PDA

View Full Version : The Shadow Initiative - Operation: Rapidstrike! (Top Secret)

ToricArthendain
2008-04-10, 08:52 PM
Virginia Beach, Virginia - August 12th, 1983

The Virginia Beach field office of the Initiative had been quiet for the last few weeks. The four new agents recently assigned to the office had yet to receive mission orders, having to content themselves with processing paperwork and studying operations manuals. So much for the glamorous life of a spy!

All of that was about to change though. The agents were summoned to the small briefing room on the 12th floor overlooking the Atlantic Ocean in the high-rise building where the top two floors served as the field office.

The field office administrator Matt Baker was waiting for the agents when they arrived. Baker was in his late-40's, with close-cropped black hair peppered with gray. A sour man with no sense of humor and little regard for small-talk, the administrator was not someone agents usually felt like being around for very long. He had a tendency to treat those who worked for him as children. Matt Baker was surely an alias and in fact the man was better known as Daddy to those who worked in the office.

"Sit down, rookies," Baker growled, his face a stern mask. Dispensing with pleasantries as was usual, he started the briefing.

"There is a new danger facing the United States and the rest of the world. A new chemical substance known as ZN-25, or Zucor, is about ready to hit the streets. It is a mind-expanding drug of incredible power, developed under the direction of one Genevieve Larreau, a noted French criminal who has long harbored elaborate schemes to subvert Western civilization. This latest plotting has dangerous undertones, however, because of the drug's peculiar properties and the mass subversions of the mind that are possible through its proliferation."

"The substance has apparently been developed by Dr. Felix Fendelmann, the Nobel Prize-winning chemist who disappeared six months ago from his laboratory in Switzerland under mysterious circumstances shortly after a visit by Mlle. Larreau. Dr. Fendelmann is believed to be working at the island research lab of Mlle. Larreau, apparently against his will. Furthermore, the development of this powerful substance is directly attributed to Dr. Fendelmann's earlier research on chemicals of the mind, for which he was awarded the Nobel Prize several years ago."

"The drug is known to affect several areas of the brain, causing greatly heightened sensory perception. Initially, usage of the drug induces a euphoria of unbelievable dimension, causing users to demand further doses which shortly lead to addiction. The senses are sharpened to such a high degree that certain areas of the brain are overloaded, causing a mental "short circuit" after prolonged use. Withdrawal is believed to be fatal in some instances. Others suffer greatly reduced sensory abilities when the usage of the drug is stopped."

"Word about the drug's incredible properties, and a small sample of capsules containing it, have reached the Initiative through a source on the island. This source, code-named "Gregor", has also furnished a hand-drawn sketch of the facility for reference. Unfortunately, it shows few details."

"The island research facility is located off the western coast of Africa among the Archipelago Dos Bijagos. The island is small and relatively barren, the the research building itself is obscured by some amount of vegetation. The building is of fairly recent construction and seems to be self-sufficient and well-guarded. Local authorities avoid the area, and seem to take no interest in the activities of Mlle. Larreau."

"The Initiative has learned that Mlle. Larreau intends to mass-produce Zucor and make it available to dealers in cities all over the world. Not only will this distribution generate tremendous income, but the proliferation of the drug will advance her plans of subverting Western civilization. This development will lead the way toward her own plans for eventual geopolitical domination."

Baker paused a moment, leaving the agents to believe he might be about to take questions and then continued.

"The time is fast approaching when enormous quantities of this new drug will be shipped off the island. Because of this, it is essential that the entire operation of Mlle. Larreau be neutralized. Your team of agents will undertake this mission with the following objectives in order of priority. One, destroy or neutralize existing quantities of Zucor. Two, rescue Dr. Felix Fendelmann and retrieve any existing copies of the formula for Zucor. Three, obtain information regarding Mademoiselle Larreau's current or future activities. Four, locate and rescue "Gregor"."

"The team will depart a ship and approach the island at night using scuba equipment. After burying the gear, you will have a limited amount of time to penetrate the defenses of the research station and accomplish your mission. One hour after your arrival on the island, a rescue helicopter will arrive at the research station's helipad to pick up your team of agents, Dr. Fendelmann and possibly Gregor. If for any reason your team is not at the contact point, the helicopter has orders to leave immediately, stopping only to drop a small pontoon boat on the north shore of the island. The pontoon boat can be used to escape and rendezvous with the ship where you started as an alternative. The area's reefs and tides make boating dangerous, so the pontoon boat should only be used in an emergency. Intelligence places both Mlle. Larreau and Dr. Fendelmann on the island at this time. However, because of her many other activites, the length of her stay is undetermined."

"Tomorrow morning at 0820 you will board a plane at Norfolk Internation Airport which will fly you to Osvaldo Vieira International Airport in Bissau, Guinea-Bissau. There you will board a freighter which will take you to the drop point off the coast of the island. Any questions?"

