PDA

View Full Version : The Nine Sides?

SPoD
2008-04-11, 07:35 AM
Rather than clutter the main thread about it, here is a thread to figure out what the nine sides are in this conflict.

My thoughts:

1.) The OOTS
2.) The Sapphire Guard/Hinjo
3.) Kubota/Therkla/Qarr
4.) Redcloak and the hobgoblins
5.) Xykon/Tsukiko/Monster in the Darkness
6.) The remaining members of the Order of the Scribble
7.) Linear Guild
8.) Eugene Greenhilt
9.) Sabine's three masters

The only downside to that reckoning is that we know about all of them, and the roach implies that there's at least one we DON'T know about yet. Unless that statement refers to Redcloak not knowing about them, in which case that could refer to several of these.

Cainen
2008-04-11, 07:36 AM
Chaotic/Neutral/Lawful

Evil/Neutral/Good

Extrapolate from there.

SPoD
2008-04-11, 07:38 AM
I get what you're saying, but I don't think so. There is not one team in this story that represents each alignment, and there are several teams that cross alignments (such as the OOTS themselves). There is no "Chaotic Good team" in this story, nor is there any "Chaotic Neutral team". So every alignment is not represented as a "side" in THIS specific conflict.

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-04-11, 07:43 AM
Maybe the "Teams" are combined a bit more:

1. The Order of the Stick/Eugene Greenhilt
2. Sapphire Guard/Hinjo
3. Linear Guild/Sabine's Overlords
4. Kubota/Therkla/Qarr
5. Lord Tyrinar
6. Redcloak and the hobgoblins
7. Order of the Scribble (Girard Draketooth and Serinin Toormuck)
8. Xykon/Tsukiko/Monster in the Darkness
9. ???

There might be more merging as well... Combine Xykon with Redcloak, or the Order of the Scribble with the Order of the Stick.

SPoD
2008-04-11, 07:45 AM
I think half the point of this strip was that Redcloak and Xykon are NOT on the same team, merely allied teams.

Tass
2008-04-11, 07:46 AM
Every single individual to some extend has their own wishes/goals/agendas. Some has so many in common, and/or are so friendly towards each other, that we group them in teams together. The number of sides simply depends on where you choose to draw the line.

SPoD
2008-04-11, 07:47 AM
Every single individual to some extend has their own wishes/goals/agendas. Some has so many in common, and/or are so friendly towards each other, that we group them in teams together. The number of sides simply depends on where you choose to draw the line.

I agree, but I don't think the roach would have made a statement of such a specific number if it weren't intended as a clue on the part of the author.

kabbor
2008-04-11, 07:51 AM
I think the message is that this story is going to get even more complicated!!! Just what it needs:smallconfused:

Uncle Festy
2008-04-11, 07:53 AM
Darnit! I was just about to post this thread!
:smalltongue:

Phase
2008-04-11, 07:54 AM
Don't forget about the resistences! They may count as one, or three. Most likley one, seeing how often the roaches break down that stupid forth wall.

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-04-11, 07:54 AM
I agree, but I don't think the roach would have made a statement of such a specific number if it weren't intended as a clue on the part of the author.

That's why I merged them the way I did... Team Xykon and Team Redcloak are separate, and working towards separate goals. But The Order of the Stick and Eugene Greenhilt have pretty much the same goals.

Same with Sabine's overlords... To them, the Linear Guild is just a tool to be used for their own purposes. Once Nale fugures out he's being used, his ego won't allow it and he'll try a breakaway.

But the lines and groupings can be argued (and on these boards, you KNOW they will be!), with no solid answer until Rich decided to do the big reveal.

Heliomance
2008-04-11, 07:55 AM
Somehow, I knew this thread would already be here :)

Underground
2008-04-11, 08:03 AM
Every single individual to some extend has their own wishes/goals/agendas. Some has so many in common, and/or are so friendly towards each other, that we group them in teams together. The number of sides simply depends on where you choose to draw the line. I agree. Even the Order of the Stick doesnt have the same agenda. Just check out how Greenhilt had to negotiate for the sidequest which gave him his sword.

