom
2008-08-07, 10:33 AM
oops, I forgot the sarcasm /sarcasm tag. :smallbiggrin:

Toliudar
2008-08-07, 02:35 PM
Especially hilarious, coming as it does from our nicey-nicest member of the group.

Ozzy_G
2008-08-08, 07:10 AM
NobleSavage, please could you delete some of my PMs, because I can't send you any more at the moment.

Ozzy_G
2008-08-08, 07:33 AM
For those of you who are trained in it, that's a knowledge (nobility) check.
And I suppose you all will be wanting to have Sense Motives, except for Knewsom who's already rolled it.

The Great Skenardo
2008-08-08, 07:37 AM
Gotta love them dice.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Toliudar
2008-08-08, 09:13 AM
Knowledge nobility:
Sense Motive: [roll]1d20+6[/roll

Toliudar
2008-08-08, 09:15 AM
Crap. Sorry for the double post.

Sense motive [roll0]

Ozzy_G
2008-08-08, 12:33 PM
Sumner and Orin and Ismal think that Azakan is telling the truth, and he's worried, but also has a calculating air about him.

Lycar
2008-08-08, 03:23 PM
Sense the hell out of that motive: [roll0]

Know. Nobility: [roll1]

And just in case: Bardic Knowledge! [roll2]

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-08-08, 04:48 PM
Lycar, see the edited post above, also
Ismal and Orin know that Daranon Zere was one of the old Emperor's sons, he was thought to have been killed shortly after the Emperor's assassination.

NobleSavage
2008-08-08, 08:23 PM
Hey guys, real sorry, went vacationing and didn't think it would mess with my posting levels. Turns out I was wrong. Sorry 'bout that. Cleared up the PM issue, too. I've actually been really really curious/anxious about whats been happening whilst flying and family-ing, almost went so far as to use one of them there airport internet computers, but didn't have enough time between flights.

Also, Ozzy, I love how your NPCs have almost as little idea of whats going on as we do. Too many DMs have NPCs that specialize in Knowledge: Plotline. And could this be an end to the Shadow Monsters? That would probably entail a big showdown with something big and ugly, though, so maybe we can get Wesal to do it.

Edit: Oh, and I may lag a little posting until Monday, but it shouldn't be too bad. Once a day, or so.

Ozzy_G
2008-08-09, 06:29 AM
Well, when you've got people wandering around with Detect Thoughts, you don't want to give the whole plot away from one spell! :smalltongue:

Ozzy_G
2008-08-10, 08:25 AM
Lycar, the crash came from the corridor you came down originally, ie the one with the golden carved door, not the bedroom where the kid is, that's on the opposite side of the cave.

Lycar
2008-08-10, 04:17 PM
Ooops. Post edited.

Lycar

Toliudar
2008-08-10, 07:32 PM
Did we hear a slithering sound when the tentacled thing attacked last night?

Ozzy_G
2008-08-10, 07:48 PM
No, you didn't.

Ozzy_G
2008-08-11, 09:03 AM
Since Orin is actually going up the corridor, I'd like a listen and spot check for him please.

Lycar
2008-08-11, 02:32 PM
Huh, i hope this works out... :smalleek:

Listen: [roll0]

Spot: [roll1]

Lycar

Toliudar
2008-08-12, 01:10 AM
Any chance if I know if any of the archmages favour red?

Knowledge nobility: [roll0]

knewsom
2008-08-12, 01:43 AM
I'm going to preemptively roll for initiative, Draven has already shifted his aura to acid shield, 6 damage to any attackers if they hit us.

init [roll0]

And he's prepared an action to blast them with acid breath and attack the red-robed figure with his mace at the first sign of aggression.

Ozzy_G
2008-08-12, 06:39 AM
There's no one who's particularly famous for wearing red a lot. Some Archmages wear red sometimes of course, but none of them wear the same colour all the time.

Toliudar
2008-08-12, 08:25 AM
Gotcha. Thanks!

I guess I'm drawing on the same skill to see if I recognize this guy from any portraits or the like - or if he's changed significantly in appearance since he was, you know, alive.

[roll0] Knowledge Nobility

Ozzy_G
2008-08-12, 09:10 AM
Well, he's definitely a son of Vellan Zere. They all look very similar, but he's certainly one of them. He could almost be Azakan's twin. And he could well be Daranon Zere specifically, about which Ismal knows
he was Azakan's older brother, they had the same mother, one of the Emperor's concubines. He was not a particularly famous son, but Ismal does know that he is somewhere in his 100s, and spent a lot of time researching unusual magic. He was also known for his unfeeling cruelty and amorality.

NobleSavage
2008-08-12, 10:14 AM
That spell is Cloud o' Knives, and his Magic Circle against Chaos should be still up, too, if that makes a difference. Everyone was included in it, in an effect to repress any potential possession. Heh.

Am I right to think one can start a spell, then use a lesser action to complete the spell when you'd like? Or is that just for Full Round Action costing spells? In either case, Kaleff is waiting to act until there is hostile movement (and, having been killed by a shadow monster once before, he'll use the liberal interpretation here) or an ally initiates combat.

Initiative [roll0]

Lycar
2008-08-12, 11:43 AM
How does the saying go? If you've got it, flaunt it?

Well...

Know. Nobility: [roll0]

Bardic Knowledge: [roll1]

You know, usually Orin should be casting invisibility by now. But he's supposed to be trying to be brave for a change, so he'll just stand his ground(preferably behind a few other party members though). :smallamused:

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-08-12, 12:56 PM
Am I right to think one can start a spell, then use a lesser action to complete the spell when you'd like?
Well, for mechanical game purposes, you ready an action to cast it, so that's fine.

Orin knows Daranon was the name of one of Emperor Vellan Zere's youngest sons, someone who'd nowadays be about 100-ish. This guy certainly looks like Azakan and Vellan Zere.
One story Orin has heard about Daranon, a rumour that went out about the courts of the nobles, is that he cared nothing for human life, and once had his soldiers take the residents of an entire village to a research facility he'd set up, where he spent several years experimenting on the link between their souls and their shadows. Most of them died horribly, but a few were apparently transformed into horrible shadow monsters.

knewsom
2008-08-12, 01:54 PM
You gotta love adventures where there's no clear good guys and bad guys, matter of fact, it seems that most everyone is the bad guys. ;)

Toliudar
2008-08-12, 02:21 PM
Including us, since we:

a) Fight amongst ourselves.
b) Rarely live up to the fine words of our convictions.
c) Seem to be split as to whether to support a possibly tyrannous new regime, or prefer the current state of anarchy. :smallbiggrin:

knewsom
2008-08-12, 02:27 PM
lol - seriously. Sometimes I feel like we're in 13th century Scotland.

