PDA

View Full Version : Castle in the Sky

SilentNight
2008-04-09, 10:47 PM
These are my first real homebrews so feel free to destroy them at will. They are all from the movie "Castle in the Sky" by Hayao Miyazaki.

Dragonfly Skiff
This small ship is about eight feet long and sports a large pair of dragonfly wings. It measures about 5ft./10ft. and has room for a pilot and passenger. It allows the user to fly at a speed of 100ft(good). In addition, the skiff has room for five smoke canisters that cost an additional 300gp apiece. As a free action, the pilot can release one or more of them to create a smokescreen, duplicating the effects of a fog cloud spell at CL 3rd.
Also, once every 1d4 rounds, the pilot can use a burst of speed to move up to 400ft in a round.
Cost, 80,000gp

The Laputa Signet [Major Artifact]

I changed this a bit to accomidate for the lack of Laputa in D&D.

The Laputa signet was given to the royal family of Laputa before the castle's fall. It is a small, brilliantly blue stone marked with the royal crest. Allows the wearer to use feather fall, find the path and passwall at will. Also, the bearer can command Laputa golems from any range. CL 25th Cost;-

Laputa Golem

This large metal man has a round, almost bullet shaped, torso, a small head with two eyes, and long segmented limbs.
Large Construct
Hit Dice:17d10+34(129 hp)
Speed: 30ft (can't run), fly 40ft(poor)
Armor Class:27(-1 size, -1 Dex, +19 natural) touch 9, flat-footed 27
BAB/Grapple:+12/+24
Attack:Slam+19 (3d6+8) or Eye beam +11 ranged touch
Full Attack:2 Slams +19(3d6+8)
Space/Reach:10ft/10ft
Special Attacks:Eye beam
Special Qualities: Construct traits, DR 15/Adamantine, darkvision 120ft., liege bound
Saves: Fort+6, Ref+5, Will+7
Abilities:Str 27, Dex 8, Con-, Int 7, Wis 13, Cha 1
Skills:Spot +18
Feats:Fly-by attack(B)
Challenge Rating:11
Treasure:none
Alignment:Always nuetral

Designed for the care and defense of Laputa, these golems are deadly combatants. Using their eye beams to nuetralize heavy threats, they can adjust their tactics for almost any situation. Laputa Golems understand common but cannot speak.

Eye Beam: Once every 2d4 rounds a Laputa Golem can launch a searing beam from its right eye. If this beam strikes a target it acts as a disintegrate spell by an 11th level caster(DC 19) except that the target does not take 5d6 damage on a successful save. In addition, a fireball is then centered on the target of the disintegrate,( 10d6, DC19). Any thing reduced to -10 hit points by the fireball is also turned to dust as per disintegrate.
Liege bound: A Laputa Golem will obey any command given to it by the bearer of the Laputa signet, even to its destruction.

Hand Cannon( exotic weapon)

The hand cannon has a short, round barrel and is about the size of a light crossbow. It is favored by pirates and and other such types that enjoy flashy, powerful weapons. It takes a standard action to reload that provokes and attack of oppritunity.

Cost Dmg(S) Dmg(M) Critical Range Weight Type
Hand cannon 50gp 2d6 3d6 X3 30ft. 5lbs. Bludgeoning

Cost Weight
Hand cannon shell 2gp 1/2lbs.

Please critique.

Icewalker
2008-04-10, 10:32 PM
Interesting stuff, certainly.

I'm not sure if I can really measure anything on the Skiff, I don't know much about vehicle numbers.

As to the signet, I'd say minor artifact.

For the golems, to represent mild tactics I'd suggest upping the int a little more, because 5 is just over animal intelligence (3-). Using The Vorpal Tribble's CR-determining system from here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43009) returns a CR of around 10, which may be too low. 11-12 is probably right, I'm not positive really.

As to the hand cannon, looks a bit overpowered. Too much damage. I suggest lowering the damage to medium to 2d6 to make it more reasonable, then maybe increasing the price a bit. Also, tables are handy and can make it a lot easier to read. I don't really know the exact code myself, but Fax Celestis' Guide to Homebrewing (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10313) has the code for a class table and the like. Just mess with the rows and the labeling.