Pulsecode
2008-04-11, 08:06 AM
I... took it as an off-the-cuff quip about how convoluted the situation was getting, rather than an exact enumeration.

Uncle Festy
2008-04-11, 08:11 AM
I... took it as an off-the-cuff quip about how convoluted the situation was getting, rather than an exact enumeration.

Welcome to the internet, Pulsecode.

DomaDoma
2008-04-11, 08:33 AM
'Sides, they said at least nine. This isn't the first time the Giant has put something in just to mess with our heads.

jamroar
2008-04-11, 10:15 AM
Rather than clutter the main thread about it, here is a thread to figure out what the nine sides are in this conflict.

I count eight main faction goals so far -

1. The Order of the Stick (protect the remaining gates in order to prevent the Snarl from destroying the world, its prison)
2. Xykon (to possess a gate for world domination, and for the lulz)
3. Redcloak and the Hobgoblins (to possess a gate as bargaining chip, and to maintain occupation of Azure City as step for establishment of goblin nation)
4. Nale (to possess a gate for world domination)
5. Sabine and her fiendish Masters, ?Qarr? (???)
6. Hinjo and the Sapphire Guard (find a place of safety for the refugees, and retake Azure City from the hobgoblin horde)
7. Lord Kubota and minions (to retake Azure City from the hobgoblin horde, and usurp the throne from Hinjo)
8. The Gods (to keep the Snarl imprisoned at all costs to prevent it from destroying themselves, even if it means remaking the current world).
9. ???

blackspeeker
2008-04-11, 10:21 AM
Don't forget about the resistences! They may count as one, or three. Most likley one, seeing how often the roaches break down that stupid forth wall.

They should be counted as one now, there goals are all the same now that Haley has left AC.

slayerx
2008-04-11, 01:37 PM
Well, if were focusing on the gates...

1. OotS
2. Xykon
3. Goblins
4. Saphire Guard
5. Quarr
6. Linear Guild
7. Sabine's masters
8. The gods
9. the remaining order of the scribble

Other sides such as the Azure city resistance, Kabuta, Lord Tyrinar, and so forth, i do not include as they do not concern themselves with the gates... Kabuta and the resistance are only concerned with the city, not with controlling the gates... Lord Tyrinar has not been shown and likely does not even know of the gates and may never will... Quarr i including under the fact that their has to be a reason beyond taking over azure city as to why a demon/devil would be working with Kabuta; it's likely that he is just using Kabuta... however, it is possible that Quarr is a minion of Sabine's masters

Also, the roaches say "they don't know about some of those yet"... they may not have been talking about the readers, but about the goblins... Redcloak definatly doesn't know about some of the ones being listed...

Speaking of other sides...

one thing i've been wondering... Considering how 4 months have past, what exactly are some of these other sides doing? In particular Nale and Sabine's masters. When Nale escaped he bascially said that he was going to go after another gate as Azure city had too many sides involved... And sabine's master could likely be doing the same thing... not knowing where the gates are could slow them down, but they could have made some serious progress...

Redcloak as been spending so much time in azure city not realizing that the other sides could already be way ahead of him on getting to the next gates

Juron Pilo
2008-04-11, 01:50 PM
Don't forget the godly factions.

The dark one at least has differing plans.

David Argall
2008-04-11, 03:01 PM
The wording was at least nine, and some of which are unknown.

We have proposed well above a dozen, and we can assume several sides are unknown to us.

So don't take seriously any list suggested.

Chronos
2008-04-11, 04:12 PM
Other factions not yet mentioned:

Belkar Bitterleaf. Goal: Kill lots of things
The Demon Roaches. Goal: Promote as much suffering as possible, because it's funny.
Leeky Windstaff. Goal: Destroy the blight of civilization on the world.
The Monster in the Darkness. Goal: Eat stew.

