PDA

View Full Version : Divine help.

Creeps
2008-04-10, 08:58 PM
Yo.

I've been tooling around with this world of mine. Sort of like Lovecraft meets Discworld. Gritty, grim humor, low(er than typical D&D) magic.

To get to the point, the only gods that pull water on this particular world are gods you wouldn't want to worship, anyway. While I don't want much access to higher level divinity (beyond whatever the pcs can pull off), I'm not sure completely removing the cleric class would be a good idea.

Worshiping ideas and ideals seems silly to me, though, especially within the realm of horror/grim humor.

Archivists will be available, but would that be enough?

Any ideas? I'm open to suggestions.

Devils_Advocate
2008-04-11, 06:22 PM
I suggest to you the following:

Devils_Advocate's Quick-and-Dirty White Mage class!

1. Begin with the Healer class from the Miniature's Handbook.
2. Add the Turn Undead class feature (as Cleric).
3. Add medium and heavy armor proficiency. Remove the oaths prohibiting the use of metal armor.
4. Replace the ability to prepare and cast Healer spells with the ability to spontaneously cast any spell on the Healer spell list and any abjuration from the core cleric spell list. (Casting a spell still requires a Wisdom score of 10 + the spell's level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a spell is still 10 + the spell's level + the White Mage’s Charisma modifier. Base daily spell allotment remains the same. Bonus spells per day are still based on Wisdom.)
5. Remove all other class features except for Healing Hands, Skill Focus (Heal), and Effortless Healing.

Stir. Set aside and allow to set.

dman11235
2008-04-11, 06:35 PM
You can still play a cleric. Clerics don't need to worship a god, you know, they can worship an ideal or a cause. Or even an alignment.