PDA

View Full Version : Age of Ruin OOC: Facing down destiny

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Ozzy_G
2008-04-09, 03:11 PM
This is the latest OOC thread for Age of Ruin.

Lycar
2008-04-09, 05:17 PM
Okay, so does Orin get the hat to work? Usually these things have a command word or something, which Orin doesn't know of course.

Any chance for him to figure it out?

Also, if Orin, with all the martial gear he happens to lug around at the moment, decides to disguise himself as a fighter type... what would be the most appropriate for someone with a kite shield and a mace?

Some kind of mercenary perhaps? If so, what kind of coat of arms, if any, do davethran mercenaries depict on their shield?

Although i heard that sometimes mercs would simply paint their shields black, denoting the lack of allegiance to any particular side. Would that work?

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-04-09, 05:33 PM
Mercenaries tend to either have no coats of arms, or that of their own houses (many warriors from houses that no longer command any political power have taken up mercenary work). Of course, a member of a warrior house is unlikely to use a mace, more likely he will have his ancestral katana. But then, he might have lost it. With a mace, a common mercenary, with no coat of arms, is more likely.

Ozzy_G
2008-04-11, 05:45 PM
Right, that'll be Knowledge (Geography), Knowledge (Religion) and Bardic Knowledge checks, if you've got them.

Lycar
2008-04-11, 06:09 PM
Sorry, Orin only knows Nobility, Local, History and Arcana.

But ah! He is a bard after all...

Bardic Knowledge: [roll0]

Either way, he'll know enough to pull back Tharok behind some cover and use his Hat of Disguise again to look decidedly non-davethran. :smallamused:

Not speaking the language could be a problem. And let's hope that is not a statue of Silarthis. Does it look like the one in the Illithid ruins by any chance?

Maybe he can score brownie points by pretending to have taken the shield from a cleric of Isana he killed. Would even be half true. :smallwink:

Not going to find clerics willing to resurrect his companions easily though.

Ugh.. maybe they would even be impressed by him having taken the heads of his enemies. :smalleek:

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-04-11, 08:11 PM
Does it look like the one in the Illithid ruins by any chance?
Nope.

Alright, what exactly are you going to look like?

Lycar
2008-04-12, 06:33 AM
I'll take from the lack of information forthcoming, regarding the people and their customs, that Orin simply doesn't know anything about them then.

Very well. So Orin just has to improvise. Too bad he dropped 'Tongues' back then, isn't it. :smallamused:

So since the original recruitment thread has long met digital oblivion, do the Darven (like Tharok) look differently from Davethrans? Anyway, that would appear to be their best bet at the moment.

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-04-12, 09:36 AM
I'll take from the lack of information forthcoming, regarding the people and their customs, that Orin simply doesn't know anything about them then.

Nope.

Dar Ven are much hairier than Davethrans. A bit darker too, but their facial features are reasonably similar.

Lycar
2008-04-12, 07:02 PM
Hrm.. i was wondering if i forgot to use Orin's Detect Thought spell to spy on their thoughts and learn valuable information about what is going on here.

But then i remembered that he won't be able to read their thoughts anyway, since he doesn't know their language. :smallsigh:

Now i don't feel that bad about it anymore. :smallamused:

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-04-13, 06:00 AM
Bet that was a surprise...

Lycar
2008-04-13, 07:18 AM
:eek:

I'll say... that was unexpected indeed.

Wait a moment, didn't the elf in the desert say that Azakan had been turned into a mindless beast by Ravan?

Unless... he, i thought only the people inside the pocket universe when it collapsed were duplicated.

Oh well, this is... different.

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-04-13, 01:13 PM
Wait a moment, didn't the elf in the desert say that Azakan had been turned into a mindless beast by Ravan?

Yes, he did.

Lycar
2008-04-13, 02:10 PM
Well, it's Tharok's vision. So there he goes. :smalltongue:

Lycar

Lycar
2008-04-17, 03:33 PM
Just out of curiousity, what does Orin know about the Dar Ven? I was kinda winging it here anyway...

If rolls are needed, i'll provide History and Bardic Knowledge.

Know. History: [roll0]

Bardic Know.: [roll1]

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-04-18, 05:11 AM
On their history, you know nothing at all. On their culture and so on, you know that they are cannibals, savages, and live in huts in the mountains of Dar Ven. They live in little tribes. That's about it.

Lycar
2008-04-18, 01:55 PM
Yes, that was about what i was figuring from those rolls. :smallamused:

Seems like i portrayed Orin's actual knowledge about the Dar Ven about right. :smalltongue:

Lycar

Lycar
2008-04-22, 04:52 PM
Soo.... Tharok has nothing more to add then ?

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-04-23, 01:31 PM
You can make two spellcraft checks to determine the spells being cast if you wish. Also, a spot check and two intelligence checks please.

Lycar
2008-04-23, 03:22 PM
You can make two spellcraft checks to determine the spells being cast if you wish. Also, a spot check and two intelligence checks please.

Sure, let's see what we learn...

Spellcraft 1, reporting for duty: [roll0]

Spellcraft 2, coming online: [roll1]

So let's see what's there to be seen: [roll2]

And straight IQ doing its work: [roll3], [roll4]

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-04-23, 04:45 PM
You remember the dragon-tattood man and the woman from the Bronze Cauldron tavern in Halgarth, you saw them in there. They were Livina's companions. And should be dead... like Khorik and Kaleff.
No idea who the green boy is though.
Also, will save and current surface thoughts please.

Lycar
2008-04-23, 05:20 PM
Hrm, i should probably be surprised but after Orin just happened to come across Azakan and he mentioned people he needs to meet, i had a feeling... :smallamused:

Sumner is not with them? A pity, i was hoping Skenardo was still playing. Oh well. Maybe we get to raise Livina and maybe even Lucidae eventually. :smallwink:

And now for the natural one on the will save: [roll0]

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-04-24, 07:33 AM
Will save for Tharok:
[roll0]
Will save for Azakan:
[roll1]

Lycar
2008-04-24, 01:01 PM
Any chance to know what kind of critter the green feathery one is? Some kind of bird-man perhaps? After all, your world has Nezumi too...

I'll just roll for Bardic Knowledge, i don't think any of Arcana, History, Local or Nobility would apply. Otherwise, all checks are at +10, except Arcana, which is at +5.

Bardic Knowledge (about bird-people): [roll0]

Oh and before i forget: Does Orin realize that something forces a will save from him? Maybe the bounty huntress tried to Charm Person him or something.

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-04-25, 06:16 AM
Something was trying to get into his mind...

Nothing for the Bardic Knowledge I'm afraid.
What's the DC of the Detect Thoughts spell?
Also, another spot check please.

Lycar
2008-04-25, 12:36 PM
Detect Thoughts is lv 2. Orin has 18 Charisma... just a humble DC 16.

Spot check: [roll0]

Also, Orin tries to keep his poker face... apply circumstance modifiers if you will. That feather boy is actually Sumner is quite a surprise... :smalleek:

Keep Cool (Bluff) check: [roll1]

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-04-25, 01:01 PM
That's some good poker-facing there.

Lycar
2008-04-25, 02:21 PM
Eeep! :smalleek:

They are posting in the thread! :smalleek: :smalleek:

Oh well, so much for trying to keep Orin's identity secret a while longer. :smallsigh:

Uhm well. That probably means, scratch the idea from the PM then. :smallconfused:

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-04-25, 02:42 PM
Sorry, I thought you were keeping mum, so it wouldn't matter.
I told them not to look at the first two pages of the thread. So they don't actually know that you are Orin, as you didn't say it in that last post. Perhaps you might want to edit your last post to remove the thing about the story though.

Lycar
2008-04-25, 03:20 PM
Well, i didn't expect the spanish inquisition them to starti posting in our thread. :smallconfused:

There, i went and deleted the post, as if they didn't read it already. :smallsigh:

Also, if Azakan wants to skip the trip to the clerics, Orin might want to take a detour, he does feel strongly about bringing back at least Rego Vel.

Or in other words: If he had to choose one of them, Rego would be it.

Also... do the heads really smell up the place already? it hasn't even been a day since they died. :smallconfused:

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-04-25, 03:29 PM
They're not really, really strong. But there are three of them, and the air was quite humid down on the grass plains.

Lycar
2008-04-25, 04:23 PM
Well, it is time to gross out some bounty hunters.

Is it some kind of check to make the choice of head appear random?

Sleight of hand maybe?

If so: [roll0]

And just to 'keep appearances', here is what Orin the Dar Ven mercenary wants to do now. Maybe post after the others had a chance to post a reaction to the tale too.

The Dar Ven mercenary listens to the replies of the strangers. Then he speaks again. "There is more. I and Tharok, we were guided here by vision. We also met some people... uh.. not. We met... Mind Flayer who had killed people. Tharok kills Mind Flayer. We wonder if people are part of destiny?"

The mercenary goes on and takes off his backpack. He opens it and pulls out something from it, putting it down on the table in front of you.

To your horror, it is a human head. The head of a Mokai woman to be exact...

###
Feel free to improvise on them realizing it is Livina's head. :smallamused:

Orin so wants to see the look on those thrice accursed bounty hunters faces... :smallcool:

Lycar

Lycar
2008-04-26, 02:45 PM
Hm... Orin wears the Steel Amulet, the one that Tharok has was identified as an Amber Amulet. Is that the gold one?

If so, then Orin will say so:

The Dar Ven mercenary regards Draven's show of emotion with the same stoic expression he displayed so far.

"We travelled to ancient ruins. Vision told us to. We come across Mind Flayer. Is buisy eating brains of people, so Tharok kills it. There were four. We could not carry bodies, so we took heads and all we could carry."

Looking over at Tharok, he continues "You took other amulet, right? Maybe is the one?"

Of course Tharok is supposed to show the amulet to the others.

Oh and Orin still lugs the elven quarterstaff around. Since he can't exactly stuff it down his pants or into the backpack, Sumner might recognize it from the time he travleed through the ash desert with Orin and Gareth.

As for his weapons layout, he is keeping the barbed mace at his side along with the scourge. He doesn't know what it does but Orin hopes it involves not-nice things for everybody he hits with it.

Er.. he knows the mace seems to have adverse effects on people above and beyond the crushing of bones but he doesn't know what the scourge does, because he didn't see it perform in combat. But since bards are apparently proficient with whips, he hold on to it.

Oh and he keeps the short sword concealed on his body again. Probably along a tight or something.

Livina's acidic mace and Krashnix flaming mace ought to be in Tharoks backpack as far as i remember.

Looked up the old post:

Okay, let's see... Orin carries about 31 p of gear about now, including Livina's backpack : CS

He would like to equip Krashnix's shield (if they meet a mind flayer, they are dead anyway. For everything else, the shield may offer protection and Orin can use shields.) 20 p.

He would also like to wield the Cruel (barbed) Mace, since he saw it mess up Livina. Heck, that might even mess up a single mind flayer with lots of luck! 12 p

He would also like to wear the scourge at his belt. It has reach, as a bard he can use it (don't ask where he learned to though) and maybe it does nasty things to stuff he hits with it. 2 p

Livian wants her tools back: 1 p (or 2 if masterwork)

And she might miss her flute too. ? p

Orin also takes all of Livina's jewelry, magic or otherwise. ? p

He will offer Tharok to wear the Amber Amulet, the Golden Death Head Ring, and the slightly singed Vest.

Orin wants to equip the Boots, the Catseye Gloves, the Cobra Hood Ring, the Steel Amulet and the Hat of Disguise (the blood gets disguised too). ? p

He will stuff into the backpack the heads of Krashnix, Rego and Livina.

This should bring him to 89 p, or maybe a bit more, depending on the boots and stuff having weigth that needs taking into account.

So he can still carry 11 p worth of coins for max. load.

Ozzy_G: What exactly do you want Tharok to carry?

Lycar: What i want him to carry ? Every damn thing he can !

So actually the 'slightly alien head' is actually supposed to be in Tharok's backpack.

Lycar

Lycar
2008-04-26, 06:25 PM
Yeah well, time for Orin to keep playing the part then.

Off out come the heads..

The Dar Ven nods. "So she was with you. Then her fate is not sealed yet. Do you know those too?"

He proceeds to put 3 more heads on the table...

(to be described by GM)

Then he goes on to add some words about each of the heads. He points to the red-haired head first. "This one was warrior. Had scale armour and shield, it had picture of fire bird on it. Also had mace."

He points to the young man next. "This one was naked when we found him. Dunno why."

Finally, he indicates the alien head. "She was wearing robes. Didn't have much stuff on her. She looks strange, you know who she is?" His tone suggests that he rather means to ask 'what' she is though.

He furrows his brows and goes on. "There was also dead mule. But not brain eaten. Dunno what killed it. There was chest on mule with much coins. We think, we take coins to pay priests to raise one of dead to learn if they part of destiny. Or just to spite Mind Flayer. That good reason all by itself."

To demonstrate, the mercenary pulls out a few platinum coins from the backpack (with bloody stains on some of them) and shows them around.

Lycar

Lycar
2008-04-27, 03:43 AM
Lady Ismal Pennefar, eh? Now that we have a name on the bounty huntres, let's see if Orin's heraldic knowledge is up to the task, shall we?

Knowledge Nobility: [roll0]

And just to see if Orin remembers any stories floating around:

Bardic Knowledge: [roll1]

About the maces. We only took the magic ones. I suppose, the mace that Livina was lugging around is the one the dragon clansman is asking about.

Well, that one is in Tharok's backpack. So it's up to him to show it forth.

Of course, 'Bren' could say something like:

The Dar Ven turns to his fellow barbarian and asks "That mace we found on girl, maybe is the one?"

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-04-27, 04:02 AM
The Pennifars are a small noble house with a high concentration of draconic blood and little in the way of demonic blood. They are quite isolationist, rarely leaving their main estate.

MattKatt
2008-04-27, 11:30 AM
I RETURN

What did I miss?

Lycar
2008-04-27, 11:42 AM
What, the dragon man feels excitedly generous? Now let us seize up on that opportunity then.

The mercenary looks at Draven for a few seconds, his expression as unreadable as before. Then he says: "Why does weapon mean so much to you? Is just tool. You want to show gratitude? Help bring those four back to life then."

He then turns to Azakan. "Azakan, you are man of destiny but also of honour. You understand i must keep word i gave to have them raised if i can do so. We going to see priests? If not, show me the way, give me a horse. Tell me where to meet you. This is something i need to do. I promised."

The Dar Ven pauses for a moment before he continues "This is important. I could have left them behind, made off with the loot. But that is .... the resonable thing to do. What wolf would do. But wolf is evil. Bring them back? Is foolish, wolf would scoff. So is right thing to do. I lost my strength of arm, fighting demon. I was strong man once. But maybe i need find .. other kind of strength. Strength to do things because they are right. Not because they are reasonable."

(I promised i would raise you. All of you. Even Lucidae. Even if it's only so i can throttle her for killing that poor mule. Yes, i could easily argue that the fate of the empire is more important then 4 lives. But i have had quite enough of such arguing for the rest of my life. That is just the way a tyrant would argue. What are these four compared to the empire? Well, these four are part of the empire too. The empire of life, the only one that really counts. And i owe it to them and myself to keep the promise i gave, foolish or not.)