NobleSavage
2008-08-12, 02:41 PM
Right, so here's the Sleight of Hand [roll0] to hide the completion of the Cloud of Knives spell, invisible, as per the Invisible Spell feat.

Upon completion of his spell,
Kaleff will initiate combat, hopefully resulting in a surprise round. If so, he'll use it to 1) Cast Bands of Steel on D (reflex 19 or become immobile, entangled if successful save) and 2) use a free action to blast off a Knife at D
Attack [roll1]
Damage [roll2] SS Damage[roll3]
Not sure if its a touch attack, or just normal, and I don't think he can use Spellwarp to turn it into a ray, but if he can that'd be another +1 to attack.

If no surprise, then use those actions for his first attack.

If surprise and he wins initiative,
Kaleff will zip another knife at D
Attack [roll4]
Damage [roll5] SS Damage[roll6]
Then a lesser acid orb
Attack [roll7]
Damage [roll8] SS Damage[roll9]
Then move away from the shadow beast, or if out of the way again, use a free action instead of a move action to attack the best target with another knife
Attack [roll10]
Damage [roll11] SS Damage[roll12]

Oh, and a few more Sleight of Hands to help the surprise go off smoothly.
1st spell [roll13]
2nd spell [roll14]

These are the actions he'll take, barring immediate danger to himself, have him take them as you see fit, working in other's initiative as it plays out.

The Great Skenardo
2008-08-12, 04:48 PM
I'll just go ahead and throw in Init right now.
[roll0]

Lycar
2008-08-12, 05:05 PM
... so much for diplomacy... :smallsigh:

Right, so this guy probably has a will save up there but maybe Orin could still have tried to, you know... fascinate the guy or something.

Or maybe Orin can at least start talking...

Lycar

Lycar
2008-08-12, 05:15 PM
Okay, Perform Oratory: [roll0] sets the will DC to resist being fascinated.

Maybe we get a few more rounds of buffing out of this!

And will save DC vs. suggestion is 18 now.

Lycar

Toliudar
2008-08-12, 08:31 PM
So as not to feel (be?) left out, initiative for Ismal: [roll0]

Ozzy_G
2008-08-13, 05:20 AM
Initiative List
Kaleff 22
Draven 20
Orin 19a
Daranon 19b
Wesal 19c
Azakan 17
Sumner 11a
Ismal 11b
Shadow monster 9

Looks like we just need initiative for Orin.
Unless his initiative is higher, it looks like it's Draven's go.
47 (mystery number)

Ozzy_G
2008-08-13, 05:46 AM
And he's prepared an action to blast them with acid breath and attack the red-robed figure with his mace at the first sign of aggression.
Well, you didn't say which side would start the aggression...
Do you want to take your readied action to blast then? And I assume then you will be charging?

knewsom
2008-08-13, 10:17 AM
Yes indeedy, a charge it is.

[roll0] damage [roll1] electric damage [roll2]

second attack provided by haste (would have three but for the charge)

[roll3] damage [roll4] electric damage [roll5]

oh, here's the damage from the acid breath [roll6]

knewsom
2008-08-13, 10:18 AM
one more thing... # of rounds 'till Draven can use acid breath again. [roll0]

Is it just me, or do I RELIABLY roll 4's on these? :smallsigh:

NobleSavage
2008-08-13, 11:11 AM
Seriously. Draven should invest in a falchion.

Edit: Also, the physical objects Kaleff is conjuring shouldn't be visible, as he's invested in 'Invisible Spell.' As a rule, his spells always take advantage of that, though I've noted which ones don't on his charsheet, notably Minor Image. With all that, nothing would tie him to the spells being cast except for the somatic components, if observers passed their spot checks, and the verbal ones. Hes a little sneaky.

Lycar
2008-08-13, 11:38 AM
... and just as he was about to spill the beans... Azzy, Azzy, you still have a lot to answer for...

Anyway, initiative: [roll0]

And so it is about high time to test that new spell, Inspirational Boost.

Since it's a Swift Action, Orin can still burst out in righteous indignation and boost our morales by the tune of +3 to to-hit and melee damage. :smallamused:

Lycar

knewsom
2008-08-13, 12:14 PM
Why would Draven want a falchion? It's two-handed, he's a shield-build, and he's also a Dragon Shaman, so he can't have a falchion anyways unless I felt like blowing a feat on it. Simple weapons only. That limited crit range of the mace is weak, but the d8 damage is cool.

edit: AHA - I get it, d4's. That or a wand of magic missile. ;)

Ozzy_G
2008-08-13, 03:02 PM
Okay, you are all now getting +4 to hit, +3 to damage, an extra attack with full attacks, +1 AC, +1 to reflex saves, and your speed either doubles or gets +30ft, whichever is less.
There's also a circle of protection against chaos, but I'll worry about that.

I need a reflex save for Draven, DC 19.

Ozzy_G
2008-08-13, 03:11 PM
Azakan's attack roll.
[roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Sumner's go.

Ozzy_G
2008-08-13, 03:15 PM
Will saves for glitterdust. What's the DC?
[roll0]
[roll1]

knewsom
2008-08-13, 03:31 PM
reflex save. [roll0]

Toliudar
2008-08-13, 03:48 PM
Will saves for glitterdust. What's the DC?
[roll0]
[roll1]

Sorry - will save for glitterdust was 19. They've both made it, unless there are other adjustments I don't know about.

Oh, and now that there are shadows everywhere, she would obviously have been trying to nail all that she could in the same blast.

Ozzy_G
2008-08-13, 07:21 PM
Reflex save DC 19 for Ismal, Kaleff and Orin please.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Ozzy_G
2008-08-13, 07:32 PM
I'll post the monsters attacks later, then it'll be Kaleff's go.

NobleSavage
2008-08-13, 08:33 PM
Reflex [roll0]

Think we could get a rough sketch of the room, now? Even if it was just one of those boring text maps, it would help a lot.

Toliudar
2008-08-14, 12:15 AM
Reflex save for Ismal: [roll0], assuming that the effect is from an evil creature (otherwise, 2 lower)

And just a reminder that, with haste, Kaleff and Orin should be factoring in a +1 dodge bonus to their saves.

