PDA

View Full Version : Duskblade or Psi Warrior

BadJuJu
2008-04-10, 11:15 AM
We are starting a new game in a few weeks, and I have narrowed my choices to Duskblade or Psi Warrior. 32 point buy, starting at level one. No PrC idea yet, though if I go Psi Warrior, the Alocator(sp) looks kinda fun. Any suggestions?

Person_Man
2008-04-10, 11:26 AM
It's a matter of style. But I prefer Psychic Warrior. You get bonus feats and plenty of interesting powers. (Note: Expanded Knowledge is your best friend).

Duskblade is pretty much limited to "I hit stuff, but with magic."

Also, Psy Warrior doesn't really need a PrC, although you might want a 1 level dip in Pyrokineticist for the Fire Lash.

I would stay away from Elocater (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/psionicElocater.html). Dodge, Mobility, and Spring Attack are a huge waste of feats. They don't get full power progression. And its class abilities are pretty mediocre.

lord_khaine
2008-04-10, 11:31 AM
Psi warrior is fun enough to be taken alone, but if you want a prestice class then i would rather recomend the Illithid slayer.

BadJuJu
2008-04-10, 11:33 AM
Thanks. I like Warmind, but I dont really dig starting my whople progression over on a new list.

SadisticFishing
2008-04-10, 11:39 AM
Slayer and/or Sacred Mind are both very good PsyWar prestige classes. If you like the melee bit more than the casting, Psychic Weapon Master is pretty solid too.

Duskblade is fun if you want to hit things, Psychic Warrior is far more versatile. I like both a lot.

BadJuJu
2008-04-10, 11:41 AM
Slayer and/or Sacred Mind are both very good PsyWar prestige classes. If you like the melee bit more than the casting, Psychic Weapon Master is pretty solid too.

Duskblade is fun if you want to hit things, Psychic Warrior is far more versatile. I like both a lot.

Dont know what Sacred MInd or Psychic Weapon Master are.

SadisticFishing
2008-04-10, 11:47 AM
Sacred Mind is in Lords of madness, full BAB 6 level prestige class, 5/6 power progression - gives you some pretty cool abilities, but I'll be damned if I can remember what they are.

Psychic Weapon Master is http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040827d.

Draz74
2008-04-10, 12:16 PM
Seconding what others have said: these two classes are pretty equal, but I think Psychic Warrior is more fun and flexible.

I would stay away from Elocater (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/psionicElocater.html). Dodge, Mobility, and Spring Attack are a huge waste of feats. They don't get full power progression. And its class abilities are pretty mediocre.

Yeah, Elocator is fun, but it's not really powerful.

Except if you're trying to build a skill monkey in an SRD-only game. Then I think Rogue 4/Psion 2/Elocator X is about the best build you can do. :smallsmile:

BadJuJu
2008-04-10, 01:39 PM
So, whats a good choice for powers and feats at first level?

CockroachTeaParty
2008-04-10, 01:46 PM
I sort of wish Psychic Warrior had full BAB progression, as it would really help out at low levels. From mid to high level's it's not that big of a deal, but playing one at low levels can be tough.

The Mormegil
2008-04-10, 02:22 PM
I would say Duskblade for my untainted love of the arcane... but... I have to admit PsiWar is better.

For the powers, I think that you have got no real options, because limited duration is a bad hing at ECL 1... I'd go with a minutes power like Force Screen or Expansion (pretty sure they ARE in minutes... right?).

Can somebody tell us about Sacred Mind a bit more, anyway?

Person_Man
2008-04-10, 02:32 PM
So, whats a good choice for powers and feats at first level?

For race, I suggest Elan or Human. Elan is a better tank. Humans get a bonus feat and Skills.

For your level 1 power, I'd suggest Vigor (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/psionicPowersQtoW.html#vigor).

Feats depend on what you want to do. There are all sorts of combos out there. For battlefield control, pick up Combat Reflexes and Stand Still or Hold the Line. For a lead in to King of Smack (Claws of the Beast abuse) take Combat Expertise + Dodge + Karmic Strike. For mobility, take Speed of Thought and Psionic Charge. And eventually, every psionic character needs Overchannel.

BadJuJu
2008-04-10, 02:45 PM
So, what is this King of Smack? I was thinking of Speed of Thought, Dodge, and one other. Vigor was my second choice to Claws of the Beast or Bite of the Wolf.

TheThan
2008-04-10, 03:02 PM
I love the duskblade, but psychic warriors are just cooler.

I mean, any class that lets you walk on walls (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/wallWalker.htm) drips with coolness.

martyboy74
2008-04-10, 03:18 PM
Any class can do that with the right feat (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#upTheWalls), just not for as long.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-10, 03:49 PM
Also, remember this: Whatever you do, if you pick a Psywar, get Ego Whip from the Psion list as soon as possible. It's an absolutely wondrous attack power, which will help when you can't full attack your opponent.

Person_Man
2008-04-10, 03:50 PM
So, what is this King of Smack?

Its a very old combo (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=227556) with many variations. Basically:

Claws of the Beast: Scaled damage, dependant on manifester level and size.

Overchannel: Increases manifester level.

Claws of the Vampire: Heals you 50% of the damage you deal with your claws.

Improved Natural Attack: Increases your virtual size by one step for a specific natural weapon (ie, your claws).

Warshaper: One level dip in this prestige class increases your virtual size by one step for dealing damage with all natural weapons.

Expansion: Increases your actual size by two steps.

Metamorphosis: Psionic Polymorph. You can use it to increase your size further.

Combat Reflexes + Karmic Strike: Whenever an enemy hits you, you get an attack of opportunity.

Robilar's Gambit: Whenever enemy swings at you, you get an attack of opportunity.

At this point, you can see how it works. You get really big. Your claws deal a ton of damage (generally around 12d6ish+). You heal half of the damage you deal. Anytime someone attacks you, they risk counter attacks, which heal you.

The down side is that the combo doesn't really kick in until mid-high levels. And if you use this combo, you'll be an unstoppable monster in melee combat. So your DM will throw a lot of ranged attacks, battlefield control, traps, and other stuff at you, which you might not have much of a defense against.

zaei
2008-04-10, 04:46 PM
Another vote for PsyWar here. I'm playing one currently, focused on Claws of the Beast. As has been mentioned, it's pretty crazy.

FlyMolo
2008-04-10, 05:19 PM
We are starting a new game in a few weeks, and I have narrowed my choices to Duskblade or Psi Warrior. 32 point buy, starting at level one. No PrC idea yet, though if I go Psi Warrior, the Alocator(sp) looks kinda fun. Any suggestions?

PsyWar. In a minute. You can get huge, crush things, etc etc. More flexible. And the Elocator looks fun, but you want War Mind. You do have to restart your pp progression, which sucks, but talk to your DM. They should stack, not restart.

War Mind is good mostly because of sweeping strike and the psionic rage you get. With expansion, you can lock down a battlefield just by hitting everything on it repeatedly, no trip required.

Chronos
2008-04-10, 07:03 PM
You do have to restart your pp progression, which sucks, but talk to your DM. They should stack, not restart. The power points stack, and you have all the powers you know from both sides, but your manifester level does not stack, nor does the maximum level of power you can know.