PDA

View Full Version : 4E: Order of the Stick

AvangionQ
2008-04-12, 07:20 AM
I wonder ... when 4th edition comes out in June, will the Order of the Stick characters have another `update` like OotS comic number 1 ?

Holammer
2008-04-12, 07:30 AM
We will know if Belkar suddenly grows taller with matching dreadlocks and a new found love for water amongst other things.

RMS Oceanic
2008-04-12, 07:31 AM
This has been asked repeatedly. The FAQ makes it clear Rich regrets making the first strip about the edition change, for the nuances of the joke fade with time. Besides, fourth edition is so major a change that much of the storyline might not make sense from a gameplay viewpoint.

tl;dr: The community have reckoned that no, he won't be updating it.

Gamerlord
2008-04-12, 08:22 AM
I wonder ... when 4th edition comes out in June, will the Order of the Stick characters have another `update` like OotS comic number 1 ?
we outta make a law on the fourms against these kinda threads
lock this thread NOW

factotum
2008-04-12, 09:48 AM
4E in OotS question? Is it that time of the week already? :smallwink:

Holammer
2008-04-12, 10:04 AM
4E in OotS question? Is it that time of the week already? :smallwink:

Considering the reactions from some posters, that time of the month I'd say.

Wreckingrocc
2008-04-12, 10:12 AM
He should do it. I haven't laughed at OOTS for at least 100 issues.

lonewolf23k
2008-04-12, 10:54 AM
It would be better if the Order converted to the Pathfinder rpg, since it's basically a continuation of 3.5 anyway. Plus, he's already working with Paizo. :smallwink:

BRC
2008-04-12, 10:57 AM
*takes large stick*
*beats OP over the head with the stick for making ANOTHER ONE OF THESE THREADS!*

AvangionQ
2008-04-12, 12:01 PM
Sorry about that ... I did a forum search for 4E before I posted this and got an error message ...

hamishspence
2008-04-12, 12:20 PM
why dont we.... discuss, based on our limited knowledge of 4th ed, what sort of things 4th ed would mean for OOTS, rulewise and flufwise? (people with 4th ed miniatures rules, Races and classes, Worlds and monsters, and those who regularly look up 4th ed news on D&D sites especially welcome)

Before you mention half-orcs, gnomes, and bards, keep in mind there will be rules for them, just not right away.

Tingel
2008-04-12, 12:59 PM
This has been asked repeatedly. The FAQ makes it clear Rich regrets making the first strip about the edition change
Which FAQ is this? I couldn't find it here (http://www.giantitp.com/FAQ.html).

We will know if Belkar suddenly grows taller with matching dreadlocks and a new found love for water amongst other things.
The comic's halflings were never identical to modern D&D halflings anyway. They much rather appear to be hobbits. As such, Belkar's looks would not have to change if the comic would upgrade to the 4th edition.

Elements like races etc. are much more dependent on a specific setting than on the rule edition. Not every game world is the same, and each game world can feature slightly different halflings or goblins or sylphs or whatever. The setting of the comic wouldn't have to change along with rule mechanics. I am convinced that "upgrading" the comic (using new feats, powers, spells etc.) would not compromise its setting, characters or story in any way.

factotum
2008-04-12, 01:41 PM
Which FAQ is this? I couldn't find it here (http://www.giantitp.com/FAQ.html).

He doesn't say it in the FAQ, but he DOES mention it in the intro to "Dungeon Crawlin' Fools".

Saint Nil
2008-04-12, 02:26 PM
Smite Idiotic Thread!!!!!!!

David Argall
2008-04-12, 02:49 PM
There will be no conversion until next year at the earliest. We need to learn the system, and the ways to make fun of it.

There is unlikely to be a conversion then either. As noted, it just makes for confusion. You may read some in comic jokes, such as a PC wishing they had some ability from 4e, or grumbling that it seems like some monster does. But this is a 3.5 strip and it will remain one.

Rutee
2008-04-12, 03:09 PM
He doesn't say it in the FAQ, but he DOES mention it in the intro to "Dungeon Crawlin' Fools".

And this makes it clear in the FAQ in what way?

Raeden
2008-04-12, 03:18 PM
There will be no conversion until next year at the earliest. We need to learn the system, and the ways to make fun of it.