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-04-28, 09:22 AM
Orin can still hear Sumner's thoughts. He seems to be having some sort of strange conversation while the rest of you talk:

Did you know the Emperor, spirit?
[pause]
Then maybe you can tell me; that vision I had in Goramesh...was that reality? Did I truly meet the Sire of the Empire?
[pause]
...Tell me, how long have you been...aware? Was it in Goramesh?
[pause]
I will; it is good that the Revered Zere is avenged. But let me give Ismal and Draven a moment.

Also, when they talk about a "prophecy", you get the memory of listening to the woman, Ismal Pennifar, reciting it to everyone. In addition, the memory of feeling great evil from an amulet around a neck, which she still wears now.
The prophecy:
The King of Devils will attack his own Empire three days after he meets his companion in death.
One day later, the Dog that bit its Master will die, by the machinations of the Master's son.
The Master's son will try and take the world himself, but he has a choice. Justice or Tyranny? And his self-appointed advisor is the Host of the Demon-God, you shall know him for he is the One Who Seeks Justice.
Yet the Demon-God would have him be a Tyrant.
The Day before this day, the youngest son of the Master will die, his war over by the hand of the Double of the Lorekeeper. This leaves the door for his brother to take the world.
This is the future. You do not have much time.
While they talk of assassins trying to kill Sumner, you get the memory of men wearing dark blue suits coming up over the side of a ship and trying to stab Sumner to death, and a picture of him in their possession, showing him in his current, young form, but without the green skin or feathers. Then there is the memory of Khorik scaring one of them into talking, and the assassin admitting they were hired by a Mokai man.
When Azakan asks them about the prophecy and assassinations, Sumner thinks:
What game are you playing at, Azakan? Why are you still running from your responsibilities? Will I have to be watchdog on both fronts? And did you think to cut down Sumner Kesh before he could try and lead you to your throne? Troubling.

All the italic speech between characters is them talking telepathically. This gets fed into Sumner's mind somehow, even when they're talking privately not to him, and then Orin can pick it up from there.
And obviously, any italic thinking from Sumner Orin will hear. The spell lasts a minute a level.

Lycar
2008-04-28, 12:31 PM
Well well well... what a useful spell Detect Thoughts turns out to be...

And this also explains Orin's impenetrable pokerface: His mind is reeling with all the new information flooding it that he can't spare a cycle to twitch a muscle... :smallamused:

(Okay, let's see if we can make head and tails of this (or however that saying goes). Apparently my old friends and their new bountyhunter scum friends (yes, Orin can hold a grudge against people he doesn't like. Says so in his background :smallwink:) are somehow telephatic. Good to know. So if they exchange 'knowing looks', they really know...

And lo and behold... another prophecy. This one even genuine i believe.

Hmm... )

"The King of Devils will attack his own Empire three days after he meets his companion in death."

([i]Whatever that means.. unless Gothul is supposed to be the King of Devils.. na, doesn't make sense... )

"One day later, the Dog that bit its Master will die, by the machinations of the Master's son."

(Ohh... but i know that. Azakan killed the servant who betrayed and assasinated his father. Which was.. yesterday? Two days ago? Then the King of Devils is already marching!)

"The Master's son will try and take the world himself, but he has a choice. Justice or Tyranny? And his self-appointed advisor is the Host of the Demon-God, you shall know him for he is the One Who Seeks Justice.
Yet the Demon-God would have him be a Tyrant."

(Self-appointed advisor? But... heck *i* wouldn't mind giving Azakan a few clues... or rather, i'd have Sumner Kesh be emperor. But who is the one who seeks justice? Erk... Orin you fool.. did you cast your 'wolf' in the role of the would-be-deceiver? With yellow eyes, just like yourself? Hah, stop flattering yourself... uhm, this is awkward...)

"The Day before this day, the youngest son of the Master will die, his war over by the hand of the Double of the Lorekeeper. This leaves the door for his brother to take the world.
This is the future. You do not have much time."

(Hm... isn't Ravan supposed to be a younger brother of Azakan? Maybe even the youngest? But that would mean Ravan zere is already dead, slain by the double of the ... lorekeeper... oh yes... of all the people in the vault that fateful day, who would qualify to be called a 'lorekeeper' ... *sigh* why, so my peace loving alter-ego is now a .. what, a king-slayer? Resistance hero? Seems like the Qusan put his talents to good use after all. Ugh, i just hope he's well and alive. And not dominated or something...

I better [i]not show my face around Ravan's domain... although i suppose other-Orin ought to know better then to let his true self be seen. Either way...

But... did Sumner just ask Azakan how he would go about slaying the pretender? Heh, they don't realize that the pretender is dead already. And then, by extension, you don't realize that the demon king's army is marching either, do you... better give you a hint then.)

Bren exchanges a glance with Tharok, then he nods.
"Very well. You are man of honour. You slew the dog that bit it's master to avenge your father, like a good son should do. And you will slay this .. pretender... who is this man anyway? How could he seize the throne?"

"But if you give your word, this is good enough for me."

[Sorry, colour tags don't work right now.]

(Poor Kizima. If i even had but a speck of dust from you, your fate might not be sealed yet. Oh well, she probably would be mad at me for pulling her out off her well-deserved afterlife anyway.

So, let's hope Sumner gets the hint. Otherwise i'll just have to have another 'vision'. I watched how it worked for Tharok, i'll just do as he did. And hope he shuts up long enough for me to explain things to him later.)

Lycar

Lycar
2008-04-29, 12:19 PM
Ooookay... silly question: If they died, went to hell and subsequently got outta there WITHOUT being raised from the dead... doesn't that technically make them some sort of undead? :smallconfused:

Wiedergänger? :smalleek:

An inquisitive mind wants to know.

Maybe Bardic Knowledge helps? Or Know. Arcana maybe? Anything? No Know. Religion here, sorry.

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-04-29, 12:29 PM
Go for Bardic Knowledge. Maybe you've heard of this happening before.
They don't look undead... maybe they were raised while you were away?

Lycar
2008-04-29, 01:28 PM
Ha! Those are the worst! Zombie clones from hell! :smalleek:

Also, Orin is paranoid as a matter of habit. Since he grew up in an environment where not being paranoid is grounds for being weeded out by natural selection... :smallamused:

Okay, story time:

Bardic Know: [roll0]

Lycar

Lycar
2008-04-29, 04:01 PM
For the time being:

"Orin told many stories, but I do not think he was very much of a scholar, whatever he might act."

(Hrmph, my pride would like to have a word with you about that, Oathsworn. Soo... went to hell you did, hmm. How did you get out then. Did Sumner Senior rise you? But... then where are your swords. They were interred with you. Your corpse anyway. And you would recall your alter ego a bit more fondly if he was responsibly for your return to the world of the living... how did you get out.)

The Dar Ven frowns and stares at Sumner for a moment, then at the others.

"You say you died and went to hell? How you get out? Who raised you back to live?"

He keeps his expression neutral but his right hand feels for the handle of his mace.

Lycar

Lycar
2008-04-30, 02:37 AM
So.. no story for Orin then? Pity...

Ah but there is soemthing else, isn't there.

(From the destroyed world? Oh right, didn't the crazy aelfin... the male one, from the ash desert that is, didn't he mention something about the amulet not only being a tool bridging the gap between two worlds but also the destruction of the amulet causing the destruction of the other ... existance?

Heh, well met Khalef Nefud, destroyer of worlds... Okay, one world so far but who's counting...

Coming to think of it: Didn't Khalef always claim that his god is so just because he doesn't play favourites? And then... destroying a whole world is kinda... merciles. And justice not tempred by mercy is ... tyranny...)

The Dar Ven's gaze fianlly fixes on Khalef. He stares at the Zhan for a few long seconds, then he speaks.

"I not know what you talk about. What destroyed world? But i say, destroying a world is not merciful. Wiser man then me once said: Justice without mercy is tyranny. Do you seek justice, Zhan?"

Lycar

Lycar
2008-04-30, 02:17 PM
Orin is a bit unnerved by Azakan's stare.

(Was it something i said? Is he up to me? Better keep my cool.)

(A portal, eh? That wouldn't happen to be the one i went through with Tharok? Maybe i should poke a bit...)

The Dar Ven looks at Azakan with a surprised expression. It's about the first time he shows any real emotion since the conversation started.

"Portal? You mean portal in squid-men city that Tharok and i came through? You know how portal works?"

(Halgarth... hm yes... i could just go off and try to find information about high ranking priests... notice my surprise as i learn that a temple of Isana is supposed to be near Halgarth and that the red-haired guy may have been a disciple of Isana. 'cause he has her firebird emblazoned on his shield. Oh and i'm SO going to find out what happens when i drag your corpse to the church and have them raise you Sumner. Ideally you'll be your old, unfeathered self again. And then i can be sure you are not some undead hell-spawn imposter...)

(Ach Sumner, we all have a duty... but is yours to Azakan or all of Davethra? If Azakan is reluctant to reign, maybe it's because he knows what will come... if you were asked, Sumner, would you refuse to serve mankind? Maybe it is not so much a desire to serve but the reluctance to admit to your own responsibility? 'I follow orders!' It's so easy to say, absolves you from your crimes... not! 'I follow orders!' Said Gothuls priests as they cut out the hearts of the sacrifices. In reality, they were just happy it wasn't their own hearts being cut out. 'I follow orders!' Says the mercenary when he cuts down man, woman and child alike, not even out of hatred but out of cowardice, not having the spine to say 'No!'. 'I follow orders!' i said as i led my friend Balthus to the gallows. Figurativly speaking. I know well what i did. It haunts me to this day. I cannot undo what i did, but i can make sure i don't make the same mistake again.)

Lycar

Lycar
2008-04-30, 04:36 PM
Orin casts a sidelong glance at Azakan.

(Uhm... Mind Flayer magic? Keep that off me, tank you very much...)

Still, he tries to figure Azakan out:

Sense Motive: [roll0]

But then Orin seems to be distracted by something and even spaces out a bit, his eyes going blank for a few seconds.

(Halgarth, yes... i could go to the temple of Isana. Bring them Krashnix's head and gear. Well, his mace and shield anyway. They might be happy to have him back. And then... hmm... i stand before their priest or priestess maybe. And they ask me what i want form them... and then... yes... then i tell them...)

###
(
A king with a beard and a stature stout
Once had a wish, nay obsession about
Being ruler of all, to be one with the world
Of being a god, or at the very least
Have the power thereof, to be thrall to no lord
But just you know it, a wish is a beast
Digs fangs in your soul and by my word:
Learn to control it or become it's feast
The king, he studied and studied and learned,
Sacrificed many for the power he yearned,
Summond demon an devil in insane fervour,
And yet none could grant, that what he wished for
So he struck a deal, with a lady of fire
'Oh be so kind to grant my desire'
'Fool' she said 'you shall yet have your wish'
And a fog made of blood sprung forth from the ground
To engulf all that stood or flew around
And one heard a terrible sound all about
Of forms and shapes, twisting and turning
Man, beast and plant, all were burning
With magic within and magic without
And the king with the beard and the stature stout
He finally felt as one with nature
But magic, i say, is a fickle beast,
Chaotic and evil, at the very least,
It turned on the king and he could not stand it,
He burst at the seams, but one good came from it
The fog disappeared and world was as before,
Except for the king, for he was no more.

And his tomb lay forgotten,
with the king dead and rotten.
But his final place of rest,
made of iron and stone,
to keep madness and bone,
safely hidden inside
was put to the test.

From the east, through the plain
came a band made of vain
scoundrels and scholars.
They weren't really fiends
but nor were they Solars.

They were, however, quite a sight:
A priest, tall and proud,
sincerely and loud,
laid waste to the serpent,
killed his servants most fervent,
saved a maiden from a fate most cruel,
and his zeal and devotion was the fuel,
that fed his desire,
to serve the lady of fire.

There were two woman, hunters of head,
meant to collect the bounty that had,
been issued by Govan, Archmage of Ralm
on a man who had, most serenly and calm,
refused to return to the mages realm,
on grounds of rejecting
his planned dissecting
for a purpose most vile.

But their plan was cut short,
when an explosion of sort,
killed off all their friends.
The amazing thing?
They meant to earn credit
by work mostly legit
to earn the right
to bring back to light
their perished companions.

And a man of learning
while not very bold,
was also yearning
to make lots of gold,
because on that day,
in this grisly display,
of the hatered of fiends,
he too lost some friends.

And let's not forget the maid,
who was snatched from the serpents maw,
in a daring and bloody raid,
on a gaggle of cultists they saw.
I mentioned the cleric, did i not?
His anger, his fury, it burned so hot,
he slew all the cultists, surrend'ring or not.

The maiden, however, turned out to be
not from this world, but an aelfin you see,
and it appears, she was quite mad
(although she had a beautiful hat).

A scholar, he led the band,
with feverent devotion he had planned,
to learn the secret of the living land.
And when the time came he laid his hand
on the tome of lore, which then he penned
down in his book.

Or so we think, that's what he found,
for he was gone, nowhere about.

Alas, as it were,
things went downhill from there.

You see, a golem, a guard of the tomb,
meant to protect the graves inner womb,
Was first pacified by the bards clever trick,
but then he suddenly developed a tick,
to crush the intruders, with his bronze fist.

The battle was fierce, many blows exchanged,
the party was very heav'ly engaged.
Poor Kizima, she bought the farm,
the golem, he brought down his arm,
on the halfling bitches head.
crush! And she was quite dead.

We finally managed to disable the threat,
thanks to the aelfin because she had,
showered with magic the golem's abode.
Many balls of fire she made explode,
cracking the golem, almost alone.
In the end, the iron brought victoy home.

Long story short, not long after that,
Tharok the fighter poked in his head,
through the door to the west.
In the end it turned out, to be for the best.

Whatever madness the tomb had contained,
our friend Rego it had claimed,
drove him insane, made him drunken with power,
made his spirit and mind, fuse with the tower.

We tried to flee, i'm loathe to admit,
but escape we could not, not one little bit.
Time itself, it slowed down so much,
in a matter of hours, four days had been passed!

So we turned back,
followed the track
to the mad dwarve's tomb.

With Tharok's braveness, luck and audacity,
Rego Vel was brough back from insanity.

So we packed up and meant to return.
Glory or shame,
it was all the same
if we got back alive, and not in an urn.

But upon reaching the ruin, desaster struck!
Where it came from, we'll never know.
Illithid! The cry went up!
The fiend, it attacked and in his tow,
came death to my friends, and even Rego
who i had promised to protect and lo,
i now stand here and beseech you,
bring back my friends! Please! Do so!

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-05-01, 09:12 AM
Will save for Orin please, DC 18.

Lycar
2008-05-01, 09:14 AM
Orin mumbles under his breath, just loud enough for Azakan to hear (and those who make their listen checks i assume :smallamused:).

"... a sad chief who must force his tribe to obey..."

(Bah, i don't like this one bit. You don't feel like doing this but it doesn't really stop you, does it? Sorry Azakan, but if i get a word to say about it you will not get to force your will on anyone, reluctantly or otherwise. As Sumner Kesh senior said, magic corrupts. No Azakan, not another empire forged by subjugating others. It won't have a chance if it is not born out of the free will of the people to join forces. And with a devil army on the march, what better thing to rally against?)

