PDA

View Full Version : Battle Mage /BLaster Mage [PrC]

ikrase
2008-04-10, 05:53 PM
Requirements

BaB +4
Must Be able to cast 3rd Level evocations -MUST be able to cast Fireball and Lightening Bolt. 8 ranks Concentration, 5 spellcraft, Combat Casting, Spell FOucus (evocation)

Battle Mage
{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|+0|+0|+1|+2|+1 level of Sorceror arcane casting class, Spell-like Ability: Fire Missile, 1st spell gem, Martial Weapon Proficiency

2nd|+1|+0|+1|+3|+1 level of Sorceror arcane casting class

3rd|+2|+1|+2|+3|+1 level of Sorceror arcane casting class, Cast in Armor

4th|+3|+1|+2|+4|+1 level of Sorceror arcane casting class

5th|+3|+1|+3|+4|+1 level of Sorceror arcane casting class, Working with Magic, 2nd spell gem

6th|+4|+2|+3|+5|+1 level of Sorceror arcane casting class, Spell-Like Ability: Dispel Magic, 1/3rd Level

7th|+5|+2|+3|+5|+1 level of Sorceror arcane casting class

8th|+6|+2|+4|+6|+1 level of Sorceror arcane casting class, Cast in Armor

9th|+6|+3|+4|+6|+1 level of Sorceror arcane casting class, 3rd spell gem

10th|+7|+3|+5|+7|+1 level of Sorceror arcane casting class, Spell-Like Ability: +2 Buff

[/table]
Alignment: Any
Hit Die: 1d8

Class Skills:
Class Skills
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier

Spell Gems A Battle Mage may prepare a spell gem. This requires a gem of at least 1000gp value per spell level. A single spell is stored, and the gem has charges equal to [ability modifier, in this case charisma] x (10 - Spell level). THe gem is not consumed but a scroll of the spell is. At high levels the Battle Mage gains more Spell Gems.

Fire Missile Spell: You fire an arrow from your hand as if from a shortbow, but you use your Charisma casting ability. You may also fire rocks as though from a sling.

Cast in Armor: At 3rd and 8th level, a Battle Mage can reduce the Arcane Spell Failure Chance for casting in armor by 10.

Work with Magic: Give a +1 buff to any number by spending a 3rd level spell

Detect and Dispel: Detect and Dispell Magic at will as a caster of one-third your level.

+2 Buff: Five times per day. Cast any +2 buff spell like ability.

MUST HAVE FEEEDBAAAACKKK!

dman11235
2008-04-10, 10:16 PM
You may need feedback but you need formatting more. Check my sig's handy Haversack or the stickies at the top. Guide to Homebrewing will have a template for you. However it is incomplete imo so go here (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=933189) and use that template, you will have to adapt a couple things to GitP BCC.

Charlie Kemek
2008-04-11, 06:43 AM
or go here (http://www.pifro.com/) and use the class table generator.

ikrase
2008-04-14, 11:36 PM
Surely SOMEONE has comments?

Arakune
2008-04-15, 08:11 AM
The wording on the spell gem is a bit confuse and it is too much powerful.

Let's take a look:

Requirements
BAB: +4
Feats: Spell Focus (Evocation), Combat Casting
Skills: Concentration 8, Spellcraft 5,
Especial: Must be able to cast 3rd level impromptu arcane spells. Must have specialized in evocation. Must know Fireball and Lightening Bolt.

+1 level of Sorceror arcane casting class
--> +1 level of Impromptu arcane spell casting class

Class Features:

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
The Battle Mage gain proficiency with martial weapons. No armor and no shield.

Spell Gems [Ex]
A Battle Mage may prepare a spell gem. This requires a gem of at least 1000gp value per spell level of the spell know and want to prepare. A single spell is stored, and the gem has charges equal to [Cha mod] x (10 - Spell level). You can activate the spell as a standard action that doesn't provoke an Attack of Opportunity and each time you use it you spend one charge per spell level of the spell stored. When the gem don't have any more spells it shatters and become dust. You don't need to provide somatic or verbal components and spells with material component with cost higher than 1gp or with any XP cost can't be stored. At 1st level you can prepare only one gem at a time, gaining a second one at 5th and a last one at 7th.

Fire Missile [Sp]
You fire an arrow from your hand as if from a short bow, making a ranged touch attack from up to 40 ft. The arrow deal 1 point of damage per caster level. You can activate it as a standard action.

