PDA

View Full Version : Castle Builders (IC thread)

Halna LeGavilk
2008-04-11, 09:45 PM
You stand at the beginning of a dirt road leading into your newly acquired county, granted to you by the powerful king of the nation Gartonion. To the south, a large river sits in a valley next to a chain of mountains. North is a series of large, flowing hills, rich in ore.
To the North-west is a bountiful forest, with timber and lumber and creatures. South-west is another forest, this time covering a series of hills.

You have just camped for the night, with the complimentary wagons of the King near your small campsite, a small fire burning. The sky turns red as the sun slowly sinks, and the shadows of the small copse of trees near you dance in the basking sun. The smell of smoked meat waftes up from the campfire, and the high grass tickles your shins, playing with them.

What now?

LongVin
2008-04-11, 10:01 PM
Draco pokes at the campfire with a stick, watching the meat cook slowly. "I believe that we should begin by examining the damage to the keep. To see if it is salvagable at all. Then we'll know what type of crews we can bring in and how many."

pingcode20
2008-04-12, 01:39 AM
Bamnur Thattileshtan
"P'raps ye've fergotten, laddie, but th' fort was tek'd by tha Try-umm-verr-eight. Thar's no fort ta be had 'ere." explains Bamnur, patiently. "'ave you been 'at my ale supply again?"

Bamnur grins, putting down Bronzeshadow with a dull thud.

"B'sides yer imaginary keep, th' best place would be tha hills - Hard ta attack, on 'count of i' being on 'ills, an' we ken build a proper for'ress, with a good solid mine."

LongVin
2008-04-12, 11:52 AM
OOC: D'oh I thought we got the fort also.

IC: "Well that does not prevent us from 'salvaging' anything from the old one." Draco smirks and tosses the stick into the fire. "Though I do agree that the hills would make an excellent choice and mining is fine business. But we should keep the mines and keep seperate as much as possible, I don't want the monsters of the world below flooding up into my chamber."

Look to the rest assembled. "We'll also want to see if the rock in the mountains is suitable for a stone quarry. I am sure Bamnur could find us a good Dwarven Engineer to run this operation. We will need to establish farms, they don't turn much of a profit and take up space but we need a local source of food. A forestry company would be very profitable also. I could bring in people who can operate as foremen for both."

Nycthemeron
2008-04-13, 04:27 PM
Deyn stares into the fire in the darkness, strumming idly on his lyre. "The stone's going to be a problem, but I can do a good amount of the work with the lyre here. Personally I think we should be putting down roots by the river, we need people and money. We can develop the economic situation elsewhere on our lands and then tax everything that flows down the river.

All this," Deyn looks up wryly, "is very good and chartered companies will be a good idea but we need to ensure we have a governmental framework. Are we even technically jointly counts, what about the succession laws and how will we administer justice. Oh and we'll need a few troops to help guard this place and wear pretty uniforms, I may be able to rustle up some of them."

Jael_Darkwood
2008-04-13, 06:00 PM
Lucius

Lucius looks up breifly from a Grimoire he found in the library. "Hmm? Uh-Err... Yes! Capital idea, planning, capital. I suggest we build on rock next to the river, if we can find such a combination... rivers are so terribly convenient..."

He pauses for a moment to consider.

"Perhaps we should hire some herbalists, trademasters, and such... people expert at seeing what will make money, what is useful, and so on."

He pauses to see what reaction his input garners, finger still holding his spot in the forbidding tome.

Sorry for the delay :)

Can't remember exactly, but I seem to remember that rulers get quite upset if you simply offered their peasants better living conditions and convinced them to come along... but perhaps we can get some pioneers from the king? Preferably retired soldiers, they make excellent landlords... get ourself some tenant farmers, some lean old ex-military types... thats my kind of income source :)

pingcode20
2008-04-13, 07:28 PM
Bamnur Thattileshtan
"We ken stick a fort on the river and tax things like that - if we're on tha hills, I's going ta be tough ta attack once we're dug in. An' we ken have tunnels ta tha other places, too." argues Bamnur, in the 'debating' fashion rather than the 'roaring drunk and angry' fashion. "Dwarves ken hold their own underground, an' we ken always bring in some undergrounders ta settle tha deep firs'. 'Sides, I've already got 'bout 60 hardy lads ready ta excavate tha place coming in 'bout a week b'hind us wi' supplies, an' the Dwarf King 'greed to send a trading caravan once a month. I ken always send fer more, if we ken pay."