Lycar

Lycar
2008-05-01, 09:17 AM
And a will save too: [roll0]

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-05-01, 09:25 AM
Orin feels some sort of pressure on his mind, like something is trying to get in. But he concentrates, and forces it out.

Lycar
2008-05-01, 10:31 AM
Invader repelled - yeah, that's right! Get out of my mind while i'm buisy getting into other people's mind! :smallamused:

So Orin still gets to intercept the broadcasts of the others via tapping into Sumner's surface thoughts? Neat.

Also: Azakan want who to f themselves now? :smallconfused:

Time for another Bardic Knowledge check methinks: [roll0]

And once again: The ability to have a chance to know a little bit about virtually everything, however small, is just such a nice feature of being a bard. I wouldn't trade it for any other class feature. :smallcool:

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-05-01, 10:58 AM
It is extremely useful.
However, in this case, you don't know what he's talking about. However, the language sounds like Celestial.

Lycar
2008-05-02, 01:36 PM
"Do you know where Ne'sha came from, who thought it up?"

I suspect Goramesh but does Orin know? :smallconfused:

Know. History: [roll0]

Anyway:

Bren looks at Azakan for a long moment. Then he speaks up:
"To use the power of the crown, it is the easy way, the reasonable way. Wolf choose this. You do not use crown? Then there will be fighting, dying, much blood flying. But do you need an empire? Your people are Davethrans. Leave the Qusan alone, and the Mokai and all others. You no longer need to quest for more souls to sacrifice. Dragon Lady is right. If Empire is only built on force and evil, is not worth it. Take the crown, show it to the archmages and destroy it. Then give them choice: Give them chance to make their live mean something. Maybe they accept. Then life is good. If they refuse, fighting will break out. But better die fighting for what you believe in then live without hope."

"Azakan, wolf preys on gazelle. So wolf is master of gazelle? But what would wolf eat without gazelle? It is predator who is at mercy of prey. Not the other way around. What would nobles do without peasant providing for them? Die they would, simply. One needs the other for living. Make sure they all learn this truth. Then life will be good again."

Turning to Ismael, Bren adds "You are talking words of wisdom. I hope, you mean true. And not only for Pennefar people."

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-05-02, 02:44 PM
Um... you don't know who thought it up. Which is kind of odd. It just kind of... exists.

Lycar
2008-05-02, 03:53 PM
Okay... dare i assume that the nat. 20 on this roll makes Orin unshakably certain that, in all his year of reading stuff he never, ever came upon a story or report about the origins of ne'sha? :smallconfused:

(Well... now that you mention it? Where does this ne'sha come from anyway. Coming to think of it... damned if i know. Goramesh! One would thing that the origins of something so elemental as the noble's code of honour would be well documented... unless...)

But that is when Azakan has his fit.

Orin is quite shocked at what he sees, a cold shiver running down his spine.

(But...! Azakan?! Who or what is controlling you? This.. is bad... very, very bad...)

Then he calms himself down by finding something else to think about and his racing heart slows down again.

(... what did you say? The only one not brought up to believe Gothul's lies? Not quite... not quite.. i just learned early on that everybody is lying. Sometimes even to themselves. Well, actually, most of the time. Like when you tell yourself, life at the archmages court is good until you start believing it yourself. Ask me about lying of all people? Oh i could tell you stories... and a few of them would even be true.. but what do you want to tell us Azakan? Maybe there is more to you then i was giving you credit for.. maybe you truly... ah but that's just it, isn't it? Whoever it is that controls you doesn't want things to go different.. different from what? There is a demon army on the march, doesn't it need destroying? We still might want to ask the archmages for help... What hope are you talking about? Hrm... i remember a certain short and stout priest of Gothul we once met in a roadside inn... i took a stab at the dark and hit a hornet's nest.. intersting times... maybe...)

Bren looks horrified at Azakan after his fit, it takes him several seconds to regain his composure. But then he seems to have recollected his thoughts and speaks up again.

"What is that hope you talk about? False hope? False hope for what, peace? There is no 'peace', there is eating and being eaten, being born and dying again. Some get long life with many sons and die in gloriois battle. Some do not live past first winter because hunting is bad. Still, was their lives, short as it was, not a live? What is it you are afraid of? That gods just use us as playthings in their games? Sure they can, they are gods. So? Live your live, Azakan, allow others to live theirs. If you want to fight, fight those who would deny life. Death is meaningless. Is just end of story. But even short story can be good, if you make it so. We all die. Life means dying, eventually. But does not mean we do not value life. We do. We just not afraid of being wolf and kill. And we not be afraid of being gazelle and be killed. Life is. Accept it and life is good."

"Prophecy says, demons are marching. They just want to conquer. They not alive, so they can not die. They have no place here. This is not about making empire. This is about making sure demons not become rulers again."

(Uhm.. damn it.. now i'm not quite sure what i just said myself. *sigh* I am posing as a Dar Ven cannibalistic barbarian for.. what, a few hours? And i'm already ... gah, this can't be healthy...)

Lycar

Lycar
2008-05-02, 04:30 PM
Yeah well.. what does Bren Orin know about this binding stuff... :smallsigh:

Know Arcana: [roll0]

Aaand: Our jack-of-all-trades Bardic Knowledge: [roll1]

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-05-02, 06:05 PM
It's some sort of magic pact probably, where both parties are bound with certain conditions, for mutual advantage. Demons make them a lot.

Lycar
2008-05-03, 04:34 AM
Well, time to move on to Halgarth and no bardic music left. How.. unfortunate... either way, Orin quickly stuffs everything back into the backpack and makes haste to join up with Azakan again. And since he needs some time to repack the heads, he's still around when Draven goes postal on some table i dare say. :smallsmile:

Of course this also ends the Detect Thoughts. Besides, it wouldn't have lasted until the ruins anyway.

The Dar Ven looks on impassivly as the clansman vents some pent-up agresion on innocent furniture. Still, he mumbles something under his breath as he hefts his re-packed backpack to follow the others.

"... call us barbarians.. hrmph..."

Then a thought seems to strike him and he stops to adress Draven directly.

"If Azakan made pact with spirit, then remember: Spirit always deals for profit and spirit always collects."

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-05-03, 07:17 AM
Draven's waiting until everyone's left the pub.

Lycar
2008-05-03, 06:27 PM
Hmm... just in case we want/need to retrieve those magical sets of armour we had to leave behind later...

As Orin watches Ismal and Darven hold hands as they walk, Orin remember Rhebin's words. Or were it Livina's.

(Hmm.. hot, dragonny sex.. that were her words... i wonder... do i even want to know... well... in the name of science... it might be very educating to watch... hehe... focus! First we need to save the world. Pfft... yeah, right.)

"Azakan?" asks Bren "You can re-set this portal to where it is going now later again, yes? Red-haired warrior may want his armour back, we could not take it. Too bulky. There was scale armour too we could not take. But if money we have is not enough to bring the four back, we might get later?"

(God, keeping up this dumbed-down Davethran language is tiresome...)

Lycar

Lycar
2008-05-04, 05:08 AM
As soon as Azakan steps through the portal, Orin follows.

Hrm, hell if i know what Azakan wants to tell us here.

But i'm getting a feeling that Kaleff should keep another Shatter spell ready.

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-05-04, 09:29 AM
Obviously, since you've gone through the portal, you don't know any of the stuff after post 176, until they come through the portal. Also, as the Detect Thoughts spell is gone, you no longer hear Sumner's, or anyone else's, thoughts or telepathic speech.

MattKatt, are you here?

Ozzy_G
2008-05-05, 05:59 AM
Before the others come through the portal, Azakan looks at you frantically. You've got to help me! Sumner Kesh is possessed by Gothul, he's going to force me to bring back his empire! The sacrifices will start again, just like before... you will help me, won't you? Stop the ritual!
Then Sumner steps through.

Lycar
2008-05-05, 10:18 AM
Orin stares at Azakan blankly for a moment, then, just as he is about to nod and start saying something, Sumner emerges from the portal. Orin reacts just in time...

"... the temple of Isana. I hope, money will be enough. But do not worry, Azakan. I gave my word and my word i will hold, so my strength permits."

(There.. sufficiently ambiguous for Sumner and Azakan should get the message. Ah well... i really have to conduct that resurrection experiment on Sumner's corpse... maybe his soul is forced into his old body, leaving the posessing entity behind... that would be... convenient... )

So it MattKatt going to play Tharok again? Or do you have to keep NPCing him. :smallconfused:

Lycar

Lycar
2008-05-06, 12:35 PM
:smalleek:

Let me guess.. the rain is black... with... soot... dear gods, let it be soot! :smalleek:

If it is indeed black:

[spoiler]Bren mumbles under his breath"Dear gods, let it be soot!"

And yes, in that case he screwed up changing his voice. :smallcool:

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-05-06, 12:40 PM
The rain is not black, just normal. There's just a bit more smoke than normal over the town itself.

Lycar
2008-05-06, 02:07 PM
Uhm.. okay.. well, i wouldn't have been surprised. You are an evil GM after all... :smallbiggrin:

Right. So then..

(Hrm. Clouds and rain. Just the right thing to cheer one up. Ugh, i sure hope this isn't foreboding. Well, not much to do then to soldier on.)

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-05-06, 03:52 PM
If you want to work out what spell Azakan is casting, it's a DC 16 spellcraft check. If you succeed, then you know he's just cast Endure Elements.

Lycar
2008-05-06, 04:02 PM
Okay, so let's see:

Spellcraft: [roll0]

Okay, so Orin happens to be able to recognize the spell (didn't Gareth also use to cast Endure Elements during our trip through the ash desert? Would even make sense for Orin to recall the gestures and verbal components then).

As for actions...

Bren nods approvingly "You tell strange story. But you go and see what lies ahead without being seen, that is good. We will stay with Azakan.

Lycar

Lycar
2008-05-07, 12:46 PM
(Ah, story time again.)

The Dar Ven named Bren just looks over at Draven, gives his companion a short shrug and tells his tale.

"I was mercenary once. Fought for gold. One day, some demon-fiend stings me in battle and i fall down. When i come to again, my strength and health is gone. I had heavy armour and big sword, like Tharok. But i can not wear anymore. So i wandered, aimless. One day, i had dream i talked you about. Did not think much of it. But then meet Tharok. He on vision quest from shaman, very important. So i ask him, if i can join him and he agrees. Then we come upon squid-man and dead people. And Tharok has vision to go through portal to meet destiny. We meet Azakan. Rest you know."

"How come you went to hell?"

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-05-07, 05:19 PM
Bluff check for Orin please.

Lycar
2008-05-08, 12:23 AM
Bluff bluff bluff, bluss the wary Draven...

Bluff: [roll0]

Oh and just in anticipation of Draven's response, here a preemtive Sense Motive check:

Sense Motive: [roll1]

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-05-08, 07:10 AM
He seems to be telling the truth.

Lycar
2008-05-08, 11:49 AM
Aw man, now Ismal is back before Orin could as Draven something else 'in private'. :smallyuk:

Oh well, can't be helped.

(Hrm. So maybe there is some truth about them not knowing about anything bad to befall one Orin Stillwater, if he should be brought back to Ralm. I still don't like you lot. Heh, 'Archmage' Stillwater... yeah, that's gonna happen. Bah, either way... i wonder if they will start poking around about what happened after the explosion in the inn. He, if someone told them about the little expedition... or the corpses stored away at the mortician's... )

Orin ponders some more thoughts of his own but before he can make up his mind to ask Draven more questions, the Lady Ismal returns.

Lycar

Lycar
2008-05-08, 03:12 PM
(Hmm.. about the festivities... i wonder if they were celebrating my alter ego's succesfull assassination of Ravan Zere... oh sorry, his successful 'eternal pacification' mission.)

"Bet they clelebrated Ravan's death." comments Bren out of the blue. "Prophecy said, false emperor be killed by... uh.. 'double of Lorekeeper'. Who is this? Qusan might know."

Lycar

Lycar
2008-05-09, 04:48 PM
'Bren' will just stick with Azakan for the time being.

However, there is still the matter of having a few dead people to raise, so..

Bren turn to the guard an asks. "Are there any temples in town? With priests and such? Powerful priests?"

Lycar

Lycar
2008-05-12, 07:37 AM
(Just great. They sent me on a suicide mission. Well, my other me actually but still. Ah but then again... maybe.. just maybe i can make something out of this. Hm. Need more information first. But if i could pull off convincing people that i am their hero... have to be aware of the mages though, they know better after all. Still, normal people just love a good story. If i can provide one. And make those mages pay for killing me! Well, the other me but still!)

(*sigh* No temples. Why am i not surprised. And look at those burned down buildings. Looks like progrom if you ask me. Just now to find out who got to be scapegoat this time...)

Bren takes a look at the cityscape, with the scars of burned-out buildings pockmarking it and asks: "So what houses did you burn down then? Davethrans?"

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-05-14, 06:02 AM
Orin does actually know where the Wizard's Guild is. You may remember that you all had to take alternate-Orin there after he tortured Livina and murdered that wizard.

Lycar
2008-05-14, 03:00 PM
(... I don't like that one bit. A hero's welcome and then... devils... teleport in and start killing. Poor Sumner Senior.. and to think that i hoped to get back the ring i gave him! Oh cruel fate! Hrm. Anyway, soon as i get a chance to act alone i'll go and gather some informations on my own. Krashnix said there is a temple of Isana near the city, so it should be possible to learn about it. And i better find out where the corpses of Hern, Sumner and Khorik ended up. That mortician that picked them up with his cart... have to ask around... after a change of identity of course... but first the visit to the mage's guild. I better stay in the background and keep eyes and ears open. Get my bearings...)

Orin will keep himself in the background for the time being. His time to act may come later but not now.

Lycar

Lycar
2008-05-14, 05:57 PM
(Hmm? Looting? Ah i suppose they had some 'private' conversation on that subject. Too bad i won't get to cast anoher Detect Thoughts spell easily. But how comes Azakan thinks i'm invited to that party...)

Bren looks at Azakan dumbfounded. "What you say? They have secret-talk .. uhm.. what is it... mind-speaking, yes?"

Bren turns to look at the assembled party with a frown. "No, they not mind-talk to me. I would not like that. Is... invasion. He, what you hide from us, strangers?"

(Hmm well, i better stick to the magic-ignorant Dar Ven role.)

So in case it is required to lend credibility to his air of indignant innocence...

Also what is Azakan up to. :smallconfused:

Sense Azakan's Motive: [roll1]

Lycar

EDIT: Looks at Bluff roll, notices nat. 1, facepalms... :smallsigh:

Ozzy_G
2008-05-14, 06:58 PM
You reckon Azakan is genuinely annoyed that people are talking telepathically behind his back. That's it.

Ozzy_G
2008-05-14, 07:07 PM
DC 18 will save for Orin please.

Lycar
2008-05-15, 02:24 AM
Oh oops. Seems like this disguise isn't going to hold much longer... :smallcool:

Will save: [roll0]

(Oh.. they did not? Heh well, i was there so... damn it, this is... inconvenient. I sure hoped i could keep this up until after meeting the archmages. What to do? Hm... first let's see how much they really suspect. And then, think of something, fast. And what was that ringing sound?)

"I'm not doing anything. And i'm not a shaman. And you Zhan talked about a world destroyed, so i thought you did it. Was i wrong?"

