PDA

View Full Version : Charisma arcanist

dman11235
2008-04-11, 08:19 PM
I'm trying to make a blaster caster that focuses on using the spell Hammer of Righteousness (BoED, sanctified), and I have found a snag. It's gestalt, and I'm doing this with Incarnate and one level of Binder (Naberius) for the stat regeneration and awesomeness (incarnate that is), and is level 5. My problem is, I don't want to play an int based caster. I would like to play a sorcerer or warmage (sorcerer preferred for utility and better skills), but they don't prepare spells, and as such cannot cast HoR without five levels of Exalted Arcanist. The benefits of cha based casting over int are skill synergy (I would like to have diplomacy and possibly bluff, Naberius makes them awesome skills to have), less MAD, and preference. If all else fails I'll need to have 5 stats (con for soulmelds, fort, and HP, cha for skills and binding (mainly skills), int for casting, dex for AC and reflex saves, and wis for meld DCs and will saves) as primary/secondary, but please help me avoid that. Any ways to get cha prepared casting? A class I'm not familiar with or a feat that could turn a wizard into a cha based caster?

Paul H
2008-04-11, 08:42 PM
Hi

Not entirely sure what you're after, here. (What/where are Binders & Incarnates from)?

You're right about 5 levels of Exalted Arcanist adding all those spells to a Warmage's list, which in itself is excellent, but the feat Arcane Preparation (CA Pg 73) allows spont casters to prepare spells ahead of time.

If you want more utilitarian spells Arcane Disciple allows you cast domain spells of your God 1/day. (You must be same alignment as your God). EG NG Warmage follower of Pelor could cast Healing Domain spells.

Round here GM's don't allow Book Exalted Deeds, but I can get mileage from True N Warmage follower of Ffarlaghn casting Haste, Dim. Door, Fly, Teleport etc. (Req. Arcane Disciple Celerity & Arcane Disciple Travel Domains).

Cheers
Paul H

Sucrose
2008-04-11, 08:45 PM
There's a feat in Complete Arcane- Arcane Preparation, I think, which allows Sorcerers to prepare their spell slots as wizards. I think that it's to allow sorcerers to quicken spells. Would that work for you?

dman11235
2008-04-11, 09:26 PM
I'm looking for either a way to have wizard (or Wu Jen, basically any arcane prepared caster) to use charisma as their casting stat, a new base class that uses cha to cast arcane spells and prepares, or a way to get Hammer of Righteousness on my spells known at level 5.

Arcane Preparation does not work because the spell you prepare must be on your spell list, and even if you can argue that since it's prepared you can put a sanctified spell in it, you can only do it with one spell/level (and a 1/day blaster isn't all that good at blasting now, is it?).

I may have to give up on my charisma. *sniff*

tyckspoon
2008-04-11, 09:40 PM
Neh? The Dandello listing for Arcane Preparation mentions no 1/level limit, and the C.Arcane errata says nothing about the feat. It should work for you... you might be mixing it with Arcane Disciple, which does have that limitation and is much less useful for it.

dman11235
2008-04-11, 09:46 PM
WTF? I just looked there and I swore it said something different. Well, if I can convince my DM that since I am now preparing spells, I can use them for sanctified spells, I'm golden. I'd still like to have a back up plan though.

bugsysservant
2008-04-11, 09:54 PM
Well, you'd have to run it by your DM, but sorcerers do have special, ill defined abilities to learn spells not on their lists.

A sorcerer casts arcane spells which are drawn primarily from the sorcerer/wizard spell list.

At each new sorcerer level, he gains one or more new spells... These new spells can be common spells chosen from the sorcerer/wizard spell list, or they can be unusual spells that the sorcerer has gained some understanding of by study. The sorcerer can’t use this method of spell acquisition to learn spells at a faster rate, however.

(emphasis mine)
I'm AFB, but if you can convince your DM that you have somehow gained a special understanding of Hammer of Righteousness, you do have a solid foundation in RAW for learning it. Yes, sanctified spells are prohibited to spontaneous casters, but the nebulous wording of the sorcerer's new spells section may allow you to get around that.

Tequila Sunrise
2008-04-11, 10:03 PM
I wouldn't try to using questionable text to justify what you want; just straight up ask your DM to put your Hammer spell on your spell list. I don't know what exactly it does, but if it's a blasty spell I can't imagine it breaking the sorcerer.

TS

dman11235
2008-04-11, 10:06 PM
It's an uncapped blasting spell. That's the important part. 1d6/level, more against evil. Though you take strength damage for using it. It's a powerful, fun spell, and I hope to have fun MMing the heck out of it while not suffering the drawbacks.

Aquillion
2008-04-11, 10:24 PM
Wait, how are you getting Hammer of Righteousness? I don't understand the combo you're using here... being a prepared caster has nothing to do with being able to cast HoR (which neither can do without a feat that adds it to their class list; in which case both can do it.)

dman11235
2008-04-11, 10:34 PM
Any prepared caster can cast sanctified spells. But only prepared casters can cast them, without Exalted Arcanist or DM fiat, or some other method which we are trying to figure out. Clerics are special in that they can spontaneously cast them as well as prepare them.

Now, if there is a feat which adds it to my spell list I'd love to know about it.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-11, 10:35 PM
Didn't Expanded Spell do that?

dman11235
2008-04-11, 10:43 PM
??? Extra Spell you mean? If so, that only works for spells on your spell list (and thus is worthless for Warmages). You might be confusing this with Expanded Knowledge, for psionics which does allow you to learn powers from other lists.

Nermy
2008-04-11, 11:00 PM
Another option is that you can always purchase a Staff of Hammer of Righteousness and use that with any Cha based spell-caster class.

Tokiko Mima
2008-04-12, 12:21 AM
You could pay a 11+ level Warlock to scribe an arcane version of that spell for ya, then add that spell to your spell list via study when you level up. Though the idea of a Warlock becoming a factory for exalted spells does strike me as hilarity in motion. :smallbiggrin: