PDA

View Full Version : Arena Tournament, Round 35: Bobo vs Llince

ArenaManager
2008-04-11, 12:46 AM
Arena Tournament, Round 35: Bobo vs. Llince

Map:http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z123/TheChilliGod/Giantitp/Arena4ii.gif

Extra notes: Houses are on average 20 feet high (just use that average figure all over the house), hay piles are up to 10 feet high against the walls. And, I don't care whether you're immune to sanctuary effects, you are not immune to the arena's sanctuary effect. Creatures summoned during the 1st round are also affected by the sanctuary effect.

XP Award: 300 XP
GP Award: 300 GP

Talic - Bobo (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=3244)
FlyMolo - Llince (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=43700)

All Combatants, please roll initiative.

Talic
2008-04-11, 01:19 AM
Checking in.

Initiative: [roll0]

Still reviewing purchase items... Let's see.

To go with the scroll I purchased between rounds, I'll add in 5 flasks of acid.

FlyMolo
2008-04-11, 06:24 PM
Scroll of what?

[roll0]

I'm here, waving the I'm here flag.

I've got stuff to purchase too, let me go see what I like.

Picked up a pair of powerstones and a crawling tat of entangling ectoplasm.

Anything else you want to buy?

Talic
2008-04-11, 08:47 PM
One other purchase. One Scroll of the Spell Zone of Glacial Cold. I'm in W10. Gail, the elemental, is in W11. She has 2 vials in her hands. I have a scroll in one hand. If you have no other purchases, take your first action.

My spells (refs only):Per the list on my character sheet. Items in hand: Scroll of Zone of Glacial Cold. Items in Gail's hands: 2 vials of acid.

FlyMolo
2008-04-11, 09:34 PM
Picked up another tattoo, crawling one of concussion. both tattoos are on my psicrystal, I'm holding my powerstone with both powers in it (hey, if scrolls can do it, why not rocks? And my xbow in the other hand.)

Llince Round 1

I start in D10, Psicrystal in D11.

Move action to J10, J11.

Standard actions:
My psicrystal taps one of his tattoos, and it runs 60' towards you, ending at V10, I think. It's targeted on you. It has no reach, elseways it'd hit you now. Or it would try and be prevented by the Sanctuary. Entangling ectoplasm.

I manifest something from one of my powerstones. DC something to work out what it is. ( Since they have different psicraft DC, I can't tell you what the DC is. Sorry.) Umm, displays happen. Force Screen.

All done. Your go.

Talic
2008-04-11, 10:21 PM
Just to help me out, could you refer to it as an emberling, rather than a Psicrystal? No major issue, I spose. Just keeps me familiar with it NOT having hardness, and havins several nasty Psionic abilities. Sigh.

Also, what kind of displays? Audio? Visual?

Bobo, Round 1, Part 2:

Gail's actions:
Move: from W11 to M11 (using Flyby attack feat)
Standard: Throw acid at ground, intersection of J10-K11.
Attack Roll (AC 5): [roll0]
If it hits, everyone in J10-K11 takes 1 point of acid damage (no save)
Scatter Roll (if it misses): [roll1]
(1 is north, counting clockwise)
Move (continued): From M11, South, gaining elevation. You lose sight of it as it flies over the building to the south (as if moves south out of M15)
Ending at M16, elevation +20 (on rooftop, exactly)

Bobo's actions:
Standard: Read scroll.
CL Check (DC 4): [roll2]
If that is successful, you may look in below spoiler:Zone of Glacial Cold! (Source: Frostburn)
Targeted on square: M11, 20 foot radius Effect.
Damage: [roll3]
Emberling takes +50% damage.
Fort Save, DC 14 for half.
You and emberling are both in area of effect.
Move: North, running Up the wall, disappearring out of sight as I clear the top of the 20 foot tall building (Use feat Up the Walls). You lose Sight as I move North out of W6.ending in W4. Free action: Drop scroll, only if it successfully activated.

Done.

Stats:Bobo:
HP: 10/10
AC: 14, Flat Foot 12, Touch 12
In hand: Nothing. (or scroll, if it didn't activate)
Effects: Focused.