SilentNight
2008-04-10, 10:44 PM
I couldn't find the table code on the guide. I cleaned up the post a bit and reduced the hand cannon damage. However, if I make it an exotic weapon then it's only a little above the heavy crossbow and a lot more expensive. Thanks for the feedback though. I tried to base the skiff off of the Carpet of Flying with adjusted speed. I don't quite know if I succeded.

jagadaishio
2008-04-10, 10:51 PM
With the price of the individual shells for the hand cannon, I would increase its damage. Significantly. After all, you can get 50 crossbow bolts for 5 GP. Plus, it's a freaking cannon. Come on. As long as you keep the price as is and make it exotic, you can jack up that damage and keep it balanced. I would actually suggest 3d6 (that may even be what the hand cannon in Monte Cook's Ptolus deals).

SilentNight
2008-04-10, 11:01 PM
With the price of the individual shells for the hand cannon, I would increase its damage. Significantly. After all, you can get 50 crossbow bolts for 5 GP. Plus, it's a freaking cannon. Come on. As long as you keep the price as is and make it exotic, you can jack up that damage and keep it balanced. I would actually suggest 3d6 (that may even be what the hand cannon in Monte Cook's Ptolus deals).

I guess I overcompensated, originally I had it as 3d6 and 10gp for five shells, I 'll put the damage back up I guess.

Kyace
2008-04-10, 11:21 PM
These are my first real homebrews so feel free to destroy them at will. They are all from the movie " Castle in the Sky" by Hayao Miyazaki.
Thanks for the permission. :3

Dragonfly Skiff
This small ship is about eight feet long and sports a large pair of dragonfly wings. It measures about 5ft./10ft. and has room for a pilot and passenger. It allows the user to fly at a speed of 100ft(good). In addition, the skiff has room for five smoke canisters that cost an additional 300gp apiece. As a free action, the pilot can release one or more of them to create a smokescreen, duplicating the effects of a fog cloud spell.
Also, once every 1d4 rounds, the pilot can use a burst of speed to move up to 400ft in a round. Cost, 80,000gp

You are basically duplicating a flying carpet (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#carpetofFlying) and smoke sticks (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#smokestick). Compared to their SRD counterparts, the skiff is a slight bargain, the smoke canisters a rip off. (Well, the free action to release is nice but unlikely worth 280gp until high levels when actions are worth more than gold.)

The Laputa Signet [Artifact?]

I changed this a bit to accommodate for the lack of Laputa in D&D.

The Laputa signet was given to the royal family of Laputa before the castle's fall. It is a small, brilliantly blue stone marked with the royal crest. Allows the wearer to use feather fall, find the path and passwall at will. Also , the bearer can command Laputa golems from any range. Cost;-

I haven't seen the movie, but as this seems a plot device made physical I might offer a few suggestions, feel free to ignore them if they don't fit the fluff. First, make Find the Path only direct the wearer to the castle (I assume this was the ring's role in the movie). Second, passwall at will is strong, but I would assume, from plot conventions, that this function of the ring only works on walls inside the castle.

Laputa Golem

This large metal man has a round, almost bullet shaped, torso, a small head with two eyes, and long segmented limbs.
Large Construct
Hit Dice:17d10+34(129 hp)
Speed: 30ft (can't run), fly 40ft(poor)
Armor Class:27(-1 size, -1 Dex, +19 natural) touch 9, flat-footed 27
BAB/Grapple:+12/+24
Attack:Slam+19 (3d6+8) or Eye ray +11 ranged touch
Full Attack:2 Slams +19(3d6+8)
Space/Reach:10ft/10ft
Special Attacks:Eye beam
Special Qualities: Construct traits, DR 15/Adamantine, darkvision 120ft., liege bound
Saves: Fort+6, Ref+5, Will+7
Abilities:Str 27, Dex 8, Con-, Int 5, Wis 13, Cha 1
Skills:Spot +18
Feats:Fly-by attack(B)
Challenge Rating:11?, 12?
Treasure:none
Alignment:Always neutral
Designed for the care and defense of Laputa, these golems are deadly combatants. Using their eye beams to neutralize heavy threats, they can adjust their tactics for almost any situation. Laputa Golems understand common but cannot speak.
Eye Beam: Once every 2d4 rounds a Laputan Golem can launch a searing beam from its right eye. If this beam strikes a target it acts as a disintegrate spell by an 11th level caster(DC 19). In addition, a fireball is then centered on the target of the disintegrate,( 10d6, DC19)
Liege bound: A Laputa Golem will obey any command given to it by the holder of the Laputa signet, even to its destruction.
I tried to base this one off of the iron golem. I gave it some intelligence because they do show simple tactics in the film.

