PDA

View Full Version : Druid Help

DrizztFan24
2008-04-10, 08:37 AM
So I have plans to play a druid (core only), and want it to be riding a blink dog. The Druid should be decent at mounted combat.

I have plans to have a young blink dog that I am raising so I don't need to worry about attracting one later. I just don't know whether I should go with a Halfling, Gnome, or Dwarf. If I choose halfling my only weapon options are dagger and sickle, same for the gnome (with the str penalties I have to lean into weapon finesse). The dwarf doesn't suffer any Str penalties so my weapon choices open up a little bit. I have a 32-point buy to work with.

as a halfling the stats are
STR:13
DEX:16
CON:11
INT:13
WIS:18
CHA:10

Level three feat would be weapon finesse to increase my chances to hit.

Ideas? Suggestions? Scrap it all and ride a dinosaur instead?

Darrin
2008-04-10, 10:00 AM
So I have plans to play a druid (core only), and want it to be riding a blink dog. The Druid should be decent at mounted combat.

A blink dog is not an animal, it's a magical beast, and would not be allowed to be an animal companion.

There are a couple ways around this, but only one of them would be considered core.

First, the Exalted Companion feat from BoED would work at 4th level if your alignment were Lawful Good, but this is an illegal alignment for druids. Only a ranger could pick up a blink dog.

Second, the feats Savage Empathy and Monstrous Animal Companion (Dragon #326) would allow you to treat a magical beast as an animal companion, but blink dog is not on the list of available creatures (most likely because it's Int is too high, 10 is the same as an average human).

Third, at 6th level, take the Leadership feat and pick up a blink dog as a cohort. It wouldn't gain any benefits as an animal companion, but it'd certainly be (core only). You would most likely still have your original animal companion, so the dinosaur could be your "wingman".

Squash Monster
2008-04-10, 11:06 AM
Darrin, you can ride creatures without the creature being an animal companion, cohort, or anything else fancy. Nobody makes the Fighter take Leadership so he can get a horse.

As for your question, you want to be a Gnome. Dwarves are medium-sized and can't ride blink dogs. The strength penalty for Gnomes and Halflings doesn't mean a thing, because you are a Druid. The only physical stat that benefits the Druid once he wildshapes is Constitution. Conveniently, Gnomes get that.

So take the Gnome, and when you get to level 5 wild-shape into a baboon. There's a reason why Druids don't need good physical stats, you know.

Burley
2008-04-10, 11:18 AM
@squash monster: Darrin is right, actually. The intelligence is too high to consider it a mount. It isn't an animal that can be trained. Unless the DM were to give DrizztFan24 special ruling, a Blinkdog wouldn't concent to being a humble mount. As a cohort, however, I could see a blinkdog allowing somebody to ride it...in battle.

However, when a blinkdog blinks, does it take things that it's touching with it? I don't remember. I should hope so, or you'd be fallin' on your butt a lot.

ryuteki
2008-04-10, 11:49 AM
Core only? That's too bad. I would definitely go with gnome for the reasons stated above, but Whisper Gnome from Races of Stone would be absolutely perfect for you.

DrizztFan24
2008-04-10, 12:23 PM
More like as a small girl she was ousted from her original home and then found refuge with a ranger. The ranger had ties with the local wildlife and was particularly close with a pack of blink dogs. The little girl liked to play with the blink dogs whenever she could. *continues typing out the story* So the puppy is not a slave or mindless mount. It is much like the relationship between a young child and their favorite teddy bear, a loyal friend that will always stick with you.

C'mon can't you see the roleplay? "What do you mean something smells funny?" *wildshapes into a wolf* "OK, I see what yu mean...something smells like....like....ogre.... Ahh crap!" :smallbiggrin:

MightyIgoo
2008-04-10, 12:41 PM
Honestly, I wouldn't even be bothering with weapons. Even at level 1 you can cast produce flame and magic stone. Handily enough, I think halflings would get bonuses to both spells. It seems like halfling would be good for low levels, but gnome would be better in later levels with its bonus to Con.

Devils_Advocate
2008-04-10, 03:55 PM
C'mon can't you see the roleplay?
A paladin inheriting an intelligent holy avenger dedicated to ridding the world of evil could lead to some great roleplaying. That doesn't mean that a player should expect his DM to let him have one at level one.