And to think that with as much as a roll of 2 instead of 1 he would still have been quite convincing with a 18 bluff...

So do you use the 'a nat. 1 = -10' rule? Or just 'a nat. 1 is fun - for the DM'? :smallamused:

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-05-15, 06:48 AM
Oh no, 1 is definitely fun for the DM. When you get a chance, ask Noble Savage about Kaleff's natural 1 on trying to use a scroll of Teleport.

Can I have another bluff check for Orin please.

Lycar
2008-05-15, 12:41 PM
Nat. 1 on a Use Device check for a scroll of teleport? Sounds... interesting...

Anyway, here comes another bluff check:

(Ugh... direct questions.. evil.. how to weasel out of that? Maybe... a truth offense. Overwhelm him with honesty, just 'forget' to mention the incriminating bits... yeah, that ough to work. Damn i really need to talk to him alone...)

Bren looks taken aback, opens his mouth as if to protest his innocence but then falters. "I'm no archmages spy. Not anymore anyway. I used to work for Govan of Ralm, years ago. But then i botched a job and fell out of favour. I have been avoiding any archmages like the plague since then. And yes, i have been listening in to your little private conversation. At least as much as i could get from the green one. You others were too tough a nut to crack. I actually have a bit of a talent for magic myself. Never was much of a warrior though." While his voice still carries a certain accent, his Davethran is obviously much better then he tried to make you believe.

No spy = true, botched job = true, avoidance of archmagi = true, listening in to Sumner's thoughts only = true, bit of magic talent = true if you consider bards to have 'a bit of talent', ma be a bit ambivalent, never much of a warrior = true.

Lycar

EDIT: Oh that reminds me... if Orin is thinking 'aloud' maybe Azakan recognizes Orin's voice? He is already suspicious and the 'I was there' comment should allow him to connect the dots...

Lycar
2008-05-16, 05:07 PM
Oh hey, it seems like we can postpone confession time a bit... seems like the others want to get out of the rain and the middle of the street first.

Suits Orin just fine.

But maybe Azakan already picked up what Orin thought about what he was going to say.

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-05-17, 07:34 AM
Okay, some IC stuff:

Azakan turns to Bren and Tharok. Right, what's going on here? Who are you really?

Lycar
2008-05-17, 09:46 AM
Orin looks at Azakan straight. For just a few seconds really but it could as well have been half on an eternity.

He closes his eyes, takes a deep breath and opens them again.

Then his right hand moves into his pant pocket, retrieves his sigent ring
and puts it on his left hand.

"You know who i am. Read my ring and do the math."

Orin waits for just a few moments, just long enough for Azakan to recognize the Stillwater family crest.

"You know, i should be mad at you. I really should. Your prophecy said that i was going to betray them all. And i did. I betrayed them all, those who would bring that accursed amulet to their vile masters, to better subjugate and enslave their poeple. I betrayed them all for you. For you, the one that i hoped would banish the hell that life had become under Gothul, the one that i hoped would make live worth living again."

Locking eyes with Azakan, Orin goes on "But you left me behind in that .. tunnel. Left me to die or suffer an even worse fate. Me and the others. Even in what i thought would be my last moments i cursed you, cursed you because you betrayed the trust, the hope that i had put into you. And then the chaos claimed us. Except we didn't die. We just reappeared 10 years later, cast adrift in both time and space. "

"You said you want to restore the empire, this time without Gothul. You say you don't want to be emperor. You say you don't want to bring back the rule of man. You say you want to use the imperial crown to bring back the rule of one man. What is it going to be, Azakan? Are you going to exchange one kind of tyranny for another? I am the wolf, Azakan, i am a noble! By circumstance of my birth alone i am priviledeg, bare any need to prove my worth by word, action or virtue. Bring back the empire and i shall prosper."

"But this is not what i want. Not anymore. I don't give a damn about the empire. Or nobility. Or my heritage. You said that my family is dead. Some bounty hunters tried to apprehend me to drag me back to Govan. To Goramesh with thrm all! I grew up in Goramesh! In a cage with golden bars, a cesspit of betrayal and depravity! I even betrayed the one man i could have called friend because my fa.. sire told me to! I didn't know any better back then but i do now."

"Azakan, nobody in his right mind wants Gothul back. Remember that gnome in the roadside inn? He wanted Gothul back, wanted to restore his power, his privileges, even if it would mean death and suffering to untold thousands. And you? You say you don't want Gothul back. Why? Because you want to rule yourself? Answer me this and only this, Azakan: What is life worth, anyone's life if it is not yours? I don't like the archmages, not one bit. But even *i* balk at having them subjugated by some piece of magical jewelry. Kill them if you must, i'll even help you, what little good my help it is. But i will not help you become another tyrant. If you seize this crown, do it to destroy it, to end it's malevolent presence, to end the threat it poses."

"Maybe you could use it to bring peace. But what peace would that be? The peace of hell, where obedince is enforced by violence, pure force."

"I had time to think a lot lately. I remember having read some books about philosophy. Something like: Justice not tempred by mercy is tyranny. Freedom not guided by law is anarchy."

"You never met Sumner's alter ego from the other world, the one who got killed by the devils here. But he had a few choice things to say about power in general and magic especially. It corrupts. You start out doing small bad things, reasoning that they are for a greater good. Then you do medium bad things for even greater good. And then you claim the crown that will force your will upon all, for peace."

"Ultimately it is your decision and your's alone. If you decide you want the power, go for it. You will have to fight the devil army for it though. Better get the sacrifices going to summon enough demons to counter them then."

"Or you just try to do it without all that magic stuff. Try to rally the people behind you. Unite all mankind in the struggle to oust the extraplanar ursurpers form our world, once and for all. Your choice and yours alone."

Orin pauses. It was a long speech and he didn't have the power, the conviction to make it sound compelling. It had been a long day. A very long day. Orin was tired, so very tired of hiding, of pretending to be not him, of dancing around and spinning tales, of using his gift for words to twist reality to his whim.

He just had been totally honest to Azakan. When was the last time he had told someone about his true feelings about anything? When he told Livina about his dream to make the world a better place for everyone? No wait, that doesn't count, he really meant that he wanted the world to be a better place for himself...

"Come now, let's go see my alter ego's corpse. Not many people get to see their own corpse after all, don't want to miss that. Lucky bastard even got to die a hero. Maybe i should use some coins to have a statue built for him..."

Orin turns to walk on to rejoin the rest of the group, hoping that Azakan would just remain quiet and let sink in what he just told him.

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-05-17, 10:17 AM
Azakan follows him towards Sumner. As they walk, he whispers You don't see what's going on at all. I've given you all the clues, yet you still ask me to make choices I don't have.
Seeing them walking towards them, Sumner rises, and Azakan goes silent.

Lycar
2008-05-17, 07:34 PM
Hrm. So Azakan keeps dropping hints about him having no free will to choose his fate. Too bad i can't really figure out what way that would work. Unless he is actually controlled by outside forces.

*sigh*

So Orin needs to get to lv 14 before things heat up too much. Bard lv. 12, Song of Freedom... maybe be it helps... probably not. But it is nice to think of this game going on long enough to get that far. :smallsmile:

Either way, just to ask: Is there a chance that Orin would happen to know an old story that deals with a similar theme and might offer some insight into the situation?

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-05-18, 06:32 AM
Bardic Knowledge check for that.

Lycar
2008-05-18, 12:44 PM
Okay then.

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-05-18, 05:53 PM
Nope, sorry.

Lycar
2008-05-19, 02:25 PM
Orin tries to appear not too impressed by the sight in front of him. But that requires some self-discipline i dare say.

Bluff check: [roll0]

(So that is how heroes end up. At least he dies young. Makes a pretty corpse. I wonder if they are going to commission a statue or a painting. Probably not. Look at all that gold and finery. Now that it doesn't do any good anymore. And still no trace of a temple. *sigh*)

Eventually Orin manages to tear his gaze away from 'his' corpse and can ponder some other things a bit.

(At least Azakan distracted the others a bit. I should be able to stay not-me for a bit longer maybe. Still, i can't for the life of me not figure out what the hell Azakan is trying to tell us. And what is going on with Sumner... is he really becoming a host for Gothul? This would be bad. Very bad. If i could get my hands on the guild library here, i could do some research. Hmm.... maybe i should keep my eyes open for someone i could impersonate...)

Bren looks around a bit, seemingly bored. He seems more interested in his surroundings and the people milling about then the dead 'hero'.

Lycar

Lycar
2008-05-20, 01:45 PM
Orin listens to what the mage has to tell.

(Wait what, a Bezikira? The same beast that attacked us on our way to Mokar? Coincidence? Maybe... maybe not...! Poor me. Other me. Would playing dead have saved you? Worked for me. But then, i am a coward. Well, not that much of a coward anymore i hope. But still.)

Bren mutters under his breath "That's why he's dressed tight as a sausage... so nobody sees the mess..."

EDIT: Oh something else. Gothul was a demon, right? And the killers were devils. Now Orins player happens to know that devils and demons don't exactly get along well. So it might be possible that the devils want to prevent the demon Gothul from coming back. And Davethra and its people get ground to dust between a chaotic evil rock and a lawful evil hard place.

But what does Orin know about devils/demons? Enough to figure something like that out? Or are they all the same for him, extraplanar interlopers who just make live miderable for everyone?

Lycar

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-05-20, 05:11 PM
Knowledge (The Planes). Or Bardic Knowledge if you don't have that.

Lycar
2008-05-20, 06:12 PM
Well, Orin can't know everything but he has a chance to! :smallbiggrin:

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-05-20, 07:48 PM
In Goramesh, Devils live in the cities, and are organised under different Devil-Kings. Demons live in tribal masses in the wastes, and are chaotic and disorganised. The Devil-Kings sometimes hire demons to attack their rivals with. They don't consider the demons to be clever or civilised enough to wage war on them. It's possible that the Devils wouldn't want demons to be summoned, but it would have less to do with any sort of ancient hatred, and more to do with the fact that it would simply make their job harder if they invaded or something.

Lycar
2008-05-21, 12:23 AM
Does the name 'Saigon Vul' ring any of Orin's bells?

Know. (Nobility): [roll0]

Know. (History]: [roll1]

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-05-21, 06:23 AM
Yes, he was once a mid-ranking cleric of Gothul in Zardis, at the Imperial Court. His job was carrying out sacrifices of political criminals.

Ozzy_G
2008-05-21, 12:26 PM
And with that revelation, that finally concludes the plot link-in with my epic-level game set in this campaign setting with characters such as Anarazel, Adornaxis and Bintarion. I actually finished that plot for them at the end of the last summer holidays. Wow, play-by-post really is slow compared to regular tabletop!
Now, you're free to whatever crazy whims I have...:smalltongue:

Lycar
2008-05-21, 04:19 PM
Hrmph, this situation could use a bard with a Glibness ready to cast. Unfortunately, it is still the same day Livina and the others died, so he's a bit low on 'arcane virility' right about now.

He would need some 'alone time' to find out if there are any temples and clerics around who could resurrect his 'friends'. He still wants to raise at the very least Rego Vel. Maybe the others too if funds permit.

Otherwise he could just go and blow the cash on something that wards off divinations. Being scryed upon is... unnerving.

Just a question, one of the Spymaster features is that Orin gets his spymaster lv, as a bonus on will saves vs. scrying and on the spot check to find the sensor. But how do you rule spotting the sensor? Do you actually have to go and cast Detect Magic to have a chance of finding it?

Besides, here is an environment where Orins old days as a scribe (and ranks in forgery) may pay off.

He should keep his eyes out to try and 'aquire' a few blank sheets of paper with the guilds letterhead maybe. Or even some signed and sealed orders. Just cast a humble Erase (just how selective do you rule one can delete the text on a piece of paper or scroll) and then forge himself one nifty little tool for whatever nefarious plot he can dream up. :smallbiggrin:

So, if this guy is a high ranking guild wizard, this may be just the place. So Bren will act bored and look for loose bits of interesting paper, m'kay? :smallconfused:

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-05-21, 07:39 PM
You can spot the sensor without detect magic.
Give me a sleight of hand for getting papers.

Lycar
2008-05-22, 04:53 AM
If this fails, he will just claim to be a too-curious barbarian...

Sleight of Hand: [roll0]

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-05-22, 08:18 PM
I know who you are and I know you would like to do more, and I will do my best to help.
When Kaleff says this, he looks at Orin, and Orin gets the impression that he's speaking just to him.

Lycar
2008-05-23, 06:42 PM
(Protector of the body and it's organs. The body being what, the empire? Just like my unfortunate alter ego, dutyful civil servant that he was. Protecting the body of the state by cutting off and out the parts infected with dissent. Ministry of peace indeed! So your god is big on order? Justice without mercy equals tyranny, freedom without law is anarchy, order without .. what was it... flexibility is stagnation? Something like that. Dead. Not rotting maybe but not growing either. Life is change, deny change and you deny life. Do you? Does your god? I'm not going to take that chance, not if i can help it!)

Okay, so Orin knows only very little about what is really going on. As the saying goes, a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Work with me please, i think Orin has a crazy plan that just might succed.

He believes that Sumner Kesh, while maybe a bit too lawful for his own good (and that of Orin and all other people incidentially) would not give the world into the hands of some demonic force.

However, Sumners plumous appearance and the repeated mention of the keyword 'host', combined with Azakan's warning about Sumner being posessed by Gothul, lead Orin to believe that some drastic actions need to be taken.

Later today, he will try to catch Kaleff alone and talk to him or, failing that, slip him a note with some basic instructions. Basically something about 'keep another Shatter spell or three handy' and 'if Sumner seems to have departed, do something about the reminder'.

So Orin hopes to get a good night of sleep to replenish his mental arsenal. Then he will try and slip off, making haste to locate a), Sumner's corpse. He figures it was around after the explosion, it still is, and b) Krasjnix's temple of Isana. It has to be reasonably close.

Then he will make sure to seize the corpse and transport it to the temple, ask the priests there if a) they are willing and able to raise Sumner and b) if Sumner's current 'incarnation' happens to host two souls and they resurrect his old body, will Sumner's and only Sumner's soul be called back?

If yes, he will ask the priests to wait with the actual resurrection to give Orin enough time to get back to Sumner. He then will use his bardic suggestion ability to imprint Sumner with a command to 'heed the call' (i.e., submit to the summoning when his soul is called back to his old body) and also be there to use his Hymn of Fortification ability to suppress any hold the parasite entity might have over Sumner's will.

Ideally, this should seperate Sumner from the other entity, which ought to remain in the clone body.

Which then needs to be dealt with but frankly, that is a problem Orin really only wants to think about when it actually does present itself.

At least he has the Hat of Disguise and his spy training. Maybe he can even pose as a Qusan wizard (maybe even Gareth Spellwright) to move around the city etc.

Oh and did he manage to palm anything useful?

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-05-23, 08:07 PM
Yes, Orin managed to pick up a couple of document signed by Saigon, with the Guild heading and everything.

Later today, he will try to catch Kaleff alone and talk to him or, failing that, slip him a note with some basic instructions. Basically something about 'keep another Shatter spell or three handy' and 'if Sumner seems to have departed, do something about the reminder'.

Is that a typo? Did you mean "remainder"?