Personally, I would combine the effects of disintegrate and fireball into one: make failing the fort save not deal the 5d6 that disintegrate normally deals and maybe make anyone brought to -10 by the secondary fireball be turned to dust as if by disintegrate. This is strong for a CR 11 monster, but since it requires a ray as well offers a fort save VS death and a reflex save VS fire, it might be balanced. You might replace the DR 15/Adamantine with "Hardness 15", it means roughly the same thing, only energy attacks don't ignore hardness like they can DR.

Hand Cannon

The hand cannon has a short, round barrel and is about the size of a light crossbow. It is favored by pirates and and other such types that enjoy flashy, powerful weapons. It takes a standard action to reload that provokes an attack of opportunity.
Cost Dmg(S) Dmg(M) Critical Range Weight Type
Hand cannon 30gp 2d6? 3d6? X3 30ft. 5lbs. Bludgeoning?

Cost Weight
Hand cannon shells(5) 10gp 1/2lbs.

Please critique.
30gp cost for a weapon that deals 3d6 damage? That can't be right. *looks in SRD, finds Elixir of Fire Breath (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#elixirofFireBreath) which deals 4d6 (no attack roll, but reflex save instead) 3 times for 1,100gp.* Roughly speaking, it seems ammo for this weapon (if it requires no training) should cost roughly 275gp per shot. If it requires a feat to use properly *cough*Exotic Weapon Proficiency*cough*, I might understand the cost per shot dropping down to the less than 100 gp level. I also might suggest a "fun" penalty for using the weapon without Exotic Weapon Proficiency, such as *takes page from poisoned weapons* requiring a DC 15 Reflex save on a Nat 1 attack roll or else shooting yourself.

Overall, it looks interesting.

SilentNight
2008-04-11, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the permission. :3

You are basically duplicating a flying carpet (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#carpetofFlying) and smoke sticks (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#smokestick). Compared to their SRD counterparts, the skiff is a slight bargain, the smoke canisters a rip off. (Well, the free action to release is nice but unlikely worth 280gp until high levels when actions are worth more than gold.)

That's about it. Except that the actual fog cloudspell lasts a good deal longer than a smoke stick and creates a bigger cloud. The 300gp is from the DMG price guides for a single use-activated item.

I haven't seen the movie, but as this seems a plot device made physical I might offer a few suggestions, feel free to ignore them if they don't fit the fluff. First, make Find the Path only direct the wearer to the castle (I assume this was the ring's role in the movie). Second, passwall at will is strong, but I would assume, from plot conventions, that this function of the ring only works on walls inside the castle.

Right you are. But since I am too lazy to do the huge castle with its mega-ray of death right now I changed it to accomadate for normal D&D. If you guys really want it I'll do it. I guess I'll make the signet a major artifact then.

Personally, I would combine the effects of disintegrate and fireball into one: make failing the fort save not deal the 5d6 that disintegrate normally deals and maybe make anyone brought to -10 by the secondary fireball be turned to dust as if by disintegrate. This is strong for a CR 11 monster, but since it requires a ray as well offers a fort save VS death and a reflex save VS fire, it might be balanced. You might replace the DR 15/Adamantine with "Hardness 15", it means roughly the same thing, only energy attacks don't ignore hardness like they can DR.

I thought only objects could have hardness.:smallconfused: Would 15/- resist energy attacks and the like or no?I suppose the disitigrate/fireball thing works. I'll add that in, thanks.

30gp cost for a weapon that deals 3d6 damage? That can't be right. *looks in SRD, finds Elixir of Fire Breath (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#elixirofFireBreath) which deals 4d6 (no attack roll, but reflex save instead) 3 times for 1,100gp.* Roughly speaking, it seems ammo for this weapon (if it requires no training) should cost roughly 275gp per shot. If it requires a feat to use properly *cough*Exotic Weapon Proficiency*cough*, I might understand the cost per shot dropping down to the less than 100 gp level. I also might suggest a "fun" penalty for using the weapon without Exotic Weapon Proficiency, such as *takes page from poisoned weapons* requiring a DC 15 Reflex save on a Nat 1 attack roll or else shooting yourself.

Overall, it looks interesting.
It says on the heading that it is an exotic weapon. Also, including exotic proficiency, it requires two feats to fire this thing once per round(rapid reload). The ammunition is also much more expensive than any other ranged weapon. I only made it an exotic weapon because there are no firearms in D&D. In the film a, what 12 year old?, miner assistant uses one fairly easily.