PDA

View Full Version : Does this item exist?

Corsec1337
2008-04-12, 02:21 PM
Is their an item that stops mind control? I have all books and just can't seem to find an item that stops mind control.

Dr Bwaa
2008-04-12, 02:24 PM
I don't know if it already exists, but I imagine you'd be able to brew up a Helm of Mindblank pretty easily anyway.

NEO|Phyte
2008-04-12, 02:28 PM
Is their an item that stops mind control? I have all books and just can't seem to find an item that stops mind control.

Third Eye: Conceal (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#conceal)

I believe its also been reprinted in the Magic Item Compendium.

Keld Denar
2008-04-12, 02:32 PM

There is a Ring of Mind Shielding in DMGII or MIC, don't remember, but it gives continuous Mind Blank. Its like 110,000 gold though, so its really steep.

Really, and item that gives you continual Protection from Evil would work. Per one of the last FAQs, Prot Evil is now one of the most powerful defensive spells in the game for your noggin, and only a 1st level spell! AMAZING!

Grynning
2008-04-12, 10:08 PM
Protection From (Alignment) spells have always stopped all mind-affecting effects (regardless of the caster's alignment). Either have your cleric keep it up all the time, get a familiar or cohort that has it as a spell or a spell-like, or get the "Exalted" armor property from BoED (which gives you constant prot. evil) and mind-affecting abilities are not a problem - unless the DM is smart and hits you with some dispels beforehand. Potions of Prot. from Evil are the cheapest way to do this.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-04-12, 10:15 PM
All mind-affecting effects? What?

Second, the barrier blocks any attempt to possess the warded creature (by a magic jar attack, for example) or to exercise mental control over the creature (including enchantment (charm) effects and enchantment (compulsion) effects that grant the caster ongoing control over the subject, such as dominate person). The protection does not prevent such effects from targeting the protected creature, but it suppresses the effect for the duration of the protection from evil effect. If the protection from evil effect ends before the effect granting mental control does, the would-be controller would then be able to mentally command the controlled creature. Likewise, the barrier keeps out a possessing life force but does not expel one if it is in place before the spell is cast. This second effect works regardless of alignment.

It doesn't even say "mind-affecting."

It does stop mind control, though, so it's precisely what you're looking for, Corsec1337.

The base price is 2,000 gp for a ring of continuous protection from [alignment], 3,000 gp for an amulet/brooch/neck item/headband/helmet, or 4,000 gp for an unslotted item.

skywalker
2008-04-12, 10:44 PM
The base price is 2,000 gp for a ring of continuous protection from [alignment], 3,000 gp for an amulet/brooch/neck item/headband/helmet, or 4,000 gp for an unslotted item.

Yes, but, due to it's usefulness as previously expounded, it is recommended that the guidelines not be followed in this case.

As for items(all from MIC):
The Mindarmor enhancement gives +5 saves vs. all mind-affecting effects until the start of your next turn as an immediate action. Kinda crappy, but priced to match.

The armor crystal of mindcloaking series grants progressive bonuses against mind affecting effects, and the greater crystal allows you to re-roll one save per day.

Crystal Mask of Mindarmor grants +4 to all will saves.

More later.

Corsec1337
2008-04-13, 12:59 AM
This was my mistake, the item of Protection From (Insert) will not work. In the dnd game I play in we have a Barbarian that has a horrible will save and can two shot anything in the party. We are, therefore, worried that he might get mind controlled. Due to this, we were looking for an item to stop mind control. We looked at the price to make an item that would have protection from evil on it and our DM shot it down. Here is his response.

Looks like I forgot to respond to this. Sorry for the delay.

Yes, I will allow an item to be created that only grants a partial effect of a spell. There are items in the DMG that set a precedent for this.

In general, creating a new magic item that doesn't exist in the DMG will require research time. It may take a short time or it may take a long time.

Looking specifically at the Protection from Evil/Good/Law/Chaos spell, a common level 1 spell with a solid benefit useful to many people, I'm guessing research time would be high. I recommend starting with research into how to become a Lich. After achieving lichdom, you may have enough time to figure out how to create such a magic item. Unless adventurers find you and kill you first. Stupid adventurers. Always invading a magic-user's home, stealing their stuff and killing anything they find. If it wasn't for adventures, magic would be 1000 years more advanced than it is now. Ignorant barbarians.

I'll look into some of the items you have suggested. Sorry I forgot to add in that bit of detail.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-04-13, 05:24 AM
Your DM's logic makes little sense, but what can you do?

So keep protection from evil prepared. It suppresses an ongoing mind control or possession effect, and is resisted with a Will save. When the barbarian gets mind controlled, you hit him with PFE. Alternatively, you use it prior to entering combat with something that might mind control him.

Also, yeah, the item cost should be higher; I forgot to multiply the main effect's base price by 2 (for the 1 min/level duration), and the AC and save bonuses should be paid for separately. So it's...

(2000 * 2 * 1.5) + 8,000 + (4,000 * 1.5) = 20,000 gp for a ring or other appropriately slotted item.

More reasonable. And defeating possession and mind control isn't that powerful of an item, really. It's situationally useful, and seems about on par with the ring of invisibility (which, incidentally, is 4,000 gp cheaper than the item creation rules would make it).

Kizara
2008-04-13, 06:05 AM
Your DM's logic makes little sense, but what can you do?

So keep protection from evil prepared. It suppresses an ongoing mind control or possession effect, and is resisted with a Will save. When the barbarian gets mind controlled, you hit him with PFE. Alternatively, you use it prior to entering combat with something that might mind control him.

Also, yeah, the item cost should be higher; I forgot to multiply the main effect's base price by 2 (for the 1 min/level duration), and the AC and save bonuses should be paid for separately. So it's...

(2000 * 2 * 1.5) + 8,000 + (4,000 * 1.5) = 20,000 gp for a ring or other appropriately slotted item.

More reasonable. And defeating possession and mind control isn't that powerful of an item, really. It's situationally useful, and seems about on par with the ring of invisibility (which, incidentally, is 4,000 gp cheaper than the item creation rules would make it).

It gets a special discount for ancient 'elvish' symbols that aid and define it's creation.

Kurald Galain
2008-04-13, 06:10 AM
It gets a special discount for ancient 'elvish' symbols that aid and define it's creation.

Ash nazg durbatulūk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulūk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

skywalker
2008-04-13, 12:40 PM
Ash nazg durbatulūk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulūk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Do not utter that speech here!

Kizara, I thought WETA just offered bulk discounts?

As an aside, does the ring of invisibility require you to re-activate it as a standard action if you attack? I've always been slightly confused by this.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-04-13, 03:36 PM
As an aside, does the ring of invisibility require you to re-activate it as a standard action if you attack? I've always been slightly confused by this.

"invisibility, as the spell"

So yes, attacking ends the effect and requires you to re-activate it.