Gail:
HP: 9/9
AC: 17, Flat Foot 14, Touch 14
In hand: Vial of Acid (1).
Effects: None.

EDIT: The scroll purchased between rounds was not required to be identified. However, it was a Scroll of Summon Dire Hawk. (as is listed on my sheet).

FlyMolo
2008-04-12, 12:20 AM
Can you cast offensive spells under a sanctuary effect? Nope, Srd says no.

Erm, want to change your actions? :smallwink:

Talic
2008-04-12, 12:30 AM
Any opponent attempting to strike or otherwise directly attack the warded creature, even with a targeted spell, must attempt a Will save. If the save succeeds, the opponent can attack normally and is unaffected by that casting of the spell. If the save fails, the opponent can’t follow through with the attack, that part of its action is lost, and it can’t directly attack the warded creature for the duration of the spell. Those not attempting to attack the subject remain unaffected. This spell does not prevent the warded creature from being attacked or affected by area or effect spells. The subject cannot attack without breaking the spell but may use nonattack spells or otherwise act. Relevant section bolded.

Mavian
2008-04-12, 12:58 AM
I'm going to have to say no to AoE spells, as it completely violates the meaning of the sanctuary.

The sanctuary like effect was put into place to stop wizards from getting one shotted in this arena, not to allow them to one shot other people because they are the only ones allowed to cast AoE spells.

I suggest rewording the sanctuary effect to state that no offensive action may be taken in a players first round.

Talic
2008-04-12, 01:01 AM
Would this mean a redo of the turn, as it's an interpretation that goes directly against the worded effect of the arena?

Solution suggested: Preface my action with: Delay until the top of round 2.

Mavian
2008-04-12, 01:11 AM
I'm just a High Ref, and I'm pretty sure that this one is way above my pay-grade, just posting my thoughts on the matter, so the actual ruling would have to come from Chili as the mapguy, or Kyeudo as the big boss man.

Your delay thing works perfectly though.

Talic
2008-04-12, 01:12 AM
Consider action delayed, to keep the match running smoothly until we get the boss man or someone in here.

FlyMolo
2008-04-12, 02:15 PM
Very kind of you. And that's damn sneaky of you.

Ref question: Can crawling tattoos climb walls? Because It'll go after him, possibly climbing the walls to get to him. At the very least it'll run to W6, or try and run around the building. It's no longer under any modicum of my control, anyway.

Fort saves:
[roll0] DC 14 Me.
[roll1]DC 14, emberling.

If either of us makes the save, we take no damage. Thank you, rounding down.

Moving and such: We both move north, ending with my emberling at J5, and me at J6. I manifest energy adapation, acid from my other powerstone. [roll2]DC 4. My emberling readies an action to manifest energy ray on the next hostile creature he establishes LoE to, unless that creature is more than 30 feet away, in which case he taps his concussion tattoo.

Talic
2008-04-12, 02:58 PM
The description lists a speed, but not a climb speed. Done?

chilepepper
2008-04-12, 03:09 PM
ref chilepepper

Llince
While it is possible to word a readied action so that multiple possible actions can trigger it, you have to have one clear action readied. Either ready the energy ray or the tattoo activation.

Need a clarification before the turn passes to Bobo.

FlyMolo
2008-04-12, 03:52 PM
Whoops!

refs:The emberling readies the following action. Trigger: The elemental or the wall-climbing druid enters LoE, less than or 30 feet away. Action: Manifest energy ray(fire). Hope that clears that up.

Talic
2008-04-12, 04:20 PM
Ok, emberling's taken 1 damage, you've taken 2. I'm up. Start of Round 3.

My Actions:Move: Draw scroll of Summon Dire Hawk.
Standard: Begin Full round action: Read scroll of Summon Dire Hawk.
Caster Level Check, DC4: [roll0]
Regardless of success or failure, will use standard action next round to complete action. If failure, I'll have to try again.

Gail will sit tight until I get backup. I don't like how many pewpew beams and mind thrusts he used last fight.

Done.

In hand: Scroll, Summon Dire Hawk (Source: Races of the Wild)

Gail:

FlyMolo
2008-04-12, 06:59 PM
One second, before I go, I need a ref to rule on where the crawling tat went. I'm unsure how smart it's supposed to be.

