PDA

View Full Version : Campaign help... again...

Kayoden Usoden
2008-04-10, 10:56 PM
This is the second attempt at getting help with the campaign.:smallannoyed:

The first time those that replied thought that the post was a joke, it wasn’t.:smallfurious:

You can read it here:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77481

Here is what I have done so far:
the fake boss fight
2 really nasty puzzles
the 2 finale bosses
and a new monster I made
(warforged titan + balor lord = Hell-forged Defiler)

Working on the fights, but having trouble making them challenging and not overwhelming.

I REALLY don't want to use the Epic Players Handbook.:smallfrown:

Edit 1:Ok, here are some clarifications:

Plot:
The party has found an ancient text containing a map, and information about some powerful artifacts called “The Eyes of Haedren”. They then set off to find them, in doing so they stumble upon a cult trying to activate them.

Players:
I would have to guess 4-8 players ranging in skill and class preference.

To make sure “FUBAR” is never spoken, here is what the party will be:
1 melee fighter
1 rouge
1 cleric
1 wizard / sorcerer
1 ranged fighter (if needed)
1 bard (if needed)
1 ranger (if needed)
1 barbarian (if needed)

It may be adjusted if they want to use a source book or Pr. Class.

Dungeon: giant clockwork-like machine in a dome

Stage one: warm-up
Small outpost
Locked gate (statue puzzle / riddles)

Stage two: maze time
Multi room portal puzzle with monsters in it.

Stage three: main dungeon
Small base
Lift one

Stage four: fun time
Lift two
Stair chase from hell

Stage five: almost over
Giant spinning gears under giant floating platform thing, once on in goes to the floating platform

Stage six: end game
Boss fight

Edit 2: argh

The problem is that over half of my DnD group, are insane tacticians.

As to how 6 lv 3s killed 6 lv 18s:

1 & 2: death by sneak attack with the equivalent piano wire
3: same as 1 & 2 and also beet to death by goblin use as a fail
(we do this often, don’t ask)
4: 2? flasks of oil and 2? flasks of alchemist fire, then back stabbed
5: all of the above (was standing next to 4 and 6)
6: killed by number five when he rolled a 1 then a 20 and hit by magic missle

Yes, the rouge kill four of them.

If you ever see the following formation, kill your self. You will live longer.

Front “V”

Fighter in front
Rouge to the left and back one space
Cleric to the right and back one space

Back “V”
Barbarian in the front
Wizard to the left and back one space
Ranger to the right and back one space

They can pull that **** off, but they can't take on the Big T. WTH? O_o
(if you don't what Big T is, go read MM1)

Dr Bwaa
2008-04-10, 11:07 PM
You need to give us more information. The last thread died because you didn't tell us enough to help you, so people assumed you were joking. Please provide details on what exactly is going on.

EDIT: By details, I mean what are the PCs, what equipment do they have, and so on.

feghoot
2008-04-10, 11:13 PM
From looking at your list on the other thread, the only thing that I can see that would cause trouble is the called shots rule. Try running this campaign without them and see how it goes.

Kayoden Usoden
2008-04-11, 12:22 AM
You need to give us more information. The last thread died because you didn't tell us enough to help you, so people assumed you were joking. Please provide details on what exactly is going on.

EDIT: By details, I mean what are the PCs, what equipment do they have, and so on.

Will that help? d:P

Erebus
2008-04-11, 12:29 AM
Ofc it will by knowing more or less the equip+feats+spells of the chars a suitable challenge can be made which will be fun for every1 :smallwink:

Tsotha-lanti
2008-04-11, 12:46 AM
There's still zero information about what the problem is. You need to tell us how/why exactly the party is too powerful to challenge. If you do have 8 PCs, increasing the average Encounter Level by 2 (preferrably by increasing the amount of enemies, not their CRs) should be enough.

We're all still curious about just how the "six level 3s beat six level 18s". There's just no way that can happen if you're following WBL and not talking about NPCs with NPC classes. A single level 18 character can and will always wipe the floor with any number of level 3s if you're actually using the rules - with a level difference that big, the lower-level characters are simply incapable of hurting the higher-level characters.

Remember, also, that single-monster fights are pointless, especially against a large party; the concentrated offensive power of 4 to 8 PCs will kill most things in one round, unless it's a well-played dragon. If you use a solitary boss of even remotely appropriate CR (CR =< average PC ECL + 4), they will die in a couple of rounds.

Erebus
2008-04-11, 12:54 AM
Ok just finished reading the previous post...there is absolotely no way 3 lvl 3 characters can be an NPC of 18lvl...unless that NPC is with 0 in Dex and Str (therefore cannot move)...Deffo give more info and deffo I agree with Tsotha-lanti in the points given!