wadledo
2008-04-12, 04:52 PM
May 26, 1754

Life.
War.
Love.
Hate.
What are these things I wonder?
We have been sent to confront the french in regards to their holding of Fort Du Quesne, and I fear for peace.
Those French cannot be trusted, no matter the treaties we have established with them.
Why, they are nearly as bolsterous as these so called americans!
Can you believe I saw several of the savages people walking the fine roads your and mine dollars helped to create?!
Of course, we ourselves have several allies among the Seneca, so I shall not be to hard on the poor unchristian beings.
But, this is of no matter to you.

Yours truely,
George

Under Lieutenant Colonel George Washington, you have traveled into Pennsylvania to confront the French and take the Fort Duquesne.
You are currently about 23 miles to the south east of the fort, and expect to arrive there the day after tomorrow.

The sun sets slowly over the trees, and the march is called to a halt.
You are ordered to set up camp and prepare for the night.

Meat Shield
2008-04-12, 05:36 PM
Rene stakes a claim to a spot next to le Colonel's tent, and takes exquisite care in brushing down his fine steed Brise-Mer after his long day (OOC: I'll take 20 on the handle animal if it matters). He makes sure that he has good forage, a gives him a carrot as a treat, then wraps his tether around a tree near where his tent will be. Afterwards, he sets up his tent and the predetermined location and stows his gear inside.

While all this is going on, he trades small talk with the other officers, and will remain up a little longer making sure his blades are clean and shine even in the dim starlight. He is also somewhat meticulous about his appearance, and takes care to clean any burrs or smudges he may have acquired upon the trail.

"Do try to sleep well, mon frere. This will be the last night where we should expect no unwanted visitors, due to their distance away. Tomorrow we will be very near our target, and will likely be able to smell their approach."

OOC: Since I will have more prep work and vanity issues to work through before finally retiring, I am essentially taking first watch along with whatever other sentries Col. Washington has posted about the perimeter.

PS: Hey Wadledo, what is my rank?Since I am nobility and brought my own horse, I am assuming officer, but what exactly?

serow
2008-04-12, 08:22 PM
Konei is a little tired from the march but methodically helps to set up camp for the night. It is this sort of routine that though boring, makes life a little easier to live in.

Once that is done, Konei spends some moments cooking a little something to eat, along with the fellow soldiers. When his sergeant comes up and tells him he is assigned to the last watch, Konei doesn't complain. He just says "OK sergeant" and continues to eat and chat.

Deathslayer7
2008-04-13, 03:57 AM
David Popowski

David sets down his backpack. He looks barely fatigued from the long march, and in fact, rarely is. Working on the farm was harder work then this. He helps set up camp, but leaves the cooking to others.

After food is ready, he helps pass it out to others. Walking over to Konei, he says

Hey my names David, can I join you for this evening meal?

serow
2008-04-13, 04:17 AM
Konei

"Sit, sit. Is always good to have a little company in the night. Konei, Konei Popov." Konei introduces himself with a gentle tap on his own chest. "I'm a foot soldier, you too?"

KaganMonk
2008-04-13, 10:04 AM
Hywel is used to travelling all day, but he's filled with apprehension over the coming battle. It's for a good cause though, don't forget that he mumbles to himself. Those blasted French had taken away his trading route after all. When the officers start looking for people to take the watch, Hywel volunteers for the third watch, then decides to go to sleep early.

Deathslayer7
2008-04-13, 11:04 AM
That and more. David replies. I'm serving as a captive in this war. Otherwise I would be six feet under right now. he sighs. I now realize America is different than I would have thought

Meat Shield
2008-04-13, 11:22 AM
OOC: Wadledo, for ease of DMing and party togetherness, I had a thought. Would it be best if we were all treated as a small squad that operates together, and since I am thinking I am the only officer they would 'report' to me? That way you can just have George give an order and off we go. It would also be a convenient reason for us to all be together all the time.

Don't worry guys, I won't abuse it. Rene only cares that the interests of the French crown are hindered at every opportunity. As long as we are doing that and you treat him like an officer and a noble, I think he would be ok with anything. What do you all think?

Quincunx
2008-04-13, 11:39 AM
Prosperity Gunnerson

One man walks between the officers' tents and the baggage train, supervising two of the wagoneers as they unload a blue-stenciled tent and necessary supplies to feed and water the animals in harness. Once the tent is set up on ground with good drainage, Prosperity sets the trimmed lantern just inside and joins the officers for the evening--while there's a need to talk to the foot soldiers, they're more likely to meet later.