Nycthemeron
2008-04-13, 07:49 PM
"Dwarves certainly can hold their own underground, and," Deyn balances his hands against each other, "I may be able to use a family contact or two to garner some Elven woodsmen for our forest. We are going to want to build outposts in several places so we won't loose anything by scouting our land out thoroughly or even helping to set up a number of villages. However we are going to need a centrepiece and it will be better off in the centre of transport and civilisation, which looks like it'll be down by that river."

ooc: As to legality and various other things, serfs were only forbidden form leaving the lands of their overlords under some systems and it was often not enforced. We need to know how things work in this world, and the details of our being granted this land, is our leader Nadija a Baroness, Viscountess, Countess, Marchioness or holder of some other title, or do we each hold titles over these lands, in which case we'd have to come up with some governing system though that could be held off until we have some people to govern.

LongVin
2008-04-13, 08:02 PM
"Either the river or the hills then. We should conduct a survey to see which site is more suitable. The ground by the river might be too weak. But we can always put an outpost there or part of the township to regulate trade." Pausing for a moment, Draco pulls off a small piece of the cooking meat to check to see if it is done. "I would leave the formation of an army up to you Deyn. Make sure our borders are secure and that our neighbors don't get any ideas. I can establish a body of men to keep order internally, and make sure everyone pays their taxes, that they don't revolt and keep spies out."

Most rulers would be annoyed if you took their serfs away. But Draco is only planning to get settlers(and only his family to boot) from his birthplace, which is a tiny impoverished county. Not much of a threat there.

Also we can always market ourselves as a safe haven location. And get runaways.

Halna LeGavilk
2008-04-13, 10:00 PM
Everyone make listen checks.

LongVin
2008-04-13, 10:13 PM
Listen

[roll0]

pingcode20
2008-04-14, 03:01 AM
[roll0]

Bamnur Thattileshtan
Bamnur pauses for a moment, as if his ears picked up something, then keeps talking. "As I wos saying, if we set up on tha hills we'll 'ave a defensible keep abovegroun', an' we ken rely on the dwarves' 'elp with 'mprovements. 'M sure they'd be happy ta help protect all tha ore."

Nycthemeron
2008-04-14, 10:42 AM
Deyn leans back, glancing out into the darkness beyond the fire's circle of light for a moment as he replies, "The mountain is a good bet but ," he raises his hands defensively as he jovially smiles, "and you know I don't mean any offence meant here Bamnur, but shouldn't we try to balance ourselves between the triumvirate, are we going to be autonomous or a duchy of the Dwarven Kingdom?"

Listen check: [roll0]

Jael_Darkwood
2008-04-14, 01:59 PM
Lucius

"I think we should put off decisions as to our affiliation for now... Once we know more about what we have to offer, and who has the most to offer us, then we can make our decision." As if unable to help himself, he opens the book once more and glances down at a page, still listening to his companions, but with definitely split attention. "Anyways, I think both locations require some attention. We should set up a dock on the river, and a fortified location on the hill, if there is two reasonably close. Over time, we can work to make the fort an inner fortification, and fortify an area for a township including the hill and dock."

Listen(+0)[roll0]

On serfs, and such.. I think other than clearing the major beasties from the area, getting a population here asap is 2nd. Building buildings is all good and well, but importing food is a ruinous expense for work crews, if you look at it over time... same with lumber, etc.