Eh, what the hell. You "otherwise absented yourself" It's curled up at the base of W6, waiting for me to claim it.

move(partial) I move to J3, my emberling following along.(J4)

LoS check, so not done.

Talic
2008-04-12, 07:05 PM
@Refs:For when you do the LOS, Zone of Glacial Cold is active until the start of my action in round 5. If Llince or his emberling enter within the area of effect (20 ft radius, centered on M11), he will take damage, needing a fort save. That damage, if needed, is as follows:

[roll0]
Emberling takes +50% damage, dound down.

chilepepper
2008-04-14, 01:05 AM
ref chilepepper

Wow, it's like this match has the plague or something. I have come to bring you the gift of LoS checks. I'm going to handle all the participants separately. Since we're kinda on 3 dimensional LoS checks here, I'm going to assume that figures take up 5' cubes instead of 5' squares (unless someone is prone).

BoboYou can see Gail
GailYou can see Bobo, Llince(J3), emberling(J4).
LlinceYou can see the emberling, and Gail(M16)
EmberlingYou can see Llince, and Gail(M16)

Talic
2008-04-14, 01:19 AM
Gail, as a free action, speaks:

Auran:
Gist of message: relay location of Llince and Emberling

FlyMolo
2008-04-14, 05:25 PM
Gotcha! I make a listen check to work out where he is. [roll0]

This match does have the plague. Actually, it might be me, because my last match was a headache too.

FlyMolo
2008-04-14, 05:32 PM
note to self. Read next time.

I step east. Your elemental loses sight of me. (and I of it)

I'm J3 now, so I end in N3, my emberling in M3. We both ready actions. Emberling: Trigger(Hostile, LoE, and within 30 feet.) Action (Manifest energy ray(fire). Me: Trigger(Hostile, LoE, within 25 feet.) Action(manifest mind thrust)

Done.

Talic
2008-04-14, 05:40 PM
still your turn, just to let you know. Getting ready to do my move.

Talic
2008-04-14, 05:50 PM
My turn: Bobo, Round 4.

Gail:Ascend while travelling north (diagonal up), level off at altitude +50 feet, Move to M1. 2nd action depends on LOS.

If LOS Established, Ready Action:Move if opponent is about to break LOS.

In either case Gail will shout location of opponent in Auran if she gets LOS.

Turn not done, Need LOS.

chilepepper
2008-04-14, 07:22 PM
ref chilepepper

refsSince I'm making 3 dimensional LoS checks, I'm assuming characters take up 5' cubes

bobono los and I hate you
gailno los
Llinceno los
emberlingno los

Talic
2008-04-14, 08:03 PM
Gail's actions (continued).

K, no LOS from M1. Finish 1st move at N1.
2nd move action. Move 60 feet to Z1. If no LOS anywhere from M1 to Z1, move back to P3.

My moves have been plotted out so that fliers have had, or will have by the end of my action, view of every square on the north 2/3 of the board, unobstructed by cover. (Hawk gets Columns A,B, J, as well as the north west area with the hay pile. Elemental gets the north center area, the E/W corridor on row 1, and the entire middle of the map, and columns P,Q, and Z.) Provided he's not invisible, there is no way he can be out of LOS.

My actions:Standard: Finish casting spell. Hawk appears in Q4, elevation 20.
I command hawk mentally as a free action. (per spell)
Free: drop scroll
Move: Draw club.

Dire Hawk Actions:
Flies west.

Move: Q4 to C4, and then to B3, beginning to circle north at the end of the movement
If LOS is established, immediately fly directly towards enemies; Llince if seen, emberling if Llince not seen, and attack.
Attack if necessary: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
If threat: [roll2]
If Crit: [roll3]

Done; Need LOS.

In hand: Club

Gail:

Hawk:
HP: 32/32
AC: 19 (+6 Dex, +3 Natural)
Effects: Summoned 1/30

chilepepper
2008-04-14, 09:13 PM
ref chilepepper

Oops.

BoboSorry, I made a mistake. I misread Gail's first movement. Rewind to the move to M1.

gailWhen I read Gails movement, I thought you said M10, not M1. Gail sees Llince in N3, emberling in M3. Rewind to that point.

