PDA

View Full Version : Demonic Cult

SadisticFishing
2008-04-12, 01:40 PM
I've planned a Demon Cult as the next thing my players will tackle. The cult has something the group needs, and they know it (actually, the Demons don't, someone stole it - but the group doesn't know that).

And I'm having a hard time getting myself into it farther than I already have, I love some of the encounters, but the group is so bad at subterfuge that my original plan isn't going to work at all.

Basically, a need a couple encounters to use, and some NPC's to have worship the demons.

The group is four level 7 characters - Artificer, Barbarian, Cleric, Psychic Warrior.

What sort of NPC's would be part of a demon cult?

So far I have a fighter/crusader that two weapon fights with Kusari Gamas, who may or may not have a bard with Dragonfire Inspiration with him. Also, a sorcerer or two. But that's really it - I guess a Hexblade and a Paladin of Slaughter? Note - the group will probably not fight all of these, I just need NPCs to be part of the cult, and I like having most things statted out.

For encounters, I have a Babau and 4 Dretches, 2 Nabassus, 3 Shardsoul Slayers (stolen from Derro), an Arrow Demon, 2 Jovocs...

That could be enough, but this is supposed to be a full level, and I usually like having RP, and I'm not sure how to put it in.

Ooh, I could have prisoners there... just gotta figure out what kind. A devil worshiper prisoner could be cool, as the group would have a slight dilemma - devils are pretty evil. A devil itself could be good too, as well as good guys...

Basically, I have a skeleton, and I like the skeleton, but I'm having trouble fleshing it out! Even one line ideas would be useful.

Thanks!

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-04-12, 02:27 PM
How about some warlocks?

Fiendish Codex I and the Book of Vile Shadowy Illumination (BOVD) are also good places to look for background info and inspiration.

mikeejimbo
2008-04-12, 02:40 PM
I like the idea of a cleric of a good church who is secretly in a Demon Cult. Preferably a Lawful Good church, too. He'd have to have something to give him undetectable alignment, of course.

SadisticFishing
2008-04-12, 02:47 PM
Warlocks! Thank you, I knew I was forgetting something - though one of our other DMs just had a whole Devil cult of warlocks, so fighting too many would be bad... warlocks make a good front man.

Yep, Shadowspy of Pelor. Thank you again, I already had the idea but I forgotted it >.< I need to start writing things down.

FlyMolo
2008-04-12, 03:47 PM
How about some warlocks?

Fiendish Codex I and the Book of Vile Shadowy Illumination (BOVD) are also good places to look for background info and inspiration.

BoVSI? Classic. Well said, my friend, well said.

Yeah, you might also want to look into some fiendish grafts, from the Fiend Folio. Flavorful, much? there's also a handful of psionic ones in there, so you can have some interesting challenges that the party have to beat without fighting, because, you know, the threat is in the PsyWar's head.

hamishspence
2008-04-12, 05:05 PM
Dragon magazine filled out a few of those cults: Demonomicon of Iggwilv articles. Or you could make up own demon lord.

SadisticFishing
2008-04-12, 05:10 PM
Oh it's a cult of Orcus, if that matters, and Tenebrous is going to have a presence later in the game...

hamishspence
2008-04-12, 05:21 PM
mmm, shadowcasting?

they are a bit underpowered compared to core casters, but might have a high coolness factor.

DraPrime
2008-04-12, 05:47 PM
How about some rogues that enjoy using poison arrows? Or maybe a succubus that pretends to be a prisoner, but then does some crafty treachery.

SadisticFishing
2008-04-12, 06:34 PM
How about some rogues that enjoy using poison arrows? Or maybe a succubus that pretends to be a prisoner, but then does some crafty treachery.

This is a great idea (the Succubus).

Yeygresh
2008-04-12, 07:41 PM
From MMV, Carnage Demons(like 6 of them) and a level 5 warlock(CA) or three.

DraPrime
2008-04-12, 07:48 PM
A few more ideas popped into my head. You could have a demon posses a character, but through several ways.

1. The character immediately turns on the rest of the party and begins attacking them.
2. The demon quietly controls the character for some time, waiting for an opportune moment to strike. Maybe the demon quietly betrays the party.
3. A possessed item is in the treasure. Some character will pick it up, and potentially be possessed. Choose options 1 or 2 from here.

If you do go for option 2, I suggest you allow the player to continue to control their character. You just have to take them aside, and talk with them about this. Then simply tell the player when you want them to do any betraying. Maybe you should have that succubus I suggested earlier as an ally of the possessed character.

Smiley_
2008-04-12, 08:01 PM
Remember, certain demon lords will always have a special force

For Orcus, he is the demon lord of death, so give him undead to fill his temples

If it were a cult of Yengouh, gnolls and ghouls are the way to go.

For Demogorgon, use abberations and self mutilators.

and so on...

Agrippa
2008-04-12, 08:04 PM
For Demogorgon, use abberations and self mutilators.

and so on...

Manta rays, Demogorgon likes manta rays.

SadisticFishing
2008-04-12, 09:08 PM
Actually I may need to use Grazzt instead of Orcus. What would Grazzt have?

Smiley_
2008-04-12, 09:13 PM
Grazzt is a demon of lies and deceit, if I am not mistaken. Give him succubi minions.

Xuincherguixe
2008-04-12, 10:04 PM
Lies and Deceit? In that case, you might want to go with some enemies that seem to be somewhere they aren't (Displacer Beasts I think might be the only ones like that, but there could be a few others), throw a lot of illusions around, and some insidious traps probably aren't out of place either.

I'm a fan of the idea of obtaining truth out of lies, but that's just me. "The way out is the second pillar". If one determines that's a lie, they know it isn't the second pillar. But beyond simple deduction skills, I mean a general theme of truth from lies.

It might add a bit of character to the cult too. They would be worshipers of not just lies, but truth as well. (And, likely secrets too)

purepolarpanzer
2008-04-13, 06:00 PM
Grazzt- Decadence, deceit, and darkness. Slave prisoners are a must, as are succubi (his girl friend is queen of them, last I heard). Maybe some rooms where maddening whispers assault the PC's, make them wierd out. Traps are good, as are the *****ier demons (Jovocs are great). Also good to have some moral dilemmas (let someone be sacrificed or jump out and save the day? Spare a prisoner who is taitned or put them out of their misery?). One thing I like to do is have interferance from other demon lords, possibly who hired the PC's to mess up the other Lord's interests.