PDA

View Full Version : Has this ever happened to you?

warty goblin
2008-04-10, 05:48 PM
So I was procrastinating the other day by figuring out all of the upcoming games I was looking forward. The list started off pretty simple.

"I don't want much." I said happily to myself, "Just Spore when it comes out." Whistling innocently to myself I headed over to IGN to see if any gaming news of interest had gone down since I last checked ten minutes earlier.

"Oooh, a Fallout 3 update, well I'd better at that to the list as well. And what's this? The PC version of Mass Effect has a specially redone HUD? Well, any game that merges shooting stuff with role playing in a Sci-Fi setting has my name written all over it, it'll be sort of like being a Space Marine. Which reminds me of Dawn of War II, although that's not out for quite a while yet...although I never did pick up Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts, even though I loved the demo and the original tends to leave me shellshocked every time I play it. I was gonna, except that EB Games had Rainbow 6: Vegas for $20, and I liked the look of the sequel even though it's not out yet, so I figured why not? Which reminds me, that game uses the Unreal Engine, which for some reason runs like crap on my computer, way worse than Crysis (which I also liked the demo of, might be worth picking up). That reminds me: Bioshock, never did get a copy, and I heard the price dropped, although the demo was pretty choppy, Unreal Engine and all. Probably should upgrade the ol' video card. I've heard good things about the 8800 GT, so let's just hop over to Bestbuy.com to see how much they cost. Ouch, that's a bit much, but not that bad. I get a good summer job, I can swing it. Don't want to work to much though, I wanna leave time for writing my science fiction story, which reminds me heavily of the new GalCiv II expansion."

At this point I usually pause to see if I missed anything and hop over to Eurogamer to see what's going on in other parts of the gaming world, only to see an article talking about Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter, which I also never played and should probably consider picking up if I see a copy lying around somewhere...

I think I'm doomed.

So what do all of your anticipated game lists look like?

Quxelopqr
2008-04-10, 06:02 PM
My 'games to get' list is pretty short right now, but it includes:

Disgaea on the DS
Starcraft 2
maybe Fable 2

You sound doomed though, hope you make it out okay. :smalltongue:

Demented
2008-04-10, 06:57 PM
My anticipation list includes games that are already released.
I refuse to get Crysis or UT3 or Call of Duty 4 or S.T.A.L.K.E.R. or ... 5 minutes later ... until I have something more powerful than an 8600GT.

But I ain't touching Mass Effect until it's cheap. (And then only because I heard I can doom a planet to utter oblivion by making a 4-second binary decision.)

The demos of several games have put me off, as well. UT3's demo was a shame. I won't touch ET:QW. (Then again, I've never liked the Battlefield series either.) GRAW and Jericho as well.

There's going to be a Deus Ex 3...

Icewalker
2008-04-10, 10:38 PM
Spore.

Starcraft 2 I will get just because it is Starcraft 2, I'm not that good at it, it's just awesome, and I want to keep following the plot.

Other'n that, I'm not really following much. My computer isn't good enough to run any new games (it might be able to run Bioshock, but it'd be really laggy) so I can't get most of the new computer stuff. I have a PS3, but there isn't too much for it, and I'm keeping myself busy with WoW and Brawl so I haven't found it necessary to go and purchase Assassin's Creed yet.

And then the whole 'keeping my busy' thing is turning into a bit of a problem, seeing as I have just entered the fourth quarter, so all my classes still have the same amount of work plus a 12 page history project I've barely started (the outline for which is due...next week) plus two AP tests! And I want to write my science fiction story as well, which I haven't really started.

Coplantor
2008-04-10, 11:06 PM
My anticipation list right now would be something like:

"Get a lot of money, buy a good PC and wait for Spore, then, die happy"

The Extinguisher
2008-04-10, 11:55 PM
At this point, I pretty much have to win the lottery to get everything I want.

