PDA

View Full Version : break out words from the game table?

elliott20
2008-04-10, 03:05 PM
What phrases/sayings/words has ever escaped from the gaming table into your group of friend's everyday use?

for me, that word was vah-jay-jay back in highschool. Lesson here? avoid female anatomy talk at a table full of teenage boys. And if you fail to do so, do not use a substitute word, as regardless of the word, it will be remembered for immortality.

next time, use a celebrities name instead. i.e. "Her 'Lucy Liu'", "His 'Ben Franklin'".

Burley
2008-04-10, 03:28 PM
Actually, it's funny, since my friends and I look more like stereotypical frat-boys than stereotypical gamers. But, yeah...we do it constantly.
My best friend and I went camping. We tried to convince everybody else that we needed to set up night watch. The looks when I said I couldn't take middle watch cause I'm a caster. Priceless.
Also, whenever we go out and some Smokin' Hot Betty walks by, instead of saying, "Hey, guys, look." I find myself saying, "Hey, guys. Spot Checks."
It's usually to be funny, but sometimes it just slips out. Like the other day, my girlfriend and I were making dinner, and I said "Produce Flame." I didn't even realize I had said it until she asked what the heck I was talkin' about.

FlyMolo
2008-04-10, 05:08 PM
Actually, it's funny, since my friends and I look more like stereotypical frat-boys than stereotypical gamers. But, yeah...we do it constantly.
My best friend and I went camping. We tried to convince everybody else that we needed to set up night watch. The looks when I said I couldn't take middle watch cause I'm a caster. Priceless.
Also, whenever we go out and some Smokin' Hot Betty walks by, instead of saying, "Hey, guys, look." I find myself saying, "Hey, guys. Spot Checks."
It's usually to be funny, but sometimes it just slips out. Like the other day, my girlfriend and I were making dinner, and I said "Produce Flame." I didn't even realize I had said it until she asked what the heck I was talkin' about.

That is amazingly funny. Well done.

haha, spot checks.

Frosty
2008-04-10, 05:17 PM
The solution obviously is to get your girlfriend hooked on DnD. Have a sample level 1 Elven Druid statted up for her.

Glawackus
2008-04-10, 06:09 PM
About to go into a creepy shack that seems to be at the center of a plague targeting elves that's spreading across the land.

Friend: "Hey, you go in."
DM: "Do you go in?"
Me: "----, no! I'm a half-elf! That Elven Blood thing on the character sheet? That works both ways, you know!"
Friend: "JUST GO IN, MIKE!"
Friend 2: "You're not man enough to go in!"
Me: "I'm half-elf! That's elf enough to die!"

The phrase 'elf enough' quickly replaced 'man enough'. :smalltongue:

Stormcrow
2008-04-10, 07:23 PM
My sister played a very masculine female knight for a few years there and now whenever we talk about effeminite men or masculine women we say he/she is "a bit she-knight"

Swooper
2008-04-10, 08:30 PM
That one really cracked me up.

Maybe it's the half-past-two-in-the-morning factor, but I can't remember anything else my group uses, except this one. The quote goes: "They should be able to braid it aaaall together!" The quote was originally about dwarven females, but has since been ripped out of context. :smalltongue: (No, I'm not going to explain how it came up in the game >_<)

Lupy
2008-04-10, 08:38 PM
I make alot of roleplaying references. Like, I have a friend who's mostly a good guy, but he steals stuff (like cafeteria food, not rubys and gold), and whenever I see him theiving I say, "Your gunna make me fall man!" (I am universally accepted as the party Paladin.) Or I don't say something perverted or partake in such a discussion I go "made my will save." And in dodgeball I usually shout "Oh! That's a natural 20 on a fort save!" So on and so forth... (Smite Girltheif!)

Ward.
2008-04-10, 08:46 PM
Nice idea for a thread.

My story goes like this, I have a blonde female friend that has "elfin" features and reminds me so much of link every time she wears this short green dress.

So now when ever she does something skillfully I pretty much have to point out that it was only because of her +10 racial bonus (She's not familiar with DnD so I can pretty much make stuff up on the spot).

senrath
2008-04-10, 08:47 PM
I'm the DM for my group, and I often threaten to "wrath" my friends in real life when they're being annoying :P

Hal
2008-04-10, 09:35 PM
I taught freshman chemistry labs, and one semester one of my students was particularly geeky. Liked to talk about going to ren fairs and so forth.

One day she came in with a prominent scar on her forehead. When I asked her about it, she said that she'd been practicing stage combat for a ren fair and she'd had a broadsword fall on her head.