Gamerlord
2008-04-11, 04:38 PM
qouted for truth

Platinum_Mongoose
2008-04-11, 04:47 PM
1. The Kingdom of Nowhere.
2. The Kingdom of Somewhere.
3. The Kingdom of Anywhere.
4. The Dirt Farmers.
5. The Democratic State of Someplace Else.
6. Trees. Evil, evil trees.
7. That Potion Shop from Strip 135
8. You have not yet unlocked this faction!
9. You have not yet unlocked this faction!

stsasser
2008-04-11, 05:13 PM

Go Team Stew!

hazzaboner
2008-04-11, 05:27 PM
Although I think it's just a joke, you guys are all forgetting about the Snarl!
The Snarl. Goal: Eat stew.

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-04-11, 05:32 PM
The wording was at least nine, and some of which are unknown.

We have proposed well above a dozen, and we can assume several sides are unknown to us.

So don't take seriously any list suggested.

Oh, I never do! :smalltongue:

Lumenadducere
2008-04-11, 05:33 PM
I'm fairly sure the roaches were talking about the audience (us) not knowing all of 'em yet, not just Team Evil.

Zeitgeist
2008-04-11, 05:40 PM
4. The Dirt Farmers.

What?? I just finished level 3 in only 3:22 and I got 2 accuracy and 3 head shot awards and I still didn't unlock 8?

Nota Biene
2008-04-11, 06:03 PM
I'm pretty sure the Giant just intended it as a throw away joke about the alignments as the roaches break the fourth wall, though its interesting to consider these possibilities.

Draz74
2008-04-11, 06:10 PM
Hmmm. I'd say the major 9 are:

1) OOTS
2) Azure City (Hinjo, Resistance)
3) Xykon
4) Goblins
5) Linear Guild
6) Kubota/Qarr
7) Lord Tyrinnar
8) Sabine's Overlords
9) ???

(7) and (8) have been hinted at, but still may qualify as "we don't know abouts."

The gods don't seem to be doing much in the whole mess except giving spells to Clerics.

Of course the "at least" nine comment could be because every character potentially has their own agenda. If you quibble within each of my 9 sides (e.g. "Belkar separate from the rest of the OOTS"), you can certainly come up with more than 9.

You can also come up with more than 9 by including ones that, while fun, I don't think are important enough to qualify as major sides in the plot. This includes the assassins trying to assassinate the King of Nowhere, the lawyers, the flumphs ...

If (9) has been hinted at at all, it could be either Serini Toormuck or Haley's old Thieves' Guild.

I don't think any of the Order of the Crayons except Serini would still come into the story -- unless maybe if our OotS, late in the story, manages to beat Xykon enough to steal his soul gem thingies. Girard is probably already dead, being a short-lived human, just like Soon. (Dorukan might have still been alive if not for Xykon, barely, but he seemed the youngest of the Crayon group anyway.) The possibility that Serini is still alive is intriguing, though.

Morgan Wick
2008-04-11, 08:43 PM
I posted in the main thread on this...

8.) Eugene Greenhilt

First, he's dead and not likely to come back. Second, he and Roy fight a lot but how are they not on the same side?

I get what you're saying, but I don't think so. There is not one team in this story that represents each alignment, and there are several teams that cross alignments (such as the OOTS themselves). There is no "Chaotic Good team" in this story, nor is there any "Chaotic Neutral team". So every alignment is not represented as a "side" in THIS specific conflict.

The point of the post you were replying to is that was what the roach was referring to, not what you extrapolate from it. Which is just plain wrong, as shown by the second roach's comment (unless that's Rich just Mind Screwing (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MindScrew)with us).

Why have so many people forgotten about the recent unification? Unless you're implying that the unified resistance is liable to splinter back up... remember, the two non-OOTS resistances had very different opinions on Hinjo...

