PDA

View Full Version : Warlocks in 4th ED.

Ward.
2008-04-11, 10:11 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions for an appropriate 4th edition core class to replace the warlock (Mainly play style) until they bring him back?

MeklorIlavator
2008-04-11, 10:13 PM
Perhaps the warlock would make a good replacement. It is one of the core classes, you know.

tyckspoon
2008-04-11, 10:34 PM
You could also use the Wizard; 4th Edition's setup of everybody having at will/per-encounter/per-day abilities gives basically every class some of the 3.5 Warlock's go-all-day style. It's just a matter of picking the ability flavor you prefer.

Greenfaun
2008-04-11, 11:19 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions for an appropriate 4th edition core class to replace the warlock (Mainly play style) until they bring him back?

Um, what? Bring him back from where? I don't suppose you mean the Bard, Barbarian, Druid, or Monk?

Ward.
2008-04-11, 11:33 PM
*Instead of "bring him back" I should have said "update his rules".

Although I wasn't aware he was going to be in the 4th ed PHB, this has certainly brightined my day :smallsmile:

AslanCross
2008-04-11, 11:34 PM

They don't need to bring it back. The warlock is a core class now, though their role seems to be slightly different. I hear they're going to be more focused on dealing damage than controlling.

Nebo_
2008-04-11, 11:38 PM
What a bizarre question...

Ward.
2008-04-11, 11:56 PM
They don't need to bring it back. The warlock is a core class now, though their role seems to be slightly different. I hear they're going to be more focused on dealing damage than controlling.

Hmm, interesting.

Nebo_: What makes you say that?

Nebo_
2008-04-12, 12:04 AM
Nebo_: What makes you say that?

Because the Warlock is already in 4e. That would be like asking what I should use for a Wizard in 3.5.

Also, the underscore is silent.

Collin152
2008-04-12, 12:09 AM
Because the Warlock is already in 4e. That would be like asking what I should use for a Wizard in 3.5.

I recommend a Druid or Cleric.

JaxGaret
2008-04-12, 12:11 AM
I recommend a Druid or Cleric.

No way, gotta be Archivist. It's the perfect Wizard replacement! :smallsmile:

Collin152
2008-04-12, 12:11 AM
No way, Archivist.

of course, I meant in Core.

JaxGaret
2008-04-12, 12:12 AM
of course, I meant in Core.

Ah, in core-only it would be a Cleric with the Magic Domain.

Ward.
2008-04-12, 12:19 AM

Also, the underscore is silent.

Fair enough, although as the warlocks playstyle may end up being different in 4th and that was what I was inquiring about, it's still a valid question, almost :smallredface:

JaxGaret
2008-04-12, 12:29 AM
Fair enough, although as the warlocks playstyle may end up being different in 4th and that was what I was inquiring about, it's still a valid question, almost :smallredface:

It will be different, as a matter of fact.

It's entirely possible that the 4e Wizard will be closer in spirit to the 3e Warlock than the 4e Warlock will be, if the 4e Wizard retains any connection to item creation.

Rutee
2008-04-12, 12:39 AM
I think everyone gets item creation in the new edition..

Somebloke
2008-04-12, 02:41 AM

Also, the underscore is silent.The Wu Jen, obviously.

Taste the nerfy goodness.

Kioran
2008-04-12, 02:52 AM
The Wu Jen, obviously.

Taste the nerfy goodness.

Good game design. As is the Shugenja. If one could but convince one´s players to use these - they´re actually balanced a lot better. I´ll second that a 4th. Ed Wozard will probably play more like a 3rd. Ed Warlock though. You know, until the inevitable Splatbooks smudge the borders once again.

JaxGaret
2008-04-12, 03:11 AM
Good game design. As is the Shugenja. If one could but convince one´s players to use these - they´re actually balanced a lot better.

QFT. The Shugenja is actually balanced to non full spellcasters at mid levels, it took a severe beating from the big bad nerfbat to make it so.

Nebo_
2008-04-12, 03:16 AM
The correct answer was "a wizard", but you people make a good point.

Somebloke
2008-04-12, 03:17 AM
Good game design. As is the Shugenja. If one could but convince one´s players to use these - they´re actually balanced a lot better. I´ll second that a 4th. Ed Wozard will probably play more like a 3rd. Ed Warlock though. You know, until the inevitable Splatbooks smudge the borders once again.

Sorry. What I meant was that any attempt to balance the Wizard will involve a severe working over with the Nerf bat.

As for Shugenja, I love them to bits- my favorite spellcasting class (even though the water Shugenja has...issues...). They are to me what a priest should be...unarmoured, wise and capable, not some infantryman with spells.

I have actually heard one or two reports describing the 4e wizard as underpowered, although most of these came from low-level play.

JaxGaret
2008-04-12, 04:25 AM
As for Shugenja, I love them to bits- my favorite spellcasting class (even though the water Shugenja has...issues...).

What issues do you have with the Water Shugenja? That's the best choice IMO, since the subsequently banned Fire is the most useless of the four elements.

Collin152
2008-04-12, 11:06 PM
The correct answer was "a wizard", but you people make a good point.

Sorcerer is also a correct answer.
Not all wizards had spellbooks

Somebloke
2008-04-13, 04:09 AM
What issues do you have with the Water Shugenja? That's the best choice IMO, since the subsequently banned Fire is the most useless of the four elements.

I found the lack of offensive options quite constraining around levels 4-5 (although I did not get around to playing that much of it). I think this is as much my expectations of what was essentially a White Mage class could do rather than the gameplay (some bad character choices did not help).

I still love the class though- I have used it as a template once for the only spellcaster class in a campaign.

JaxGaret
2008-04-13, 11:34 AM
I found the lack of offensive options quite constraining around levels 4-5 (although I did not get around to playing that much of it). I think this is as much my expectations of what was essentially a White Mage class could do rather than the gameplay (some bad character choices did not help).

They have access to Sleep and Glitterdust, two of the best low level attack spells, if you need to have them.

Taking another look at it, I forgot that the Shugenja needs to take the lion's portion of their spells off of their favored element's spell list; thus the Water Shugenja is much less appealing than I had thought, since the Water list has so few good options.

I still love the class though- I have used it as a template once for the only spellcaster class in a campaign.

I like the class a lot, too. If the most powerful caster in your party is a Shugenja (or Warmage or Wilder), the non-casters in your party won't be overshadowed at the mid to high levels.