Edit: OK, so you didn't actually say that you're starting at level one. Oops. I think I may have misinterpreted "would be". But regardless, you'll be asking the DM to give you an NPC ally, which is definitely something (s)he can decline to do. Even the Leadership feat requires DM approval (and is cheese).

What level are you starting at? Knowing that will help people give you more specific advice.

DrizztFan24
2008-04-10, 04:16 PM
Haha, i was actually thinking of gaining the dog as an actual ally at level 4. The character will start at level 1 and the pup will grow as the character adventures.

BUT I was looking at some of the alternate druidic companions in the PHB and one of them is a black bear, CR 2. The blink dog is *gasps* CR 2. So i was figuring since I had managed to tie the pup into my backstory without it becoming a slave, AND it was the same CR as some of the alternate druidic companions, I figured it would work.:smallbiggrin:

Oh and I ran across this

The companion is treated as a magical beast, not an animal *continues*
if that has any relevance.

Bag_of_Holding
2008-04-10, 04:42 PM
The primary difference between blink dogs and black bears is their intelligence. Due to its animal-level intelligence, black bears require training (which takes time) and you must make a handle animal check to give it an order (free action to order AC, with DC 10). Blink dogs on the other hand, has Int score of 10 meaning less time to 'train' and no need for any skill check to order it around. Of course, its dimension door ability won't take the rider with it (affects BD only) it still is a handy ability.

Unless your DM specifically allows you to have BD as an animal companion, the only way to get a BD as your 'friend' is to take Leadership feat and at 8th level it will be able to be your cohort. "But I already have its friendship! It's in my background!"? Remember that your cohort is determined by your DM, not you. The backstory is just a convenient tool for you and your DM to incorporate that particular BD as your cohort, but nothing more than that.

Devils_Advocate
2008-04-10, 05:08 PM
Oh and I ran across this
Oh? Where'd you get that from? I can't find it.

The backstory is just a convenient tool for you and your DM to incorporate that particular BD as your cohort, but nothing more than that.

"When tweaking your character, don't overlook your backstory. Remember, your parents can be anyone you choose. The only limit to your power is your own imagination and everyone else's wilingness to be royally screwed."
- Chainmail Bikini (http://www.feartheboot.com/comic/default.aspx?c=24)

DrizztFan24
2008-04-10, 05:51 PM
Oh? Where'd you get that from? I can't find it.

PHB 3.5 page 36 side/bottom bar, second line

Another_Poet
2008-04-10, 06:26 PM
Assuming that your DM lets you have the blink dog, here is the build I would recommend.

1. Gnome. It's cooler than halfling or dwarf.
2. Take the Mounted Archery and Mounted Combat feats. (Why: it's only two feats instead of the 3 that are involved in mounted melee; you have a great Dex score and won't have to buff your Str at all; and you get to take a full attack while mounted with ranged weapons *only*, not melee weapons.)
3. Remember to sink GP into enchanted barding and other items for your blink dog. If you lose it, finding another one is gonna be tough.
4. If you DM allows taking character flaws to get bonus feats, then take one and get Martial Weapon Proficiency so you can use a lance if needed. The double dmg on a charge is sweet. If you can't get bonus feats, don't waste one on it. Druids need their feats.

Have fun!

ap

Kol Korran
2008-04-10, 06:26 PM
first of all-

Quote:
The companion is treated as a magical beast, not an animal *continues*

this means that while the companion is an animal it is considred a magical beast for other purposes (wild empathy by other druids, spells that affect just animals, and such). this does not actually enables you to take a magical beast as a companion... you usually need a feat (or two) to do that.

second- what are the reasons for the blink dog? an intelligent talking companion, or the blink and dimension door powers? because if this is about the powers- they can be used for the blink dog alone, not you as well. (it makes it an effective combatant, but not an effective mount).

if it's for the rolepaly opportunities, i think that a DM might find a worg far less objectionable... an intellignet, slightly stronger wolf basically (better HP than the blink dog, and a trip attack make it a better moutn as well... oh, and it actualyl has the Scent feat, unlike the blinkdog.)

thirdly- race: just pick a small sized race if you're planning to use it as a mount. otherwise i'd actually advise human- druids need the extra skills, and extra feat.

lastly- as to the CR 2 reference for both a black bear and a blink dog... c'mon, we all know the CR system has many foulups. this is partly why the level adjustment stuff was brought to play. a blinking/ dimension dooring intelligent comapnion has numerous influences o nthe campaign, that are realy not covered by it's CR. (the smae gos for a mind flayer, if all it's powers were properly used, instead of just an encounter fodder).