Lycar
2008-05-23, 08:33 PM
Yes yes, remind him to take care of the remainder.

What can i say? English isn't my first language, it shows sometimes.

Soo... plan crazy enough to work? At least the priests of Isana should be midly amused. :smallbiggrin:

Lycar

Lycar
2008-05-25, 11:08 AM
Right, if Kaleff goes through all that trouble to distract the guy, i might as well make the most of it. See if there are any juicy bits of information to snatch here. I don't think the guy will keep a diary on his desk but if there is a chance to open a desk drawer unseen...

So, spot check to see if Orin spots anything of particular interest on the desk or in the open?

Spot: [roll0]

And if so, that is another Sleight of Hands check to grab, right?

Sleight of Hand: [roll1]

Now Orin looks if he could get his hands into the cooky jar desk drawers without being caught.

If not, well, maybe Kaleff can do something about it...

Orin will try and signal to Kaleff to examine the drawer, hoping the Zhan will know how to deal with locks better then him.

I believe, passing on a secret message unobstrusivly is a Bluff check?

Bluff: [roll2]

Hmm... that reminds me: Orin's Vest of Escape contains a magical lock pick that gives a +4 on Open Lock checks. If it is feasible, Orin might want to put it on the desk for Kaleff to use. But he'll only do it if he's reasonably sure that it will help Kaleff, otherwise he's quite loathe to let go of it. He may opt to take Livina's thieves tools from the backpack and put them on the ground near that desk instead, where Kaleff is going to find it should he go for the desk.

Now to distract the others so Kaleff can do his thing:

Bren had been watching and listening with little interest so far but now he gets up.

"We need to see about some things first here."

He walks up to the other side of the room to get everybodys attention and says:

"Azakan, i do not know about that ritual or that god of yours. But you promised we would seek out a priest to have them raised."

While talking, Bren put down his backpack and now opens it and retrieves the head of the young Qusan fom it.

Turning to Saigon, he continues:
"You say you are priest? Can you bring those people back to live? We got money. And treasure. If your god is one of health and life, he should do it, no? What better way to prove your god is wise and worthy. We need to get crown first anyway and we need to think of a plan to do that, so there is time."

"I know you have to prepare and all that, so you can't do it right now. But if you can do this, you will have Bren's help in whatever you are trying to do. Then Bren will trust you. But i wonder, are you willing to do it? Are you capable of it? You say your god is so great, yet you speak not his name. What are you hiding? Either way, if he brings those i promised to resurrect back to life, it will be prove enough for Bren."

Bran waits to listen for Saigon's answer.

####
If Kaleff needs more distraction...
####

..., then pulls out another head. It's a female but with oddly alien features. She too hase a gruesome head wound and her brain appears to be missing.

"You happen to know who she is?"

Using the captivating speech feature of Orin's Master manipulator feat here.

He can use his Diplomacy vs. up to 1 + CHA mod (5) people to use 'compelling delivery and witticisms' or whatever to distract them.

That would be Saigon, Azakan, Sumner, Khorik and Draven.

I hope Ismal is not going to raise an alarm if Kaleff goes through the guys papers and desk and Tharok hopefully knows to shut up too. Ideally he's not going to spot Kaleff doing stuff to begin with of course.

Targets save with their own Diplomacy or Will save vs. Orin's Diplomacy roll, or they suffer a -4 to Listen, Sense Motive and Spot while he keeps talking.

Diplomacy: [roll3]

The plan is to allow Kaleff to ransack the guys Desk or whatever he thinks needs filching while Orin helps out with a distraction.

I just hope he gets the hint(s). :smallsmile:

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-05-25, 05:44 PM
Orin pockets a couple more documents that have other people's signatures and so forth on. He manages to open a few of the desk drawers, revealing only writing implements, a bottle of wine, some herbs and assorted odd objects which look like the components for common spells, such as bat guano, a feather, a small coin, sand, and so on.
There is still one draw unlocked though.

Lycar
2008-05-25, 05:58 PM
Well, let us not take too much stuff. On the other hand, it might be possible that Saigon will be quite distracted for a while and not miss some paperwork.

Rego Vel, he knows Rego Vel. Now that should be interesting.

I suppose, listening to what Saigon has to say is still counting as being distracted, yes? :smallamused:

"You know that man? Well, then tell us about him, maybe his fate is linked to ours. Who is he? How do you know him? Do you know why we found him in the plains east of the bitter sea?"

He, i sure hope that Kaleff can open the locked drawer. Orin has a few ranks in Open Lock himself but even with the DEX bonus from the gloves he's not exactly a master thief. So let the Zhan do the fine work.

Also i think NobleSavage will be happy if his character gets to do something sneaky. :smallsmile:

Lycar

Lycar
2008-05-26, 03:26 PM
Hrm. Seems like the dragon lady made her Diplomacy save.

Fine. So let's grab some writing utensils. Can even cover Kaleff while doing so.

Bren loks at Ismal impassivly for a moment, then he shrugs and puts the head back into the backpack again. After that, he walks over to the desk and rummages around to find some empty paper and a pen or quill and inkwell or something, returning with it to Lady Ismal.

(Damn nobles.. think they can push around people just because of their fancy blood... oh shut up Bren, you're just jealous.)

Can Orin see if Kaleff had any success with the locked drawer? And if so, can he retrieve the tools or lockpick?

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-05-26, 03:33 PM
You never gave Kaleff the lockpick, since it wasn't needed.
When you go around there, you cannot see whether Kaleff opened the locked drawer, but he taps his coat nonchalently, and you can see a very slight bulge that might be a sheet, or sheets, of paper.

Ozzy_G
2008-05-26, 03:42 PM
I'd like a Sense Motive check please.

Lycar
2008-05-26, 04:44 PM
Haha, he did it. Takes a Zhan to do the real thievery.

Talk about racial profiling here. :smallbiggrin:

Sense Motive? Here we go... although it doesn't take much insight to realize that something is up. If i was to wager a guess, you want to use an impromptu teleport to start a new thread and get rid of all the ex-players which you have to NPC now... but that's just me. :smalltongue:

Also: Hrm. This is moving fast ahead. Are they sure they don't want to sleep a night about this? Orin feels a bit exhausted right now. :smallconfused:

Oh well.

Bren exchanges a look with Tharok, giving him a short nod.
"Of course we are coming. This is our destiny too after all. But you are in quite a hurry. Why so hasty all of a sudden? If you don't have a plan, let's sleep a night about it. Haste makes mistakes."

Soo... since Azakan & Co. are NPCs, can Orin use his natural grace and skill at Diplomacy to convince them to give it a nights rest maybe?

After all, all those aquired papers aren't going to do us any good outside the guild. And i *so* want to put those ranks in Forgery to good use... :smallsmile:

Lycar

Lycar
2008-05-28, 04:46 PM
Hm well. I was thinking... whips do allow disarms. People who are surprised don't get to make AoO, unless they have combat reflexes. Rare in casters.

Soo.... how about Orin keeps his hand on/near the hilt of his scourge and... just anticipates someone trying to do the vanishing act without taking him along?

Say, a ready action to disarm a crown if he feels 'left out' ?

He won't disrupt a teleport if he is confident that he would be taken along for the ride but... what can i say? He is pretty jaded about people being honest and such. :smallamused:

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-05-28, 04:52 PM
Okay. What are you going to do about your plan to resurrect Sumner, if you're all just going to be teleporting straight to this island?

Lycar
2008-05-28, 05:54 PM
It would seem that this plan is falling apart fast. :smallannoyed:

However, there are still 2 options:

Even if Saigon has prepared a teleport spell, it is'nt likely he has 2 or 3 of them.

So it might be possible for Orin to snatch the artifact, just as Saigon is casting the teleport spell. It would suffice to disarm the crown with the scourge, as it won't teleport with Saigon if he isn't holding it.

Even if he does have a second teleport spell, he can only return to the vault but not away again immediately.

If Orin gets his hands on the crown, then he is in a position to use his power of diplomacy and fast-talking to convince the guild wizards, that it would be in their best interest to thwart the plans of the ominous entity whatever way possible.

Even if he doesn't get the crown, he may convince the wizards that resurrecting Sumner, the host, into his original body would disrupt the plans for a new Davethran Empire, which i presume they would be in favour of.

But there is the fact that he didn't have a chance to ascertain that there is a way to have anyone resurrected that he could get access to and soon too.

According to the late Krashnix, there ought to be a temple of Isana near Halgarth but the Qusa seem to be very distrusting of priests. Maybe they razed the temple in the meantime, everything is possible.

If he does go along for the ride, then at least he is on the scene to directly interfere with the ritual. As much as he doesn't like putting his own life and well-being on the line, this might be his only chance.

Question to you: Do you rather have the party united at the new location or do you fancy having Orin continue to do his own thing? A lone spymaster, deep inside hostile territory, wrestling with his own inner demonds to change the fate of the world, for better or for worse... :smallamused:

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-05-29, 06:31 AM
Question to you: Do you rather have the party united at the new location or do you fancy having Orin continue to do his own thing? A lone spymaster, deep inside hostile territory, wrestling with his own inner demonds to change the fate of the world, for better or for worse...
Well, that's up to you. You'll have to decide which you want to try. Remember that when you are preparing to teleport, you'll all have to hold hands, which is problematic for using the whip.

Lycar
2008-05-29, 01:16 PM
Well, there are several things to consider:

a) Does the Teleport spell, to Orin' knowledge, have a somatic component?
(It doesn't but does Orin know? Spellcraft: [roll0])

If so the Saigon must have a free hand to cast and there will be no circle, but rather a line of people. If Orin is not the last link in the chain, him letting go of someone's hand will mean that either he and the people in the line after him, or only the people in the line after him get left behind.

Orin might want to choose his place in the line accordingly.

b) The spell only requires physical contact between people, not actual hand-holding.

Also, if he 'holds hands' by grabbing the wrists of his neighbours, that is, he is holding them but not the other way around, he could break contact simply by letting go. So Siagon starts casting, Orin tries to whip the crown and, depending on success or failure of the disarm attempt, tries to grab someone to get contact back or tries to resist the teleport if he gets grabbed.

Of course this is all VERY risky and Orin isn't much of a gambler. Especially not when his life is on the line...

Or he could just come along quietly... either because he thins this is best or because he just doesn't quite dare to try anything... :smallannoyed:

But things are happening so fast that Orin will probably not manage to make up his mind to try anything stupid before they are already on the island.

Comments?

Lycar

Also: Are you still playing in Maryring's game ?

Ozzy_G
2008-05-29, 01:57 PM
Yes, you do know it has no somatic component.

I am still playing Maryring's game. I'm waiting for the spirits to show us where to go.

Lycar
2008-05-29, 03:20 PM
Maybe Maryring waits for you and Skenardo to post something like
'Karl looks at the fey expectantly, waiting for it to show the way.' ? :smallconfused:

Hrm, so Orin knows that Saigon does not need a free hand to cast Teleport.

I suppose he will keep his eyes open but it seems he is going to come along quietly.

Bren joins the circle by taking hold of the wrists of his neighbours in the circle.

Lycar

EDIT: wait, we still have a bit of time, yes? Could Orin use some paper and writing utensils he filched earlier to write a quick note on a slip on paer and drop it, so that the guild mages find it if they investigate ? If so it should read:
Crown for ritual to raise Gothul. To thwart: man killed at Bronze Cauldron w. sunburst tattoo, resurrect him ASAP!

If someone asks, he's standing watch for guild wizards showing up.

Ozzy_G
2008-05-29, 06:23 PM
Yep, that's fine.
Anyhow, this is your very last chance to do something before the teleport.

Lycar
2008-05-30, 06:43 AM
Quite frankly, i don't dare do anything. Disarm an Oathsworn? A born warrior? I don't believe that Orin can pull it off. It would be awesome if Orin could pull it off but it would also be a desperate action at best. :smallannoyed:

Did he manage to leave behind the message for the mages? That way he might at least try and interfere if the resurrection spell gets cast and whatever posesses Sumner tries to stop his soul from going home.

If you are hoping for a big surprise for the others, when they try to perform the ritual and it gows awry because of that damn bard interfering... well, i would play along.

But right now i don't even know if having Sumner resurrected would mess up the ritual or if there even IS a way to have him raised within the next.. oh.. 48 hours at most i guess. :smallsigh:

Sure. We could go ahead and let Orin try to do something stupidly heroic. But what is he supposed to do if he fails snatching the crown away from Sumner? Are the guild wizards even going to listen to him?

Besides, wouldn't you rather have the whole party in one place for a change? I mean, i truly appreciate that you went through all the trouble to basically run a solo game for me all the last weeks but do you want to keep doing that? If so, i won't mind playing along.

*sigh* But then again Azakan did plead with Orin to help him avoid his fate. I just don't know if Orin has any chance at all to do this if he misses that teleport. :smalleek:

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-05-30, 07:00 AM
Did he manage to leave behind the message for the mages?

Yes, Orin did.

Lycar
2008-05-30, 12:22 PM
Well, that settles it. We have teleport.

Okay now, at least it is far in the east and thus going dark soon. That means, not too much longer until we get to sleep.

Very well, Orin will stick close to Azakan for the time being. I assume, so will Tharok.

Now it's just tagging along, biding one's time until we come to a crucial junction where Orin can make a difference.

But then again, he is doing his job as an infiltrator.

At least that way Orin can still ask Azakan about what happened to his family. Also he wants a few quiet minutes to check the documents he pilfered. And those Kaleff took too of course.

Lycar

Lycar
2008-05-30, 01:39 PM
When you don't know where you are, one way is as good as the other.

"Right" says Bren "You ask where to go, i say right."

And did Orin just happen to have heard/read about that island that Saigon mentioned? Just north of Kadoth? Maybe the white cliffs offer a clue?

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-05-30, 07:13 PM
Sorry, I made a mistake. You are west of where you were before, so the sun should be higher in the sky, not lower.
I should have put more ranks in Knowledge Geography.

As to your knowledge geography, you know that there are a few islands north of Khadoth. That's all you could say.

Lycar
2008-05-31, 08:46 AM
What's with the hurry all of a sudden? Need to clear the cliffs before the tide comes in? :smallconfused:

At any rate, Orin will run too. Good thing that he's wearing light armour while appearing to wear medium armour. So he is just as fast as a barbarian wearing medium armour is supposed to be. :smalltongue:

Also, this is your own world! How could you possibly not have epic levels of Know: Geography regarding it? :smallbiggrin:

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-05-31, 08:59 AM
Damn time zones... I should have just written a flat world. Then I wouldn't have had to do time zones...

Lycar
2008-05-31, 01:54 PM
Uh-oh. It's the tide comign in, isn't it? Isn't it? :smalleek:

Well, here Orin hopes the others will lend a hand or two to help him up that cliff or he is screwed with his 0 skill in climb.

Unless he can make like Indiana Jones and use his scourge as an impromptu climbing aid. :smallconfused:

Lycar

Lycar
2008-05-31, 05:36 PM
So Tharok has the boots? Fine, Orin nods to Tharok to go ahead and use the boots to climb the cliff, awaiting his turn down on the beach.

Lycar

Lycar
2008-06-01, 01:17 PM
Hmm... what to do, what to do...