Also, the roaches say "they don't know about some of those yet"... they may not have been talking about the readers, but about the goblins... Redcloak definatly doesn't know about some of the ones being listed...

Possible, but considering the nature of the roaches...

If we're looking at a bare minimum number of sides, you could just say: OOTS/Hinjo/Resistance/Order of the Scribble, Goblins, Xykon, Linear Guild/Sabine's Bosses, Kubota, plus four more we don't know about. But saying it's just those five makes me wonder how we could get to nine, given how condensed we just made it.

The climactic final battle at Kraagor's Gate looks to be one heck of a clusterbleep. All the parties could arrive there at the end of the penultimate book and battle it out to the end... or the whole battle could take two books.

Remirach
2008-04-11, 09:02 PM
Hah, I love that the Giant did this just to mess with our heads. Are certain related groups distinct "sides" or part of the same one? When Redcloak refers to the "conflict," does he mean "the people fighting over the gates directly" or just any group who has gotten into conflict with a group who IS involved with the Gate Conflict? And when the roach refers to "them" not knowing about all the sides, does it mean RC and Jirix or the readership at large?

I tried making THAT list (groups with stated goals who've ever been in conflict) and wound up with something grossly over-complicated... maybe I've just been wondering too much lately what Nale is up to.

"The Order of the Stick"
LED BY: Roy Greenhilt (deceased)
OTHER MEMBERS: Haley, Elan, Vaarsuvius, Belkar, and Durkon
ALLIES: The Sapphire Guard, Celia
STATED GOAL: to destroy Xykon
CURRENT STATUS: Aiding Hinjo and attempting to Raise Roy.
REASON FOR CONFLICT: Directly oppose Xykon's continued existence

"Team Evil"
LED BY: Xykon
OTHER MEMBERS: Tsukiko, The Monster In The Darkness
ALLIES: The Dark Church
STATED GOAL: world domination
CURRENT STATUS: building various magical devices in preparation for next assault
REASON FOR CONFLICT: Believes seizing a Gate can lead to the stated goal.

"The Dark Church"
LED BY: The Dark One (spiritual mentor)
OTHER MEMBERS: The High Priest ("Redcloak") as acting head, Jirix and the other hobgoblins in Azure City, the Dark One's worshipers in general
ALLIES: Team Evil
STATED GOAL: equality for goblinoids
CURRENT STATUS: Consolidating hobgoblin power in Azure City
REASON FOR CONFLICT: Believes seizing a Gate can lead to the stated goal.

"The Linear Guild"
LED BY: Nale, Super-Genius
OTHER MEMBERS: Sabine, Thog, various part-timers
ALLIES: Possibly the Dark Overlords
STATED GOAL: petty revenge
CURRENT STATUS: Attempting to seize a Gate unawares
REASON FOR CONFLICT: Following up on Nale's "eeeeevil potential" and a desire to smash the OOTS, Elan in particular

"Dark Overlords"
LED BY: The Dark Overlords
OTHER MEMBERS: Sabine
ALLIES: Possibly the Linear Guild
STATED GOAL: to tip the world's balance in favor of evil
CURRENT STATUS: Current activities are unknown
REASON FOR CONFLICT: have not yet taken an overt action

"The Sapphire Guard"
LED BY: Lord Hinjo
OTHER MEMBERS: Lien, O-Chul, House Kato, most of the refugees
ALLIES: The Order of the Stick
STATED GOAL: Restoration of Azure City
CURRENT STATUS: Recruiting new members, seeking asylum
REASON FOR CONFLICT: Want Azure City back under Hinjo's control

"The Order of the Scribble"
LED BY: No stated leader
OTHER MEMBERS: Soon (deceased), Lirian (deceased), Dorokan (deceased), Kraagor (deceased and annihilated), Serini and Girard
ALLIES: Potentially with anyone willing to defend the Gates
STATED GOAL: to defend the Gates
CURRENT STATUS: 2 Gates still stand, and their defenders are not confirmed dead.
REASON FOR CONFLICT: Oppose all attempts to control or destroy the Gates, due to the danger of the Snarl
Personally these guys all get my vote as "sides." That's 7 of 9. I think the others are unknown, but to draw from people we've seen or heard of elsewhere, we have (overly-complete list):

