PDA

View Full Version : Bardic Music [Feats] (PEACH)

Kesnit
2008-04-11, 08:04 AM
Most Bards sing tales of courage, endurance, and power. But there are some who are trained in a different art. Ones who believe music should make listeners laugh and party. Any singer can make people smile, but it takes true art to be able to make them make fools of themselves and love every minute of it.

Barbie Girl
Enchantment / Mind-Affecting
Prerequisite: Perform 6, Bardic Music
Benefit: The target becomes confused.

The lyrics of this song almost seem to make sense to the listener, though they are strange enough to make anyone pause. A failed Will save (DC Bard's Perform check) causes the creature to stop and listen, trying to make sense of what it is hearing. The creature will always hear the lyrics in its own language. If a creature does not have a language, this ability automatically fails.

Using this feat requires one use of Bardic Music.

YMCA
Prerequisite: Perform 15, Bardic Music
Benefit: The target feels an overwhelming urge to dance.

To use the ability, a bard makes a Perform check. His check result is the DC for each affected creature’s Will save against the effect. If its saving throw fails, the creature begins a complicated routine that involves jumping up and down while throwing their arms (or arm-like appendiges) in the air in a set pattern over and over again. They can take no other actions, for as long as the bard continues to play and concentrate (up to a maximum of 1 round per bard level). Direct threats to the creature allow another Will save.

The Day the Music Died
Prerequisite: Perform 23, Inspire courage +4
Benefit: The target falls into a meloncholy mood, and may even begin to cry. This is considered the epitomy of Bardic power, and only the greatest can even dream of attaining it.

The DC of the check is 10 + 1/2 the Bard's level (rounded down) + the Bard's CHA modifier. If the target makes its save, nothing happens, though the Bardic Music use is still lost. On a failed save, the creature stops whatever it was doing and begins to weave in place. If the creature is capable of making sound, it will begin to "hum" along with the Bard and "sing along" with the chorus of the song. As long as the Bard keeps singing, the creature is incapable of action (including AoO's), though a direct threat allows the creature to make another Will save. A made second save breaks the enthrallment and allows the creature to act in a normal manner.

If the target fails its save by 10 or more, it begins to cry (or shake as if sobbing). This lasts as long as the Bard continues to sing, plus 5 rounds after the end of the song. Direct threats allow another Will save. Failing the Will save (by any amount) forces the creature to continue crying. A successful second save allows the creature to act as if it had merely failed the first save, though it still cannot react to a threat in that round.

I know the song is called "American Pie," but I thought this name fit the ability better.

Torger
2008-04-12, 10:51 PM
Congratulations, you've killed fantasy. I hope you're happy.

Seriously, though, I couldn't get past the names and the first sentence of the first one. If any player ever came to me with these, I'd reject them out of hand for gang-violating the esprit de coeur of the entire genre. No, nay, never.

Lappy9000
2008-04-12, 10:58 PM
As if bards need any reason to be sillier :smallbiggrin:

Seriously, though, I'm adding these to the ever-expanding list of content for my future joke-campaign.

TheLogman
2008-04-12, 10:59 PM
I on the other hand, think that these are some very wellthought-out, inventive, balanced feats. Granted, they have an aspect of silliness that is not suitable for some games, but I think they are both creative and a good way for a Bard to invest his feats and Bardic Music.

Torger
2008-04-12, 11:03 PM
The concepts might be somewhat sensible, but the implementation makes my teeth itch.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-12, 11:08 PM
Boy, I must resist the urge to counter with the incredibly mighty freebird and Paradise City Epic Feats...

Seriously, couldn't you pick better songs? Like I love rock and roll: Requires the bard to be female, functions like an irresistible dance, requires perform 15. Or Master of Puppets: Requires Perform 21, every foe must make a Will save against DC 14 + 1/2 bard level + CHA bonus or be subject to Dominate monster.

RTGoodman
2008-04-12, 11:29 PM
Despite other critiques, I really like this idea. I mean, if you ignore the name and any flavor text, this is exactly what Bards do anyway.

A couple of suggestions - maybe say that each use of the feats costs the Bard one daily use of his bardic music. I assume that's the intent, but I'd clarify that. For the YMCA, I'd increase the prerequisites. You're basically mirroring the irresistible dance (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/irresistibleDance.htm) spell, and that's a spell you couldn't get until like 13th level. maybe increase it to Perform: 15 ranks or something, and figure out something new to go in the middle at 10 ranks.

Also, you should point out if these are Enchantment (Compulsion) effects and/or are Mind-Affecting. (Hint: They are.)

Mando Knight
2008-04-13, 01:40 AM
As if bards need any reason to be sillier :smallbiggrin:

Seriously, though, I'm adding these to the ever-expanding list of content for my future joke-campaign.

No, see, that's when you find Weird Al's counterparts for the songs and play them. "The Saga Begins" comes to mind...

Perhaps you could add "Rock you like a Hurricane," which allows the Bard to use the spell "Whirlwind" as a Druid of the same level...

Tempest Fennac
2008-04-13, 01:52 PM
These aren't too bad. I suggested some similar songs a while back: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74027 (I'm trying to think of prequisites for a song called "Pale Shelter" which emulates Sanctuary on all allies within 30 ft. at the minute).

Kesnit
2008-04-14, 09:20 AM
Boy, I must resist the urge to counter with the incredibly mighty freebird and Paradise City Epic Feats...

Seriously, couldn't you pick better songs?

Sorry. Those are the songs that got stuck in my head. :smallredface:

Like I love rock and roll: Requires the bard to be female, functions like an irresistible dance, requires perform 15. Or Master of Puppets: Requires Perform 21, every foe must make a Will save against DC 14 + 1/2 bard level + CHA bonus or be subject to Dominate monster.

Nice. :smallsmile:

A couple of suggestions - maybe say that each use of the feats costs the Bard one daily use of his bardic music. I assume that's the intent, but I'd clarify that.

Done.

For the YMCA, I'd increase the prerequisites. You're basically mirroring the irresistible dance (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/irresistibleDance.htm) spell, and that's a spell you couldn't get until like 13th level. maybe increase it to Perform: 15 ranks or something, and figure out something new to go in the middle at 10 ranks.

Ah, OK... I've never used the spell, so I didn't know how it worked. Changed to Perform:15

Also, you should point out if these are Enchantment (Compulsion) effects and/or are Mind-Affecting. (Hint: They are.)

Changed.