Lycar
2008-08-14, 03:38 AM
Reflex save: [roll0]

Hm...

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-08-14, 07:29 AM
Just so you know then, Daranon is evil, but the shadow monster isn't, and neither of them are chaotic.

Some attacks on Draven from the shadow monster.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

For each one that hits, make a DC18 will save.
Also, if any hit, make an opposed grapple vs [roll8]

It is Kaleff's go, then Draven's go.

Ozzy_G
2008-08-14, 07:42 AM
Here is my bad paint map.
At the bottom you see the shadow monster (black) grabbing Draven (green) who is next to Sumner (greeny-blue).
In the middle, you see Daranon (red) on the altar (grey oval), and the surrounding aura of clinging shadows (the big black area).
Inside are Orin (yellow) and Ismal (light blue) in front of the altar, Azakan (dark red) and Wesal (purple) behind the altar, and Kaleff (dark blue) further back.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f85/ozzy_g/daranonfightmap.jpg

NobleSavage
2008-08-14, 09:11 AM
So, Kaleff is going to step back until he is out of the shadows reach. If he can tell Spellcraft [roll0] that the spell allows the shadows to attack him as he moves, Kaleff will 'port to safety (dimensional jaunt) if any catch hold, instead of shooting another acid blob.

Acid Attack! [roll1] (touch attack)
Damage[roll2]
Sudden Strike [roll3]

Flying Blades! Attack! [roll4]
Damage [roll5]
SS [roll6]

knewsom
2008-08-14, 10:40 AM
Actually, Draven's AC is now 31 thanks to the new shield and Haste, so none of those hit. *phew*

He'll first shift his aura to "Power", granting an extra +3 damage on all melee attacks, and then he'll take a full attack on the shadowbeast.

[roll0] damage [roll1] elect. [roll2]

[roll3] damage [roll4] elect. [roll5]

extra attack from haste:
[roll6] damage [roll7] elect. [roll8]

The Great Skenardo
2008-08-14, 11:10 AM
Meanwhile, Sumner will descend like a shrapnel mine going off on the monster with a full attack.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]

[roll6]

[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]

[roll11]
[roll12]

EDIT: That...Was some crappy rolling. :smallsigh:

knewsom
2008-08-14, 11:13 AM
TGS, did you forget to add all the damage bonuses floating around? +3 from Draven, +3 from Orin....

The Great Skenardo
2008-08-14, 11:27 AM
No, I took those all into account. Maybe nearly getting killed by one of these things twice before has started to affect Sumner's composure when attacking them?

NobleSavage
2008-08-14, 12:04 PM
Heh. Yeah, getting killed by one of 'em seems to make people act irrationally. Or maybe rationally. As much as Kaleff doesn't mind dying, he hates getting killed.

The Great Skenardo
2008-08-14, 12:12 PM
TGS, did you forget to add all the damage bonuses floating around? +3 from Draven, +3 from Orin....

Actually, I did forget the +3 damage from Draven's aura. Ozzy take note! If Sumner actually managed to friggin' hit the thing at all, add three to each strike :P

Lycar
2008-08-14, 01:26 PM
Let's just hope we don't stack unstackable boni here. What kind of bonus does the Aura of Power give? Orin's Bardic Music gives a morale bonus for this and 3 more turns before he needs to 'sing' again.

Also, i do assume i am not mistaken in guessing that he didn't down one single active spell there. :smallannoyed:

Lycar

knewsom
2008-08-14, 01:58 PM
It's not a morale bonus, at least, not so far as I recall reading. None of the other auras affect people based on morale, except maybe enemies by the Draconic Presence aura... Acid Shield and healing are actually physically altering auras, so I think it's reasonable that we'd feel a surge in our strength as we strike with this one, like Dragon's blood in our veins! ...and stuff, and junk.

Ozzy_G
2008-08-14, 01:58 PM
Having checked out the PHB2, it appears it is an untyped bonus, hooray for you.

Ozzy_G
2008-08-14, 02:09 PM
Okay, it's the fun of the 60ft cone.
[roll0]
Sumner, Ismal, Orin and Draven must try and pass DC 20 reflex saves for half damage. Ismal gets a +2 bonus for the cover of the altar.

Lycar
2008-08-14, 02:22 PM
Uhm.. in the IC thread you said '...hitting everybody but him and Kaleff' but her you don't mention Orin... does this mean his 38 hp got lucky this time?

Lycar

NobleSavage
2008-08-14, 02:45 PM
Knife attack hit?

The Great Skenardo
2008-08-14, 02:53 PM
Reflexion save
[roll0]
Also: What of Sumner's Action this round? If Draven already smote the creature...?

knewsom
2008-08-14, 03:51 PM
ref save: [roll0]

Toliudar
2008-08-14, 05:58 PM
Ismal reflex save vs the cold (draconic heritage helps her saves vs cold): [roll0]

Ozzy_G
2008-08-14, 08:14 PM
Uhm.. in the IC thread you said '...hitting everybody but him and Kaleff' but her you don't mention Orin... does this mean his 38 hp got lucky this time?
I don't know why I didn't mention it there, but I'm afraid you do get hit... you do have a good reflex right?

Knife attack hit?
No, he dissapeared just before it hit (he can do that, on account of how he rocks).

Also: What of Sumner's Action this round? If Draven already smote the creature...?
Indeed, so I assumed you'd want to do something other than flailing at a corpse. What do you want to do?

Kaleff 22
Draven 20
Orin 19a
Daranon 19b
Wesal 19c
Azakan 17
Sumner 11a
Ismal 11b
Shadow monster 9

It is indeed Sumner's go, then Ismal (who turns into an Annis and moves) and then Kaleff's again, then Draven (who is charging). If Ismal is moving into the shadowy area, which she will have to if she wants to be in 10ft, she will need to make a reflex save, DC 19, or be immobilised.

Ozzy_G
2008-08-14, 08:22 PM
Saves for Wesal and Azakan.

[roll0]
[roll1]

knewsom
2008-08-14, 09:22 PM
reflex for Draven. [roll0]

NobleSavage
2008-08-14, 09:25 PM
To determine if he knows he's being targeted
Spellcraft [roll0]

There is a possible total of 3 Cloud of Knives attacks.

