PDA

View Full Version : Iron Man movie

MrScary
2008-04-10, 08:20 PM
I must say that I'm pretty excited to see the previews for the new Iron Man movie.

A brilliant stroke casting Robert Downey Jr as Tony Stark, in more ways that one.

First, he's nearly spot-on for looks.

Second, he's a recovering drug addict who, if they make more than one movie, will really be able to tap into the addicted aspect/personality of Stark.

Third, he's can easily pull off the smug, smarmy, smart-arsed attitude that Stark demonstrates on a regular basis.

Here's to hoping that the movie lives up to my expectations!

Copacetic
2008-04-10, 09:14 PM
I'm pretty stoked for the movie too. IRON MAN WHOOO!!!

SuperBelkar
2008-04-10, 09:40 PM
:smallfurious: He ain't no druggy

Icewalker
2008-04-11, 01:01 AM
Yeah, the movie looks really good. I don't know enough about the actor to make any predictions from that, but from what I hear it actually follows the original story of the comic, and it also looks really well-done from the previews. And hilarious. And awesome.

Lord Galen
2008-04-11, 04:25 PM
Yeah, the movie looks really good. I don't know enough about the actor to make any predictions from that, but from what I hear it actually follows the original story of the comic, and it also looks really well-done from the previews. And hilarious. And awesome.

If you want a good Downey Jr primer try Kiss Kiss Bang Bang with him and Val Kilmer, or Less than Zero (adaptation of the Bret Easton Ellis book of the same name- about 20 years old now, quite a good snapshot of the vapidity of the eighties)

PhallicWarrior
2008-04-12, 05:10 PM
I cannot wait much longer for this movie, and I'm going to try to see it on opening day! If any GitP'ers live in or around the Suffolk county area on Long Island, and you see a reeealy skinny guy with messy brown hair, say hello, 'cause it might be me. :smallbiggrin:

Nevrmore
2008-04-12, 05:37 PM
He annoyed the Hell out of me in A Scanner Darkly, but from the previews he looks pretty good.

Phantasm
2008-04-13, 03:42 AM
3 more weeks to iron man, 3 weeks and 1 day until im asked to be removed from the theater for going "WHEEEEEEE!"

Grod_The_Giant
2008-04-13, 07:20 AM
I can't wait. It looks totally awesome. Tony Stark is, like, MADE for movies.

...MAN, this is going to be a good summer for movies. Iron Man looks incredible, the Joker in the Dark Knight looks just as scary as could be hoped for, and the previews for Hulk look WAY better and more action-packed then the first movie.

Count D20
2008-05-13, 12:59 AM
:smallfurious: He ain't no druggy

But he was an alcoholic. and now, he seems to be addicted to control...

Athaniar
2008-05-13, 02:11 AM
As I said on the other thread in Media, I greatly enjoyed this film. I am looking forward to the sequel(s), and the Avengers film. BTW, did anyone else stay to after the credits?

Count D20
2008-05-13, 02:59 AM
As I said on the other thread in Media, I greatly enjoyed this film. I am looking forward to the sequel(s), and the Avengers film. BTW, did anyone else stay to after the credits?
OHHHH Yes. So good.

So, what do you think should happen in the sequel?
An encounter with Squirrel girl?:smallbiggrin:

Ethrael
2008-05-17, 02:58 AM
Yes I stayed at the end of the credits. That was what got me REALLY hoping there's going to be a sequel. I thought it was done brilliantly. :smallbiggrin:

Jayngfet
2008-05-18, 12:30 AM
OHHHH Yes. So good.

So, what do you think should happen in the sequel?
An encounter with Squirrel girl?:smallbiggrin:

With Monkey Joe or Tippy Toe?

Caracol
2008-05-18, 03:55 AM
Watched the movie. Really good overall, with moments of pure awesomeness.
Plus there's the Black Sabbath song in the ending. What more could you want?

Lord Galen
2008-05-19, 03:31 PM
Plus there's the Black Sabbath song in the ending. What more could you want?

Two Black Sabbaath songs. In the actual movie. And a cameo from Ozzy.

Caracol
2008-05-19, 03:36 PM
Two Black Sabbaath songs. In the actual movie. And a cameo from Ozzy.

What other song? And in wich role, may I ask?

BillsBioBlog
2008-05-19, 05:45 PM
The movie was, hands down, the best Marvel movie yet... in my opinion... You're right, Tony Stark was very well played, and I can't wait to see the sequel. Also...

Third, he's can easily pull off the smug, smarmy, smart-arsed attitude that Stark demonstrates on a regular basis.

Smarmy?

Witchhunter
2008-05-19, 06:04 PM
Yes I stayed at the end of the credits. That was what got me REALLY hoping there's going to be a sequel. I thought it was done brilliantly. :smallbiggrin:

Marvel has already confirmed that there is going to be a sequel in 2010. In 2011, there will be an Avengers Movie, coming on the tails of the Captain America movie.