It shouldn't take that long to learn 4E really, it promises to be much simpler than 3.5 crunchwise. And I can already imagine quite a few funnies for the little info that's already out there, (Elan getting to choose which ability scores he's gonna boost, V having to pick either Elf or Eladrin, not to mention the umpteen ways to make fun of the second wind action).

But here's a much more relevant question: Does it matter if Rich updates the stickiverse to 4E? Plot-wise, OotS is one of the best and most sophisticated webcomics out there. And more importantly: OotS is fun, it has always been, and it probably will be to the end. It will kick ass in any edition of D&D.

Zafuel
2008-04-12, 03:32 PM
Updating permanently is obviously way out of the question, but I'd quite like it if maybe they saw what they would look like as a 4th ed party. Just as a once-off joke.

Tingel
2008-04-12, 04:20 PM
Updating permanently is obviously way out of the question
How so? I don't see a stringent reason not to "update" the comic sooner or later if Mr Burlew were thusly inclined. It opens up a barrel of potential for fresh game mechanics jokes, and as I said before, it would in no way have to impact the comic's current setting and flavor.

Jayngfet
2008-04-12, 05:13 PM
How so? I don't see a stringent reason not to "update" the comic sooner or later if Mr Burlew were thusly inclined. It opens up a barrel of potential for fresh game mechanics jokes, and as I said before, it would in no way have to impact the comic's current setting and flavor.

except y'know

thog, therkla(who is miko), elan, belkar, gnome druid guy, nale, roy, the sapphire guard and about a dozen other things I can't remember plus adozen unseen things.

hamishspence
2008-04-12, 05:26 PM
which is why we wait till later for druids, bards, etc. Muticlassing rules still exist, but they work differently. Gnomes can still be statted out from MM, but would have racial feats till Eberron books come out, if then.

ShellBullet
2008-04-12, 05:29 PM

The reason is time...

It takes time for things to spread and I think only few selected people would understand 4th ed mechanical jokes while there is horde of people who know 3.5th ed inside out and wouldn't neccerity understand some 4th edition jokes.

Maybe year or two after 4th edition has been realised, but no sooner.

Gamerlord
2008-04-12, 05:38 PM
if the strip converted to 4e then a lot of people whould'nt get the jokes because they never ever will buy 4e and stick(pun intended) to 3.5(i'm one of those people,death to 4e)

David Argall
2008-04-12, 10:04 PM
It shouldn't take that long to learn 4E really, it promises to be much simpler than 3.5 crunchwise.

Promises are often broken. We won't really know if this one is kept until about 2009 either.

KBF
2008-04-12, 10:55 PM
The edition change DOES pose a unique problem to OotS... Seeing as it pretty much will stay 3.5, seeing as there's just about no chance of Rich radically changing the comic to fit the 4.0 rules, rule jokes for 3.5 will come off flat to people who've played 3.5 ("Yea, but 4.0 fixes that") and those who haven't will miss the joke entirely ("WTH? Bard?").

Glome
2008-04-12, 11:36 PM
Of course people should realize that the Order of the Stick is suppose to have a finite run, and eventually the story will end. I think the Giant will probably continue to run the OOTS as 3.5 and probably start another strip at a certain point afer this one ends that makes fun of 4E when everyone has gotten use to the new system (possibly same format, possibly something completely different).

factotum
2008-04-13, 01:08 AM
And this makes it clear in the FAQ in what way?

I wasn't the one that said it was in the FAQ, I think you'll find...I was pointing out that RMS Oceanic made a mistake when he said it was there, but that nonetheless Rich had said this (so he wasn't just making it up).

Trizap
2008-04-13, 02:11 AM
Of course people should realize that the Order of the Stick is suppose to have a finite run, and eventually the story will end. I think the Giant will probably continue to run the OOTS as 3.5 and probably start another strip at a certain point afer this one ends that makes fun of 4E when everyone has gotten use to the new system (possibly same format, possibly something completely different).

yea, thats the most likely version.

Halvormerlinaky
2008-04-13, 02:45 AM
If it happened, Thog would become a Dragonborn. Am I wrong?

But I'd love to see a side-story with OotS as 4e. That could add a lot of humor for old-school types. 4e players would probably say, "That's how it is. Why is that funny?" So much of the humor would be limited. I can see a hard-copy version like SoD as an option. But it will never happen here.