"Land of Tyrania"
LED BY: Lord Tyrinar
OTHER MEMBERS: Everybody underneath Lord Tyrinar
ALLIES: None known
STATED GOAL: To stay in power
CURRENT STATUS: Believed to still be in power
REASON FOR CONFLICT: Has imprisoned Ian Starshine

"The Resistance"
LED BY: Thanh
OTHER MEMBERS: Niu, and every other free human in Azure City
ALLIES: The Order of the Stick, until recently
STATED GOAL: To oppose the invaders
CURRENT STATUS: implementing general insurgency tactics
REASON FOR CONFLICT: Want Azure City back under human control

"Team Kubota"
LED BY: Kubota
OTHER MEMBERS: Therkla, other ninja assassins
ALLIES: Dark Advisors
STATED GOAL: To install Kubota as leader of Azure City
CURRENT STATUS: Attempting to assassinate Hinjo
REASON FOR CONFLICT: Oppose Hinjo's rulership (or the rulership of anyone not named Kubota)

"Dark Advisors"
LED BY: Leaders uncertain
OTHER MEMBERS: Quarr (only known representative)
ALLIES: Team Kubota
STATED GOAL: To install Kubuta as leader of Azure City
CURRENT STATUS: Advising Kubota and assisting in his schemes
REASON FOR CONFLICT: Ulterior motives are unknown

"The Oracle of Sunken Valley"
LED BY: Tiamat (spiritual adviser)
OTHER MEMBERS: The Oracle (acting head) and his various minions
ALLIES: Anybody with cash
STATED GOAL: To obtain wealth
CURRENT STATUS: Alive
REASON FOR CONFLICT: Gave a snippy answer Roy didn't think was worth the money he'd paid

"The Inept Assassin Duo"
LED BY: Leaders/employers unknown
OTHER MEMBERS: Dwarf rogue (?) and human Shadowdancer
STATED GOAL: To assassinate the King of Nowhere
CURRENT STATUS: Abandoned goal and have not been seen since
REASON FOR CONFLICT: Thought Roy was the King

"The Woman Scorned"
LED BY: Loki (spiritual mentor)
OTHER MEMBERS: Hilgya
ALLIES: None currently
STATED GOAL: To be free of Dwarven oppression
CURRENT STATUS: Unknown
REASON FOR CONFLICT: Pretended to be friends with Nale to steal the Talisman for Loki, just in time for Nale to double-cross the OOTS

"Linear Leftovers"
LED BY: Leeky Windstaff
OTHER MEMBERS: Pompey
ALLIES: None currently
STATED GOAL: Revenge on those who mistreat trees
CURRENT STATUS: Free and unaccounted for
REASON FOR CONFLICT: Was allied with Linear Guild, attacked innocents

"Cliffport City Police Force"
LED BY: The Mayor
OTHER MEMBERS: The chief (deceased), the Rookie (currently acting as chief), the other policemen
ALLIES: None
STATED GOAL: To preserve law and order
CURRENT STATUS: Still in power last we checked
REASON FOR CONFLICT: Nale committed a crime wave

"The Spoooky Lawyers"
LED BY: The Spooky Wizard of the Coast
OTHER MEMBERS: Phil Rodriguez and Mr. Jones
ALLIES: None, but their services are for hire
STATED GOAL: To preserve intellectual property and uphold laws in general (especially the ridiculous ones)
CURRENT STATUS: Alive
REASON FOR CONFLICT: Various technical violations of law

"The Holey Brotherhood"
LED BY: Unknown
OTHER MEMBERS: Brotherhood member seen fighting the OOTScb
STATED GOAL: to defend the rights of holes to exist
CURRENT STATUS: Unknown, very likely deceased
REASON FOR CONFLICT: Want Rifts to remain open