DrizztFan24
2008-04-10, 06:48 PM
second- what are the reasons for the blink dog? an intelligent talking companion, or the blink and dimension door powers? because if this is about the powers- they can be used for the blink dog alone, not you as well. (it makes it an effective combatant, but not an effective mount).

I wanted a mounted combatant druid. A dinosaur seemed kinda cool but the rules about ore only sort of threw that out the window. So i figured a blink dog would be awesome. I think its for the RP and the coolness factor....but the abilities are nice.

Turcano
2008-04-10, 07:05 PM
First, the Exalted Companion feat from BoED would work at 4th level if your alignment were Lawful Good, but this is an illegal alignment for druids. Only a ranger could pick up a blink dog.

Does it actually say that in so many words, or does it simply say that the animal companion and the druid/ranger have to share the same alignment? If it's the latter (and it would be pretty stupid if it wasn't), note that blink dogs are listed as "usually lawful good," which merely indicates a majority. Neutral good blink dogs would hardly be unheard of.

Kizara
2008-04-10, 08:28 PM
I wanted a mounted combatant druid. A dinosaur seemed kinda cool but the rules about ore only sort of threw that out the window. So i figured a blink dog would be awesome. I think its for the RP and the coolness factor....but the abilities are nice.

Can you look at the Monster Manual III? If so, I have an 'interesting mount' for you.

It's a dinosaur too. :)

Nebo_
2008-04-10, 08:39 PM
CON:11

No.

weapon finesse

No.

Scrap it all and ride a dinosaur instead?
Yes.

Darrin
2008-04-10, 09:08 PM
Does it actually say that in so many words, or does it simply say that the animal companion and the druid/ranger have to share the same alignment? If it's the latter (and it would be pretty stupid if it wasn't), note that blink dogs are listed as "usually lawful good," which merely indicates a majority. Neutral good blink dogs would hardly be unheard of.

It says so exactly:

http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Exalted_Companion,BE

DrizztFan24
2008-04-10, 09:44 PM
@nebo:suggested core dinosaur for a gnome?

Nebo_
2008-04-10, 10:53 PM
@nebo:suggested core dinosaur for a gnome?

What level are you?

Turcano
2008-04-11, 01:29 AM
It says so exactly:

http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Exalted_Companion,BE

Well, that's one more stupid thing to add to the list of stupid things in the BoED.

DrizztFan24
2008-04-11, 09:52 AM
What level are you?

Starting level 1, its a PbP.

Nebo_
2008-04-11, 09:00 PM
The smallest dinosaur in Core is the Deinonychus, which has been errata'd down to medium. The earliest you can get one of those as an animal companion is at level 7, so you might want to ask your DM about going outside of Core for companions .

Devils_Advocate
2008-04-12, 01:08 AM
PHB 3.5 page 36 side/bottom bar, second line
That's an, umm... interesting claim. It sure doesn't appear to say that on that page of my 3.5 Player's Handbook. Upon closer inspection, though, I see that it does say

A druid and her animal companion can share spells even if the spells normally do not affect creatures of the companion’s type (animal).

Maybe there were multiple printings? :smallconfused: Anyway, what I quoted above appears in the Hypertext d20 SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm), which I believe incorporates the most recent errata. So that's probably the official answer.

Um, there are dinosaurs in the Monster Manual. A low-level druid can't get one as an animal companion, but then, a low-level druid can't get a blink dog for an animal companion either. In fact, it would appear that no druid can ever get a blink dog as an animal companion, by RAW. Was your reasoning that making friends with a blink dog would be easier than taming a wild dinosaur? I suppose that's probably true.

Starting level 1, its a PbP.
I recommend a riding dog.

Seriously, if I was your DM and you asked for a monster NPC ally with an Effective Character Level of 6, I'd consider whipping up a sidequest to get one when you reached level 6. But I would not be surprised if your DM just says "No".