Free (used to disrupt a possible spell)
Attack [roll1]
Damage [roll2]
SS Dam [roll3]

Move
Attack [roll4]
Damage [roll5]
SS Dam [roll6]

Standard (if no Dimensional Jaunt action)
Attack [roll7]
Damage [roll8]
SS Dam [roll9]

No, he dissapeared just before it hit (he can do that, on account of how he rocks).

Awwww, Kaleff wants to be awesome like that, too.

The Great Skenardo
2008-08-14, 09:44 PM
I like that Nat 20, but that 1 confirm hurts

Lycar
2008-08-14, 10:13 PM
Oh well. Let's see if Orin stays alive then... :smalleek:

Reflex save: [roll0]

Edit: 22... *phew* ... maybe a lifetime of dodging metaphorical slings and arrows hones one's reflexes.

Okay, 20 damage for Orin here. He can still act.

Edit: Okay, anyone having less then 18 hp here?

Lycar

NobleSavage
2008-08-14, 10:58 PM
Whatza matter? Orin not liking this "No more fear" thing? A healthy bit of fear keeps you from dying as often.

There's a 20 ft limit on that Dimensional Jaunt, by the way Ozzy, thought you should know.

Ozzy_G
2008-08-15, 08:32 AM
DC 19 reflex save for Sumner please.

Toliudar
2008-08-15, 09:18 AM
It is indeed Sumner's go, then Ismal (who turns into an Annis and moves) and then Kaleff's again, then Draven (who is charging). If Ismal is moving into the shadowy area, which she will have to if she wants to be in 10ft, she will need to make a reflex save, DC 19, or be immobilised.

In that case, no move into the blackness. Especially since my guess is that Sumner's charge will encourage him to move. She will instead shift further across the room to the west.

Ozzy_G
2008-08-15, 11:54 AM
Alright.

How many HP does everyone have left now?

knewsom
2008-08-15, 12:04 PM
Draven's ok, myth-weavers is down at the moment so I can't give you an exact number, but he should be around sixty or sixty-five (I seem to recall his normal full HP being up around 100 something).

The Great Skenardo
2008-08-15, 12:21 PM
Reflexion Save.
[roll0] (+2 vs. evil]

Lycar
Ah yes. Orin, what with being a displaced scribe who just happens to have a supernatural way with words has 38 HP when at full health, the Ice Storm spell left him less then half of that, or 18 HP.

Which also means he's staggered for the next round. And that means, move OR cast (or whip), not both. Hrm. :smallconfused:

Lycar

NobleSavage
Kaleff is around 39, I think.

Ozzy_G
2008-08-15, 12:31 PM
Now, I am correct in thinking that everyone is level 10 except Sumner, yes?

Toliudar
2008-08-15, 02:28 PM
That is my understanding as well.

And Ismal has 33 hp.

NobleSavage
2008-08-15, 03:00 PM
Yeah, though Kaleff has a bit more xp.

NobleSavage
2008-08-15, 03:09 PM
Who, by the way, is staying far enough away from Sumner that he isn't an immediate target, and is poised to skewer Wesal with a Knife, (7rnds left) or three, if he moves to cast an offensive (again, loosely defined) or get-outta-here spell.

Spcrft [roll0]

Lycar
2008-08-15, 03:25 PM
Yes, Orin has 10 levels total. I can't swear an oath on it though, right about now Mythweavers seems to be temprarily shut down.

Maybe he should care about healing himself before threatening the guy imbued with strange magic powers... :smallamused:

Edit: Yes, exactly lv. 10. Apparently last time we got XP you told us something along the lines of 'just enough to reach next level'.

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-08-15, 08:35 PM
Right, you all level up except Sumner, so you are all now level 11. Hooray!

knewsom
2008-08-15, 08:48 PM
yaaaay!

Oh and uh, everyone can heal up to half of their total HP because of Draven's fast healing aura. He'll go around and dole out some further healing once you all tell me how many HP you still need to get back to full.

Lycar
2008-08-16, 02:18 AM
So we do go *ding* right now or should we sleep a night about it?

At any rate, Orin gets a bit more inspiring. :smallamused:

Strange though that with him getting a bit more confidence, he seems to start letting threats to people slip into his words. Alarming, isn't it?

Lycar

The Great Skenardo
2008-08-16, 02:30 AM
Welcome to power. :smallamused:

Ozzy_G
2008-08-16, 06:55 AM
Go ding right now. But you won't get more spell slots until you meditate/prepare, though you do have new spells known.

NobleSavage
2008-08-16, 10:31 AM
So I think I'm going to put off picking out spells until Kaleff manages to go through the underground lair. So, for my memory and if you want to make a certain wizard very happy, here's the spells Kaleff would like to get his hands on at some point.

Wish List

Level 2
Web
Locate Object
Scorching Ray

Level 3
1) Unluck!!!
Soundlance
Arcane Sight
Manyjaws
Fireyball
Mage Armor, Greater

Level 4
Improved Invisiblity
Solid Fog
Evard's Black Tentacles
Scrying

Spells I'm playing around with for this level (feel free to shout out your/your character's opinions/preferences)
-Prying Eyes, for sure.
-Teleport (to get us back home)
-Permanency
-Unluck (I like this one that much, fits Kaleff well, too)

Any hints at when we might be reaching a marketplace with any of these would be appreciated.

Toliudar
2008-08-16, 10:32 AM
Woo hoo! More spells!

Lycar
2008-08-16, 05:20 PM
Hrmph, and i still believe this Wesal guy is holding out on us.

I am seriously considering to have Orin cast Invisibility and make a little scouting trip into all the corridors, just because he can.

Might interfere with the progress of the story though.

So what do you think, should Orin do it?

Lycar

NobleSavage
2008-08-16, 05:42 PM
Yeah, actually, I meant to have Kaleff request Ismal ask you do just that, but I figured he's a little preoccupied.

knewsom
2008-08-16, 05:58 PM
Definitely. What's the worst that could happen? We piss off Wesal? IC, there's little to no reason not to, other than believing him that he's telling the truth about not hiding anything.

Toliudar
2008-08-16, 11:17 PM
Well, it would be kind of hypocritical for me to complain about Orin splitting off from the group, right? I say, go for the sneaking.

Kaleff, those spells seem like great choices, and would dovetail nicely with Ismal's picks this go-around.

Lycar
2008-08-17, 02:56 AM
Rigth then. Off to spy on the weasel Wesal i am. Did Draven activate his healing aura to bring people back to 1/2 health already? Or spread some healing around?