"Baron Pineapple"
LED BY: Probably Baron Pineapple
OTHER MEMBERS: None known
STATED GOAL: Unknown
CURRENT STATUS: Unknown, very likely deceased
REASON FOR CONFLICT: some sort of unspecified but lame villainy

"Demon Roaches"
LED BY: No stated leader besides the one who got to wear Xykon's crown for a time
OTHER MEMBERS: Just the roaches
ALLIES: Team Evil
STATED GOAL: To tear up walls
CURRENT STATUS: Alive, hilarious
REASON FOR CONFLICT: seem to enjoy Xykon's company

"The Snarl"
LED BY: The Snarl
OTHER MEMBERS: None
ALLIES: Nihilists, perhaps
STATED GOAL: to devour everything
CURRENT STATUS: Seething within its prison
REASON FOR CONFLICT: Is a being of vicious primal chaotic energy

As sadly nerdy as this list is I bet I'm STILL forgetting someone, but I didn't include most deceased people or the disbanded outlaws formerly led by Samantha and her dad.

Theodoriph
2008-04-11, 09:03 PM
No that I necessarily believe there are nine...but if there are indeed some we're not yet aware of (in the main comic)...

what about...

The Unholy Master and Ydranna (assuming he is different from the lord ordering Kubota around...can't compare text colours since SOD is in black and white :smallannoyed:

Personally I don't think The Order of the Scribble counts as their own side. They have (or would have) the exact same goals and motivations regarding the gates and Xykon as the OOTS.

Forealms
2008-04-11, 09:15 PM
4. The Dirt Farmers.

This is completely awesome :smallbiggrin:

Anywho, I have my own list:

1. Order of the Stick, stop the "end of the world" thing, defeat Xykon.
2. Xykon and MitD, take over the world, one gate at a time.
3. Redcloak, undo creation in the hopes of recreating goblins as more than XP fodder.
4. The Hobbos, establish a true nation of hobgoblins (and maybe slowly conquer other nations).
5. Hinjo and the Paladins, Retake Azure City and protect the remaining 2 gates.
6. Nale and Thog, take over the world through control of a gate.
7. Sabine and Overlords, control all known planes through an overwhelming assault by EVIL
X*. Unknown Party

* X > 7

Forealms
2008-04-11, 09:31 PM
Sorry, don't like double-posting (in case somebody hasn't posted already), but I just saw this:

Girard is probably already dead, being a short-lived human, just like Soon.

I wouldn't bet too much on that. Plotwise it seems that he just will not die yet, and will be a senile old man who attacks the OotS when they get too close to his gate. But he may still be alive, anyway (though pretty old) if he was a lot younger than Soon when they were adventuring. I mean, seriously, any 16 year old can grow a beard, and he seems young enough to have little-to-no faith in authority (aka Soon).

Also, I just noticed, in strip 277, he seems to have lost his beard. Maybe he shaved?

Remirach
2008-04-11, 09:41 PM
Personally I don't think The Order of the Scribble counts as their own side. They have (or would have) the exact same goals and motivations regarding the gates and Xykon as the OOTS.
Some similar goals, but not quite the same motivations. The Order of the Stick was formed specifically for killing Xykon, while the Scribble Order was founded to stop the Snarl. They moreover have their oath to not interfere with the other Gates, Roy's group isn't so constrained.

(It's terribly annoying that they both abbreviate to OOTS)

The Unholy Master and Ydranna (assuming he is different from the lord ordering Kubota around...can't compare text colours since SOD is in black and white

"The Unholy Alliance"
LED BY: The Unholy Master
OTHER MEMBERS: Yydranna, Keith Baker
ALLIES: none known
STATED GOAL: general villainy
CURRENT STATUS: Unaccounted for in the past 83 years
REASON FOR CONFLICT: Scorned Xykon for a leadership position and will ruthlessly crush him if they encounter him again

How about Xyklon the consequential? I don't even know what that guy IS, though...