LlinceSlight rewind, my fault. At the beginning of Bobo's turn, you see Gail fly overhead, ending in M1 50' up.

Emberlingditto

I hope this doesn't cause too much of an issue. My apologies.

Talic
2008-04-14, 09:24 PM
Redux:

Gail's Actions: (unspoilered, as you can see her clearly):

Free: Speak (auran)Below me, just south.
Standard: Ready an action: Move adjacent to Llince if Llince performs any action that would provoke an AoO (after Bobo's signal).

Bobo's Actions:
Standard: Finish casting spell. Hawk appears in Q3, elevation 20.
I command hawk mentally as a free action. (per spell)
Free: drop scroll
Move: Draw club.

Dire Hawk Appears in Q3

Dire Hawk's actions: Dive downward to O3, landing, and attacking.
Attack:[roll0]
If Crit:[roll3]

(Bobo): Free: speak (auran):Be ready.
Done.

Gail:

Hawk:
HP: 32/32
Effects: Summoned 1/30

No worries Chile. 3d combat is hardly the norm here.

chilepepper
2008-04-14, 11:33 PM
ref chilepepper

talicJust to be clear: Gail's readied action triggers if Llince performs any action that trigger's an AoO. Do you mean, "provokes an AoO from Gail", or "performs any action that is listed as provoking AoOs"?

I just need a clarification. Llince can go ahead and take his turn.

Talic
2008-04-14, 11:47 PM
@refs, chile:Any action listed as provoking an AoO.

The idea is to get Gail 5 feet away, right before he does the action, which he is then obligated to perform, giving me a move, and an ensured AoO, all rolled into one.

Maurkov
2008-04-15, 12:47 AM
Ref Maurkov

@talic, refs
@Refs:
For when you do the LOS, Zone of Glacial Cold is active until the start of my action in round 5. If Llince or his emberling enter within the area of effect (20 ft radius, centered on M11), he will take damage, needing a fort save. That damage, if needed, is as follows:

I always seem to come to these parties late. For an AoE spell, "[t]he point of origin of a spell is always a grid intersection," SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#area). so M11 isn't valid. Please choose a corner of M11.

Talic
2008-04-15, 12:54 AM
@Maurkov, Refs:As I didn't choose it then, I shan't choose it now. But lo, it shall be chosen.

[roll0]

1=NE
2=NW
3=SW
4=SE

Maurkov
2008-04-15, 01:03 AM
Ref Maurkov

@refs, TalicYea, verily. The RNG has spoken.

The zone is centered on L11-M12 and extends 20'

Talic
2008-04-15, 01:58 AM
So you know, Flymolo, you're good to go. All this spoiler business was to sort out a minor detail or two. Sigh. Details.

chilepepper
2008-04-15, 02:48 AM
ref chilepepper

refs, talic
Damnit, I thought I mentioned the corner thing. All this crazy 3d LoS checks has got my brain a smoking. Back when I was going to mention it, Llince had already left the area, so it hasn't made any difference that it wasn't on a corner.

Still Llince's turn.

FlyMolo
2008-04-15, 05:19 PM
Ref question: Can I manifest charm on Gail or the hawk? I suspect not, I'm afraid, but it's worth a shot.

And where can I find dire hawk stats? I can't seem to find them anywhere. I'm going to assume it has the 5' reach necessary to hit me from O3. :smallwink:

I'm going to have to burn a pp to take no damage to stay conscious. poot.
Actions:
Llince and the emberling take a 5-foot step westwards, sorta. Llince in M3, Emberling in M2.

The emberling still has obstructed whatsit, no? He readies an action.
Triggers on a hostile critter entering LoE of his energy ray(fire)
Llince fires his bow (standard) at the hawk, then reloads. [roll0]AC ?.[roll1][/spoiler]

stats:Me: AC 19, pp 7/8, hp 3/5.
Emberling: AC 20, all abilities unmanifested. hp 12/13

Talic
2008-04-15, 06:51 PM
Dire Hawk stats are in the same place as the Summon Dire Hawk Spell. Races of the Wild. Stats are below for your convenience.