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-08-17, 09:17 AM
Did Draven activate his healing aura to bring people back to 1/2 health already? Or spread some healing around?
Yes, he did do that.

NobleSavage
2008-08-17, 03:23 PM
I'm pretty sure Kaleff's Magic Circle Against Chaos is still active (1hr, 40 min duration), and Ismal should be within range of it. Among other things the barrier "blocks any attempt to possess the warded creature... or to exercise mental control over the creature." The compulsion would still be there, though, just repressed for the duration of the spell. I'd also like to know where people are right now, in case anything has to happen. Kaleff doesn't want Sumner to have that crown.

If needed
Initiative [roll0]

Ozzy_G
2008-08-17, 03:47 PM
Well, Orin has just gone, invisibly, into the south corridor (which is at the top of the map I drew, which is upside down) and Draven's trying to drag the monster into the north corridor. Everyone else is by the altar in the middle of the room.

NobleSavage
2008-08-17, 05:51 PM
Ah, ok. And no response from Azakan to Kaleff's implore?

Ozzy_G
2008-08-17, 06:09 PM
Nope. He's listening to Sumner and Ismal argue.

Toliudar
2008-08-17, 11:21 PM
Since Ismal knows something of Azakan's specialty: if she feels her protection from evil spell lapse, she will immediately pause to renew it.

Ozzy_G
2008-08-18, 07:11 AM
Skenardo, what is Sumner's dex bonus?

Also, I need a spot check for Ismal please.

Toliudar
2008-08-18, 09:15 AM
Spot check [roll0]

This also seems a good moment to remind about the 50' blindsense active.

Ozzy_G
2008-08-18, 09:24 AM
Also, I would like a listen check for Draven.

knewsom
2008-08-18, 10:41 AM
senses aura back up, only including ismal at the moment. +3 to listen, spot, and I'm hoping we won't need it, but init.

[roll0]

Lycar
2008-08-18, 11:43 AM
Orin is confused. His worldview is threatend! :smalleek::smallamused:

So he will just take a good look around from where he's standing.

If he doesn't see anything suspicious, he will move back up the corridor again and check the corridor to his right. That would be the east corridor then.

Lycar.

knewsom
2008-08-18, 02:15 PM
Does Draven sense this presence as well? Or only Ismal?

The Great Skenardo
2008-08-18, 04:00 PM
Sumner's Dex modifier is a +2

knewsom
2008-08-18, 06:32 PM
ok, here goes a roll for Draven's new level HP.

[roll0]

Ozzy_G
2008-08-18, 08:28 PM
Does Draven sense this presence as well? Or only Ismal?
No, it is something she senses with her Blindsense.

Toliudar
2008-08-18, 08:31 PM
Ismal's new HP [roll0]

The Great Skenardo
2008-08-18, 08:35 PM
Glitterdust is such a useful spell. It and Grease are among my favorite low-levels, just for their ability to create utter havok of a battlefield

Ozzy_G
2008-08-18, 08:39 PM
I will need an initiative check for Ismal. She must beat:
[roll0] or it gets to act first.

Toliudar
2008-08-18, 08:51 PM
But...wasn't it's action whatever brought it next to me? I'm just reacting to that.

Just in case: [roll0]

Ozzy_G
2008-08-18, 08:53 PM
But...wasn't it's action whatever brought it next to me? I'm just reacting to that.
Surprise round! Hurrah! Then the initiative roll-off... which sadly it rolled 19 on... I'm rolling awesome for this guys rolls. For his previous two rolls I got 15 and then natural 20.

Edit: Actually, thinking about it, you became aware of it at the same time that it had an opportunity to take the action it took. So that's fair enough. So it takes its action, then you, then Draven.

Meaning it is Draven's go.

Ozzy_G
2008-08-18, 08:58 PM
Will save vs blindess.
[roll0] plus ?.
What is the DC?

NobleSavage
2008-08-18, 09:30 PM
Kaleff is going that direction, but taking his time. Let me know if he happens across them in time. Not sure what he'd end up doing, though.

Toliudar
2008-08-18, 09:36 PM
Will DC is 19 for Glitterdust.

The Great Skenardo
2008-08-18, 09:38 PM
Impressive!
...I must not be giving Ismal enough credit for beauty o_0

Toliudar
2008-08-18, 09:53 PM
Or I Sumner for magical power...and swiftness. Usually, men at least buy dinner before going for the brass ring. :smallbiggrin:

Oh, and Ozzy - can I get clarification about whether Ismal did or didn't cast the polymorph?

The Great Skenardo
2008-08-18, 11:00 PM
Now now, Sumner is clearly sitting by the altar, cleaning his weapons.

Toliudar
2008-08-18, 11:06 PM
Of course. Just as Sumner has also clearly just reached into Ismal's girdle to pull out a ring.

The Great Skenardo
2008-08-18, 11:10 PM
OBJECTION!

There is clearly a contradiction in the DM's Testimony!

Toliudar
2008-08-18, 11:27 PM
:smallwink: Only if you assume that the set labelled "Sumner" has only one value.

knewsom
2008-08-19, 12:13 AM
Full round attack. Not sure what, if any buffs are in effect, but Draven is activating "Power", helping his damage rolls. Also self-healing 20 damage.

[roll0] damage [roll1] elect [roll2]

[roll3] damage [roll4] elect [roll5]

if haste is still in effect:

[roll6] damage [roll7] elect [roll8]

feel free to add in any other bonuses from things that are still active.

Edit: egad. those are some abysmal rolls.

The Great Skenardo
2008-08-19, 12:24 AM
Holy Cheese! Looks like you won't be doing much smiting this round, unless being blinded(?) makes the crucial difference.

Lycar
2008-08-19, 12:29 AM
Hrm. This raises a number of questions:

1) If one has 41 HP full and Draven's healing aura brings one back to 1/2, is this 20 or 21 HP ?

2) Did Draven go around and top off everybody's HP?

3) Does Orin happen to be aware of what is going on?

Also: Initiative [roll0]

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-08-19, 06:51 AM
is this 20 or 21 HP ?

2) Did Draven go around and top off everybody's HP?
Not yet. That's why he had to heal himself just now.

Oh, and Ozzy - can I get clarification about whether Ismal did or didn't cast the polymorph?
Sorry, polymorph? When was this?