"Oh man! Did you at least make your reflex save?"

She started cracking up. The rest of my class looked at me like I was suddenly growing antennae.

skywalker
2008-04-10, 10:30 PM
Whenever somebody screws anything up, we say "ooh, natural one..."

That gets annoying when people get shot down by girls...

Decoy69
2008-04-10, 10:58 PM
"Strength Check to burst enclosure." Reasons are best left vague, but it involved uses of a gnome, half ogre, and the Enlarge Person spell...

hylian chozo
2008-04-10, 11:10 PM
One of my friends has a tendency to yell "For XP!" when doing something difficult.

drengnikrafe
2008-04-10, 11:33 PM
I have a tendancy to complain a lot in the mornings when I encounter something difficult and I didn't get enough sleep that "I couldn't get my full 8 hours of sleep, and now I can't cast my spells today." And then when I finally DO get a full 8 hours, I note that my food had prestedigitation cast on it any time I'm eating, and confuse people by not speaking for awhile, and telling them later it was my silent image. That, and every time I squeeze through a crowd, I yell for a tumble check.

Good times.

Collin152
2008-04-10, 11:41 PM
I use my awesome Escape Artist skills to get through crowds.
Tumbling tends to attract more attention, and they never make their attacks of opportunity anyways.

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-04-10, 11:43 PM
Starting to sing the song "That's Amore" whenever my fellow gamers want to mock my strange luck.

Story:
We were on the third mission of a spycraft game, something about stopping some terrorists from shooting up some part of Italy. At this point in the campaign, my faceman was starting to crack a little. In mission 1, he had managed to lose a grappling belt tug of war against a woman in high heels (how many times I fumbled those rolls, I have no idea). He was stabbed to near death by her, and used for cover in a firefight. In mission 2, he planned the team's perfect assassination op. However, a random series of 3 natural 20's resulted in him getting gut shot with an assault rifle, through a bulletproof helecopter, to 1 wound point away from death. It was the only injury on the team. Now we come back to mission 3. The wheelman is driving us in pursuit of the van full of lunatics, the fixer and the soldier are popping shots off at them, the hacker is trying not to pee himself, and my face is just frozen in his seat. As we are passing our targets, the wheelman announces that he cranks music in the car to set an appropriate cinamatic mood. The GM announces that said music is "That's Amore", and the faceman snaps (I'm inspired by the song). As our car passes the other, the face moons them (rolls a goadlike action, nat 20) through the bullet proof window. All enemy fire is suddenly directed at his lily white hindqauters. The fixer (being the awesome role player that she was) announced a penalty on her next attack from being momentarily blinded by bum glare, and fumbled. The soldier is unaffected, and takes out the guy about to shoot us with a rocket. The GM rules that the opposing driver suffers the same effect as our fixer on his drive check though, and plows into a parked car. What should have been a drawn out gunfight/chase scene, was ended in less than a minute (in game) by my alter ego's backside. :smallbiggrin:

Creeps
2008-04-11, 01:14 AM
"You can't microwave luck, John."

and

"When ya gonna take it in the shooter, Joe?"

and every line of Spaceballs...ever. If there's a pause in a game, it's ALWAYS Spaceballs quotes, and these have found their way into our common parlance.

AslanCross
2008-04-11, 01:21 AM
I play D&D with my students. Most of them are girls, but they hang out with these two hulking guys who are nonetheless geeks. (It's a science high school. Everyone is geeky whether they admit it or not.) These two guys like...dancing.
Like gigolos. In public. And it's kind of painful when they do that just to freak us out.

Whenever they do that, everyone goes "OMG 2d6 WIS DAMAGE!!!"

One of them wanted to join the group as a half-orc bard with Perform (Exotic Dance). I flat out told him that the group was full. (It really was.)

Oh, another: HIPS = Hide in Plain Sight. The rogue was a half-elf girl who was more attractive than she would care to admit, much like her player. Despite being an introvert geek girl, she has a mob of male and lesbian stalkers, none of which she likes.
Anyway, she'd originally wanted to become a Shadowdancer, so she took a few ranks in Perform (Dance).
That led to some awkward comments, both at the table and real life:

<Ranger> She wants to use her Shadowdancer HIPS for stealth.
<Me> ...you mean like Shakira?

<Me> Anybody seen her?
<Players> She's using her HIPS again, sir.
<Me> ...what? Oh.

TheThan
2008-04-11, 02:01 AM
whenever I need to look for something that I can't find, and someone points out where it is. I usually mumble something about failing my spot check.

Sometimes it happens the other way around and i say something about the other person failing their spot check.

