PDA

View Full Version : Iron Kingdoms Question

BRC
2008-04-10, 05:10 PM
I'm thinking about trying out Iron Kingdoms having heard good things about it (And being a sucker for steampunk). However, the Character Guide (Which appears to be the standard rules book) is $65 on Amazon, which is a lot of money, and it may not have everything I would need to run a game. so my questions are
1) is there anywhere I can get Iron Kingdoms cheaper?
2) Can you run a game with just the Character Guide, or do I need other books too?

Nebo_
2008-04-10, 05:24 PM
$65 is a good price. Privateer Press also makes Warmachine, the miniatures game. They make a lot more money from that, so they don't print the D&D books very often. Unfortunately for us, that means they cost a lot. I'd recommend getting the World Guide and the Character Guide; you can run a game with only the character guide, but there's so much more detail in the World Guide that its worth while getting. Only get Liber Mechanika if you're keen on making your own Mechanikal items.

You have chosen well. IK is one of the best campaign settings out there.

BRC
2008-04-10, 05:26 PM
$65 is a good price. Privateer Press also makes Warmachine, the miniatures game. They make a lot more money from that, so they don't print the D&D books very often. Unfortunately for us, that means they cost a lot. I'd recommend getting the World Guide and the Character Guide. Only get Liber Mechanika if you're keen on making your own Mechanikal items.

You have chosen well. IK is one of the best campaign settings out there.
Problem, that is alot of cash I don't have, I might be able to get the $65, but the World guide will add more on there.

Buy.com has it for under fourty bucks, but I'm not sure I trust them.
EDIT: yah. amazon has the world guide for $100 at the cheapest, Buy.com has both for $27.10 each, but I'mnot sure I trust it.
Nevermind, It's out of stock there. Looks like Amazon is it, but I don't have the money
*Sigh* ah well

Nebo_
2008-04-10, 05:37 PM
Problem, that is alot of cash I don't have, I might be able to get the $65, but the World guide will add more on there.

Buy.com has it for under fourty bucks, but I'm not sure I trust them.
EDIT: yah. amazon has the world guide for $100 at the cheapest, Buy.com has both for $27.10 each, but I'mnot sure I trust it.

That sounds dodgy. I wouldn't get it from buy.com. It's up to you how you spend your money, but IK is worth the cost.

BRC
2008-04-10, 05:48 PM
but IK is worth the cost.
Maybe I'll get the character guide and just work with that. I'm sure the world guide is great but It's simply WAY out of my price range.
now all I need is 70 bucks :smallfrown:

Nebo_
2008-04-10, 05:56 PM
Maybe I'll get the character guide and just work with that. I'm sure the world guide is great but It's simply WAY out of my price range.
now all I need is 70 bucks :smallfrown:

Just be glad you're not buying Liber Mechanika. Last I heard, it was $300 on Amazon.

BRC
2008-04-10, 06:09 PM
Hrmm, it looks like they actually have some nifty free stuff on their website, I may use that, stick it onto standard DnD rules, and try that! at least while I'm getting the money together for the Character Guide

Sleet
2008-04-10, 06:28 PM
Is it available in PDF from DriveThruRPG?

Nebo_
2008-04-10, 08:32 PM
A quick search reveals that it is not. It would be great if PP did release the IK setting books in PDF form, since they seem so reluctant to print any more.

To anyone reading this thread, I cannot stress enough how incredibly awesome the Iron Kingdoms campaign setting is.

Angel in Black
2008-04-10, 08:51 PM
A quick search reveals that it is not. It would be great if PP did release the IK setting books in PDF form, since they seem so reluctant to print any more.

To anyone reading this thread, I cannot stress enough how incredibly awesome the Iron Kingdoms campaign setting is.

Neither can I. This setting really IS all that and a bag of chips. If you like your chips with steam-belching war machines controlled by casters in power armor. Or wild west style gunplay. Or anything, really, there's a lot you can do with IK.

mikeejimbo
2008-04-10, 09:26 PM
Dang it, now I want to play Iron Kingdoms.

Randalor
2008-04-10, 09:37 PM
Yeah, it's a really good setting, with a rather interesting *IMO, anyways* way of dealing with some of the more unbalanced spells and cheese. Nothing like being able to teleport, as long as you don't mind the "minor" chance of... SOMETHING coming through the other end with you. Plus it has guns and steam armor. Nuff said.

Edit: Wait, my books are worth HOW MUCH? No, seriously, is the Libre Mechanica really worth that much?

Nebo_
2008-04-10, 10:29 PM
Wait, my books are worth HOW MUCH? No, seriously, is the Libre Mechanica really worth that much?

It is according to this (http://www.privateerpressforums.com/index.php?showtopic=142014) thread.

Attilargh
2008-04-11, 01:05 AM
$300? What. Over here it's a 28€, and that's only if I insist on buying it the expensive way instead of an easy, reliable and cheap one. Is there seriously no other store than Amazon you could look into?

The Guides cost me 100€ back when I bought 'em. I haven't managed to play a single game, and still think they were totally worth it. It's the awesomest setting ever.

Rutee
2008-04-11, 01:21 AM
While I agree that Iron Kingdoms is awesome and a half, if Bloody Red Commie has taken to the idea of playing Steam Punk on its own, IK works awesome for that, with you running a custom world too.

Though my opinion may be suspect. I heard "Gish Gunner", effectively, and bought it based on that >.>

TheThan
2008-04-11, 02:19 AM
yeah, Iron Kingdoms is freaking awesome.

I figured this out just from reading the warmachine prime rulebook.

Nebo_
2008-04-11, 02:26 AM
yeah, Iron Kingdoms is freaking awesome.

I figured this out just from reading the warmachine prime rulebook.

Indeed, I've just started building a Khadoran army. I got a Winterguard mortar crew yesterday. :D

Privateer Press produces pure win.

caden_varn
2008-04-11, 05:38 AM
Iron Kingdoms is indeed a fine game. From a quick look at free downloads, you can probably get a flavour of the game.

You'll be able to play just fine with just the character guide. The World guide is very useful for flavour and adventure hooks, but not needed - the character guide has enough information about the world to get you going.