PDA

View Full Version : About the Goblin Slaughter... (SoD spoilers)

Supreme Evil
2008-04-12, 10:24 AM
Why did the paladins spend so much time hunting down non-combatants after they had already killed the bearer of the Crimson Mantle? Like they one that hunted down and killed Redclaok's younger sister and the one tried to kill his younger brother. It was clear that they were unarmed and just trying to hide. Why did the paladins waste their time hunting them all down?

Other than that, this scene made me think that Redcloak's hatred of paladins was completely justified. They killed his mother, his older brother, his younger sister, his uncle, and his mentor in front of him. They tried to kill his younger brother as well. They destroyed his entire home. It really makes me feel sorry for him. It seriously adds weight to what he says in the last panel of this comic (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0422.html).

:redcloak: This one's for you, Mom. Fire the catapults!

hamishspence
2008-04-12, 10:36 AM
there is a similar post on same topic below. Howeevr if modifications or digressions pull it in different directs, this one might be interesting in its own right.

And yes, Redcloak's trials and tribulations make him a character to sympathise with, although not condone his deeds.

SPoD
2008-04-12, 10:55 AM
Why did the paladins spend so much time hunting down non-combatants after they had already killed the bearer of the Crimson Mantle? Like they one that hunted down and killed Redclaok's younger sister and the one tried to kill his younger brother. It was clear that they were unarmed and just trying to hide. Why did the paladins waste their time hunting them all down?

My understanding is that the paladins did not know exactly who could make use of the Crimson Mantle, and believed that any goblin could pick it up and continue the Dark One's plan (which is sort of what happened, although it is implied that only a cleric could bear it). Therefore, they killed every goblin to be certain that there would not be anyone to carry on the Plan. Since the goblins were Evil anyway and their gods specifically sanction the killing of goblins as acceptable, it was the easiest solution.

Because is is an artifact, the Mantle itself is probably too difficult to destroy on the spot (and might even harm a Goo-aligned character who tires to handle it). It's possible they had a plan for removing the Mantle back to Azure City and disposing of it properly, but that plan was interrupted by Redcloak escaping with it.

Edric O
2008-04-12, 07:24 PM
And yes, Redcloak's trials and tribulations make him a character to sympathise with, although not condone his deeds.
Actually, had I been in Redcloak's place, I would have done exactly as he did, with a rather important exception (SoD spoiler):

After lich-Xykon threatened Right-Eye in the Evil Diner, I would have abandoned him, walked in the opposite direction, and recruited an aventuring party to destroy him before trying to carry on with the Plan.

Supreme Evil
2008-04-12, 08:13 PM
Actually, had I been in Redcloak's place, I would have done exactly as he did, with a rather important exception (SoD spoiler):

After lich-Xykon threatened Right-Eye in the Evil Diner, I would have abandoned him, walked in the opposite direction, and recruited an aventuring party to destroy him before trying to carry on with the Plan.

But then Xykon would've murdered him and Right-Eye. I'd have just used Disintegrate to bust out of the cell in the first place.

Paladin29
2008-04-13, 06:59 AM
I ... I must to say it: where do you get that awesome picture of Readcloack with evil mustache??

Supreme Evil
2008-04-13, 07:50 PM
I ... I must to say it: where do you get that awesome picture of Readcloack with evil mustache??

I it from right here. (http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn217/Holammer/twirl.png) Hope you like it.

Chronos
2008-04-14, 02:43 PM
[quote]But then Xykon would've murdered him and Right-Eye. I'd have just used Disintegrate to bust out of the cell in the first place./quote]Great idea, but... um... How? Redcloak didn't yet have Heal at that point, so he wouldn't have had Disintegrate yet, either.

King of Nowhere
2008-04-14, 03:57 PM
About the slaughter, I think the paladins did it because they were fanatics and tought it was good to eradicate goblins from the world.
About what I did if I were Redcloak, maybe I'd try to spread knowledge of the secret lore of the crimson mantle; the sob story of how the NPC races was betrayed and abused could grant the help of many good aligned people.
But, if I not only were in place of Redcloak, but I also knew exatly what he knew... then, sad to say, I'd act more or less like him because I would'nt have any hope in building the goblins peacefully, with all the raging paladins and the adventurers looking for XP