"Will thee be riding into battle?" he asks of the polished young officer. Perry can't help glancing at the plume, the lowest branches of the nearby trees, the plume again. His own hat doesn't even have the upturned edges of a tricorn, and the clothing was just a better-kept version of the trapper's outfits. "I mistrust horses on a battlefield. I had to choose between the firearm and the filly, and thought it best to keep the weapon."

serow
2008-04-13, 12:11 PM
That and more. David replies. I'm serving as a captive in this war. Otherwise I would be six feet under right now. he sighs. I now realize America is different than I would have thought"Ah. It seems their word freedom isn't meant to be for everyone. I know." Konei pauses for a moment, offering some of the food he was cooking to David. "Taste good. I'm in here, because I have no more place to go. The army. My last home, to say."

Meat Shield
2008-04-13, 12:44 PM
"Will thee be riding into battle?" he asks of the polished young officer. Perry can't help glancing at the plume, the lowest branches of the nearby trees, the plume again. His own hat doesn't even have the upturned edges of a tricorn, and the clothing was just a better-kept version of the trapper's outfits. "I mistrust horses on a battlefield. I had to choose between the firearm and the filly, and thought it best to keep the weapon."
"Ah, thee would be Prosperity, non? I am Rene d'Bethune, chevalier to the true King of France, the Dauphin." The light gleams in his eyes as he says this last part. "As for Brise-Mer," gesturing over his shoulder to the light brown thoroughbred munching contentedly, "oui, I will if the terrain allows. He is a fine creature, and has not failed me yet. I find that I have a much better view from above than on foot. But if the going is unsuitable, I shall stand with the soldiers. Ultimately, it matters not how I face the traitres, but that I do it at all. Besides, if I do not have to walk all the way from Virginia when I could ride, why would I not bring my steed?"

Gesturing to the firearm, Rene intones, "as for the weapon, I am more comfortable with a traditional choice, non?", patting his fine sword. "One cannot doubt their effectiveness in the hands of one properly trained, however such dirty and noisy implements are unbecoming to those of my stature. I must keep up appearances," he says with a twinkle in his eye. Careful examination of the hat notes that the feather looks as if it were just plucked from the bird, and not as if it had been beaten about all day on the trail, although no one can quite remember it ever being off the Frenchman's head.

Deathslayer7
2008-04-13, 07:11 PM
"Ah. It seems their word freedom isn't meant to be for everyone. I know." Konei pauses for a moment, offering some of the food he was cooking to David. "Taste good. I'm in here, because I have no more place to go. The army. My last home, to say."

Thank you David says as he accepts the food. It might just be our actual last home if we don't survive this war he says to Konei.

Quincunx
2008-04-14, 09:30 AM
Prosperity acknowledges the naming, "I am pleased to know thee, and that you know of me--" --here he glances back at the tent, and a spot of pink appears high on each cheek-- "the Book commands us to be humble, but it doesn't speak to the businesses. . . .That wasn't a choice, but sound business sense. I will leave the furnishings and the French to my dear wife, whenever my mother selects a suitable young lady. For four years she has trusted me to conduct business in the less civilized areas while she skims through the social circles. I couldn't bear the distress it would cause if I were to ask her to come to a conclusion!" He's grinning openly now.

"Thee has probably already found the traditions of this land strange. I don't mean the natives; His hand will soon attend to them. Attend to the settlers and to the trappers, the people who know this land. None of them carry swords if they can afford a pistol or a musket. For the sake of yourself and your magnificent animal, attend to them." Prosperity pauses to gather his thoughts. "When I ask for the second watch, I will ask the others what they know of this fort. Surely someone in this encampment has already made a map."

(OOC: Putting the necessary knowledges to work.)

Meat Shield
2008-04-14, 12:14 PM
Prosperity acknowledges the naming, "I am pleased to know thee, and that you know of me--" --here he glances back at the tent, and a spot of pink appears high on each cheek-- "the Book commands us to be humble, but it doesn't speak to the businesses. . . .That wasn't a choice, but sound business sense. I will leave the furnishings and the French to my dear wife, whenever my mother selects a suitable young lady. For four years she has trusted me to conduct business in the less civilized areas while she skims through the social circles. I couldn't bear the distress it would cause if I were to ask her to come to a conclusion!" He's grinning openly now.

"Thee has probably already found the traditions of this land strange. I don't mean the natives; His hand will soon attend to them. Attend to the settlers and to the trappers, the people who know this land. None of them carry swords if they can afford a pistol or a musket. For the sake of yourself and your magnificent animal, attend to them." Prosperity pauses to gather his thoughts. "When I ask for the second watch, I will ask the others what they know of this fort. Surely someone in this encampment has already made a map."
"Oh, I do not disparage the choice of firearm over the blade. Each must choose what is best for himself. I find that to be true to myself, however, I must use something with more elegance and precision." and finishes polishing his lightblade with a flourish and sheathes it in one motion, the blade making a hauntingly beautiful, steady note as it enters the sheath. "As for the native's strangeness, que sera sera. This is not my home. My home is France. This is merely the first step home for me."