Nebo_
2008-04-12, 01:37 AM
Maybe there were multiple printings? :smallconfused: Anyway, what I quoted above appears in the Hypertext d20 SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm), which I believe incorporates the most recent errata. So that's probably the official answer.

There was errata on that. The druid's animal companion is an animal, not a magical beast.

In fact, it would appear that no druid can ever get a blink dog as an animal companion, by RAW.

There's a post on that already. Exalted Companion lets you do it.

I recommend a riding dog.

Just call it a riding dinosaur and see if the DM agrees.

hamishspence
2008-04-12, 10:45 AM
Deinonychus errata-ed down to medium? Not very consistant (have not seen that particular errata.)

Reasons not to do it.
1: Clawfoot from eberron is medium. We really do not need two same size same group dinos.

2: Multiple books have it as Large, from Eberron to Fiend folio, to Arms and equipment. there are 4th ed supplement books with Large deinonychuses in. Effectively that requires errata for every one of these books.

Devils_Advocate
2008-04-12, 03:44 PM
There's a post on that already. Exalted Companion lets you do it.
You might want to read more carefully. Darrin's posts actually explained that the Exalted Companion feat doesn't let a druid get a blink dog as an animal companion, because it explicitly says "You must choose a companion whose alignment is the same as yours, so only a ranger can have a blink dog, pegasus, or unicorn as a companion." One could house-rule away this restriction, but that's why I said "by RAW."

We really do not need two same size same group dinos.
Rather ironic that you should say that, as it appears that that may have been the reason for the errata. :smallamused: See, in the Monster Manual, the tyrannosaurus and megaraptor are both Huge, the deinonychus is Large, and no dinosaur is Medium. But with the errata, the t-rex is Huge, the megaraptor is Large, and the deinonychus is Medium. So this errata actually addresses precisely the complaint quoted above.

Multiple books have it as Large, from Eberron to Fiend folio, to Arms and equipment. there are 4th ed supplement books with Large deinonychuses in. Effectively that requires errata for every one of these books.
Those books may mention the deinonychus, but do any of them actually specify its size? I don't think that they actually give its stats. It would be pretty dumb to reprint an monster found right in the Monster Manual.

Regardless, there's still an increase in size from velociraptor to deinonychus to megaraptor to tyrannosaurus. It's just a matter of where to draw the line between a big Medium and a little Large, and between a big Large and a little Huge. "Clawfoot", the Eberron Campaign Setting book tells us, is the Common word for velociraptors. Yet, confusingly, my research* indicates that the D&D versions of both the clawfoot and the deinonychus are scaled up from the actual extinct species they're supposed to represent. The D&D deinonychus weighs 600 pounds -- it's just a question of what size category to put it in -- but the real thing reportedly had a maximum weight of 161 pounds, and was clearly Medium. And velociraptors were much smaller than Jurassic Park would have us believe, at no more than 33 pounds -- they were Small! And both were quite possibly feathered. :smallwink:

*"Research" here meaning "looking things up on Wikipedia".

hamishspence
2008-04-12, 04:28 PM
True, D&D dinosaurs do not match up in size to real world ones. However Utahraptor, the model for megaraptor dinos, was 21 ft long, 7 or 8 ft tall, and more than half a ton in weight.

Older dino books I have put deinonychus as up to 13 ft long and velociraptors as up to 6 ft long.

Ti-khana deinonychuses in Fiend Folio and Serpent Kingdoms were intended to be ridden by yuan-ti, which means they need to be large. Arms and Equipment Guide also listed them as large.

With clawfoot/deinonychus/megaraptor, at least we have steeds for Small, Large, and Medium characters. And Dungeon magazines have also had large deinnychuses, I think.

True, the Huge size is a bit cluttered, with megaraptor, T-rex, Allosaur, Ceratosaur. But it seems a bit odd, to re-size everything down. Is the clawfoot likely to get the same errata?

Aquillion
2008-04-12, 04:52 PM
Well, that's one more stupid thing to add to the list of stupid things in the BoED.I would just ask your DM to houserule it as an error. The way it's worded strongly implies that the person who wrote the feat simply forgot that blink dogs not always lawful good.