Bren takes time to get out of the magical boots and put on his original pair again. While he is bent over, he quietly replies to Kaleff.

"Keep them from killing each other off would be a start... you wouldn't happen to have another Shatter spell ready? Can you make yourself invisible? If i distract them, do you think you could get your hands on the crown? Or maybe i should try and use the scourge to whip the accursed crown out of Sumners hand. But then someone has to react and snatch it."

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-06-01, 05:52 PM
Can you give me initiative please. Hopefully it won't be necessary, but just in case.

Lycar
2008-06-02, 12:29 AM
Yes, let us hope it doesn't become neccessary.

Init: [roll0]

Bren answers Kaleff in his low voice again. "Sorry, no illusion magic from me. There is little magic left, it was a looong day. I would rather stick with Azakan though. I would not want Gothul to return and when i look at Sumner and add the fact that you were in Goramesh..."

Lycar

Lycar
2008-06-02, 02:50 PM
So when Ismal opened her comm channels to Orin too, does he get to hear what Sumner's thoughts about the subject are ?

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-06-02, 07:18 PM
No. Ismal didn't pass it on, and you're not reading their minds now.

Lycar
2008-06-03, 12:34 AM
Just wondering about post #422. :smallconfused:

Anyway...

Bren takes a moment to answer Kaleff "Azakan doesn't want to be emperor of the empire we are about to create. He didn't mind becoming emporer by using the time amulet to shift troops from over there. Makes one think. Oh and he believes that Sumner is actually host to Gothul..."

Orin keeps watching the exchange between the dragon lady and the wizards. But he pays special attention to Sumner.

(Hrm. How to figure out if it's true though...)

So Ozzy... need a bit of help here. About Orin's master manipulator feat again. How about Orin just asks 'Sumner' if he happens to be host or is either Gothul or some other outworldly entity.

If he lies and Orin calls the lie (via successful Sense Motive), then Orin is supposed to be able to trick him into revealing the lie and the reason behind it. As far as the feat description goes this takes another minute or so of conversation and a Diplomacy roll by Orin resisted by Sumner's (or whatever's) Bluff.

Of course some DMs don't like RP o be influenced by mechanics like this. :smallconfused:

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-06-03, 07:05 AM
With post 422, you got what Ismal said to you, but not anything after that.

I'm fine with the Master Manipulator thing... but you have to get him to talk to you for a minute.

Lycar
2008-06-03, 12:35 PM
I'm fine with the Master Manipulator thing... but you have to get him to talk to you for a minute.

Yes, that's the hard part, isn't it? :smallamused:

Very well, let me see if i can channel enough of Orin to get something workable. Nothing like jumping to conclusions.

Bren smirks back at Kaleff "Because we are not suicidal? But heh, if there is one thing i know to do. Watch Sumner closely..."

Walking up to Sumner and the others, Bren speaks up: "Speaking of which... there is still the secret of what caused a noble oathsworn of house Kesh to turn mighty green around the gills and sprout feathers."

Folding his hands behind his back, Bren looks Sumner over, like some interesting specimen of bug. His demeanor certainly does not fit to a cannibalistic barbarian.

"So then. How did you plan your comeback, hmm? Convince poor Sumner that you are really not the same entity which held its fould admantine grip over most of this continent for more then a millenium? Promise him order and stability did you. Well, one must admit, you certainly would have delivered on that one, now wouldn't you."

"Too bad for you that some know enough to listen to what you were not saying you extraplanar interloper! That's just your kind, boastful and proud when lording it over those too weak to offer resistance but as soon as you face real problems, you just revert to tricking, swindling and cajoling your way out of Goramesh, you worm."

Bren stops a moment to look around apologetically "No offense intended towards any worms, sorry."

Turning back to Sumner, he continues "You know, i don't really hold it agianst you, personally. I mean, you even aren't a person to begin with. Just some pathetic malevolent entity that can only ever dream of escaping into our world, where even something as utterly insignificant as you can feel like something."

"Really now. Did you really think we would not catch on to your little tricks? I'd give you the benefit of doubt and say, you were just hopeful. But knowing you, i'll have to say, yes, you really were stupid enough to believe you could get away with it."

"But what i'm really mad about is that you are using an honest and upright man like Sumner Kesh, who only ever meant to do the right thing, because it's the right thing to do, dammit, to bring back your own twisted, malevolent and, in a paradoxical way even comical version of 'order'."

"Explain yourself you utter twit of a fiend! How did you think that we would not figure you out? Huh? Huh? Come on, explain yourself! Can you even answer that, Gothul?"

Yes, he's talking in his real voice now. Nothing better to attract attention. :smallamused:

I'll leave dropping the illusion for later. Also totally going to distract Sumner, Saigon and the 3 most senior wizards with Orin's Captivating Speech ability.

Roll will or Diplomacy vs. Orin's Diplomacy: [roll0]
or suffer -4 to Listen,Spot and Sense Motive as long as Orin keeps talking.

And yes, Orin is totally trying to coax whatever is posessing Sumner to break out into a rant. And to make him say 'I'm not Gothul!', so he can roll Sense Motive against that. Of course, if that one fails, the whole stunt falls down. Oh well, at least that is the kind of chance Orin is willing to take. :smalltongue:

I have no idea if Orin should roll for anything. Bluff ? :smallconfused:

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-06-03, 06:34 PM
Ooh, you almost got to the revelations... though you did get to say that the possessing spirit had controlled the land for over a millenia, which is a big clue.

Bren's action is next, what do you want to do?

Lycar
2008-06-04, 01:09 AM
Well, with all the spells going off left and right, Orin will stick to his i-am-a-tough-barbarian-hit-me-with-reflex-or-will-saves disguise a bit longer.

Seeing that Sumner is attacking the priests, Orin takes a step back and draws his scourge while yelling to Tharok.

"Tharok no! Kill the demon priests! The ones in the black robes!"

(Well well, time to see what that whip does.)

Orin lashes out at the head priest with the whip, trying to entangle his legs and make him fall. Since he has no Impr. Trip, he would provoke an AoO, but the whip has reach, so the priest can't retaliate.

Touch attack: [roll0], Trip check: [roll1]

Once the priests are neutralized, Orin will try to talk the Qusan wizards out of killing them. But first things first...

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-06-04, 07:55 AM
Reflex save for Orin please, DC 21. If he fails, he takes 24 electric damage. If he saves, he takes 12.

Lycar
2008-06-04, 12:33 PM
Aren't we glad now that Spymaster gets a good reflex save too... :smalleek:

Reflex Save: [roll0]

Bren yells as the lightning courses through his body, party out of pain, partly out of surprise and partly even cursing his metal armour betraying him such.

"Aaargh! Not us, them!"

Hrm. That leaves the question: Cure or Invisibility, what to cast now...

Better wait until Orin's turn comes round again.

But i strongly favour going invisible and leaving the last known position. :smalleek:

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-06-04, 09:02 PM
Bren's go again.

Lycar
2008-06-05, 12:28 AM
This could end ugly... :smallconfused:

So Ismal is trying to bluff Saigon here. Let's hope that Orin catches on.

Either way, with him not able to do much good right now, Orin decides to bow out of this fight for now.

Next turn: Cast cure.

Bren looks like he isn't really sure about what to do next for a moment, then he raises his left hand and gestures while intoning some arcane syllabies. Whereupon he promptly vanishes from sight.

As a move action, Orin just goes someplace else. WHips have quite a bit of reach after all.

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-06-05, 11:21 AM
It's Bren's go again.
The situation currently is as follows:
Khorik and Tharok, as well as four Qusans and two of the black-robed Davethrans, lie dead on the ground.
Sumner seems to be obeying the orders of the gaunt wizard, who has just told him to kill Draven.
There is one wizard and one priest black-robed Davethran left.
Kaleff and Azakan have both vanished.
Saigon just got eaten by Ismal, who's polymorphed into a Remorhaz.

Lycar
2008-06-05, 11:49 AM
(... what in Goramesh!? She actually ate him !??! Well... isn't it said the Pennefar family has some dragon blood... seems appropriate. In an odd way.)

(What to do, what to do? I should probably do something about that priest. But if he so much as casts a single spell at me i'm as good as dead.)

Orin feels the familiar dread of being hurt creep up his spine.

(No! No more fear! And even if he kills me, i at least died fighting, not cowering!)

"No more fear!" yells Bren as he charges the priest, tackling him and doing his best to pin his arms and prevent him from casting anything. He has to drop the scourge to get his hand free though.

##

I just hope the guy doesn't get an AoO since Orin becomes visible only after the attack, right?

Touch attack: [roll0], Grapple check: [roll1]

And to speed up things, here the opposed roll for the priest's turn (if applicable): Grapple check: [roll2]

Lycar

Lycar
2008-06-05, 05:47 PM
Hrm.. let's see if Orin happens to know this spell. I guess some sort of teleport but...

Spellcraft: [roll0]

So this is the day the NPCs (and a PC) died, eh. :smallamused:

Orin is just fortunate to be still alive. :smalleek:

Anyway...

Bren lets go of the bloody corpse he is now holding. He looks around a bit and realizes that the battle is over. At least for now.

Rasing a shaking hand, he wipes his forehead, either to remove some blood or sweat, or maybe just to reaffirm that he is, indedd, still alive.

"... so much death... poor Tharok... "

Taking a step back, he sits down on the ground with a heavy thud. At least now he can rest his backpack and its's heavy and grisly contents on the ground. Looking between Sumner and Draven, Bren speaks up:

"To think that we entered the tomb of the dwarven king to raise the funds to have you resurrected... and then you just walk out of Goramesh. Kizima didn't walk out of the tomb and Livina didn't walk away from the encounter with the Illithid. So much death..."

Orin needs to talk to Sumner but first he has to deal with his post combat shakes. He may have gotten better at that courage thing but the constant reminders about his own mortality still get at him.

Lycar

Lycar
2008-06-06, 07:10 AM
Uhm.. did you notice my last post? :smallconfused:

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-06-06, 07:45 AM
You're not sure what the spell was. Could have been teleport, could have been invisibility, could have been something else.

Also, level up.

Lycar
2008-06-06, 08:45 AM
Level up? Yay! :smallbiggrin:

Let's see... as far as i can tell, Orin needs 2400 XP to get to lv. 10. So, how much for 2 groups of spellcasters? :smalltongue:

As for levelling, i think Orin should go with Bard again. Increases Inspire Courage to +2.

Orin can now swap out one of his 1st lv. spells for somehting different. I am considering to exchange Erase for something else. Maybe Remove Fear, it would fit pretty well. Also i keep hearing a bout a spell called Inspiration, apparently from the Spell Compendium. Swift action and improves Inspire Courage by +1 if cast in conjunction with triggering a bardic music effect.

Suggestions?

Oh and he gets another 3rd lv. spell... what to take, what to take?

- Cure Serious Wounds: If there are no clerics, make yourself useful and beloved by all other party members.

- Dispel Magic: Nothing like a blanket debuff to throuw at your enemies, even though you have to roll for results. But then again, some GMs don't like that and maybe it is best to leave that to a full caster. :smallconfused:

- Gaseous Form: The ultimate in infiltration magic. Well, beside all the teleport spells. Disadvantage: You can't run away as fast as you'd like to and you still get hurt by magic weapons. Or hard enough hits.

- Haste: All around combat buff. But Orin isn't really supposed to be much of a warrior. Although bards are supposed to help out the party and Haste sure is worth a lot, especially the more people there are to haste.

- Invisibility Sphere: It's nice that you can make yourseöf unseen but what about the non-magical party members? They sure would love to get some of this i-can't-be-seen for themselves.

- Leomond's Tiny Hut: Well, isn't nice to always have a roof above your head? It is just cool. Doesn't really fit for Orin i think though.

- Scrying: Well, isn't it fun to look at people from afar?

- See Invisibility: Since every magic user and their cat can turn invisible, being able to still see them is neat. So you can safely call out invisible targets for your party.

- Speak With Animals: Well.... do Diplomacy and Bluff work on critters? :smallsmile: It would go with Orin's 'Peace through Verbosity' theme...

PHII:

- Alter Fortune: Orin yells: 'That's not how it happened!' and he bluffs reality into changing history, one die roll at a time. Fun. :smallbiggrin:

- Sonic Shield: Okay so Orin tries to be a bit less of a coward and may end up actually joining a fight. And there is a chance to push back someone who just struck you... if one plays one's cards right... sure, it's a fortitude save against the knockback but imagine Orin facing some caster type who just happens to stand right at the edge of the gorge/lava pit/summoning circle .... very situational but... imagine him triggering an AoO by running around said caster. He can't resist to take the cheap shot and...

Personally i am considering Dispell Magic and Sonic Shield, with Alter Fortune a close third. Any suggestions?

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-06-06, 08:54 AM
Oh no, I'll let you decide.
I have all those books incidentally, so it's no problem.

The 1st level spell you're thinking of is Inspirational Boost. It's a swift action, and increases the bonus of your inspire courage by 1 for the duration of the effect.

Lycar
2008-06-06, 05:46 PM
The 1st level spell you're thinking of is Inspirational Boost. It's a swift action, and increases the bonus of your inspire courage by 1 for the duration of the effect.

Okay, can you give me the full stats then?

Also i think i need to think a bit to choose between Alter Fate and Dispell Magic. Oh yes, that reminds me: Just how many XP did we just make? Alter Fate has an XP cost too you know...

What else is new... BAB goes up, so does reflex and will save.

HP go up by 4.

Get 1 rank each in Disguise, Know. History, Know Arcana, Listen, Spot, Slight of Hand, Sense Motive and get 2 ranks in Bluff.

And finally...

Bren looks up at Ismal, a weary smile on his face.
"Lady Ismal Pennefar... they say your family has dragon blood in their veins..."

Slipping off the straps of his backpack, Bren gets up.

"... you certainly have the appearance. Regal, determined and charming. Ah, but where are my manners.. allow me to introduce myself."

Bren courtesies and grabs at his helmet, as if to pull it off with a flourish along with the bow. Which he does. Suddenly, his image flickers for but a moment and in the place of a Dar Ven in scale armour, you find yourself face to face with someone who looks almost exactly like the man you saw in the wizard's guild under a glass case:

Orin Stillwater.

He is indeed holding a hat, not a helmet. It's is a fancy hat but the blood stains kinda ruin the effect.

"Sorry for the deception, it is a long story... oh and Lady Pennefar, you really should heed the advice of your fiance and not swallow people whole anymore. It so not lady-like."

Orin puts the hat on again for now. You can see that he is actually wearing a travellers outfit. And his shield seems to have lost it's black paint job, only to reveal a phoenix motiv underneath.

"I would agree that we should give proper rites to all the dead. Even the priests. They may have been misguided in life or maybe they really were irredeemable demon worshippers. But either way, to deny them a proper burial would just mean to perpetuate the hate they meant to spread in Gothul's name. I hope we are better people then that."

Orin goes and retrieves the scourge.

"Also we really should rest. It was a long day. Feels like 5 actually. Long story, long story.... Oh and master Nefud? We really ought to see what we can make out of the documents we appropriated form the late Saigon."

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-06-06, 06:16 PM
Okay, can you give me the full stats then?

Well, that's basically it. It has Verbal and Somatic components, it's a level 1 Bard spell, it's a swift action to cast, and increases the bonus from Inspire Courage by 1 for the duration of Inspire Courage.

