PDA

View Full Version : Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War

Mirrinus
2008-04-10, 01:48 PM
So, how many people have played this gem of a game for the SNES? Considered by many fans to be the best game of the Fire Emblem series, Fire Emblem 4 boasted all sorts of qualities that were lacking in the later games on consoles other than the SNES. Its storyline was rather epic, spanning two generations set 15 years apart, with an event in the middle that completely took me by surprise and altered my view of the game immensely. The game has quite a big of depth for a SNES game, such as the intricate inheritance system, the absolutely enormous chapter maps, completely lack of limits on the number of characters you can field, and a storyline that felt like it took some things a bit too far for a Nintendo console game for the SNES. Oh, and the actual fights...just because saving was a lot easier in this game doesn't mean the game wasn't ridiculously hard at many points, mostly due to the sheer number of organized groups of enemies (with excellent stats).

Anyway, if anyone here has played the game, I've got a few questions to ask:
Would you say that Claude and Sylvia are really long-lost brother and sister?
What are your favorite pairings in the game? (actually relevant gameplay-wise because it determines units in the later generation)
How awesome are the game-breaking legendary weapons?
Are any characters unusable? (other than Corple and whoever his non-inheritance counterpart is)
Cuan and Oifaye - Jeigan characters or not?
Just what do you think of Archbishop Manfloy's plot? You know the one.
Would you consider Lord Alvis to be a villain or a tragic figure being used by Manfloy?

Oh, and as a final thought, would you say that the best games of many series were all on the SNES? Final Fantasy VI, Super Metroid, Seiken Densetsu 3, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (debatable), Kirby Super Star, Chrono Trigger, Tales of Phantasia, and of course, Fire Emblem 4. Just a thought...

Cainen
2008-04-10, 02:01 PM
1) Yes. Blagi blood says enough.
2) Levin/Fury. You know why.
3) They're game-breaking. They can't be awesome.
4) Arden. It's virtually impossible to implement him into an offensive push, and if your castle is under siege you are doing it wrong.
5) No. Too useful for that.
6) No better than any other plot I've seen, really.
7) More of a tragic figure, but that doesn't change the part where he murdered most of the characters.

So many good ideas, such terrible implementation, and such a total disregard for challenge; there is little to no point in playing a strategy game if the AI has no chance to rout you whatsoever, especially if the AI is the only thing you can play.

Also, yes - but most of the listed series I consider overrated. I agree with most of your listings(sans ToP, which is outdone pretty sorely no matter how you want to slice it), but that doesn't mean that I'd consider them good. Or passable, as it may be.

obvious pun
2008-04-10, 08:31 PM
Oh, and as a final thought, would you say that the best games of many series were all on the SNES? Final Fantasy VI, Super Metroid, Seiken Densetsu 3, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (debatable), Kirby Super Star, Chrono Trigger, Tales of Phantasia, and of course, Fire Emblem 4. Just a thought...

Yes, I would say so! But alas, I may never get to play them. The day when FFVI and SMRPG come to the Virtual Console will be a memorable day for many Uber Nintendo Fanboys/girls. But still, they might never come... sniffle... *Sad Mallow music plays in head, rain starts pouring down*

Raroy
2008-04-11, 11:31 PM
I recently started playing it again.

Man the battle's are long. It's not too hard but you need proceed so slowly. I'll feel a sense of accomplishment as soon as I actually get somewhere.

wyattmtthws
2008-06-13, 09:54 PM
Yeah I like this game...actually this is an adventure game, like Legend of Zelda...

Hmm...this post seems to be a year ago, hope you hit me back guys!

wyattmtthws
2008-06-13, 09:56 PM
I recently started playing it again.

Man the battle's are long. It's not too hard but you need proceed so slowly. I'll feel a sense of accomplishment as soon as I actually get somewhere.

yes that's correct...you need a lot of patience but once you go to another place it will be so satisfying! I think that rocks!

Mando Knight
2008-06-16, 08:14 AM
Yeah I like this game...actually this is an adventure game, like Legend of Zelda...

Nay, it's a Role-Playing/Turn-Based-Tactics game... like D&D mixed with a JRPG... and no resurrection spells (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FinalDeath)... except for #4, which has an extremely-rare-and-valuable one-use staff (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TooAwesomeToUse) that will raise one fallen ally...

Geno9999
2008-06-23, 07:59 AM
Yes, I would say so! But alas, I may never get to play them. The day when FFVI and SMRPG come to the Virtual Console will be a memorable day for many Uber Nintendo Fanboys/girls. But still, they might never come... sniffle... *Sad Mallow music plays in head, rain starts pouring down*
*plays "Beware of Forest Mushrooms" in memory of Geno*
I thought FFIV was one of the better FF games. Luckily, It's being completely remade for the DS, Same story, Better graphics, new ways the bosses can kick your rear and new abilities to give to your party.

Sequinox
2008-06-30, 10:06 PM
If only I could read japanese I would have beaten every FE game out by now...

Geno9999
2008-07-01, 08:28 AM
Hopefully, FE 11 will come to America (and other English speaking peoples). Because that is a remake of FE 1. In other words... MARTH, MARTH, MARTH!

Oh and it's for the DS.