Ozzy_G
2008-08-19, 06:53 AM
Haste is no longer in effect, as it has been more than 60 seconds since it was cast.
However, Ismal's Protection from Evil is still on.

Ozzy_G
2008-08-19, 07:17 AM
I'd like listen checks for Kaleff and Orin please.

Toliudar
2008-08-19, 09:29 AM
Sorry, polymorph? When was this?

This was going to be her action in the round that Sumner did the decapitation. I had assumed it hadn't gone forward, but wanted to be sure.

Also, did "Sumner" vanish from her blindsense as well?

NobleSavage
2008-08-19, 10:04 AM
Listen [roll0]

Spells that should still be active
See Invis
Mag Cir 'gainst Chaos

Toliudar
2008-08-19, 10:15 AM
Oh, and regardless, Spellcraft to try to determine what Sumner just did to vanish:

[roll0]

Ozzy_G
2008-08-19, 10:48 AM
This was going to be her action in the round that Sumner did the decapitation. I had assumed it hadn't gone forward, but wanted to be sure.

Also, did "Sumner" vanish from her blindsense as well?
Since you've been walking around talking normally, I assumed you never cast it.
Sumner did vanish from your blindsense also.

Whatever he did, it wasn't casting a spell, as there were no material, somatic or verbal components. He could have gone invisible again, but you would still sense that. A teleportation of some kind is possible though, that would have meant that he would vanish both from sight and blindsense. It would also explain how he appeared in front of you.

Spells that should still be active
See Invis
Mag Cir 'gainst Chaos
Yes, those are still going.

Toliudar
2008-08-19, 11:10 AM
Okay...so anyone capable of casting a quickened teleportation spell (must have been quickened, since he was able to do a standard-action sleight of hand or attack action to get the crown out of my belt in the same round) is sufficiently far out of my league that I don't feel quite so bad about getting hashed by him.

Oh, and since Annis can both walk and talk, I was leaving it indistinct.

knewsom
2008-08-19, 11:30 AM
senses aura active, +3 to listen, spot, init, for Draven and Ismal (since the others are so far away)

Toliudar
2008-08-19, 11:39 AM
NS, please check my post above: if you were within 100', I was definitely including you in that mental message.

Ozzy_G
2008-08-19, 11:42 AM
Oh, and since Annis can both walk and talk, I was leaving it indistinct.
Ah, sorry, the Annis, yes you did cast that and then move, I remember, so you're still in Annis form.

Ozzy_G
2008-08-19, 11:44 AM
Sorry, what exactly is Draven doing?

I will need spot checks for Ismal, Draven and Kaleff. Also, I still need a listen check for Orin.
And Kaleff did indeed hear Ismal's message.

knewsom
2008-08-19, 12:02 PM
sorry, using his winged boots to follow Ismal and try to spot the bastard, or anything of interest to the current situation.

also, I don't have my PHB with me, and I need to check to see how many XP we all have at our current level, and whether we get a feat or an ability increase or anything, so if someone could fill me on that, I'd appreciate it.

knewsom
2008-08-19, 12:04 PM
oh, spot check.

[roll0] (don't forget the +3 bonus from Draven's aura Toli!)

The Great Skenardo
2008-08-19, 12:25 PM
sorry, using his winged boots to follow Ismal and try to spot the bastard, or anything of interest to the current situation.

also, I don't have my PHB with me, and I need to check to see how many XP we all have at our current level, and whether we get a feat or an ability increase or anything, so if someone could fill me on that, I'd appreciate it.

I can do you one better than that:
www.d20srd.org

But to answer your question directly, 11th level is neither divisible by four nor three, so you get no stat increase nor a feat.

Ozzy_G
2008-08-19, 12:27 PM
You've just gone to level 11, that's 55000xp.
You don't get a feat or level adjustment.
However, as a level 11 Dragon shaman, your base attack goes up by 1, you get your HP and skills, and you can now use your Touch of Vitality to heal status conditions and ability damage.

Lycar
2008-08-19, 01:52 PM
Wow. A lot of stuff happened between me going to work and coming home apparently...

Listen check for Orin: [roll0]

If Orin doesn't pick up anything suspicious, he will examine the room a bit.

Lycar

knewsom
2008-08-19, 02:36 PM
gracias to both of you - but the SRD doesn't contain that bit of info (exp per level, feats, ability increases), nor does it contain the DS template.

The Dragon Shaman info I actually HAD, since I'd uploaded a digital copy of PHBII to my website for quick reference - too bad I lacked the foresight to do that with the PHBI. 'course, I never thought I'd need it, because of the SRD.

My level up is complete, and MAN I can't wait to be level 19 so I can grow dragon wings!

The Great Skenardo
2008-08-19, 03:27 PM
And I can't wait to hit level 19 so I can...er.

...Get another bonus feat. :smallsigh:

Lycar
2008-08-19, 04:22 PM
For Orin, lv. 12 is going to be interesting. A new feat. Maybe even a reserve feat? But what will he do, what will he do?

If he knew that spell from the Spell Compendium... Heart Fire or something. Has both the Fire and Light descriptors. Would enable him to take 2 reserve feats which are hard to get for bards. The light one isn't that great though.

Dimensional Reach is fun. Just teleport a small, unattended object to you. Reach is quite short, works on magic items though, unlike Mage Hand.

Clap of Thunder would give him some damage dealing capacity.

Oh well, still a long way to go till lv. 12. And who knows what happens until then. Maybe he even steps onto another path. After all, magic corrupts... maybe he would be better suited to learn to channel his inner rage and frustration into something different... hm. So many possibilities.

And the great thing about this game: They are all viable, one way or another, because there is no 'right built' in this world. What good does it do for Sumner to be able to cut down his foes in but a pair of strikes, when his true nemesis cannot be defeated with a blade?

What good does it do for Orin to have that silver tongue, when no-one listens to his words ? When he himself doesn't know what to say?

And our dragon couple? Will they ever be able to live their dream? But why do they want to cast off their human skins? Is the grass really greener on the other side? Will they be able to consumate their love as dragons, no longer bound to the politics of humans?

And Kaleff? Ah yes, a god as a patron is a powerfull ally indeed. But it has it's own agenda. Will it see more in Kaleff then a tool, to be used and discarded (all for the greater good presumably)?

And Azakan.. ah yes... Azakan... no doubt he is Orin's equal, if not better in the twisting of words and facts. But what is it the demon-blooded scion of the empire really dreads? Will the 'heroes' ever find out?

