PDA

View Full Version : Student of the Fox Base Class

StoryKeeper
2008-04-11, 09:54 PM
Based on Kitsune. If PEACH means help me make this playable, please PEACH.

Student of the Fox
Most have forgotten the wisdom and power of the foxes in the world, but there are those few to whom the most ancient of these creatures reveal themselves. Whether the individual honors the ancient traditions regarding the foxes or has simply gained their favor through good deals and clever tricks, she has invariably picked up on some of the magic these creatures wield and made it their own.
They tend to be good looking, with subtle fox features. This, coupled with their strange powers, tends to earn them a good deal of interest from their communities. On the other hand, a Student of the Fox who does not wish to be found is nearly impossible to locate; it’s a simple thing for a Student to change faces and leave a city in secret, even while the entire populace watches.

Adventures: Many Students adventure to test and discover creative new uses for their magic. Others follow the long-loved fox tradition of using their magic to trick those with personality flaws. These tricks may be as gentle as tricking a prideful man into shaving his head, or as cruel as leaving a boastful warrior trapped in a pit filled with starving creatures. Others still wish to return the old foxes to fame and honor by displaying their powers for the populace. Such individuals realize that even if they succeed in their goals, the foxes won’t share their knowledge with just anyone, but the masses need not know that, and it would be such a great trick…

Characteristics: Students of the Fox have almost unmatched power over illusions. Their power comes from the secret knowledge possessed by the foxes, which in turn was given to them by the fox god. The restrictiveness of their abilities has lead them to also adapt some of the skills not normally possessed by spellcasters, and has even forced them to be slightly tougher than the usual arcane trickster.

Alignment: With some exceptions, Students are almost always chaotic. A few may tend toward law due their devotion to ancient traditions, but most are chaotic at heart.

Religion: Many Students take up worship of the fox god, others worship more mainstream trickster gods, and others still forego worship of any deity choosing to rely on their own abilities above all else.

Races: Elves and humans are the most common Students of the Fox due to their innately chaotic natures. Dwarves and other less chaotically aligned races are almost never taught the secret knowledge by the foxes.

Other Classes: Students find a kindred spirit in sorcerers due to their chaotic personalities and similar magic. Clerics of trickster deities are like cousins to them, and even wizards can relate to a student of strange, magical knowledge. They tend to see martially inclined classes as too straightforward, and pity the limited grasp a ranger has of his magic. Druids are friends to the creatures that Students love so much. Rogues are seen either as talented individuals capable of performing stealthy operations without the blessings of the foxes, or as poor imitations of true tricksters.

Role: A student is an ideal scout and spy with transformation and illusion magic that makes her blend in or completely disappear from any location.

D6
Skills: rogue skill list+ spellcraft and knowledge (arcana) and (nature)
Skill points: 6+int X 4
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Reflex Save|Will Save|Special|
1st|0|0|2|0| Fox Familiar, spellcasting
2nd|1|0|3|0|Second Tail
3rd|2|1|3|1|
4th|3|1|4|1|Form of Fox 1/day, 3rd Tail
5th|3|1|4|1|Fox Faced, Master of Illusions +1
6th|4|2|5|2|4th Tail
7th|5|2|5|2|
8th|6/1|2|6|2|Form of the Fox 2/day, 5th Tail
9th|6/1|3|6|3|
10th|7/2|3|7|3|Fox FAced, 6th Tail, Master of Illusions+2
11th|8/3|3|7|3|
12th|9/4|4|8|4|Form of the Fox 3/day, 7th Tail
13th|9/4|4|8|4|
14th|10/5|4|9|4|8th Tail
15th|11/6/1|5|9|5|Fox Faced, Master of Illusions +3
16th|12/7/2|5|10|5|Form of the Fox 4/day
17th|12/7/2|5|10|5|
18th|13/8/3|6|11|6|
19th|14/9/4|6|11|6|
20th|15/10/5|6|12|6|Servant of the Fox God, Fox Faced[/table]

SPELLCASTING: A Student of the Fox gains spells each day and spells known as a sorcerer with the following differences: All of a Student's spells must be taken from the Illusion school.

Fox Familiar: You may summon a fox as a familiar just as a sorcerer may summon a standard familiar. Treat the fox as a cat for statistics and benefits.

Extra Tails: You gain a boon from the foxes granting you the ability to exchange any one spell known for a spell of equal or lower level. This spell need not be of the illusion school. This knowledge manifests itself in the form of a fox tail growing from your backside. You may choose not to reveal these tails (hiding them with their own innate magic) as a free action.