"Your idea of studying the layout of the fort has merit. I shall attempt to recall what I know of the enemy commander, so that we may know what to expect."

Knowledge:Nobility (to know who the local French lord/governor for this region of North America and what his personality may be)
[roll0]

Knowledge:Nobility (to know who may be the enemy commander and what kind of commander is he?)
[roll1]

If you want to use the first roll for all these questions that is fine, ignore the second roll.

wadledo
2008-04-16, 02:06 AM
Knowledge:From what you've heard recently, the commandership (which at this point is the same as the governor) has changed hands to a native born French-Indian bastard (I.e. illegitimate son + and very unpleasant person). Not much is known about him other than being brutally efficient and preferring to use flanking tactics.
All in all, a very unpleasant person.

Meat Shield
2008-04-16, 08:02 AM
"Ah, yes, I remember now. The local military commander is one Chogan Jacques le Mond, recently appointed to the post. By all accounts a thoroughly unpleasant man, given to brutish behavior and unconventional tactics. Apparently he has made quite the name for himself by striking from unexpected directions, and then unmercifully striking down all those he finds. We must indeed be cautious and watch ourselves. I will pass this information on to le Colonel as well, he must be warned."

Passing through the ranks on his way to speak to Colonel Washington, Rene finds the Pole and the Russian gathered around their fire. "Sleep well gentlemen, for tomorrow brings Heaven knows what. And be warned, the enemy commander is as cunning as he is ruthless. Attacks may come from anywhere."

serow
2008-04-16, 09:36 PM
Passing through the ranks on his way to speak to Colonel Washington, Rene finds the Pole and the Russian gathered around their fire. [COLOR="Blue"]"Sleep well gentlemen, for tomorrow brings Heaven knows what. And be warned, the enemy commander is as cunning as he is ruthless. Attacks may come from anywhere."Konei looks up at the French officer who spoke with them for a brief moment. Ah, that man. One of the riders. He thinks to himself.

Yes sir. I won't want to be dead tomorrow. Still have much to life to live. You hear, David? Time to get rest. We have a hard day tomorrow." - And much blood to shed. - He finishes his sentence in his mind.

Meat Shield
2008-04-20, 11:43 AM
OOC: Hey Wadledo, I think we need something to do. We are waiting on either the Colonel to tell us to do something or for us to get jumped in the middle of the night so let us know.

wadledo
2008-04-20, 11:18 PM
OOC: If you're not going to use the OOC thread, then I won't either.

Later that night.....
*Fwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaa....dwump*
*Fwwwwaaaaa....dwump*
*Fwwaa...dwump*
"What in god's name?!!!!"
"AHHHHHHH! Indian attack! Indian ATTACK!"
You either wake to screaming, or (if you make a DC 22 Listen check and aren't awake at 3 in the morning) wake to the odd crashing sound that heads through the woods towards camp.

Anyone who can see well in the moonlight finds a creature composed entirely of water towering over the tents at the edge of camp, it's body glittering with Indian symbols.

OOC: Roll initiative, knowledge, etc.

serow
2008-04-21, 12:36 AM
"By the... a water monster?!" Konei exclaims to nobody in particular, seeing the strange monstrosity.

Bewildered but not losing his calm yet, Konei hurriedly gathers himself (not that it would matter much, since he was going to wake up soon for the last watch) and draws his longbow in preparation for a test shot, notching an arrow.

[roll0]

Meat Shield
2008-04-21, 07:26 AM
"Mon dieu! To arms! To arms!" Struggling from his tent, Rene straps on his swords and calms Brise-Mer, trying to think of anything that would be useful against such a creature. Alighting upon his steed, Rene turns and faces the creature. But mindful of what he knows of the enemy commander, he spares a glance around the camp to see if there are other enemies about.

Initiative [roll0]
Knowledge [roll1]
Spot [roll2]
Listen [roll3]

Knowledge roll for info on the creature. Spot and listen for anything else going on, other bad guys coming, something special about the water creature, etc.

Yeah, sorry, that last comment shoulda been in the OOC thread.

KaganMonk
2008-04-21, 11:18 AM
Hywel narrows his eyes to take a good look at the creature before moving into action, reaching for a dorje.

Should already be awake unless I got the watches wrong
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
I know the following languages if I can read and make sense of the symbols:
Algonquian, Mohawk, Tuscagora, Oneida