PDA

View Full Version : Question Regarding Violet Veils (From Iot7V)

jcsw
2008-04-12, 03:17 AM
Okay so me and my friend were playing an arena game, and I'm a Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil (complete arcane), and I think he's a frenzied berzerker (can't see his character sheet).

Anyway, he charged me and I put up a double violet and blue warding, expecting him to stop before he completed the charge, well... surprise! he charged through (he has a history of charging into barriers, like walls of force...) and surprisingly made both DC30 saves. (the first time, and this is where we stopped) Basically, my question is, does the violet veil disintegrate his weapon?

(Even if he passes he has to make a DC27 reflex to overcome being knocked back (repelling shield), and another to bypass concealment... for each attack... so I'm questioning his strategy here...)

Kizara
2008-04-12, 04:21 AM
No his weapon is not specifically effected.

Think about it this way, when you fireball someone, does their armor take damage? Does their bow?

Same concept. For the most part, DnD considers your equipment part of your 'person' for resolving effects such as magic.

There are some exceptions for sure, but all those exceptions say as much and detail exactly how they effect equipment.

As for the conflict: Just cast fly for heaven's sake. Also greese so he continually falls down.

Nebo_
2008-04-12, 04:26 AM
Think about it this way, when you fireball someone, does their armor take damage? Does their bow?

Actaully, yes. But only if you roll a natural 1 on your saving throw.

Kizara
2008-04-12, 04:29 AM
Actaully, yes. But only if you roll a natural 1 on your saving throw.

Same concept. For the most part, DnD considers your equipment part of your 'person' for resolving effects such as magic.

There are some exceptions for sure, but all those exceptions say as much and detail exactly how they effect equipment.

I find that being clear is > being 100% complete with all exceptions. Also, the question was not concerning a failed save, let alone a critically failed one.

Nebo_
2008-04-12, 04:39 AM
Calm down, I was expanding on your post, not disagreeing with you.

jcsw
2008-04-12, 09:33 AM
Well, the Violet Veil specifically says destroys all objects, as if they were affected by disintegrate, so I was wondering about that.

JaxGaret
2008-04-12, 01:46 PM
Well, the Violet Veil specifically says destroys all objects, as if they were affected by disintegrate, so I was wondering about that.

Items Surviving after a Saving Throw
Unless the descriptive text for the spell specifies otherwise, all items carried or worn by a creature are assumed to survive a magical attack. If a creature rolls a natural 1 on its saving throw against the effect, however, an exposed item is harmed (if the attack can harm objects). Refer to Table: Items Affected by Magical Attacks. Determine which four objects carried or worn by the creature are most likely to be affected and roll randomly among them. The randomly determined item must make a saving throw against the attack form and take whatever damage the attack deal.

If an item is not carried or worn and is not magical, it does not get a saving throw. It simply is dealt the appropriate damage.

There you go. Here is a link to the best SRD, it's a good idea to take a look there first if you want answers to specific questions: d20srd.org (http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm).

jcsw
2008-04-12, 08:24 PM
There you go. Here is a link to the best SRD, it's a good idea to take a look there first if you want answers to specific questions: d20srd.org (http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm).

But what I'm saying is that the Violet Veil says that it destroys all objects, as if they had been affected by a disintegrate, AS WELL AS forcing anyone who passes through to make a will save or get plane shifted.

JaxGaret
2008-04-12, 09:10 PM
But what I'm saying is that the Violet Veil says that it destroys all objects, as if they had been affected by a disintegrate, AS WELL AS forcing anyone who passes through to make a will save or get plane shifted.

No, that is not what it says.

This barrier destroys all objects and effects that cross it, as if they were disintegrated. Living creatures passing a violet veil must succeed on a Will save or be shifted to a random place on a random plane.

Then we go back to what the SRD says:

Items Surviving after a Saving Throw
Unless the descriptive text for the spell specifies otherwise, all items carried or worn by a creature are assumed to survive a magical attack.

Does the veil specify otherwise - does it say that the objects carried or worn by the creature are disintegrated? No, it does not. Thus, it does not override the prime rule in the SRD.

Chronos
2008-04-12, 09:23 PM
And a Fireball says that it does 10d6 damage to everything in its area. But neither of them affects any of a creature's attended possessions if the creature makes its save.

jcsw
2008-04-12, 10:02 PM
Doesn't "...destroys all objects..." count as specifying otherwise?

JaxGaret
2008-04-12, 10:54 PM
Doesn't "...destroys all objects..." count as specifying otherwise?

No, it doesn't.

spec·i·fy
–verb (used with object)
1. to mention or name specifically or definitely; state in detail

It doesn't specify that attended objects are destroyed, so the prime rule from the SRD overrides the specific rule of the Violet Veil.

In other words, it would have to have said "This barrier destroys all objects, including attended objects..." for your interpretation to work.

Chronos
2008-04-12, 10:57 PM
No more than "damages everything in its area" specifies otherwise. Unless the barbarian flubs his save, the spell basically doesn't even know that his items exist.