Also i think i need to think a bit to choose between Alter Fate and Dispell Magic. Oh yes, that reminds me: Just how many XP did we just make? Alter Fate has an XP cost too you know...

Just had a look at it...
I don't often say this, but I'd prefer to ask you to take Dispel Magic. Alter Fate's just too problematic.

Since you're no longer disguised, do you have any objection to posting yourself, and for the other players to post OOC on this thread? I'll ask them not to look at previous pages.

Lycar
2008-06-06, 06:50 PM
Heh okay. Dispell Magic it is then. Yay for debuffing. :smallwink:

And yes, as much fun it was to run parallel to the others, now that the group is reunited again, we really should not need to have Orin post via GM-Mail. :smallwink:

Oh yes and just how much XP did we get actually? You said that it was enough to level but never stated the exact amount?

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-06-07, 08:16 AM
You got whatever XP it took to level up, exactly.

The Great Skenardo
2008-06-07, 09:24 AM
Hmm. Sense Motive, I guess, on internal Monologues.
[roll0]

Toliudar
2008-06-07, 09:47 AM
Lycar, I'm posting you full text on Inspirational boost, in case you need it.

Ozzy_G
2008-06-07, 10:51 AM
Dun, dun, dun!
Some big revelations there.
Or are they lies?
You'll have to decide for yourself!
Or make sense motives if you really want.

The Great Skenardo
2008-06-07, 10:57 AM
This seems a little redundant, but the way things have been going it's a sad necessity. :smalltongue:
[roll0]

NobleSavage
2008-06-07, 11:22 AM
You got whatever XP it took to level up, exactly.

Kaleff needed 1300 for level ten. What should I set his to? Level 11 would net us all teleport...

And seriously? No spellbooks? Awww...

Toliudar
2008-06-07, 11:44 AM
Well, you might be getting the two new spells for leveling up.

The Great Skenardo
2008-06-07, 01:00 PM
Oh, and as far as the healing went, it was 13 if you wanted to just address the acid burns, and 34 if you wanted to completely heal Sumner.

Lycar
2008-06-07, 03:03 PM
Hello and welcome back everybody. :smallbiggrin:

Oh don't worry, Orin doesn't believe people as a matter of habit. Especially not some extraplanar entities who are kinda dependent on you doing their work for them. Good luck convincing him otherwise...

And if there is some free healing to be had, Orin also got electrocuted for 24 .. so.... any healing love for the bard, anyone? :smallsmile:

Lycar

knewsom
2008-06-07, 03:48 PM
Yay, we're all together now! (click the link) (http://www.visioncollective.com/DnD/03%20-%20All%20Together%20Now.mp3)

Ok, so everyone who needs healing post how much damage they have, and I'll post how much I can heal you. I only have 60 to go around, but I imagine that between tonight and tomorrow, everyone can be healed up to full.

Lycar
2008-06-07, 04:36 PM
Orin misses 24 HP, if we assume a night of sleep brings back 10 then 14 points of healing would be nice.

Also: Too bad that neither Kaleff or Ismal showed any emotional response at being responsible for wiping out a happy, loving family... see post #497.

Oh well, i suppose you have to kill off a few people to make an empire. Shall we sum them up under 'collateral damage' ? :smallfrown:

Lycar

knewsom
2008-06-07, 04:48 PM
'k, once this mini confrontation here ends, Draven will heal the rest of us. Ismal is full, Draven is missing 24 HP, Sumner was down 34 and Draven has healed 15 of his already, and I'm not sure about Kaleff, whether he's full or not. I'm fairly certain that healing 14 HP on Orin won't be a problem, provided Sumner doesn't freak out and try to kill me first. :smallbiggrin:

The Great Skenardo
2008-06-07, 04:50 PM
Orin misses 24 HP, if we assume a night of sleep brings back 10 then 14 points of healing would be nice.

Also: Too bad that neither Kaleff or Ismal showed any emotional response at being responsible for wiping out a happy, loving family... see post #497.

Oh well, i suppose you have to kill off a few people to make an empire. Shall we sum them up under 'collateral damage' ? :smallfrown:

Lycar

I don't know if you've noticed, but Sumner is not particularly broken up about killing people, when he thinks he has to. The orphan is unfortunate fallout, and we'll see how the resolution of that goes.

EDIT: as far as the flipping out and killing goes, I doubt Sumner could kill all of you all by himself, and that's what it would amount to, really. But is he fanatic enough to try? :smallwink: Love this game.

knewsom
2008-06-07, 04:54 PM
Draven hasn't actually even SEEN the amulet yet, he's been a bit busy, but he's bound to be broken up a bit by it, but mostly mad at his parents for doing anything so foolish and dangerous when they have a child to care for.

NobleSavage
2008-06-07, 04:56 PM
Yuh, that 24 points of elect is nasty for a caster to soak, left me at 9. 9. Don't forget Draven's fast healing, everybody, get you to half then calc what you need.

@Toli: The way Ozzy's been running it, there has to be plausible research, or time for such, to net those spells, and I was pretty sure said spellbooks would supply said plausibility. Been running around with 4th level spell slots to burn, but no spells known. Went up 3, maybe four depending on the xp doled out here, levels since going to hell and subsequently losing Kaleff's spellbook, and have only the spells provided by the demon/devils, not surprisingly lacking any potent offense.

knewsom
2008-06-07, 05:01 PM
3 or 4 times!??!? I've only leveled twice this WHOLE GAME.

So Kaleff nees 17 to get back to max, right? How many will he heal in a night?

EDIT: @ TGS, I dunno, but I'm itchin' to find out! Though, with Sumner having a sword named "Eater of Men", I'm not exactly excited to fight him.

Toliudar
2008-06-07, 05:05 PM

Lycar

Hey, the only one I killed was that evasive bastard Saigon. And when you're also killed in the same fight, your whole perspective shifts. :smallbiggrin:

knewsom
2008-06-07, 05:36 PM
Wow, a charlton heston reference AND a reference to another game, all in the same post. I'm on FIRE today.

NobleSavage
2008-06-07, 05:50 PM

Lycar

Kaleff actually had no part of it. In the two or three rounds of battle he waited to see who was actually bad, cast a non-combat spell, chased after Az, then ran back. He, also, isn't so concerned about death, as you get whats coming to you then. Its great worshiping the one who controls that. Also, anyone else think the baby's death might have caused them to go evil? That or the kid's meant to be a BBEG?

Edit: Oh, and did we get any lewt from Saigon?

knewsom
2008-06-07, 05:59 PM
That or the kid's meant to be a BBEG?

Let's just hope their last name isn't "Montoya".

Toliudar
2008-06-07, 05:59 PM
Um. Should Ismal take that as Kaleff declining to say anything about Khorik?

NobleSavage
2008-06-07, 06:11 PM
Let's just hope their last name isn't "Montoya".

You really are on fire, aren't you?

And on that Charlton Heston note (http://www.theonion.com/content/from_print/charlton_hestons_gun_taken)

Edited a bit in, T, my posts take a bit as I tend to wander AFK in the middle of them.

Ozzy_G
2008-06-07, 06:34 PM
3 or 4 times!??!? I've only leveled twice this WHOLE GAME.

Kaleff and Sumner have been going since the start of the whole thing, which like a year and a half ago, or maybe more.

Kaleff just goes up the 1 level, but I'll bear it in mind that he was so close.

You didn't get anything from Saigon.

I did laugh at your Forgotten Key reference, Knewsom.

knewsom
2008-06-07, 06:51 PM
exactly, how could they have leveled up 3 or 4 times since we got out of hell if I've only leveled two times total? Doesn't make any sense unless they were right on the verge of leveling when we died.

Ozzy_G
2008-06-07, 06:57 PM
I do enjoy these conversations between the characters. I wish one of my NPCs was there to talk with you. :smallfrown:
But you just had to go and kill them all, didn't you. Tut, tut.

knewsom
2008-06-07, 07:08 PM
hey, it's not OUR fault Azakan ran away and Saigon was evil... and besides, YOU killed Khorik and Tharok, remember...? ;)

NobleSavage
2008-06-07, 07:08 PM
exactly, how could they have leveled up 3 or 4 times since we got out of hell if I've only leveled two times total? Doesn't make any sense unless they were right on the verge of leveling when we died.

No, I missed a leveling up somewhere, my PHB got lost in one of my recent moves.

Kaleff just goes up the 1 level, but I'll bear it in mind that he was so close.

Aww that stinks. Knew I should have killed off those guards.

Ozzy_G
2008-06-07, 07:12 PM
YOU killed Khorik and Tharok, remember...?
Hey, if you'd all just attacked the Qusans then you wouldn't have split your attacks, and they would have died quicker, and the Davethran guys wouldn't have attacked you at all. You can't blame me for this.

So, what level is everyone now?

Lycar
2008-06-07, 07:21 PM
Yuh, that 24 points of elect is nasty for a caster to soak, left me at 9. 9. Don't forget Draven's fast healing, everybody, get you to half then calc what you need.

Uhm.. what fast healing? Oh wait, Draven is a Dragon Shaman, right? These guys get a healing aura or something, but only up to 1/2 hits.

Hmm okay, so Orin has 38 full, 14 now. Draven can heal up to 19 with his aura, then 10 for a night of sleep leaves 9 to be healed by Draven's healing hands... if he feels so inclined.

Also Ozzy, it would appear to me that you are not entirely sad about getting rid of the ex-PCs that way. Kizima, Lucidae... Tharok and Khorik... the list grows...

Also, Orin reached lv. 10 now. Or technically, he will have reached lv. 10 after a good night of sleep. Yay for 4 more HP, he was down to 10 after that shocking experience himself, mind you. He just ain't no melee bard. :smallbiggrin:

Lycar

knewsom
2008-06-07, 07:25 PM
Draven and Ismal are now level 10

The Great Skenardo
2008-06-07, 08:35 PM
Sumner is at Level 11, although what specific blend of class/prestige class remains to be revealed :smallamused:
EDIT: Interesting. Sumner started at level 6, I believe. Although to be fair, he's died at least twice since the beginning.
I likewise chuckled at the reference, Knewsom :smallwink:

NobleSavage
2008-06-07, 09:18 PM
10 for Kaleff.

Twice for Sumner? Kaleff was killed once and sent to hell once, though he doesn't really consider that dying as there was no Imshaeroth there.

Also, how y'all want to divvy up the stuff? Kaleff has all the mobility stuff he needs.

Toliudar
2008-06-08, 12:29 AM
With the exception of the bat-cloak, Ismal could make use of any of the stuff, but also has mobility options via polymorph that make her a less good candidate for any of the mobility-related items.

She does, however, have a recent vacancy opened up in the amulet slot...:smallwink: And if no one else wants the nasty-looking-but-not-magical dagger, she would certainly take it.

knewsom
2008-06-08, 12:40 AM
Hmm. Not sure if I could really make much use of a cloak of the bat, but boots of speed would be pretty keen for Draven as he's kinda slow in all that armor. As for the other objects, I'm really not sure what any of them are.

Daven's open slots are: cloak, boots, an amulet, a ring on either finger, a belt, an ioun stone, a helmet, heh, pretty much everything except bracers/gauntlets.

The Great Skenardo
2008-06-08, 12:42 AM
You might want to hold off on divvying up the stuff for a bit; Sumner's becoming increasingly of the opinion that it was a mistake to attack and kill pretty much everyone that wasn't us.

knewsom
2008-06-08, 03:43 AM
I'll definitely agree that killing the Qusans was a mistake... But those priests and Saigon gave me the willies.

Lycar
2008-06-08, 04:06 AM
I might also point out that Tharok was wearing a slightly singed vest and an Amber Amulet, which Livina had been wearing. But i believe that those items belonged to someone else.

So if one of you used to have a magic vest, singed or unsinged, that probably is the one.

Also, as a not-melee bard, Orin really doesn't get much out of that heavy steel shield he is lugging around. But a cloak that lets people flee battles with a fly speed, well that is just his thing. :smallbiggrin:

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-06-08, 06:25 AM
Interesting. Sumner started at level 6, I believe.
I can't remember, but that's probably correct. I often start games at level 6, as it's the beginning of mid-levels, when you're powerful enough to take some punishment and have plenty of options, but also not powerful enough that things are too easy/random.
Also, with the way saves and feats work, it works out well.

Also Ozzy, it would appear to me that you are not entirely sad about getting rid of the ex-PCs that way. Kizima, Lucidae... Tharok and Khorik... the list grows...
Which way? They've died all sorts of ways. Also, they weren't all ex-PCs.
Let's see:
Karzash, Ruchion and Kaleff were killed by a tentacle monster
Dylan was taken over by something or other, and stabbed up by Sumner
Ruchion was killed a second time by another tentacle monster falling on him
Cofaos was killed by a dragon
Gareth got killed by the exploding pub... perhaps (his body was never found)
Sumner, Draven, Ismal, Khorik, Kaleff and Hern were also killed by the exploding pub, and sent to Goramesh... or were they just teleported?
Kizima was killed by a golem
Lucidae was killed by a Mind Flayer
Krashnix was killed by Tharok
Tharok was killed by a wizard
Khorik was killed by a wizard
Ismal was killed by a priest

That's 20 deaths over the course of the campaign. Not too bad, eh? I've probably forgotten some anyway.

Ozzy_G
2008-06-08, 06:31 AM
Would anyone believe that but a mere week ago, i met Khorik Nhulliop, son of Barris Nhulliop in a tavern? Tasked to find a time and world-shifting artefact to deliver it to one of the 9 betrayers?
It was a bit more than a week ago. It was, oh, nearly 3 weeks ago (not counting the time travel/stasis of course).

The Great Skenardo
2008-06-08, 08:18 AM
Now, let's try that
[roll0]
To find a defensible unobtrusive place.

So if one of you used to have a magic vest, singed or unsinged, that probably is the one.

That's Ismal's old vest of resistance, I believe. Rather stained and singed at this point, but still highly functional.

knewsom
2008-06-08, 11:23 AM
so is Sumner walking around looking for a suitable campsite? Or just standing there looking?

The Great Skenardo
2008-06-08, 11:30 AM
Waiting on one last thing from Ozzy, but then starting to walk away, yes.

Toliudar
2008-06-08, 02:54 PM
Ismal can claim the vest, but is also happy to pass it along if someone else might need it more. Mind you, with her recent track record of saving throws...

Ozzy_G
2008-06-08, 05:54 PM
I'll give you the results of the survival check after you've finished here, and go and look for a place to sleep.

Ozzy_G
2008-06-09, 08:46 AM
Knowledge Religion checks for everyone but Sumner.
Tell me if you're trained or not.

knewsom
2008-06-09, 08:55 AM
knowledge religion trained [roll0] that's right, I put one of my whopping two skill points into a skill for which I have no bonus. Why? well, it made sense, and I had a hunch I'd be using it. EDIT: Not that it's doing me any good, of course.

Toliudar
2008-06-09, 09:06 AM
Pretty sure that Ismal has already had her shot at this one. I'm hoping the rest of you come up with something more!