Man, i sure hope to see lv 20 one day. Because it will mean that the game lasted that long. And i am certain we will enjoy every day of it.

Lycar

NobleSavage
2008-08-19, 05:22 PM
Dimensional Reach is fun. Just teleport a small, unattended object to you. Reach is quite short, works on magic items though, unlike Mage Hand.

You sure it doesn't work on magic items? I just see a weight limit.

And the reserve feats are kinda fun, but not all are terribly useful, so be careful. This is the first caster I've played, and man, what I wouldn't give to retrain that 'Sudden Silent' feat. Seriously Sudden Silent? What was I thinking?

Toliudar
2008-08-20, 12:34 AM
...um, were you thinking arcane trickster? It seems appropriate for one.

Not like my feat choices were so very powerful. But I have had a HUGE amount of fun playing a caster that doesn't require hours of book-keeping.

Oh, and Knewsom: If I started this encounter as an Annis, then the polymorph to a dragon got rid of any remaining damage, so there was nothing left for you to heal.

Finally, spot check for Ismal: [roll0]. Penalties for range are halved because of dragonsight.

Lycar
2008-08-20, 12:40 AM
You sure it doesn't work on magic items? I just see a weight limit.

And the reserve feats are kinda fun, but not all are terribly useful, so be careful. This is the first caster I've played, and man, what I wouldn't give to retrain that 'Sudden Silent' feat. Seriously Sudden Silent? What was I thinking?

According to the PHB: Mage Hand, Target: One nonmagical, unattended object, weighing up to 5 lb.

And Orin has Sudden Still. For the sole purpose of using it with one of his spells. So it effectivly becomes a spell-like ability with 1 use /day for him.

Because it's fun. :smallwink:

Lycar

NobleSavage
2008-08-20, 09:11 AM
...um, were you thinking arcane trickster? It seems appropriate for one.

Yes, actually, though since I've stepped from the path. Maybe one day Kaleff will choose that direction again. Really? Meeting you're god kinda messes things up sometimes.

Spot [roll0]

So you know how RPGWebprofiler went down oh, so long ago? Yeah. MythWeavers had "an upgrade of our system resulted in a serious library corruption of some kind." So I am sans sheet. Thats my best guess, as Kaleff has been pouring it on in the perception areas.

NobleSavage
2008-08-20, 09:30 AM
'Nother Roll

[roll0]

NS, please check my post above: if you were within 100', I was definitely including you in that mental message.

And, yeah, caught that. Wanted to send something like a double-click on walkie talkies, but couldn't describe it as such with this realm's... realities? It doesn't have walkie talkies, I'm assuming.

Ozzy_G
2008-08-20, 04:00 PM
Some rolls for stuff:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Ozzy_G
2008-08-20, 04:20 PM
Ismal's only a medium-sized dragon, isn't she?
I will need spot checks for Ismal, Orin and Draven. After which, I shall describe the scene you see before you... I don't think it's what you expect.

knewsom
2008-08-20, 04:22 PM
spot [roll0]

knewsom
2008-08-20, 04:34 PM
*nibbles on fingernails*

NobleSavage
2008-08-20, 04:38 PM
Aw crap. This changes so much. If possible, I'll keep with that first line of action.

The Roll

The Probably Unnecessary Roll
[roll]1d20+12-20

NobleSavage
2008-08-20, 04:41 PM
Grumblegrumblestupidrollercan'tdomathIdon'twanna [roll0]

Do like that first one, though.

Edit: Hahahahaha.... ergh. Wow... can't get much lower than that.

knewsom
2008-08-20, 04:49 PM
:furious: suspense... can't take... the.... suspense....! AARRGH!

Toliudar
2008-08-20, 04:55 PM
Ismal spot [roll0]

And yes, she's medium sized.

Lycar
2008-08-20, 05:49 PM
Orin's spot check: [roll0]

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-08-20, 05:53 PM
Anyone who is trained in Knowledge (Religion) or Knowledge (Local: Davethra) who passes a DC 20 check knows that the knife Wesal is wielding is a special knife used by Clerics of Gothul to remove people's hearts.

Lycar
2008-08-20, 06:09 PM
Oh let's see about that then:

Know. Local (never specified but what else but Davethra should Orin know about really...): [roll0]

And the ever useful Bardic Knowledge: [roll1]

EDIT: Is Orin still invisible?

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-08-20, 06:12 PM
Yeah, Bardic Knowledge should do as well, so have a look at that spoiler.

knewsom
2008-08-20, 06:16 PM
knowledge: Religion (all of 1 rank.) [roll0]

NobleSavage
2008-08-20, 06:22 PM
Know Religion [roll0]

On the off chance things should happen to get ugly...
Initiative [roll1]

Toliudar
2008-08-20, 06:22 PM
We should always roll so well.

Ozzy, do we need to create an initiative setup again, or are we continuing the previous one?

knewsom
2008-08-20, 06:24 PM
init. [roll0]

ranged touch attack on Wesal. Reflex DC 18 for half

[roll1]

damage [roll2]

Edit: oh, things are getting ugly alright.

Toliudar
2008-08-20, 06:27 PM
All rightee Init: [roll0]

Think I'll delay till just after Draven's action resolves before acting.

Edit. Ah. Probably working out that way anyway. Never mind.

NobleSavage
2008-08-20, 06:42 PM
She sends her thoughts out first to Kaleff, if he's nearby.

The ritual's in full swing. Need you in the altar room.

Haha.

Also, am I mistaken, or was there something in Infernal? Just checked, Kaleff has it.

Edit: Another thing; something's been bothering me, knewsome, are you sure you have to make a touch attack for your breath weapon? I always thought it functioned like a Bolt of Lightning. You usually aren't afforded a reflex save when someone lands a touch attack on you.

Lycar
2008-08-20, 06:42 PM
Aw man. I need to learn to type faster... :smallsigh:

Seems like Orin's action isn't that dramatic after all. :smallfrown:

Also: Should have asked Draven to top off his HP before getting into the next fight maybe... :smalleek:

Lycar

Toliudar
2008-08-20, 06:49 PM
I'd say that appearing suddenly in the middle of the room and trying to yank away a ceremonial dagger is plenty dramatic, in an Indiana Jones kind of way. Besides, by initiative, you're ahead of Draven anyway. So, if both of your actions work, we have the dagger pulled away and the priest acid-bathed in one smooth go.

knewsom
2008-08-20, 07:11 PM
aha, reading the SRD, I guess I DON'T need an attack roll.

