PDA

View Full Version : Cleric help! (Salvage my idea!)

Admiral Squish
2008-04-11, 11:18 PM
Okay, I'm joining an eberron game this is my first time playing any kind of a full caster. I've read all the forum chatter, how you NEVER lose a caster level and don't take LA races for anything made of a full caster. However, the fluff for my idea goes down both paths, and I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to salvage it, or if I should simply work the fluff around the rest of it.

The idea goes like this: my character is a dolgrim fighter he's been doing this for a while. On a surface raid, he stumbles into a temple dedicated to Dol Dorn. Curious, he pilfers a tome of religious texts and reads it over and over again. He converts to the church and abandons the tunnels of khyber, heading to the surface. He realized his appearance keeps him from doing anything productive, and develops image problems. Eventually, he gets some custom armor made, armor he never has to take off, heavy enough to disguise his features, and capable of concealing his extra arms by slipping both into the same sleeve. He masquerades as a hunchbacked gnome, and joins the church as a crusader. He hopes someday to shed his twisted and wretched form and achieve physical perfection.

ECL 6 means two levels of fighter, two levels of cleric, and +2 LA. Not a stellar combo. I suppose he'd take strength and war for his domains.
Playground, can you help me out?

Kyeudo
2008-04-11, 11:46 PM
LA Buyoff is your friend. Just play to your strengths and you can be a great frontliner, just remember you arn't going to be a great caster, since you'll never have 9th level spells.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-04-12, 01:20 AM
You can still tank and beatdown fairly well, as you'll get all the important melee buffs, just at a later level. Focus on melee damage and tanking abilities, and don't try any blasting spells. And buy off that LA as soon as you possibly can, because that's killer for anybody.

You'll be okay, you just won't be as broken as a normal cleric since you'll have to focus on just being a better fighter than a fighter instead of doing everything.

Nebo_
2008-04-12, 01:52 AM
Just don't take the fighter levels. He was an ordinary dolgrim until he started taking Cleric levels. It doesn't fit exactly, but it's close enough and it doesn't gimp your casting as much.

Kol Korran
2008-04-12, 02:09 AM
first of all- i love dolgrims, but i've never had anyone play one. i'd be very intrigued to hear how it went. the following advice could be divided inot two categories- how to save your idea, and the second is how to maybe add to it/ suggestions ofmy own for roleplay and mechanics.

so first of all, salvaging your idea:

the "never lose caster levels" recommendation only apply for heavy optimization games. this idea sounds fun, and FUN should be the main requirement for you to enjoy! if the game is not utterly deadly if you're not as optimized as you can be, i suggest to relax a bit about the "all levels for full casters is a must!" advice... be prepared to play a somehwat sub-par caster in terms of mechanics (focus on buffs, heals, simple divinations and utility more than "requiring saving throws" spells), but don't let anyone downsize your spell casting abitlites in roleplay.
if you wish to increase your effectivity as a caster, i'd suggest to lose at least one fighter level. sure, youlose a feat, but it's by far ocmpensated by the added clerical level, which is your main class. the single fighter level would suffice for background purposes, and having access to martial weapons.
you may go as far and lose the second fighrer level (perhaps you started as a priest for the dragon below or the daelkyr, and converted when you ransacked the temple?). the war domain will grant you acces to a sufficient martial weapon.
have you thought maybe to try to play as a Paladin? (holy warrior type, sort of Tialk from StarGate personality...) it might fit your overall idea (deformed creature who turns to the light, progressing moslty as a warrior, but a deeply religous one, seeking redemption). sure , this throws away the full caster concept, but not the roleplaying one.

roleplaying ideas, both fluff and mechanics:

remember your four arms, and perhaps enable the sleeves to open (free loosing knotholes). the use of the four arms is one of the reasons for the +2 LA.
consider the following relationships, and think of them in advance: dealing with gnomes or halflings (whatever creature you imitate). though you learn of their manners and culture, it can't ever pass close scrutiny.
changlings: you may amdire them, you may despise them, for their ability to integrate into society.
goblins and goblinoids: are you ashamed of them? do you yearn for their acceptence? to most golbins your an abomination of the worst kind! these in a way are your closest relatives, but they also have the reaso nto hate you the most..
druids, especially gatekeepers: you and them are natural enemies- wil lthey see past your deformity? most liekly they'll attack first, and ask questions later... and even then, they might alway be suspicious of you. however, aren't they in a way also responsible for not stopping the Daelkyer doing this to you? and prehaps killing many of your kind, when all you needed was acceptence?
the other religions groups, especially the silver flame: unacceptence may be everywhere, for a misshapen creature of the dark... whatever religion you choose, wil lthe other adherents accept you?
you and your god/s: do youbelieve in the host? or just one of their gods? Dol Arrah is a far better choice for an "enlightening" god than Dol Dorn... your chosendomainsonly reflect the martial side, but what about your monumental change of heart? consider Liberation, freedom, and similar "high moral/ great cause" domains as well... i'd suggest to read fiaths of ebberon, and decide on your own little rituals and such to reflect your belief. some may be the conventional ones, some less.
the knowledge of Khyber and Daelkyr: unlike most other warriors or priests of the host, you know all too well the true horrors that lie below. this may "taint" your behviour (whe ngoign undeground you may cringe, and unconciously offer a prayer to the dragon below. when probed about this you respond in vague tales and warnings of your past life). this may also strengthen your resolve, and your stand against others, who challange you or your faith ("you dare speak of evil?! i have seen it! lived in it! at times commited it! it was evil who created this body, it was evil who dwealt in my mind, and it is evil i fight every day, every waking and unwaking hour! you who lived in your sun lit world, who'se master at worst took their wages, and have only read about what i experienced DARE lecture me about evil?!?"
redemption of body and soul: the bosy part might well be out of your reach (though maybe not, depending to the DM). i suggest you migth focus on the body at first, and through your spiritual growth transfer your focus to the soul. you might have a consistent inner doubt of whether you ae irrevocably tainted, or whether there is a chance for you...
unfamiliarity with the above world: consider many things strange and wonderfull or terrifying. remember- with the Daelkyr most things worked by flesh magic. the novelties the dragonamrked houses may be astounding to your character! also- do not forget the immense gap in culture between your "core culture", and the new one. this might be overwheling, and you become reclusive, only speaking when approached to, or you might try to "take it all in", like an explorer to new lands. some subclutures (the goblinoid one for example) might be either more welcoming, or more hostile to you
one race i forgot about is the warforged: in a strange way, they might understand you the best- they too were manufactured for war, basically slaves, and the society shunnes them. and maongst them, there are some who seek for a meaning and place in the world. you might found a tight friendship with them on that basis.
due to many of the reasons above, you migth find it hard to actually joing the party (i have nbo idea of it's composition). try to work with one other player who is your "conenction" to the party, at least at start... you could be an odd mercenry of Denetih or Tharashak (either from Darguun or Droaam), that was hired by the PC. or perhaps he's a follower of the host, and for some reason believes he must help you ("as is the world, sp are the gods, as are the gods, so is the world" that pertains to ALL creatures), or maybe, if you've allready spent several years in this above ground world, you helped the character during some engagement in the Last War... that could create a strong bond indeed.
general roleplay tip for a dolgrim: speka with both mouths and minds- two voices, two styles of speech, they might interupt each other and more.
note: as ettins (and other multiheaded creatures) can cast spells with one head and hand, while fighting with the other, the DM might allow the same to you (speak with him/ her before hand!) you could be charagin into battle, wielding a great sword, whil another arm holds a shield, and another hand and mout hcasts a spell...

these are but some ideas. i hope it works out. Kol.

Kol Korran
2008-04-12, 02:14 AM
oh, just an added thought: the +2LA means you'll be low on HP. have you thought to perhaps become a ranged combatant instead of a melee one? (shooting with two longbows/ cross bows, a bit like that robot thingy from Torment... Modoron?). you can hide better this way, and appear more withdrawn. a level or two of ranger might do the trick, or perhaps choosing the silver flame instead of the host (martial weapon long bow). jsut an idea... (with the right feats you'll shoot barrals of arrows each round)

Kizara
2008-04-12, 04:27 AM
have you thought maybe to try to play as a Paladin? (holy warrior type, sort of Tialk from StarGate personality...)

Argh!

Teal'c.

KillianHawkeye
2008-04-12, 10:16 AM
Argh!

Teal'c.

Thank you.

Kol Korran
2008-04-12, 10:50 AM
sorry for the miss spelling of teal'c. i didn't know how it was written, and i was in a hurry and didn't have the time to look. thanks for the correction though