Lets convert these raw materials to lucre :)

LongVin
2008-04-14, 02:20 PM
Tilting his head to the side as if straining to hear something in the distance, Draco continues "So perhaps a position between the two points. So we can use the best assests from each. Or we can even try to divert the river to best suit our needs. Bring the river to the hills maybe?"

pingcode20
2008-04-14, 07:51 PM
Bamnur Thattileshtan
"There's no use ta be had in settin' up shop at tha 'alfway mark. All i' does it make us unable ta defend either. An' tryin ta play every side i's only askin' ta be conquered. Ya need ta make close fren's ta survive. If we're all buddy-buddy wi' tha dwarf king, any upstart is gonna think twice 'bout attacking. Tha river's but a convenience - it'll mek things a wee bit easier on tha wallet, but it isn' goin' ta protect anythin' importan'. 'cept mebbe tha water, but I got a decanter coming down wi' tha expedition." responds Bamnur, sticking with his position.

"We haf ta take sides, 'cause if we're not buddies wi' someone, then when we're cryin' fer 'elp, nobody will come runnin' ta save are sorry 'ides."

LongVin
2008-04-14, 10:57 PM
"In that case, I say we try to divert the river closer to the hills. It should be possible to do with a combination of magics and labor."

Jael_Darkwood
2008-04-15, 12:58 AM
Lucius

"If we are nobody's ally, nobody ELSE thinks of us as their enemies asset, we can trade uncertainty, and the possibility of us as allies for influence far beyond our power in the capital cities of our neighbors... and besides... I never said not to pick sides... just..... not immediately." He idly flips the page of his book. "As to the fort, I think you are correct, Bamnur... for now, building on a hill is of great defensive value. Later, It will make a nice spot for a castle. As to water... well. There was never any worry about US running out of water... but how about all our laborers? how many people can your decanter supply if we get besieged? And... there is nothing like a river to form a nice tactical asset... not like there will be many charges across it, so it gives us a guarded flank. I think we go for the hill fort, and look into diverting the river nearer to it."

pingcode20
2008-04-15, 02:47 AM
Bamnur Thattileshtan
"Trading in uncertainties jes makes us a target ta everyone. An' if we mek a strike, we need ta have allies who'll come running when tha greedy sods try ta invade fer i'. An' who won' jes tek if fer themselves. Still, suppose it can't hurt ta be a little divided on tha issue fer a while."

Bamnur pauses to consider how many people his decanter could supply.

"Yer asking me? Well, i's pumpin' out 'roun 5 gallons a secon'... an' since we ain't runnin' i' by han' we ken leave i' on all tha day long... Oh, I reckon 'roun' 'bout eight hun'red an' sixteh thousan' people. Tha' enough fer ya?" smiles Bamnur, as the numbers add up in his head. "But les' say there's only a third ta drink, on 'count of tha rest being eaten up by farmers an' other stoof. Tha' leaves us wi' abou' two hundren an' eighty thousan' people. Enough fer a pretteh nice sized metrop'lis, dontcha think? We might be able ta use the pressure ta pump water up this way, but don' coun' on i' until I've 'ad a chance ta draw up some plans an' see 'ow much power we ken get out a' tha decanter."

Yes, a single decanter fixed in place and used for water supplies can, in fact, water the entire city of towers and have a cool 30,000 gallons or so left over every day even assuming a wastage of 2/3rds.

Halna LeGavilk
2008-04-15, 10:04 PM
All of you hear a brush in the grass and a low growl.

LongVin
2008-04-15, 10:30 PM
Draco jumps to his feet drawing his shortsword. He begins to circle around to the side of where he heard the sound to see what creature uttered it.

pingcode20
2008-04-15, 11:40 PM
Bamnur Thattileshtan
*Metal Gear Solid 'found' sound*

Bamnur suddenly turns in the direction of the sound, wrapping his hands around Kilrudshadim and lifting the heavy warhammer as he watches the sound of the bushes warily. He wasn't much of a sneaker, so he simply stood near the others at the campsite, backing towards the fire a bit.

Jael_Darkwood
2008-04-16, 08:54 PM
Lucius

Carefully putting his book down, Lucius stands, and stretches, carefully standing amongst the other characters. Mentally, he tries to decide on what sort of beasty he should summon.

Halna LeGavilk
2008-04-17, 09:38 PM
A huge orange-and-black tiger leaps out from the light, pouncing on Draco (-15 HP).

Roll initiative.