And yeah, Orin's action is plenty dramatic! Cool stuff. This is about to be one helluva showdown. I'm thinking we'll need to put a rush-order on resurrecting Livina. ;)

knewsom
2008-08-20, 07:12 PM
gah, I always forget the d4 for rounds 'till he can use it again.

[roll0]

Ozzy_G
2008-08-21, 07:57 AM
Okay, let's get on with initiative.
Gothul 21
Wesal 20
Azakan 19
Kaleff 17
Orin 15
Draven 12
Ismal 10

Ozzy_G
2008-08-21, 08:03 AM
And you are against
[roll0]
[roll1]
and maybe or maybe not against
[roll2]
Edit: ouch for you!

I'm sorry this last bit has been rather chaotic. I wanted to see if anyone would let Gothul have his evil monologue... ah, well. I guess he'll have to do it with free speech actions.

I couldn't get onto Kaleff's sheet, sorry, no-one else spoke Infernal. Here it is, just for you:
With this sacrifice we bind a pact between man and the Guardian of Heart's Blood! We profane life and spit on the Elder Gods! Let our empire rule for ever! May the Guardian feed on the heart's blood of his enemies!

The Great Skenardo
2008-08-21, 08:08 AM
The thing is, real villains never get a monologue because D&D doesn't have rules for cinematics.
This frustrates my RL DM to no end because he things of JRPGs first when he thinks of RPGs, so he's expecting that PCs will sit still and listen while he's holding a small child hostage.

Ozzy_G
2008-08-21, 08:12 AM
That's quite true. I assumed the attack would immediately happen, but I thought I'd see.
If you really need an evil villain monologue, your best bit is something like Project Image.

I will need a Will save for Draven please, DC 26.
If he passes, he takes 75 damage. If he fails, he takes 150 damage. Either way, the damage cannot put him below 1HP.

I will need a Will save for Orin, DC 18, or be affected by Hold Person.

The Great Skenardo
2008-08-21, 08:24 AM
My DM did some creative misreading of Sanctuary to put it like this:

"You enter the room, and you see the rebel general seated on a throne of polished stone and steel. But you get the feeling as you enter the room that you can't hurt him in any way, but that he also can't hurt you."

Evil Guy: "Blah blah blah insignificant insects blah blah my master has commanded me to destroy you blah blah blah"

Me: ...

"...Okay, you feel the magic fade. Roll for initiative."

knewsom
2008-08-21, 09:13 AM
hoo-boy. I need a natty 20 to not go down to 1 HP. And if I DO save, I'll have 3. (was at 78 before)

will save. [roll0]

knewsom
2008-08-21, 09:28 AM
ok, so switching aura to "fast healing", giving everyone 3 HP per round up to half their max (I know, everyone else is already AT half their max, we'll see how long that lasts). Draven is also healing himself 40 HP using his touch of vitality, bringing his current HP to 44. (this does not bode well for our Shaman)

here's an attack roll on Gothul.

[roll0] dmg [roll1] elect [roll2]

[roll3] dmg [roll4] elect [roll5]

Toliudar
2008-08-21, 09:46 AM
Clutching at every straw, I'm calling Ismal's appeal to Azakan a diplomacy attempt, to get him to change his mind about going along with Gothul.

Diplomacy [roll0]

knewsom
2008-08-21, 10:07 AM
dude - you killed the kid??? :smalleek:

Toliudar
2008-08-21, 10:11 AM
Absolutely! Hopefully, no sacrifical victim = no completed ritual. One dead orphan is a small price to pay for not getting Gothul back in the world.

This would be an example of why Draven is Good, and Ismal is...not.

Ozzy_G
2008-08-21, 11:27 AM
Well, I will roll the opposed roll against Orin's possible disarm, which of course won't happen if he is Held.
[roll0]

Edit: Okay, well either Orin does the disarm attempt or he doesn't, but it fails anyway, so I'll write the next bit anyway.

Ozzy_G
2008-08-21, 11:28 AM
And here is Wesal's mighty reflex save against the ice.
[roll0]

Ozzy_G
2008-08-21, 11:44 AM
Gothul's roll to cast defensively.
[roll0]

Ozzy_G
2008-08-21, 11:47 AM
A lucky escape for Kaleff... I suppose that natural 1 balances out with the natural 20 he got to use Sleight of Hand on Ismal and steal the crown.

Ozzy_G
2008-08-21, 11:49 AM
Kaleff's go.
Then Orin, though I'll still need a will save for last round. If he failed, then he gets another one this round to escape. If he passed, then he tried to disarm Wesal and failed, so it's then his go after Kaleff.

knewsom
2008-08-21, 12:31 PM
Wisdom check to see if we're all gonna die. [roll0]

Ozzy_G
2008-08-21, 12:37 PM
Well, you are fighting a God... you know, you could just take Azakan's route and surrender, and let him take over. He might keep you alive. You know, for fun.

The Great Skenardo
2008-08-21, 12:43 PM
Games like, "How many times can I kill you in one hour?"

Incidentally, any Chance Sumner can try a Aid Another check?

knewsom
2008-08-21, 12:44 PM
ehhhhhhh nah, Draven'd rather die. ...or flee, as the case may be. But he's never run from a fight yet, so that's not incredibly likely.

Lycar
2008-08-21, 01:23 PM
Aw man, the weasel gets a nat. 20? :smallannoyed:

Oh well, at least Orin has a high will save. He has a fair chance to make it...

1. Will Save vs. Hold Person: [roll0]

2. Will Save vs. Hold Person: [roll1]

Either way, as soon as he can act again, he will try to use the magic of his words...

Lycar

NobleSavage
2008-08-21, 01:56 PM
A lucky escape for Kaleff... I suppose that natural 1 balances out with the natural 20 he got to use Sleight of Hand on Ismal and steal the crown.

Funny, I was thinking Kaleff's natural 20 to use Sleight of Hand on Sumner/Gothul balanced it out. Don't forget that he has to make a Concentration check while still entangled. If he wants to get out, he can make a DC 13 Str or Escape Artist check as a full-round action, otherwise got that -4 to Dex, -2 attacks, yadda yadda yadda.

Toli/Knew: You guys alert us as to that ship?

Oh, and has Sumner/Gothul's hair turned blonde yet?