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-11, 02:24 AM
I will occasionally refer to characters in movies and anime as characters in games I have run. It doesn't help that I recycle names like nobody's business. Perhaps I take some inspiration from CLAMP in that regard.

Nero24200
2008-04-11, 04:40 AM
We once had a friend who was trying to become a shadowdancer, and he always failed to do just about anything. Whenever he made an attack roll, natural 1, whenever he tried to hide from someone, they would always get higher on the spot check (even with no ranks). So he takes his shadowdancer levels, and when he uses HIPS, it actually works. Since then we have kept saying "It's all in the hips!" (similier to how a certain character from Happy Gilmore says it).

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-11, 04:52 AM
Here are a few from a WoD game. I think they are better when quoted loudly, and completely out of context:

"How did you get the motorcycle on top of the 5/3 building?"

"So we put him into the magical space refrigerator . . . " I like using this in lieu of "and then they made me their chief"

Freshmeat
2008-04-11, 05:07 AM
"Sorry, I ran into a random encounter" is an acceptable excuse for turning up late.

Some of my friends also had a DM once who had the tendency to punish a particularly stupid player by invoking 'the Drakar' (a Viking longship).
The player in question was going to get the entire party killed? The Drakar comes out of nowhere and crushes him dead.
The player is about destroy the MacGuffin for no apparent reason? The Drakar bursts through the wall and impales/crushes him.
The player is about to set the church (!) on fire in an attempt to cause a distraction, even though it's the exact same church that we needed to infiltrate in order to find an important, well-guarded item?
The Drakar appears out of thin air and falls on top of him!

So 'Drakar!' is sometimes used in our group as a way of telling someone 'your idea is irredeemably stupid'.

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-11, 05:13 AM
hmmm, I used that for awhile after I was mugged a few years back to explain the scar across my face.

"Um, random encounter, nothing to worry about."

And I suppose it was at that. At least, it didn't seem like a plot point encounter to me.

Psiwave
2008-04-11, 06:41 AM
I'm currently on something of a break from RP as none of my current friends are interested (outside of computer games) however I have got them to the stage where when they describe anything that even slightly exceeds normal standard it gets a plus modifier, for example socks of unworldy stench +4.

elliott20
2008-04-11, 09:37 AM
back when diablo 1 was just getting popular, this one guy back school I knew really got into. And being the pyromaniac that he was (seriously, guy had problems), he would sometimes walk around, light a match and flick at someone whilst muttering "firebolt" to himself.

it got to the point that eventually the school admins and his parents forced him to go to counselling about it after he almost burnt down a food vendor kiosk at a school event.

Ravyn
2008-04-12, 04:22 AM
The problem is getting my group--any of my groups--to stop, I think.

We have a tendency to describe most situations in terms of gaming--including, since every single one of my groups has at least two members in common with almost all of the others, a lot of cross-pollination across systems (my personal favorite being the time one of the two DMs in my D&D group planted a nice big shout-out to the Soggy Waffle Incident in my Exalted game--particularly amusing because despite the three-person overlap between the two groups, he'd only heard about the Incident secondhand). This becomes particularly common while watching anime, though it tends to apply to almost everything.

FlyMolo
2008-04-12, 02:48 PM
"Sorry, I ran into a random encounter" is an acceptable excuse for turning up late.

Some of my friends also had a DM once who had the tendency to punish a particularly stupid player by invoking 'the Drakar' (a Viking longship).
The player in question was going to get the entire party killed? The Drakar comes out of nowhere and crushes him dead.
The player is about destroy the MacGuffin for no apparent reason? The Drakar bursts through the wall and impales/crushes him.
The player is about to set the church (!) on fire in an attempt to cause a distraction, even though it's the exact same church that we needed to infiltrate in order to find an important, well-guarded item?
The Drakar appears out of thin air and falls on top of him!

So 'Drakar!' is sometimes used in our group as a way of telling someone 'your idea is irredeemably stupid'.

this happened in my game once. But it was an airship, and it was called the oddsibodskin. And he was an annoying player.

mikeejimbo
2008-04-12, 02:59 PM
I once went to a vendor that was selling drinks at a high school football game, but they were closed and I was really thirsty, so I asked them to sell me a drink anyway. They ended up giving me a free one.

I told my friends it was a natural 20 on a diplomacy roll.

Squash Monster
2008-04-12, 02:59 PM
My friends are largely 4channers, so phrases like "lol wut?" end up in day to day conversation. Through D&D, that one managed to get perverted into "lolth wut?"

Other than that, just the usual "roll initiative" stuff.