Director John Favreau sees the Avengers Movie as a third episode of the Iron Man trilogy. He likes that idea, because in superhero movies, the third movie is where everything seems to fall apart in quality. Blade 3, Spider-Man 3, etc. Those movies started to suffer from the franchise's own bloat.

We'll see how it works out for them. I'm totally thrilled!

Mauve Shirt
2008-05-19, 09:19 PM
Rule 74: If it exists, Tony Stark has built it in a cave :smallbiggrin:

I have seen this movie 3 times, and it is currently my favorite of all the marvel movies. And I have such a huge crush on Tony Stark now.

North
2008-05-20, 04:54 PM
Marvel has already confirmed that there is going to be a sequel in 2010. In 2011, there will be an Avengers Movie, coming on the tails of the Captain America movie.

Director John Favreau sees the Avengers Movie as a third episode of the Iron Man trilogy. He likes that idea, because in superhero movies, the third movie is where everything seems to fall apart in quality. Blade 3, Spider-Man 3, etc. Those movies started to suffer from the franchise's own bloat.

We'll see how it works out for them. I'm totally thrilled!

Thats such a good idea. Hope it works out that way.

Lord Galen
2008-05-20, 08:03 PM
What other song? And in which role, may I ask?

Oh, sorry. Thats the MORE I could WANT, from your original post. It was one of those pesky rhetorical questions, wasn't it... I never get those.

Really glad Favreau was at the helm, he seems to have a good sense of 'cool action' over 'we can make everything explode bigger and have more teched out and screw writing a script, lets just work around the cgi boys'

AtomicKitKat
2008-05-21, 06:52 AM
First in a long time that the CGI didn't dominate the script. You know it's there, but the awesome plot and acting left you wanting an encore. Which you would get if you're not one of those people who think once the credits roll, you can leave. 5 Thumbs up.

Mauve Shirt
2008-05-21, 08:24 AM
And the robots were hilarious. :smallbiggrin:

Finn Solomon
2008-05-22, 10:00 AM
Avengers movie? The Captain America movie had better be awesome, he is my most favourite hero. So we've got Stark, Hulk and Cap, we'd probably need a Thor movie and introduce a couple of girls in the Avengers effort itself. Any ideas? I don't really like Hank Pym nor Janet, She-Hulk would be my choice for a roster addition but since you've already got the Hulk...Scarlet Witch has too much backstory, and Ms. Marvel is not at all familiar. If it were up to me I'd go with the Black Widow, with the Skrull Empire as the villains.

WalkingTarget
2008-05-22, 10:26 AM
As for the Captain America film, I'm really hoping that they keep it entirely in WWII fighting Nazis, possibly ending with him frozen. Then the Avengers film can deal with finding him/thawing him out (oooh or maybe even toss in hints of there being an important "asset" being discovered in the arctic during one of the other preceding films, like the Thor film or Iron Man II, or something).

*imagines somebody, Stark maybe, walking into Fury's office and we catch a glimpse on his computer monitor of something with red, white, and blue encased in ice before he shuts it off to talk to whoever it is* :smallbiggrin:

kagato23
2008-05-22, 10:35 AM
Avengers movie? The Captain America movie had better be awesome, he is my most favourite hero. So we've got Stark, Hulk and Cap, we'd probably need a Thor movie and introduce a couple of girls in the Avengers effort itself. Any ideas? I don't really like Hank Pym nor Janet, She-Hulk would be my choice for a roster addition but since you've already got the Hulk...Scarlet Witch has too much backstory, and Ms. Marvel is not at all familiar. If it were up to me I'd go with the Black Widow, with the Skrull Empire as the villains.

But then it's not the avengers anymore. Though I suspect the avengers movie will be more comprised of characters we've already met anyhow. Which suggests obviously the Hulk, Iron Man, Fury, Wolverine, and Spiderman will be involved, with a probable chance of Thor as well. If Hulks there, there should be no need for She Hulk. Though I'm hoping Pym is involved, and beating his wife.

WalkingTarget
2008-05-22, 11:44 AM
But then it's not the avengers anymore. Though I suspect the avengers movie will be more comprised of characters we've already met anyhow. Which suggests obviously the Hulk, Iron Man, Fury, Wolverine, and Spiderman will be involved, with a probable chance of Thor as well. If Hulks there, there should be no need for She Hulk. Though I'm hoping Pym is involved, and beating his wife.

What about that post made it "not the avengers"?

Iron Man, Thor, the Hulk, and the Pyms were the founding members of the team.