HP: 32 (HD is 5, for effects based on HD)
Speed: 10 ft, Fly 80 ft
AC: 19 (+6 dex, +3 Natural)
Attack: Talon +9 (1d4+1)
Full Att: 2 Talon +9 (1d4+1), Bite +4 (1d6)
Space reach: 5 / 5
Low light Vision
Saves: F +6 / R +10 / W +6

Those are most of the combat stats. Has a +18 to spot in daylight, and a listen/ Move sil of +8.

Also, as the Dire hawk was summoned 20 feet up, the emberling had LoE. If I triggered a ready action (from you or the emberling) feel free to go back and take it.

FlyMolo
2008-04-15, 09:03 PM
Actually, it does trigger a pair of readied actions. On summoning, on the turn before last.

[roll0][roll1]

DC 15 will save or it takes [roll2] damage.

Talic
2008-04-15, 09:52 PM
Birdy will save - DC15: [roll0]

Also, note that even if it was summoned at ground level, emberling would still have LOE. It may benefit from Soft cover, depending on if Allies grant it.

Fail. NP.

The soft cover thing is moot, as it was not summoned on ground level.

Talic
2008-04-15, 09:57 PM
Firing your bow triggers my elemental's ready action. Immediately prior to the bow attack, Gail moves.

Move: From M1 (50' elevation) to K3 (ground level), then over to L3.

You then provoke an AoO from Gail when you fire.

Attack: [roll0]
If crit: [roll3]

Edit: miss.

Talic
2008-04-15, 10:10 PM
My Turn:

All parties delay until Gail's action (immediately before you), to resync my initiative.

Hawk: Dive put it at ground level, so it's landed, and takes a 5 foot step to N3.
Full Attack:
Talon 1: [roll0]
If Crit: [roll3]

Talon 2: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]
If threat: [roll6]
If Crit: [roll7]

Bite: [roll8]
Damage: [roll9]
If threat: [roll10]
If Crit: [roll11]

Gail: Standard: Slam Attack
Slam: [roll12]
Damage: [roll13]
If threat: [roll14]
If Crit: [roll15]

(modifiers include flanking bonus)

My action:Move: W4 to U6, then west to N6
Jump Check:[roll16]
(roll includes a +8 modifier for speed greater than 30)
Standard: Begin casting. Summon Nature's Ally I, sacrificing a Longstrider spell to spontaneously cast.

Gail:

Hawk:
HP: 17/32
Effects: Summoned 2/30

chilepepper
2008-04-16, 12:10 AM
ref chilepepper

Hang on a sec, I see a ref question that needs answering, but I'm going to take a minute to make sure everything's legal while I'm here. I'll edit this post when I've figured everything out.

Everything looks to be in order.

LlincePsionic Charm targets one humanoid. Humanoid is a 'type' of creature listed at the top of the stat blocks with size. Gail is an air elemental, type=elemental. The Dire Hawk type=animal. Neither is a valid target for Psionic Charm.

Match continues.

FlyMolo
2008-04-16, 04:36 PM
Gail's dive triggers my elemental's readied action. It was meant to hit the hawk if it stepped into an area where I could get a clear shot, but hey.
[roll0]touch AC=?[roll1]

My internet is becoming a little fruity. I'll try and post enough to not get disqualified, but I won't be able to post for a day or two at least.

Talic
2008-04-16, 05:42 PM
The touch attack misses Gail. That should be match.

Edit: No matter what attack you Immediate action to get rid of, the rest still get through, and of the 4 that hit, any two can put you unconscious.

FlyMolo
2008-04-18, 11:17 AM
The touch attack misses Gail. That should be match.

Edit: No matter what attack you Immediate action to get rid of, the rest still get through, and of the 4 that hit, any two can put you unconscious.

True dat. Good game, btw. I was outclassed quite badly. Tactically especially. I should pick up Up The Walls myself. It's simply too good to go without, mobility-wise.

Edit: You want to pick up a ref, or should I?

FlyMolo
2008-04-18, 03:10 PM
Let's see, I used both my powerstones, and got the crystal back... I used one crossbow bolt, but I have spares.

Okay, that's cool. I'm off to retrain my powers known and buy some handy objects.

Mavian
2008-04-20, 07:36 AM
High Ref Mav:

Bobo is declared the winner and receives the commiserate prizes