Rutee
2008-04-11, 01:40 AM
At this point, I pretty much have to win the lottery to get everything I want.

I think I can handle the purchase, later on (Albeit not right now).

The Time aspect, however..

Yeah, I'm doomed. My list is huge. And that's not counting backlog, like abandonware I pick up that I find interesting.

Drascin
2008-04-11, 02:04 AM
My "games to come that must be played" list is thankfully short at this moment. However, I have two problems that render me as doomed as you are, WG. First is the same as Rutee's: I keep finding cool old games around, so I spend a significant number of hours playing abandonware and otherwise older stuff. And second, the list of games to come I do must buy is small, but every game in there is going to take HUGE amounts of my time. I mean, just on Super Smash Bros Brawl (which will prompt me taking a week's vacation when it's released to play it nonstop) and Disgaea DS I can expect to sink 500 to 600 hours of my life, easy.

Khanderas
2008-04-11, 02:08 AM
The MMO Age of Conan feels like something just right for me.
Why everyone and their grandmother drools for Spore I dont know. Sure it is fun to edit around and make new species, but I don't think it would keep my attentions for very long.

Wraith
2008-04-11, 06:34 AM
My list looks pretty similar to yours, Goblin, except that the last item always seems to be "$1000 worth of improvements to my computer, so that I can actually RUN any of this stuff..." :smallwink:

Cainen
2008-04-11, 07:28 AM
My "must-have" list is very, very small, and the games I want are spaced apart by months, if not years.

So, no, as far as commercial games go. STALKER: Clear Sky, the rest of Half-Life 2, and Deus Ex 3 are it. I don't trust Bethesda with Fallout 3, and both Bioware and Obsidian are tied up in projects I REALLY couldn't care less about(Sonic RPG? Seriously, now.). I'm still waiting on quite a few indie games' updates, but that's something else entirely.

Triaxx
2008-04-11, 08:44 AM
I have the longest must-have list possible.

GRAW is fun, don't get me wrong, but it can be stupidly difficult, even on 'easy'.

TheThan
2008-04-11, 09:00 PM
It’s happened to me before, but not so much now.

Right now I’m just really looking forward to starcraft II. Though I need a serious upgrade in video card (built in Nvidia 6100 baby!).

Now lets see, when it comes down to miniature games it happens.

Warmachine:

Well I just got the new protectorate Warcaster High executioner Servath Reznik.

But I really want to finish my Knights Exemplar force, that’s three units of knights, two Exemplar Seneschal solos, an Exemplar Vengers box with two blisters to go with it, that new High exemplar Gravus solo, and a second paladin of the wall. Not to mention I need some wracks to go with Reznik. Lets see, the LGS (local gaming shop) has some zealots I’d like to have, but I’d need a monolith bearer to make them really good. I want a new heavy warjack, probably the castigator. It’d be nice to pick up the Iridan skirmisher chieftain and guide. As well as a blister or two of skirmishers to replace two that came in the box, which look kinda dumb to me. I want the Harbringer of Menoth warcaster so I can take on my bro’s Lich lord terminus, so we can throw down with the two big bad awesome warcasters of our perspective factions.

Lets see I’d also love to start a dwarf mercenary force. I’m looking at the Gorten grundback battlegroup, Durgen Madhammer, a unit of Hammerfall High Shield gun corps, and the new Horgenhold Forge Guard, and probably a second heavy warjack to go with it all.

I need a trollblood to stretch out on a wrack, mainly due to a friend of mine who mounted one of his trollbloods on a protectorate of Menoth heavy warjack wreck marker. Now I’m looking to get him back...
I’d probably need putty to do that, which I need anyway since I’m out. Naturally I’m going to need paint, as I don’t have much left at the moment. Oh yeah, and I need a proper army transport to carry it all, since my craftsman toolbox I currently have them in is growing short on space.