LongVin
2008-04-17, 10:05 PM
Draco lets out a scream as the tiger slams into him knocking him back. Bring his sword arm up he tries to regain his balance and composure as quickly as possible.

[roll0]

Jael_Darkwood
2008-04-18, 09:14 PM
Lucius
Init : [roll0]

(at his initiative:...)
Lucius pulls a small bag and candle out of a pocket, mutters a complex pattern of noises and gestures in a geometric pattern. Between him and the tiger (and right next to the tiger), a creature appears with a small *pop*. Its dark red/black fur and small horns indicate that it is a fiendish ape. The ape immediately attacks.

Bluff (deceptive summons, extend spell if succeed vs sense motive of ape)
Ring of mighty summons = max hp, half duration of summon (lasts 9 rounds)
bluff [roll1] vs ape sense motive [roll2]

Ape stats : AC 15, HP 63
attacks = 2claws +10 (1d6+8), 1bite +4 (1d8+4)
Special : Rend 2d6+16 if both claw attacks hit
Special : DR 5/Magic

Ape attacks : full attack, Claw1[roll3] [roll4], Claw2[roll5] [roll6], Bite [roll7] [roll8], Possible crit confirms(i hate extra roll posts) [roll9], possible rend [roll10]

pingcode20
2008-04-21, 03:32 AM
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Bamnur Thattileshtan
Bamnur makes a surprisingly swift pace to flank the tiger with Draco, and swings Kilrudshadim up heavily on a very sensitive part of the tiger.

Little Known Fact - it works just as well on girl tigers as boy tigers.

pingcode20
2008-04-21, 03:35 AM
[roll0]
[roll1]

Go for the unmentionables, Kilrudshadim!

Halna LeGavilk
2008-04-23, 08:35 PM
OOC: Nice.... And it's shot to the nuts, by the way...

IC: The tiger is knocked to the ground, nearly unconscious from the pain. It lays there mewling.

OOC: Okay, that fight was mainly to get an idea of your guys combat ability.... damn.

Jael_Darkwood
2008-04-24, 07:19 PM
Lucius

Lucius moves back to his seat, picks up his book, and says to his ape : "Finish it." Looking at the rest of the group, he calmly returns to their conversation. "Well, it sounds like the Decanter will fufill our refreshment needs... So I vote the hilltop as our starting location." He looks over at the dying tiger. "Seems like we might need to patrol our lands first, make sure any laborers we import don't suffer any depredations."

pingcode20
2008-04-27, 06:11 AM
Bamnur Thattileshtan
"Tha' we do, lad." responds Bamnur, returning to his seat and wiping the warhammer as the tiger collapses.

"Best thing ta start would be ta put up a stockade ta keep tha beasties out an keep tha workers safe while they put up somethin' more permanent."

Halna LeGavilk
2008-04-30, 10:39 PM
Alrighty then... Who wants to skip to morning?

LongVin
2008-05-01, 10:01 AM
*raises hand*

Halna LeGavilk
2008-05-01, 10:51 PM
If no one else posts by Sunday night, I'll just skip to morning anyway.

Jael_Darkwood
2008-05-02, 09:20 PM
i vote skip ahead

Halna LeGavilk
2008-05-02, 11:58 PM
At least some people still have an interest in this.

Halna LeGavilk
2008-05-13, 06:42 PM
Dawn breaks across the sky, the new day coming quickly. The air is fresh and clean. Far away, you see a wagon bumbling down the road.

Jael_Darkwood
2008-05-13, 07:57 PM
Lucius

Gradually coming awake, Lucius spends a moment deep in thought, then opens his eyes and looks around. Noting the wagon in the distance, he starts to assemble his gear. "Looks like we'll have company soon."

Halna LeGavilk
2008-05-19, 10:00 PM
The wagon continues bumbling down the road. In it is a single younger man, who stops by your wagon. "Who are you?" He asks, in a slightly stand-off-ish tone, in a husky, gravelly voice.

Jael_Darkwood
2008-05-19, 10:32 PM
Lucius

Lucius smiles. "My name is Lucius. Yours?"