Hulk left early, and Cap came on the scene within a few issues. All of the others that were mentioned were on the team at one point or another by the mid-80s. Hell, I think Hawkeye and Black Widow could be dropped into the group without having to work on a lot of backstory as they're pretty much just Badass Normals.

As we're using the Samuel L. Jackson version of Fury, having them fight a Skrull equivalent isn't too far out there either (Ultimate universe version has the Avengers-equivalent initially under S.H.I.E.L.D. jurisdiction).

Edit - Err, did you mean leaving the Pyms out as making it "not the avengers"?

Finn Solomon
2008-05-23, 03:10 AM
Spider-Man and Wolverine won't be involved, as their movies are not produced directly by Marvel Studios or something. Iron Man is the first movie to be produced directly by Marvel, along with the Incredible Hulk later this year. An Avengers movie will be comprised of characters that have been introduced after Iron Man.

Cap and Thor look like locks to be in. I'm wondering who else will make it.

Evil DM Mark3
2008-05-23, 08:55 AM
The Ironmounger's armor, why are those pistons that move the shoulders so exposed?

SmartAlec
2008-05-23, 09:11 AM
It's a prototype, based on the original design? I would assume that Stane wanted wanted work on the arc reactor power generation reverse-engineering as top priority and the technicians and scientists thought tidying up the suit was pretty unimportant and could wait for their Mk. 2.

Mauve Shirt
2008-05-23, 09:13 AM
It was "more advanced in every way", except Stark's suit was sexier.

SmartAlec
2008-05-23, 09:56 AM
Maybe that was just Stane trash-talking. After all, he's clearly a sharp businessman but does he actually know anything about engineering?

Hawriel
2008-05-27, 01:51 AM
well I left the theater right when the credits started rolling. I went to a late show. Did you guys mention a teaser at the end or somthing? what was it?

Mando Knight
2008-05-27, 10:05 PM
Just got back from finally seeing the movie. As awesome as I heard it was.

Hawriel, your answer is in the spoiler text, for the benefit of those who haven't seen it yet.
Stark returns to his mansion, and Samuel L. Jackson Col. Nick Fury, Director of S.H.I.E.L.D. is standing in the dark, and confronts him about revealing the "I am Iron Man," and says he's here to talk to him about the "Avenger Initiative."

Stark could have mopped the floor with Stane if he had a backup Mk. 2 reactor.

Stane's "More advanced" statement was probably 1. Comparing the two prototypes (Stane's Iron Monger prototype and Stark's Iron Man Mk. 1 armor) and 2. Typical BBEG taunting.

For Iron Man II, I'm betting on either Armor Wars, or the Mandarin. touched on by Stark when he went on a "kill the guys with my weapons" rampage, as well as Rhodey's "Maybe next time" when looking at Iron Man Mk. IIThe Ten Rings? Seriously? I'm not that thick-skulled, Marvel!

sealemon
2008-05-28, 12:30 PM
Stark could have mopped the floor with Stane if he had a backup Mk. 2 reactor.

Stane's "More advanced" statement was probably 1. Comparing the two prototypes (Stane's Iron Monger prototype and Stark's Iron Man Mk. 1 armor) and 2. Typical BBEG taunting.

For Iron Man II, I'm betting on either Armor Wars, or the Mandarin.

3. Stane's armor was much bigger. With a BFG. And missles. So to Stane that probably meant "more advanced.". Kind of the My big ol truck is better than your car syndrome.

And I'd put my money on Iron Man II going with Armor Wars. Hopefully.

Count D20
2008-06-22, 11:09 AM
Casting idea: Miley Cyrus as squirrel girl

Grod_The_Giant
2008-06-25, 09:47 PM
I was actually a bit disappointed by the final fight (and Stark's electromagnet thingie. Two words: Battery Backup). It was fairly exciting, albiet not as good as the one in Hulk, but...I can see the lack-of-power keeping Stark from using his lasers, but what about all the tank-busting missiles? That Iron Monger armor looked pretty clunky and exposed...

Grod_The_Giant
2008-06-25, 10:14 PM
I was actually a bit disappointed by the final fight (and Stark's electromagnet thingie. Two words: Battery Backup). It was fairly exciting, albiet not as good as the one in Hulk, but...I can see the lack-of-power keeping Stark from using his lasers, but what about all the tank-busting missiles? That Iron Monger armor looked pretty clunky and exposed...

Hawriel
2008-06-26, 12:09 AM
AH boards must have lagged on you. happens to me alot.

Dude thanks Mando Knight!! I think I'll go see it again after class so I can see with my own eys.

Ok the unpainted armor was not war mechine obviosly. I got the impression that it was eather a second suit or previose suit made befor the painted one.

kpenguin
2008-06-26, 12:33 AM

I assumed that the all of his triggers were electronic and not mechanical, thus preventing him from firing his weapons with his suit powered-down.