Theodoriph
2008-04-11, 09:49 PM
Some similar goals, but not quite the same motivations. The Order of the Stick was formed specifically for killing Xykon, while the Scribble Order was founded to stop the Snarl. They moreover have their oath to not interfere with the other Gates, Roy's group isn't so constrained.

(It's terribly annoying that they both abbreviate to OOTS)

It is indeed. :smallsmile: Ever since Shojo though, the OOTStick's goal has been both containing the snarl and killing Xykon. While the OOTScribble may or may not know about Xykon...once they become aware of him and Redcloak...the goals of the two groups become compatible and virtually interchangeable.

"The Unholy Alliance"
LED BY: The Unholy Master
OTHER MEMBERS: Yydranna, Keith Baker
ALLIES: none known
STATED GOAL: general villainy
CURRENT STATUS: Unaccounted for in the past 83 years
REASON FOR CONFLICT: Scorned Xykon for a leadership position and will ruthlessly crush him if they encounter him again

How about Xyklon the consequential? I don't even know what that guy IS, though...

I don't know either...but the person who brings the snacks...mmm...Ben and Jerry's...is always a consequential and integral part of any campaign

Alex Warlorn
2008-04-11, 09:54 PM
Heh heh! I completely forgot about the Baron and the Brotherhood! It would be a laugh if they showed up determined to finish what they started.

Morgan Wick
2008-04-11, 10:05 PM
Also, keep in mind that Soon is the direct founder of the Sapphire Guard... even if the Order of the Scribble isn't part and parcel with the OOTS, it either has to be considered part of the SG or has to be two separate groups for the two members that aren't confirmed dead.

I was just about to make that long rundown of sides post, with the Scribble swapped out for Kubota and Co. I hope to make some sort of diagram in the near future, based on the strip itself only.

Trem
2008-04-11, 10:22 PM
Did everyone ignore the other cockroach? its pointless to try to figure out what the sides are since we a)dont know what exactly constitutes a "side" and b)its explicity stated WE DONT KNOW THEM.

Remirach
2008-04-11, 11:57 PM
its pointless to try to figure out what the sides are
What if we know we can't come up with definitive answers but are having fun?

LerkySuntreader
2008-04-12, 12:05 AM
:roach: says that he counts at least nine. Maybe there's more than nine... maybe there's more than ten... maybe *gasp* there's more than elven:smalleek:

Aquillion
2008-04-12, 01:15 AM
I don't think any of the Order of the Crayons except Serini would still come into the story -- unless maybe if our OotS, late in the story, manages to beat Xykon enough to steal his soul gem thingies. Girard is probably already dead, being a short-lived human, just like Soon. (Dorukan might have still been alive if not for Xykon, barely, but he seemed the youngest of the Crayon group anyway.) The possibility that Serini is still alive is intriguing, though.Was it confirmed that Girard was human? He could be half-elven, many of those look human.

Also, there's lots of ways to live longer even as a human. I mean, heck, if his group reached epic (we know Dorukan did) he could even take that stupid feat that extends your lifespan.

Nerdanel
2008-04-12, 04:17 AM
I'm not even sure Redcloak and the Dark One are truly on the same side...

Redcloak wants equality for the goblin race, preferably without destroying the world and all the goblins in it, although that would be acceptable in the absence of a better option.

But what if the Dark One wants to use the Snarl to kill all the other gods and destroy the world so that he can become the only god of the new world built in his image? He's Evil after all.

Remirach
2008-04-12, 02:42 PM
I'm not even sure Redcloak and the Dark One are truly on the same side...

Redcloak wants equality for the goblin race, preferably without destroying the world and all the goblins in it, although that would be acceptable in the absence of a better option.

