PDA

View Full Version : Help on making a LN Death Cleric

Killer Qban
2008-04-11, 02:01 AM
The basics of it:

Level: 7

32 Point Buy

Books Allowed:
Core/SRD, PHB2, DMG2, Complete series, XPH, Tome of Battle, Spell Compendium and Magic Item Compendium

'Complete' Books I have: Adventurer,Arcane,Champion,Divine,Mage,Psionic,War rior

Races Alllowed: Any race meant to be player races but no more than LA +1

-------------------------------------------------------------------

The direction I'm going so far:

Race: Assimar (LA+1, nice +2 to Wis and Cha for Cleric)
Alignment: Lawful Neutral (Assimars can be LN right?)
Class: Cleric (Multiclassing? Eh...)
Diety: Wee Jas
Domains: DEATH, DOMINATION (PHB2)
Stats (can change):
STR 12
DEX 14
CON 12
INT 10
WIS 16(18)
CHA 14(16)

My thoughts: I dont want to do multiclassing if at all possible. I want to make a cleric who is heavy on using undead to spread his message of the inevitability of death. I want him to use alot of summoning/ controlling/ rebuking of undead thus the Death Domain. Definitely will be memorizing alot of Summon Undeads for combat and the like. Maybe have him always have a few undead travelling with him doing his chores and keeping watch. And for preaching the word of Death I chose the Domination Domain (More for demanding respect than exerting control). Also thinking of making him a Spontaneous Domain Casting (PHB2 p.37) with his Domination Domain (Dunno about that Death Domain with SDC)

I'm not too sure how the "buying out LA" thing works so I dont know what actual cleric level he will be if he pays it off at 3rd...one level lower (6th)? I dunno...

What kinda FEATS and MAGIC ITEMS would make him a good Death's Messenger? I'm not trying to go evil on him. I know summoning and creating undead is an evil act but I figure he wont see using undead as a problem but more as creating "helping hands" given to him by his diety...well that along with him being "holier than thou" and not dirtying his own hands when things get rough.

Feats and Items I'm looking at:
-Touch of Distraction Reserve Feat (CM p.48, just to strengthen my Domination Domain Spells)
-Ruby Skull of Wee Jas Holy Symbol (CChmp p.134, to boost my turns, Death and Necromancy spells)

Jack Mann
2008-04-11, 02:30 AM
How set are you on aasimar? That is, what makes it appealing to you?

If it's a story thing, that's fine, but if you're looking for a more powerful character, then even with LA buy-off, you're better off playing a race with no LA. The +2 to wisdom and charisma are not worth being delayed in spellcasting progression. You'll be giving up those nice 4th level spells.

Certainly, it's not crippling, and an aasimar cleric of death could be interesting, but I'd like to know what your priorities are there.

Tempest Fennac
2008-04-11, 02:43 AM
I'm kind of curious about why you prioritised Dex over Con and Str (I tend to see it as a relatively non-important stat for Clerics due to their armour and shield proficiencies, and the fact that you will probably need to be on the frontline for emergency healing unless there's another Divine Caster in the group). Fluffwise your charactr is interesting, but I agree with Jack Mann about LA. I'll try and find a homebrew LA 0 Aasimar for you in a minute.

EDIT: This link contains 1 LA 0 Aasimar. It doesn;t have the stat bonuses, but it should still be fine flavour-wise: http://www.enworld.org/archive/index.php/t-200591.html

Killer Qban
2008-04-11, 07:19 PM
Hmmm, Assimar was just for flavor but yeah like I said before I dunno the total repercussions of an LA +1 class. I had originally made him Human cuz penalties suck. Oh and I forgot to mention its 3.5 version in case that changes stuff alot. The LA 0 Assimar looks kewl but not too sure if the DM would take it. So Human would be the better choice? extra feat and skill points doesnt hurt...

As for the Dex vs Con...looking over some other threads I'm guessing HP is better than AC so I could prolly switch that around. As for Strength I didn't want it to be too weak for the sole purpose of armor,shield and all that stuff weighing me down and slowing my movement (Hmmm, not that I would be moving much with minions huh). Now with those issues aside, what else?

There anyway to be able to summon quickly? or amplify summoning with items or feats?