Bogardan_Mage
2008-04-13, 02:58 AM
rule jokes for 3.5 will come off flat to people who've played 3.5 ("Yea, but 4.0 fixes that")
So don't make jokes that elicit such a response? As I understand it, 4th Edition will overhaul a lot of rules in such a way that it's not so much fixing them as rebuilding them from scratch. Plenty of room for jokes.

and those who haven't will miss the joke entirely ("WTH? Bard?").
Bards are not abolished, they're just not core. And frankly, OotS already has a fanbase among people who don't play D&D 3.5 (whether they played older editions or never played D&D at all) so I really don't think it's a problem.

Zafuel
2008-04-13, 03:30 AM

The update is far too comprehensive. Lots of OOTS characters would change radically, as many other people have pointed out. I agree that it would give more rules jokes, but is that actually what you read the comic for? The characterw humour isn't a substitute for rules jokes, its a development.

The Hop Goblin
2008-04-13, 05:39 AM
As a suggestion to any listening mods - why not make a 4th Ed thread that is a sticky - that way it'll only be one thread instead of 2-4 times a week. It doesn't even get to the point of flirting with threadomancy before 2 more are out.

Rutee
2008-04-13, 01:45 PM
The update is far too comprehensive. Lots of OOTS characters would change radically, as many other people have pointed out. I agree that it would give more rules jokes, but is that actually what you read the comic for? The characterw humour isn't a substitute for rules jokes, its a development.

So the rules jokes a particular character makes for a while become "OMG what are my rules? ;.;" Updating doesn't mean no character humor just because a character's class isn't in 4th ed yet. It means different rules jokes. I'm not sure hwy you think the /character/ will change just because the /rules/ do.

MartinHarper
2008-05-02, 07:34 PM
I disagree that June will be too early to start making jokes about 4e. People are making jokes about 4e right now.

Gnomes will certainly be playable characters based on information in the monster manual, and I believe half-orcs will likewise.

:thog: Thog convert to Fighter. Fighter not dumb class any more.

Elan will stay in 3.5 until bards come out for 4.0. This will make him frequently ineffective. "I CAN'T MAKE A STEALTH CHECK". Sometimes his use of 3.5 mechanics will be the trump card that allows the party to be victorious.

Nobody will know whether V is an elf or an eladrin. Many threads will be created to try to figure this out.

Belkar will continue to be a Halfling Ranger and be wildly effective in melee for no logical reason.

Xykon will become a 4e monster, possibly with a lich template, with ritual casting, and therefore will not need a class. The lack of a Sorceror class won't matter to him.

Doesn't seem tricky to me.

Paragon Badger
2008-05-02, 10:15 PM
He should do it. I haven't laughed at OOTS for at least 100 issues.

...Have you been diagnosed with a terminal illness or something? >_>

Laurellien
2008-05-04, 10:29 AM
As nobody has started organ harvesting... I claim his teeth!!! It's currency amongst orcs.

Jayngfet
2008-05-04, 04:52 PM
I'll have his skin and pectorals!

greecetrap
2008-05-04, 06:32 PM
-sigh-

This seemed like a pretty promising, actual discussion thread until the immature folk came along with the "Organ Harvesting."

Anyway, here's my humble opinion:

I don't play DnD, but I've been able to comprehend pretty well what the basic mechanics are.
Ex. "Oh, if he does a 'Spot Check,' this happens, so I guess that's what a spot check is."

Then again, this base of interpreted knowledge came from some 550 strips of OotS.

I'm not sure how different the mechanics of 4e will be, but if it's much different than whatever edition Rich uses in the comics, us (albiet, few) non-players will be a bit more than confused and struggling to catch up again, so as to understand some jokes and possibly parts of the plotline.

[Insert Neat Username Here]
2008-05-04, 06:35 PM
-sigh-

This seemed like a pretty promising, actual discussion thread until the immature folk came along with the "Organ Harvesting."

The problem is that there were already quite a few "promising, actual discussion threads," several of which were still on the first page.

EDIT: After just a skim, I spotted six on the first page alone.

Oh, and since the OP doesn't have an avatar, I'll harvest a letter from his username. I'll take the "i".

Forum Staff
2008-05-05, 05:05 AM