Lets see I’d love to get my hands on some Circle of Orobos, I’m looking at the battlebox along with a box of wolves and their master of the hunt and standard bearer. I also really like the look of the new Reeves unit, and their wolf riders are a must (since Cavalry pretty much rules),as far as warbeasts, hmm well I’d have to flip through the books and see which ones I like before I buy anything.

EvilElitest
2008-04-11, 09:16 PM
finally i got Lost Oddessy, so my gaming needs are met. I'm still waiting for the game to actually seem like a worth while purchased (it seems like another mediocre JRPG, but i'm only a little way into the first disc). Ordered Fable II for my siblings, waiting for a new copy of Planescape Torment to come around September. Almost got Two worlds when the people at the game store told me i'd lose my soul if i got it
from
EE

Malic
2008-04-11, 09:37 PM
I would have to say Spore and Left 4 Dead are the only one's on my list right now.

tyckspoon
2008-04-11, 10:30 PM
Fallout 3 (Collector's Edition, even (http://www.gamestop.com/gs/landing/fallout3/default.aspx?affid=3002&WT.mc_id=041108nl)
Rondo of Swords (http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?sku=180746)
Persona 3: FES edition (http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=69508)
Chaos Wars (http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?sku=281838)
Dawn of War 2, eventually..

my wallet, she bleeds.

PhallicWarrior
2008-04-11, 10:48 PM
Let's see:
CoD4
Starcraft 2
Dawn of War 2
Prototype
GalCiv 2 (I downloaded the demo and I can't get enough!)
Alpha Protocol (I get to be a spy! All of my childhood dreams are coming true!)

I think I'm pretty well set for the next couple of months.

Dark Wolf
2008-04-11, 10:51 PM
My current list is

Mass Effect
Spore, and
Warhammer Online.

unfortunately it looks like they might not all be available until the same time later this year. I have no problem waiting if I must but if they all come out at the same time it's not only a big purchase but how can I fit them all in at once.

Mx.Silver
2008-04-11, 10:59 PM
1. Starcraft 2
2. Dragon Age (maybe)
3. err...
4. That's it

I never really got into the whole 'anticipation' thing about games. Or anything else really.

Eita
2008-04-11, 11:35 PM
I have currently scrapped my plans for new games. Right now, I'm looking to get upgrades to run new games.

Mc. Lovin'
2008-04-12, 05:54 PM
I have only two games comming out in the future that i want to get atm,
Left 4 Dead and Super Smash Bro's

leperkhaun
2008-04-14, 04:46 AM
WAR, i cant wait....well i can...been waiting for 2 years.....WAR

JabberwockySupafly
2008-04-14, 07:11 AM
I work as an assistant manager at a major electronic gaming retailer here in Oz, and let's just say my list of games to get increases every time I check out updates when I go to work in the morning. Suffice it to say my "to get" list is around the 30+ title range by now quite easily. Thank (insert deity here) that I get an employee discount! The major titles I'm waiting for though are MGS4, FFXIII, Fallout 3, Ninja Gaiden 2, White Knight Story, Fable 2, and Alone In The Dark.

Hoggy
2008-04-14, 11:57 AM
Mercenaries 2, PS2.

Hzurr
2008-04-14, 12:16 PM
Current games that I have which need to be played:
- Half-Life 2 (plus episodes 1 & 2)
- Neverwinter Nights
- Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory & Double Agent

Games that are on my list of "to-play" over the next few months
- Mario Kart Wii
- Okami
- Spore
- Star Wars: Force Unleashed
- Lego Indiana Jones/Lego Batman
- de Blob
- Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People

In addition, I'm looking at getting a 360 after I start my real job this summer, which means I'll need to add
- Bioshock
- Mass Effect
- Gears of War
- N+
- Resident Evil 5
- Rock Band
- Assassin's Creed
- Ninja Gaiden 2
- Guitar Hero 2

...Wow...that's a lot of games. Again, I'm looking forward to a real job with real money, because otherwise this would be pretty painful on the wallet. It still will be.