Ozzy_G
2008-06-09, 09:10 AM
Alright, for Draven we have:
Uh, who? Aren't those like the Mokai Gods? You've got occasional rumours up in the Wastes, they have a few gods, who each do different things. Apparently they're really evil. At least, that's what Davethrans say. You don't meet many actual Mokai in the wastes.
When Draven was living in Davethra with Ismal, sometimes he'd see the Mokai having street festivals for their Gods, all dressed up in masked costumes. Never really talked to them much though. They never try to convert other people or anything.

NobleSavage
2008-06-09, 10:17 AM
Trained Rel [roll0]

Ozzy_G
2008-06-09, 10:40 AM
For Kaleff The Kael Vorn are the Gods of the Mokai. There are 5 of them: one for each season, and one who's in charge. Their priests wear masks, and you've seen their festivals, where Mokai dress up as their gods, or make big paper effigies of a young Mokai woman, an armoured Mokai man, a centipede with a human face, a wolf, and a robed woman. These are the five Gods, though you don't know which one's which.

Lycar
2008-06-09, 12:29 PM
Untrained Know, Religion: [roll0]

And in case it makes a difference:

Bardic Knowledge: [roll1]

... apparently not.

Oh and do any of you know about one Isana, Lady of fire (see post #513)?

Lycar

NobleSavage
2008-06-09, 02:31 PM
And which mask of these was the priest who was murdered (in Ch1 of our adventure) wearing?

[roll0] +2 if Wis check +4 if Int

You have no idea how long I've been hoping this would tie in.

Ozzy_G
2008-06-09, 03:51 PM
And you'd know too, if you hadn't rolled a natural 1...
You remember that there was a Mokai, and he did have a mask, but you can't remember at all what the mask looked like. It's probably because of all the dramatic and crazy things that have happened since then.
Maybe you should ask Sumner when he returns?

Oh, and Kaleff notices that Orin's shield has a picture of a Phoenix, the symbol of Isana, the Ilsharei, or Elder God, of inspiration, rage and madness.

Orin knows the Kael Vorn are the Gods of the Mokai. There are five of them:
Cilnara, normally represented as a naked or scantily-clad young Mokai woman;
Emvael, normally represented as a towering armoured Mokai man carrying a massive spear;
Malsharak, normally represented as a massive centipede with a human face;
Veldaera, normally represented as a huge white wolf;
A fifth one, normally represented as a feminine figure, robed and cowled, holding an hourglass. You don't know her name.
The worship of these Gods was illegal under the Davethran Empire.
Priests of the Kael Vorn wear masks when performing ceremonies, with different masks for different ceremonies.
At certain times of the year, Mokai hold big festivals where they dress up as these Gods. At the beginning of each season, they all dress up as one particular God, but they have other festivals where they are mixed.
The Gods each have particular portfolios of influence, including the seasons. But you're not sure what those areas actually are. Or why there are five Gods but only four seasons, yet you've been told they each have a season.

Orin has heard several famous stories about them, including the tale of how they defeated and slew the First Dragon, from whose body they formed the world, and of their long war against the Demons, whose leaders they imprisoned in big tomb complexes, which you can still see the top of in various places in the south.

Ozzy_G
2008-06-10, 06:43 AM
'Something strange is going on here' may be the understatement of this decade and the one we were shot out of, via chaos sea.

why did they all have to be so damned cryptic all the time? "I have a name, but I can't tell it to you", "Oh, talk to this other pantheon, they can tell you what to do. Oh, why can't I? Oh, I could, I just don't feel like it..."
These gave me some chuckles. :smallbiggrin:

Lycar
2008-06-10, 03:11 PM
Yes Noblesavage, Orin is indeed trying to get Kaleff out of the way to better milk Ismal for imformation chitchat with a fellow noble.

Of course, it's Kaleff's own fault if he lets Orin get away with it. :smalltongue:

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-06-10, 05:53 PM
At some point, someone's going to read those documents, so here they are for whoever does:

There is a document dated a few days ago, explaining how the dominated Orin is going to be used to whip up support for the Wizard's Guild, saying he couldn't have killed Ravan Zere without their help, so that the Guild can continue to rule without consulting the elected Mayor. It tells Saigon that he should tell his students to help in the celebrations of Orin's deed.
There is a document about the crown that Orin brought back, that it's purpose is unknown, but that it radiates great power, and that on today's date, in the evening, all masters who think they might be able to help are to join the head of the guild in trying to find out its purpose.
There is a document about the murder of Orin and Sumner Kesh, and how the masters should tell everyone that it must have been Davethrans eager to weaken Qusa, and remind people that only the Guild can protect them. It also reminds masters to try and find out who actually sent the Devils.
There is a document, dated from today, telling how Ral Misari, the capital city of Khadoth has been attacked by some form of magic, killing nearly every inhabitant and animating them as zombies temporarily. The King has not been heard of since, and is assumed dead. A few survivors have brought the Prince, who is 10 years old, to Shavar, the biggest city in the country, and he is now under the protection of the local Archmage. Basically, he's a puppet ruler. This is of course a very long way away, but masters should stay on top of the news.

NobleSavage
2008-06-11, 12:14 AM
As in that place we just passed, under 'quarentene' right?

Ozzy_G
2008-06-11, 06:25 AM
Yes, that's the place.

Ozzy_G
2008-06-11, 11:39 AM
Well, Draven, it looks like we've stumbled across the answer to why Khaldoth was quarantined; it was hit with some sort of magic, killing and then animating as zombies, almost everyone inside.
To avoid confusion, you might want to change this to

Well, Draven, it looks like we've stumbled across the answer to why Ral Misari was quarantined; it was hit with some sort of magic, killing and then animating as zombies, almost everyone inside.
It wasn't the whole country of Khadoth, just the capital city, Ral Misari, which you were told was quarintined. After all, you travelled through the country, you just didn't go to that particular city, as it was quarantined, you instead went east of it to find the small village where Azakan was.

Lycar
2008-06-11, 11:52 AM
So who's this Moxa Kul guy and who was archmage of Shavar 10 years ago?

Or rather, who was archmage the last time Orin was around to know such things... :smallamused:

Know. Nobility: [roll0]

Lycar

Toliudar
2008-06-11, 12:06 PM
Moxa Kul is warrior caste in Ralm, an enforcer for his brother Desha, who is a powerful sorcerer, head of the archmage's secret police, and notorious torturer. As I recall (always dangerous) Moxa has a reputation as an amoral killer. And for that to be your reputation in the circle of Davethran nobility...

Lycar
2008-06-11, 02:20 PM
Ah thanks.

Also Orin would love to know who his 'wife' is. Because he can't for the life of him remember having been married... :smallamused:

Oh well, a lot of things can happen in 10 years.

Lycar

The Great Skenardo
2008-06-11, 04:18 PM
Probably Ismal has either forgotten/never believed that you travelled forward ten years, and is referring to the former Lady Stillwater, which might be an aunt or your mother, perhaps.

Lycar
2008-06-11, 04:44 PM
Nope, not mother. Definitly not mother.

Ismal should prepare to be engaged in more chitchat later...

Lycar

Toliudar
2008-06-11, 04:58 PM
What? Ten years? How long has Orin been gone from Ralm?

The Great Skenardo
2008-06-11, 05:04 PM
Sounds like an IC question to me :smallwink:

Lycar
2008-06-11, 05:49 PM
What? Ten years? How long has Orin been gone from Ralm?

... you may want to re-read post #531 very carefully... :smallamused:

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-06-11, 07:09 PM
Ten years ago, Orin didn't know who the Archmage of Shavar was, since people in Davethra didn't get a great deal of information from Khadoth, the country where it is, since there's a big desert between them. The only practical method of going there was by teleportation, which of course isn't available to most.

Toliudar
2008-06-11, 11:59 PM
... you may want to re-read post #531 very carefully... :smallamused:

Lycar

Ismal has some vague sense that Kaleff and Sumner did something ten years ago, but Kaleff's never talked with her about how old he is, and Sumner is...old. "The decade we were shot out of" could, as far as she is concerned, mean just about any previous decade. Hell, we can't even reach consensus about whether or not we died in that tavern three weeks ago - or whether it was a week ago, or three. :smallamused:

And on top of that, she's not even clear whether Orin is from this world or the alternate, or the timeline of those events. If he really hasn't been in Ralm for ten years - Ozzy, can I get confirmation of that - Ismal might well be surprised that he wasn't declared dead years and years ago. If there really was time travel, he certainly wouldn't have been registering as "alive" during that period, right?

NobleSavage
2008-06-12, 02:30 AM
And on top of that, she's not even clear whether Orin is from this world or the alternate, or the timeline of those events.

I think I can help you out with this one. You must have missed this:

Eventually you reach a large hall. In the middle, on a stone slab, covered by a glass case, lies the corpse of Orin Stillwater. He is wearing fabulous robes in the Qusan style, and is bedecked with golden jewellery, and he wears a tightly trimmed, black goatee. You cannot see any wounds, but the robes are closed at the front, unusually for the style.

Clear everything up?

Ozzy_G
2008-06-12, 06:58 AM
Black goatees are indeed how you recognise evil alternate-dimension twins. Also, occasionally eyepatches.

The Great Skenardo
2008-06-12, 07:19 AM
Indeed. Ismal and Co. know that Orin went on a job for an archmage about ten years ago and when everything went wrong, he vanished. They also know that he was impossible to locate magically during that time, and that spies had only recently picked up a message between Khorik and Gareth, two of Orin's old associates. They were sent to find them at the rendezvous at the Bronze Cauldron.
...We may have gotten a little off-track :smallwink:

Ozzy_G
2008-06-12, 07:54 AM
Tell me when your characters have finished chatting.

Lycar
2008-06-12, 05:03 PM
Well Orin could grill Ismal for hours.. he has 10 years to catch up on... but we need to rest too so once Draven answers, Orin will be good until the next morning.

Lycar

Toliudar
2008-06-12, 05:36 PM
Indeed. Ismal and Co. know that Orin went on a job for an archmage about ten years ago and when everything went wrong, he vanished. They also know that he was impossible to locate magically during that time, and that spies had only recently picked up a message between Khorik and Gareth, two of Orin's old associates. They were sent to find them at the rendezvous at the Bronze Cauldron.
...We may have gotten a little off-track :smallwink:

I love your optimism, TGS.

Since I'm pretty sure that Ismal & Draven have never spoken about what they were doing at the cauldron, then, we would have had no idea that Orin actually was at the Cauldron that night - or was he? Nor would Kaleff & Sumner have known that we were initially sent to apprehend their companion. Am I reading that right?

And, Ozzy, seriously - why wasn't Orin labelled dead after a year or so?

The Great Skenardo
2008-06-12, 05:41 PM
Ismal and Co. refers, now, to Draven and Ismal. :smallwink:
The contact they had at the beginning explained that

They'd tried passing the role of Magus onto the next available puppet relative, but it wouldn't happen because apparently the proper scion (Orin) still existed. somewhere. somewhen.

EDIT: Actually, you mentioned it in Goramesh that you were there looking for an Orin Stillwater, and Sumner informed you that it must have been to complete a ritual to summon more demons on behalf of the Archmage. Though how he knows, he hasn't said.

knewsom
2008-06-12, 05:56 PM
Draven has also mentioned their purpose to Azakan in the presence of Orin as Bren, but spoke distastefully about it, and especially about Desha.

Lycar
2008-06-12, 06:16 PM
Yes yes, it's complicated... maybe Ismal happens to have heard about things taking place roughly... oh.. 10,5 year ago at Govan's court. It's complicated (http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=3fifItoMPTw&feature=related) ...

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-06-12, 06:31 PM
we would have had no idea that Orin actually was at the Cauldron that night - or was he?
Thinking back to it, he didn't seem to be.
There was a manacled man who looked very similar, and now that you've seen the slightly older, now dead Orin, you can realise that it was him.
But the real Orin you are talking to now, he didn't seem to be there.

Is Sumner ready to return now?

Toliudar
2008-06-12, 07:22 PM
Ismal will circle down once Orin and Draven finish their conversation.

The Great Skenardo
2008-06-12, 07:45 PM
Sure thing. Just have to finish gathering my ki reminiscing.

Lycar
2008-06-14, 09:46 AM
We are taking Tharok's backpack with us of course. It is full of... stuff after all. Draven or Sumner could take it?

Lycar

Toliudar
2008-06-14, 09:51 AM
TGS, just in case I'm missing something: since the fight, has Sumner given any indication of whether he still intends to participate in the ritual (or assist his "guest" in doing so)?

I'd rather assumed that with the "No more demons" comment, that he'd changed his mind. But, what with the dead and then alive again, there's things that get missed. :smallwink:

The Great Skenardo
2008-06-14, 10:11 AM
Why don't you try asking? :smalltongue:

knewsom
2008-06-14, 11:44 AM
Draven can carry the pack no problem, he's pretty strong. How much does it weigh and what all's in it?

Toliudar
2008-06-14, 11:44 AM
Sounds good. However, it's become painfully clear that I sometimes miss plot points, so wanted to make sure I wasn't covering old ground.

Lycar
2008-06-14, 12:11 PM
Well, let us just say it contains a lot of ... metal .. and leave it at that? Or Draven just looks inside. Then Ozzy has to tell you. :smallwink:

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-06-14, 12:15 PM
Damn you Lycar!
Yes, it has lots of clinky things, and is pretty heavy, about 40 pounds I think, since it has a breastplate in there as well as lots of other stuff.

knewsom
2008-06-14, 01:04 PM
Draven will indeed go through the pack and take inventory.

Ozzy_G
2008-06-14, 06:29 PM
Hmmm...
I think the backpack has 2170 platinum pieces, and a fine breastplate with a phoenix motif carved on the front. There is also some adventurer's stuff (backpack, waterskin, etc) and some bits of non-magical jewelery. It weighs about 75 pounds altogether.

The Great Skenardo
2008-06-14, 07:37 PM
And a flute; there's a wooden flute as well.

Ozzy_G
2008-06-14, 08:09 PM
No, I think that got buried with Livina's body... Lycar, do you remember?

Lycar
2008-06-14, 08:38 PM
Uhm... we just took the heads 'cause we couldn't carry the bodies after our beast of burden succumbed to a terminal case of Magic Missile...

I also don't think we did bother much with the bodies after cutting off the heads. Orin doesn't do digging, being a noble and all, and Tharok probably didn't bother either.

As for the personal effects of the deacesed Livina Lightfoot, Orin is carrying those in a little pack, including one wooden flute and some non-magical jewelry.

They weren't heavy and he figured that Livina might be mad at him if he brought her back to life but not her stuff. Well, madder.

Krashnix's breastplate and shield, well, Orin was hoping that bringing back one of their own to the temple of Isana (his head anyway) plus his gear would make them more receptive to requests of having people raised.

And it never hurts to have some money either. So Orin has about 550 of Lucidae's coins and Tharok had the rest.

And of course he has a number of unidentified magic items, some of which he's wearing, some are just stowed away in his backpack awaiting identification.

Now let's make camp and go to sleep already. Orin is kinda partial to regaining some HP here. :smallamused:

Lycar

NobleSavage
2008-06-14, 08:55 PM
So, hey, Ozzy, how are we gonna run this 'getting new spells' thing for Kaleff? Hes leveled again, but really hasn't had time to research anything. Still, its getting a little frustrating running around with unusable 4th level slots. I can be patient, just give me a hint that its coming, if that doesn't spoil plot surprises.