PDA

View Full Version : HALO & AMEN threads in The Town

Admiral_Kelly
2008-04-10, 05:12 PM
So what's going on with that?

AmberVael
2008-04-10, 05:30 PM
You'll notice that the HALO, AMEN and Navy threads have been moved to town. We've decided that these are not games, structured or otherwise, but merely free-form roleplaying, and they would be better served in this forum. Thank you.

Just in case you didn't see the specific post.
I also PMed them about their decision and I'd be willing to share the conversation here, but as it is their reply that is most pertinent to your actual question, I'll let Roland post it if he feels so inclined.

Admiral_Kelly
2008-04-10, 05:36 PM
That makes sense and that is the reason I figured.

While we are on this issue; going back through the archives I found alot of deleted threads. This is not fair; I have alot of my characters' histories rooted in the Town and I would rather not see any of that get deleted.

Bookman
2008-04-10, 06:20 PM
That makes sense and that is the reason I figured.

While we are on this issue; going back through the archives I found alot of deleted threads. This is not fair; I have alot of my characters' histories rooted in the Town and I would rather not see any of that get deleted.

IIRC all Town/SMBG threads are "purged" after a certain period of time. (two months maybe?) It's done to help with server load. The best option I could tell you is to save everything on your hard drive as well.

AmberVael
2008-04-10, 06:42 PM
IIRC all Town/SMBG threads are "purged" after a certain period of time. (two months maybe?) It's done to help with server load. The best option I could tell you is to save everything on your hard drive as well.

No, actually, they weren't purged. They were just hidden automatically. You could view all the old threads by changing the sorting method at the bottom of the appropriate forum page.

Zeb The Troll
2008-04-11, 01:47 AM
Right. Only non-structured SMBG threads are purged after 30 days. Older stuff just isn't displayed by default in other forums.

Admiral_Kelly
2008-04-11, 05:10 AM
Well, okay then. So long as I can dig up the threads I am fine with that.

Still; saving them to hard drive is probably the best option.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-04-12, 10:11 AM
Still; saving them to hard drive is probably the best option.
Always a sensible idea when it comes to content you always need access to.

sheepofoblivion
2008-04-12, 05:14 PM
wait.... Why were they in structured games in the first place???
Amen started in the Town, went to structured games, and is now back in the town (along with HALO and Navy)

Gorbash Kazdar
2008-04-12, 05:20 PM
wait.... Why were they in structured games in the first place???
Amen started in the Town, went to structured games, and is now back in the town (along with HALO and Navy)
Initially they were moved to Structured Games because the Town had a certain "universe" it was set in that those threads weren't. This was reevaluated recently and they were moved back, since it was decided the Town is the correct forum for that style of free-form RP in general, and the threads in question didn't meet the criteria set for Structured Games.

Mr. Moon
2008-04-12, 08:24 PM
... Any of you guys remember the first time AMEN moved to the Town? Hands up, people. In the air where I can see 'em.

If you can recall that, then you can also recall that it ended... painfully. It was unanimously decided that AMEN is Structured, on a different universe than the Town is, let alone the argument on whether or not we should have been allowed in in the first place. Heck, even saying we're structured to begin with is a stretch.

I'm not saying that the mods made a bad decision here, but what I am saying is if anything, AMEN and HALO belong in PBP, if you want to look at it that way. In my opinion, as a veteran member of AMEN, Structured Games really is the best place for us.

Haruki-kun
2008-04-12, 09:41 PM
... Any of you guys remember the first time AMEN moved to the Town? Hands up, people. In the air where I can see 'em.

If you can recall that, then you can also recall that it ended... painfully. It was unanimously decided that AMEN is Structured, on a different universe than the Town is, let alone the argument on whether or not we should have been allowed in in the first place. Heck, even saying we're structured to begin with is a stretch.

I'm not saying that the mods made a bad decision here, but what I am saying is if anything, AMEN and HALO belong in PBP, if you want to look at it that way. In my opinion, as a veteran member of AMEN, Structured Games really is the best place for us.

I think it's Structured simply because it keeps them out of the way in SMBG, but in The Town it gets in the way of The Town itself, whereas in Structured it gets in no one's way. But I guess if that's what they decided. 's long as we don't have to rule ourselves by The Town's universe.

Admiral_Kelly
2008-04-12, 09:49 PM
Speaking of the Town; we could use a couple of moderators for the section as well as a rules update.

Uncle Festy
2008-04-13, 06:57 AM
Yeah.
I'm pretty much fine with the move as long as they add an addendum to the Town laws that AMEN, HALO, and LAW are exempt from all rules and laws as long as they are in the base (aka not in the streets or in another "Town" thread).

Zeb The Troll
2008-04-14, 01:37 AM
I'm not saying that the mods made a bad decision here, but what I am saying is if anything, AMEN and HALO belong in PBP, if you want to look at it that way. In my opinion, as a veteran member of AMEN, Structured Games really is the best place for us.The problem with putting them in PbP is that PbP forums are designed for games that have a Game Master in control and a fixed number of players. This isn't the case with these groups.

As previously mentioned, they are not games at all, let alone structured games. The reason they were put there before is so that you wouldn't have your threads deleted after 30 days allowing people to go back and reference previous RP.