But what if the Dark One wants to use the Snarl to kill all the other gods and destroy the world so that he can become the only god of the new world built in his image? He's Evil after all.

I think that would be awesome if Redcloak found out the god he'd spent his whole adult life in service to had lied to him the entire time. I mean, awful, but imagine what character development we'd get out of that!

Orzel
2008-04-12, 03:28 PM
Don't forget the foxes and their hapless gnome followers.

DementedFellow
2008-04-12, 06:34 PM
:roach: says that he counts at least nine. Maybe there's more than nine... maybe there's more than ten... maybe *gasp* there's more than elven:smalleek:

I am definitely banking on more than elven ;)

Kato
2008-04-13, 10:42 AM
Ok, I'll still try a serious list ^^

1) Xykon trying to get the Snarls power
2) Redcloak and the Hobgoblins trying to establish their own state
3) Nale & Co doing... whatever they plan to do.
4) The evil overlord things... probably destroying the world or something
5) Snarl, probably the same
6) the OOTS which are with Hinjo, trying to find their comrades
7) Roy trying to get back to life
8) Haley and Celia trying to get Roy back (?)
9) Hinjo trying to take over Azure City again
10) some evil lords trying to kill Hinjo
11) Roy's dad trying to get Xykon killed
12) Belkar trying to get rid of his mark so he can kill whatever he encounters (hey, I just figured out another O-Chul: 'Belkar does NOT want to kill O-Chul, cause he respects him')
How did I get 12 when there were supposed to be only 9? o.o

Alex Warlorn
2008-10-08, 12:15 AM
Hmm. Let see.

Team Evil. Check. Dark Church Check. Order of the Stick. Check. Liner Guild. Check. Tyrania. Check. Kubota. Check. Brotherhood. Check. Baron Pineapple. Check. Dark lords. Check.

However, I wonder if the guild and the dark lords really count as separate sides since it's very logical they're playing Nale to do their dirty work.

Hilgya is the only villain who was still active who isn't accounted for however and might be the ninth side.

It's also possible that the brotherhood and the baron are history so that would still leave two sides unaccounted for.

And that's of course assuming Kubota KNOWS about the Snarl at all.

B. Dandelion
2008-10-08, 01:29 AM
Holy thread necromancy, Batman! Actually I was wondering about this myself recently though. Back when the list went up, the only book I had was SoD. Now I have both prequels and the three collections.

However, I wonder if the guild and the dark lords really count as separate sides since it's very logical they're playing Nale to do their dirty work.
They were specifically broken up because we see in 380 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0380.html) that Sabine lies to Nale about her intent to keep her supervisors informed. She was very candid about being sent by the archfiends as a "concubine and advisor," (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0062.html) so what's the deal here?

"Do you love him?"
"Yeah. I mean, I think so. I mean, it's complicated." (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0385.html)

Apparently so.

It's also possible that the brotherhood and the baron are history so that would still leave two sides unaccounted for.
Most likely. Especially as we have yet to see anything of the Western continent which is apparently brimming all over with conflicts.

And that's of course assuming Kubota KNOWS about the Snarl at all.
I think it's safe to say "Team Kubota" is no more, whether or not Kubota knew jack about the Snarl. What Qarr and his allies were expecting to get out of the deal isn't known yet, they had some unspecified plans that would "proceed (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0484.html)" once Kubota was made lord.

TheNovak
2008-10-08, 02:14 AM
I've got another one that we haven't seen mentioned: the Elven Lands. They're on the Western Continent, the Order's very likely going to end up in 'em, and hey...elves always have some selfish ulterior motive that they try to play off as aloof nobility.

SoD
2008-10-08, 02:21 AM
Holy thread necromancy, Batman! Actually I was wondering about this myself recently though. Back when the list went up, the only book I had was SoD. Now I have both prequels and the three collections.

Que? I'm not a boo-oh! Sorry, misunderstanding.

Anyhoo, on topic: 9 sides, 9 alignments. Coincidence, I think not!