Cast in Armor
At 3rd and 8th level, a Battle Mage can reduce the Arcane Spell Failure Chance for casting in armor by 10.
I don't think this is nessessary, since the sorcerer don't have armor proficiency and you are not required to enter in a martial class to get armor proficiency to qualify for this class

Work with Magic [Ex]
Gains effects of heighten metamagic without actually using a spell slot higher than normal 2/day (you can cast a heightened[7th] fireball without spending a 7th level slot) but only with spells of the evocation school. At 10th level you may apply this ability with any school of magic (except banned).

Detect and Dispel[Sp]
At 6th level the Battle Mage can Detect and Dispel magic at will with caster level equal half his caster level.
--------------------------------------------
I guess this is Ok, since doesn't touch your CL and you gain some benefits.

dman11235
2008-04-15, 08:44 AM
Try spontaneous instead Ryuan. That's how's it's typically done.

This is way too powerful. And I am not looking at your version Ryuan, because it is not your class. I will go more in depth when I can read it better (i.e., it's cleaned up, take a look at those links, they will really help you and everyone else who wants to read the class).

Aleron
2008-04-15, 09:10 AM
Couple things. Evocations are, if I'm not mistaken, a Warlock class ability and Warlocks don't cast spells such as Lightning Bolt or Fire Ball, so this is requireing you to be a mid level Warlock (4-5 Class Levels I think) and a 4th-5th level Sorcer(the way you have it written it would HAVE to be a Sorcer) to even qualify. Here is how I would write the requirements:

Requirements

BaB +4
Feats
Combat Casting, Spell Foucus (evocation)
Skills
Concentration 8 ranks, Spellcraft 5 ranks
Special
Able to cast 3rd Level Spell
Must be able to cast Fireball and Lightening Bolt.

With the Table, I'm assuming when you say
+1 level of Sorceror arcane casting class
you mean +1 level of existing spontanious arcane spellcasting class
If that's the case it would probably be wise to put the ability change Able to cast 3rd Level Spell to The ability to spontaniously cast 3rd level spells in the requirements section.

That should at least clean up the formatting issues.

Now to the abilities, I'm a bit lost. Your wording is a bit confusing and I'm not 100% clear on what you are trying to do with some of the abilities. From the looks of it your going for something along the lines of a Warmage, but as a generalist and not just an offensive caster, but in all honesty, I'd just multi class to Warmage, or start there, and be done with it.

Arakune
2008-04-15, 11:12 AM
Couple things. Evocations are, if I'm not mistaken, a Warlock class ability

Unless he wrote it wrong, he meant spells from the Evocation school, since he need spell focus: evocation. Warlock have Invocations

Aleron
2008-04-15, 11:18 AM
Unless he wrote it wrong, he meant spells from the Evocation school, since he need spell focus: evocation. Warlock have Invocations

lol, guess I WAS mistaken :-P

Point is still the same though, just ignore the Warlock comment

ikrase
2008-04-16, 07:17 PM
This is good. However, the dispel magic is MEANT to be REALLY underpowered. As Far as the fire missle, it is NOT a ranged touch attack, it is a plain old ranged attack that has to stop for armor. Also, there IS armor somehow, because any 5th level can get twighlight mithril chainshirts, now here is a class for that.

Arakune
2008-04-17, 08:32 AM
This is good. However, the dispel magic is MEANT to be REALLY underpowered. As Far as the fire missle, it is NOT a ranged touch attack, it is a plain old ranged attack that has to stop for armor. Also, there IS armor somehow, because any 5th level can get twighlight mithril chainshirts, now here is a class for that.

If you got that armor, what's the point in reducing the ASF? And why reduce the ASF, since the class itself are not armored (doesn't need armor proficiency or gives armor proficiency)?
If latter you give them armor proficiency, then that's fine.

The dispel magic is already underpowered. 1d20 + 10 max if you are 20th level, 1d20 + 5 if you are 10 level. And using the common rule of always rounding down you will only have a success with lower casters.

Moff Chumley
2008-05-14, 07:48 PM
From what Ikrase told me IRL I thought the point was to be able to shut down lower level casters completely, ie mooks, but I wasn't clear on that. And Krase, seriously check out Fax Celestic's guide to homebrewing. It has everything you need. Also bump.