OOC: I will be posting a link to a map of the island and Gregor's hand-drawn map, as well as file photos of Larreau and Fendelmann tomorrow.

maddmic
2008-04-11, 02:25 AM
The silence was deafening. They had waited their entire short careers to get to this point, and some of them had waited their entire lives. They were getting their first assignment. The well built curly haired blond had listened intently as the details were given. He had taken in each of the four who were present, trying to determine what their specialty was. The situation sounded potentially grave indeed. Jon decided to break the silence.

Standing up, he cleared his throat. "Mr. Baker, I have only one question, but I think it's best if we introduce ourselves as well. Name's Jonathan Anderson. I go by my codename Shepherd in the field though. Grew up farming and have a bit of knowledge in electrical engineering as well. I see myself as more of the brute force I suppose. Had a lot to do on the farm and many siblings, so I've had my fair share of fights." He then turned back to their administrator. "Mr. Baker, are we to take any prisoners, or only focus on the 4 tasks at hand?" He then sat back down and waited.

Shadow Initiative ID Card:

http://img03.picoodle.com/img/img03/4/4/11/f_shepherdm_29cecc7.jpg

reiswind
2008-04-12, 03:55 AM
Karen listened to the briefing quietly, filing away details in her head to be recalled at a later date. She listened intently, her gaze never wavering away from Baker until he finished speaking. It was then that she looked at the other agents present, nodding as Jonathan spoke up, promptly standing as soon as the other man sits.

"My name is Donna King, but call me Mind's Eye on the field. I've just one question that sort of plays off Mr. Anderson's own question. What should we do if we happen upon Mademoiselle Larreau? I would assume neutralize her, but there is no specific mention of such a course of action in the briefing."

Still, only one question? Perhaps it was just newbie's naivety, or just plain not know what questions to ask.

vargen
2008-04-12, 03:11 PM
Jason took notes while listening to the briefing, notes that per SOP will be destroyed before leaving the building, finally, a live mission, he couldn't believe it.

Thank God thought Jason, that Tuesdays are laundry evening, so everything was clean and ready to be packed back home.

Jason looks as both Donna and Jonathan presents themselfs and when Donna sits down Jason stands up.

"Hello, for you that don't know me, my name is Jonathan Shepherd and since we have atleast two Jonathan's in our group, please call me JS, or on missions Golden."

Jason looks embarrassed around the room

"I wish I had a good question to ask, but nothing comes to mind, maybe later"

He starts to sit down but raises quickly again

"Yes, now I have a question, not that good of a question but vital, what is our mission budget, or do we have one?"

Jason sits down again, for real this time.

ToricArthendain
2008-04-13, 10:38 PM
"Mr. Baker, are we to take any prisoners, or only focus on the 4 tasks at hand?" He then sat back down and waited.

"My name is Donna King, but call me Mind's Eye on the field. I've just one question that sort of plays off Mr. Anderson's own question. What should we do if we happen upon Mademoiselle Larreau? I would assume neutralize her, but there is no specific mention of such a course of action in the briefing."

"No prisoners need be taken. If the opportunity presents itself to neutralize Larreau, take it. But do not let it interfere with your primary objectives," Baker says sternly.

"Yes, now I have a question, not that good of a question but vital, what is our mission budget, or do we have one?"

"You are being provided with scuba gear. In addition, you should bring along any personal equipment that you own and feel might be needed. As a bonus, the Initiative has authorized you each to purchase an additional three hundred dollars worth of equipment that you might find useful during the mission. If you don't have a firearm of some sort, you might want to consider getting one with these alloted funds. Any other questions? If not, report to the shop for purchase of items and good luck..."

maddmic
2008-04-17, 10:24 PM
Jon waits politely for the others and then he stands. "I have no further questions." Once everybody else is done, he'll leave the room and begin heading towards the shop.

Assuming that the others are coming along as well, he'll chat with the other Jon and Karen along the way. Not wanting to divulge any info about their mission, he keeps the chat to non-specifics and idle conversation. "Kind of odd that they're only sending three of us. And three rookies at that. Oh well, nevertheless, I'm ready to go. You can only be cooped up for so long."

Upon reaching the shop, Jon orders the following:
Binocluars
Handcuffs
2 Grenades
4 sticks of dynamite
2 plastic explosives (the $50 variety, how much do they weigh?)
2 Timer detonators
4 Fusing cords
1 Jumpsuit
1 Flashlight
1 box standard .45 ACP ammo

vargen
2008-04-18, 09:45 AM
Jason tries to think about what might be needed on this mission that he doesn't already have. Well, it is quite hard to know what you will need.

Hello, I would like a Scuba gear is medium size, and one Walkie-talkie, a silencer that fits 9mm FN Browning, bulletproof vest also medium size and finally a shoulder holster for the Browning

Jason puts his gear into his backpack.

So, does any of you want to hit a pub or something tonight, just to get to know each other some more before the mission?