While not a perfect match, because of the Town 'verse, I'm inclined to believe the right decision was made here. Though I agree that Uncle Festy is right in that these groups shouldn't be required to follow normal Town rules while participating in threads not designated as part of the Town universe.

Castaras
2008-04-14, 07:38 AM
Veteren AMEN member here. *should go and check the thread really*

I'll be honest. AMEN didn't really fit in SMBG. And didn't really fit in Structured.

Town is a reasonable place for it, but recently it's kinda got more Random Bantery than how it was before(the golden age of AMEN for me. Much more fun than how it is now). If anything, I'd say AMEN could be Friendly Banter as well as Town. Either would do though.

*shrugs* Just my 2 cp.

Haruki-kun
2008-04-14, 08:11 AM
Town is a reasonable place for it, but recently it's kinda got more Random Bantery than how it was before(the golden age of AMEN for me. Much more fun than how it is now). If anything, I'd say AMEN could be Friendly Banter as well as Town. Either would do though.

*shrugs* Just my 2 cp.

:smallfrown: We're working on it.

banjo1985
2008-04-14, 10:01 AM
I can't really comment on AMEN, but from my experience of HALO I'd say it's now in completely the right place. It's more of a roleplaying soap opera than anything else, and suits the town better than structured games.

Of course it nows means I have yet another subforum to check...

Bayar
2008-04-14, 11:23 AM
at least look on the bright side...the town might revive now. It was almost dead, with only a couple of players posting there :smallbiggrin:

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2008-04-14, 06:31 PM
Yeah.
I'm pretty much fine with the move as long as they add an addendum to the Town laws that AMEN, HALO, and LAW are exempt from all rules and laws as long as they are in the base (aka not in the streets or in another "Town" thread).

(I ummm...really don't think the Townies even follow the laws of Town anymore. I don't suspect this will be a problem. But then, I"m an optimist and a rather silly person. )

I for one would love to welcome the newest threads to Town subforum! You all are invited to a full moon party at Inari's (out of continuity, so as not to cause problems) on the full moon to celebrate the new location.

sheepofoblivion
2008-04-14, 06:37 PM
Why not in Random banter? That is supposed to be for stuff that "doesn't really fit anywhere else" and its definately random. It's not really a game at all, and the town doesn't really describe it either... (I'm not really familiar with Random Banter threads, I'm just trying to put in my 3 cp (that's right... 3))

Haruki-kun
2008-04-14, 07:30 PM
Random Banter is a completely different thing. Random Banter doesn't allow competing for control of the universe or posts made up of only actions. In other words, Random Banter is a conversation. AMEN and HALO are actual Role-Playing Threads.

sheepofoblivion
2008-04-14, 08:22 PM
AMEN and HALO are actual Role-Playing Threads. (DONT FORGET LAW)

*raises eyebrows* I guess so... but that's pretty much the only semblance of anything other than people just talking...

AMEN, HALO, and LAW are almost the same, they just have actions incorporated... AMEN, HALO, and LAW are pretty much (summarized): Chat rooms where you kill stuff (and get killed), a place where you eat breakfast (multiple times) and chat about completely random stuff and some crazy organization made of pure awesome... (in that order)

I guess it works... I was just putting it out there...

PhoeKun
2008-04-14, 08:26 PM
I can't help but laugh to see that the rules I created for Random Banter are still having an impact on the boards. If I had any idea people would still be pointing to them, I'd have been more careful writing them. Such sloppy little things... I'm so embarrassed! :smallredface: :smalltongue:

Tempest Fennac
2008-04-15, 02:10 AM
(sheepofoblivion, you forgot about HALO's overly elaborate loe triangles. Besides, it's not our fault that some people who want breakfast come in after everyone else:smalltongue: ). I'm not familiar with AW, but does it have any long-running plots? HALO has a couple going on at the minute, which is why I tend o see that as RPing.

sheepofoblivion
2008-04-15, 06:03 PM
(sheepofoblivion, you forgot about HALO's overly elaborate loe triangles. Besides, it's not our fault that some people who want breakfast come in after everyone else:smalltongue: ). I'm not familiar with AW, but does it have any long-running plots? HALO has a couple going on at the minute, which is why I tend o see that as RPing.

Hmm... it seems I'm unfamiliar with this "AW" as well... also these Loe triangles... are they some for of magic or combat? :smalltongue:

LAW doesn't have very many long term plots... We still sort of trying to get a good foundation down... We post more often then we did, during the great depression (of posts) and we're just starting to have plots (for example, a mining facility at a faraway planet under our protection was just attacked, and we rushed to defend it)... AMEN (and LAW, I'm not sure with HALO though...) don't really seem very role-playey to me... We play the parts, get into it, but we never really get too into it. There's always "SP kills Haruki for being a grammar freak" and stuff which sort of breaks the role playing experience......... I guess they are Role Playing though... they just don't fit anywhere else

Flickerdart
2008-04-15, 06:45 PM
Yeah, AMEN is to Roleplaying like White Chocolate is to Chocolate...it may LOOK like it is, sound like it is and smell like it is, but it's nowhere close (for all you confused folks, white chocolate has no cocoa in it, which is what makes chocolate chocolate).

Tempest Fennac
2008-04-16, 01:35 AM
Sorry about the awful typing (I meant "LAW" and "love triangles". I hadn't noticed the mIstakes until you mentioned them, though). Thanks or explaining about LAW (Similar plots sometimes happen in HALO).