Form of the Fox (Sp): A Student of the Fox may assume the form of a fox as the polymorph spell. She may use this ability once/day at fourth level, and an extra time/day every four levels after fourth. She retains the ability to cast spells in this form, but may not wield weapons and gains no benefit from any armor she may have been wearing (with the exception of wild armor.) she may choose to instead use this ability to transform her familiar into a humanoid creature of medium or small size, but doing so expends one of her daily uses as normal. If you choose to turn your familiar into a humanoid, all of its physical scores (str, dex, con) are treated as 10 + or - any racial ability modifiers of that race. The familiar's hit points remain the same. The familiar receives a ;number of skill points equal to (2+int modifier X 4). Use the commoner's skill list to determine class skills. It is proficient with all simple weapons but not with armor or shields. While in this form, the familiar still retains all of the benefits of being a familiar. This ability lasts for 1 hour/ class level.

Master of Illusions: A Student's focus on illusion magics make her a true master of their use. Her effective caster level for illusion spells increases by one at 5th, 10th, and 15th level.

Fox Faced: Some of the beauty or dread of your illusions rubs off on you. Your charisma increases by one at 5th, 10th, and 15th level

Servant of the Fox God: at 20th level, you are inducted into the ranks of the true foxes as servants and messengers of the fox god. You no longer age, and do not suffer the penalties of aging. You do not die of old age, but you are just as prone to other forms of death as you ever were. You may use Form of the Fox an unlimited number of times each day. Also, your hair turns silver or gold (though this may be repressed as a free action restoring your natural hair color) as does the coat of your fox form.

dman11235
2008-04-11, 10:03 PM
Are you aware of the Beguiler (PHBII)? It's an illusionist.

And PEACH mean Please Examine And Critique Honestly.

StoryKeeper
2008-04-11, 10:07 PM
I'd heard of the Beguiler, but haven't had a chance to look at it. Why? Is this basically a copy of it?

Oh, and thank you for expanding my vocabulary.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-11, 10:22 PM
Ehhm...question. Form of the Fox is repeatedly mentioned, but it is never explained what it does. Could you clarify? Without it, we can't really critique on this.

StoryKeeper
2008-04-11, 10:30 PM
Oops. So sorry. Edited and added. Basically it lets you turn into a fox or alternatively, turn your familiar into a humanoid.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-12, 12:40 AM
Seems okay. A bit on the weakish side, but it serves as a skill monkey, occasional I winner, and scout. Thumbs up.

Bhu
2008-04-12, 12:42 AM
Under Form of the FOx it mentions the Familiar can be turned into a humanoid instead. What are its stats/size class/et?

Overlord
2008-04-12, 01:04 AM
I find it ironic that you haven't looked at the beguiler, but you made a class that was both similar to it and pretty balanced in comparison. :smallsmile:

Your class is actually a bit weaker than the Beguiler. Your class' extra (non-spellcasting-related) abilities are only slightly worse than the beguilers, and the beguiler has access to spells from the illusion school and (as the name implies) the enchantment school as well. The beguiler has a limited spell list, but he has access to the entirety of his list, so that evens out I think. Overall, the beguiler is generally considered to be a bit too strong, so if your class is a bit weaker than the beguiler, you're on the right track.

...On the other hand, I just realized that the Student of the Fox has access to the Shadow Evocation/Conjuration line of spells. That adds quite a bit to the class.

Under Form of the FOx it mentions the Familiar can be turned into a humanoid instead. What are its stats/size class/et?

Hmm, good catch. I didn't even notice that part of the ability until you pointed it out. There's no real need for this part of the ability, you could just cast Alter Self on yourself and use Share Spells to give it to the familiar. If you want to keep this part of the ability, make it have the same effect as an Alter Self spell. As it is, it works as a polymorph spell, and you can't transform into something with class levels or templates anyway, but still...

I don't know. It's probably fine if it still works as a polymorph spell; the best thing from the SRD the familiar could transform into would be a bugbear. That's CR 2.

StoryKeeper
2008-04-12, 08:15 AM

I expanded on Form of the Fox. Please tell me if this sounds OK.

I find it ironic that you haven't looked at the beguiler, but you made a class that was both similar to it and pretty balanced in comparison. :smallsmile:

Hmm, good catch. I didn't even notice that part of the ability until you pointed it out. There's no real need for this part of the ability, you could just cast Alter Self on yourself and use Share Spells to give it to the familiar.

Great minds...

Would an alter self spell allow the fox to transform into, for example, a human though? I know it allows you to grow or lose gills and wings and arms, but I'm not sure of the limits of its ability. Also, I expanded on Form of the Fox, so please tell me if I have solved the problem.

Overlord
2008-04-12, 12:18 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/alterSelf.htm

I believe it would.

I don't know if it's such a good idea to give the familiar free skill points of its master's choice every time it transforms. Other than that, the new version of the ability is probably fine as is.

Tempest Fennac
2008-04-12, 12:44 PM
Page 148 of http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Classes-Base.pdf details the Begiller class (I'm not really into illusion magic, but (predictably), I love the flavour for your class). Including a few Transmutations in regards to spells it can learn would be a good idea (it would definitly fit with the class).