LongVin
2008-05-20, 09:49 AM
Draco rises to his feet and gives a nod and a sly smile to the young man, "I am....Captain" he quickly gives himself a title to make himself seen more important than he currently is. "Draco Marcellus. Good sir."

OOC: I am going to send everyone a PM to see if we can get them posting.

pingcode20
2008-05-21, 02:37 AM
So we're back? Make way, lads, Bamnur is Back!

Back to the Bamnur, Part II
Bamnur abruptly reappears, running in from the past at 88 miles an hour and looking a little older.

"Sorry lads, got stuck in a time loop. I'm Bamnur Thattileshtan, an' yer name is?"

Halna LeGavilk
2008-05-22, 05:58 PM
"Me name's Jon, Jon Harkin. I live up in these parts, but I'm going to town to pick up some supplies. What's with all the, uh, fancy wagons, may I ask?"

LongVin
2008-05-22, 09:03 PM
Draco

Smiling, Draco answers the mans questions "The King of Gartonion has granted us these lands for our service to the crown." Approaching serf Jon he questions him "Tell me good sir, how many people reside within this territory? I trust you know the area well?"

Halna LeGavilk
2008-05-24, 01:41 PM
Jon thinks for a moment, rubbing his bearded chin. "Well, I'd say probably five or six thousand ones who aren't going to be hostile to you. Sounds about right. Don't expect too much help though. Most people just don't care, rather be left alone." Jon looks up at the sun. "I'd best be off iffen I wanna at town by dusk. " He cracks the reins and the wagon moves off again.

pingcode20
2008-05-24, 09:27 PM
Bamnur Thattileshtan
Bamnur watches the youth leave, then turns to Draco.

"Aye, looks like there's already a town 'ere. Still, i's going ta be tough ta put down a fort straight away at tha town - I suppose if we want ta take control a' the town, tho, we ought ta put down a fort there."

LongVin
2008-05-24, 10:45 PM
"That is if the boy can even count that high. And they could all be spread out over a vast area. This doesn't seem to be a high traffic area. It would be best to start laying out markers soon to signify this land belongs to us now."

Halna LeGavilk
2008-05-26, 09:22 AM
OOC: There isnt' an actual town in your terrritory. The town he refers to is a large side on the next county over. There are mostly hamlets and farmsteads.

Jael_Darkwood
2008-05-31, 08:43 PM
Lucius

"Well, at least it is a ready population base, right next door. If we can set things up to be attractive here, chances are we can attract a fair percentage of them. However, it would be a good idea to go check out their current situation, as they are our neighbors. So. Scout our area, or check out the neighbors. What do you guys want to do?"

He pauses.

"My vote is we scout our area out first, so we know what we have, and so we can set out territorial markers, then head to check out their area."

LongVin
2008-05-31, 11:27 PM
"If you so desire I can make my way over there now while the rest of you place the territorial markers. We do not want to appear as a bunch of raiders crossing the border. I can slip in, gather information and leave without being noticed."

Halna LeGavilk
2008-06-07, 09:10 AM
OOC: So, is that what you guys are doing?

(By the way, sorry about the long missed period. Life's been busy.)

LongVin
2008-06-07, 11:57 AM
OOC: I'm just waiting for input from my fellow adventurers

Jael_Darkwood
2008-06-07, 12:24 PM
i was just waiting for other players to have a posting chance too :)

Halna LeGavilk
2008-06-09, 09:20 PM
Well, it was a six day wait. I have big plans for this, and I'd rather not wait around. I'll give it another... day, shall we say? If no one posts their reponse within that time, we'll be moving on, with the plan we have developed.

LongVin
2008-06-11, 03:00 PM
Sounds like a plan. Maybe we should put a request on the board for alternates?

LongVin
2008-06-11, 03:07 PM
Sounds like a plan. Maybe we should put a request on the board for alternates?

Halna LeGavilk
2008-06-14, 08:14 PM
Yeah, probably should. Say...three? Yeah.

Halna LeGavilk
2008-06-19, 11:03 PM
I am post-poning (SP) this indefinitely, at least till Monday, because I am way to busy. Sorry guys, I should be up and running by next week.