PDA

View Full Version : Creating a god of revenge

Narmoth
2008-04-11, 06:30 AM
Well, the title really says it all. I'm making a god of revenge. Anny suggestions on the fluff, as I'll stat him out myself after the 2nd ed rules.
Here's what I've written so far:

The Dark Judge, The Hatebringer, The Worldslayer, Axphinthal …
Many are the names of this god, for he has worshippers in many lands and of many races.
Once a mortal warrior and great sorcerer, he aquired terrible power to slay a demon to avenge the destruction of his people. Upon slaying the demon, he absorbed the demons essence, gaining power equal to a god. He was hoping to reunite with his loved ones in heaven after this deed, but he was denied access because of his demonic power that made him immortal.

Now he sits alone on his throne of black marble in the empty wasteland that once was the realm of the defeated demon, a dark lord of revenge, the final judge of mortals and celestials, hearing everything and interveaning where no other deity will.
He doesn’t send avatars, but will sometimes descend himself to fight some great injustice. Then cities will burn and armies will be anihilated. He rages on until the other gods mass together and banish him back to his abbysal wasteland.

He will sometimes appear to a dying person that has failed a just revenge, offering a second chance for revenge by prolonging his life to the time that the revenge is fullfilled.
He might also ansver a person praying to the gods to bring somebody to justice, either by granting the person clerical powers to be albe to avenge himself, or sending one of his priests in case the person is unable to accomplish his mission on his own.

This is a part of the recollection of the great warlord Khan Rojsha of the Waladil clan of his meeting with the god, told on his deathbed to his son after defeating the Khan of Ghani:

“...and as I looked out on the burning tents of my people, the mutilated corpses of children and their mothers, of old men tortured to death for trying to fight back the invaders, my heart was filled by hate, and I swore to slay the Ghanis whenever I met them. But I was powerless, a boy with broken arms and legs nailed to a wall for the invaders entertaiment.
Then He came: a dark shadow in the full noon. A being looking like a man, clad in a dark armour of a complexity I’ve never seen forged. And his eyes burned, and all plants died where his ironclad boods touched the ground.
He ripped me off the wall, filling my tormented body with agony. He didn’t say anything, just looked in my eyes, reading my mind, my soul and judging me.
With his hands as cold as deaths embrace he laid me on the ground, and I couldn’t feel my wounds anymore. I asked him: “Are you death? Have you come to take me to the halls of my kin?”
The fire dissapeared from his gaze, and he seemd sad. And thought hes lips weren’t moving I heard him say: “I am death, and I have come for you, but not to take you away.
For your life isn’t mine yet.” And he saw my thirst for revenge, and I knew that he would aid me and that I would live until justive was done on the Ghani. And he spoke once more. “Stand up and find all who breathe still. Lay your hands on their wounds and the wouns will close. Lay you hands onthe eyes of the blind, and they will see again.
They will be your army, and you will have your revenge.”
And I read it in his eyes, that I would not die before my people was awenged, and that there would be no life for me but the revenge either.
And so, my quest over, I have to pay my last debt my son. I see him greating me now, and I will fight for him once again, when he calls me from the halls of our kin...”

Shades of Gray
2008-04-11, 07:05 AM
Seems really good. I think he should give geas/quest spells to people, in case they use their "second chance" to live a normal life.

Seems like a really cool god with a nice backstory 5/5.

Narmoth
2008-04-11, 07:10 AM
thanx.
I thought for some time about geas on the priests as well, but I think that the abandoning of faith rules will be suficient.

Abbott
2008-04-11, 08:10 AM
What's this guy's alignment? I don't think you can justify Lawful Evil, so I'd probably say that Lawful Neutral is the way to go - though virtually any alignment but NE and CE could work.

Lord Tataraus
2008-04-11, 09:04 AM
Well, for fluff suggestions, look into the existing gods of revenge: Kurell (CN: Jealousy, Revenge, Theft - Greyhawk), Hoar (LN: Revenge, Retribution, Poetic Justice - FR), Fury (NE: Anger, Extremism, Insanity, Passion, Revenge - Eberron the Dark Six), Gelf Darkearth (CN: Entropy, Revenge - Races of Stone Gnomish god), Orcus (CE: Undeath, Revenge - Fiendish Cortex Demon)

Right there you've got two CN and one LN, NE, and CE gods of Revenge to steal borrow from.

Narmoth
2008-04-11, 04:11 PM
good suggestions, I'm shure, Lord Tataraus. But I don't own any of thsoe books, as I play AD&D in a homebrewed singleplanar world based ont the work of Tolkien (heavy modified though), so I never bought any setting specific books except the underdark books fro 2nd ed.

And the gods aligment is LN.
His worshippers can be CG, LN or LE. All aligments that allow for revenge in stead of going through the ordinary system of jsutice, and who would want to avenge soemone but themselves.

Magnor Criol
2008-04-11, 04:42 PM
Though you're of course completely allowed to change this rule as you see fit, typically speaking, clerics of a god can only be within one step of the god's diety - so your LN deity could have LG, LN, N, or LE clerics. (You used the word 'worshipers', but since simple worshipers usually aren't restricted by alignment in any way, I assumed you were defining his clerics.)

I don't really think you can label those three alignments as justice-circumventing. Maybe you could pin an entire ethical or moral axis as such, but those three alone are too disparate to be making broad statements like that. Why are CG creature more prone to justice-avoiding revenge than LG or CE creatures? The same question for LE creatures.

Narmoth
2008-04-12, 04:08 PM
Yes, the aligment is a problem. I'm not shure if any good aligned priests shoudl be possible.

Devils_Advocate
2008-04-14, 04:03 PM
His worshippers can be CG, LN or LE. All aligments that allow for revenge in stead of going through the ordinary system of jsutice, and who would want to avenge soemone but themselves.
So... What, they're not allowed to use the ordinary system of justice in order to pursue revenge? Or do they just have to be willing to go outside it? Also, any alignment allows for that so long as you don't run alignment as a straitjacket. (And for pity's sake, don't run alignment as a straitjacket.)

Actually, I'm not even clear on what you mean by "ordinary system of justice".

I think it's pretty simple, really. Dedicating your life to just revenge in the service of a god is hella Lawful. If you're trying to bring down a great evil in order to protect the innocent, that's Good. If you hurt innocent people in order to achieve your personal vengeance, that's Evil.

I only know how alignment works in 3E, though. I get the impression that it may be a bit screwier in 2E.