PDA

View Full Version : FAQ lies!

Gamerlord
2008-04-12, 05:17 PM
in the FAQ rich says there are no bad words in order of the stick,what garbage.
there are more curse words then you can shake a +20 sword of stabbing doom at.
thats not even counting the nudity and sexual themes :furious:

ShellBullet
2008-04-12, 05:31 PM
A link for said answer.

Gamerlord
2008-04-12, 05:32 PM
A link for said answer.

http://www.giantitp.com/FAQ.html

here

Kurald Galain
2008-04-12, 05:37 PM
There's no nudity, just invisible people.

Jonathan327
2008-04-12, 05:39 PM
A: For the same reason there are not curses (at least, not really bad ones) in OOTS: because young children sometimes read this strip. I have personally met fans in the 10-11 year old range, and I'd prefer that this site stay no worse than primetime network television when it comes to curses and explicit material. That said, because I realize that the strip has many older fans, expect that the comic will sometimes obliquely reference material that would not be appropriate to spell out.

No explicit material and no really bad curses. I have yet to see anything in OotS that wouldn't be allowed on a primetime television network.

I fail to see how the FAQ is inaccurate.

RTGoodman
2008-04-12, 05:40 PM
He doesn't say there's no profanity, he says:

Q: How come I can't curse on the message board?

A: For the same reason there are not curses (at least, not really bad ones) in OOTS: because young children sometimes read this strip. I have personally met fans in the 10-11 year old range, and I'd prefer that this site stay no worse than primetime network television when it comes to curses and explicit material. That said, because I realize that the strip has many older fans, expect that the comic will sometimes obliquely reference material that would not be appropriate to spell out.

The only cursing in the strip is Belkar for the most part (which is definitely in his character anyway), and I don't remember it being that bad. The only nudity I remember is this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0025.html), and I'm not sure how that's offensive to anyone. As for "sexual themes," I'm not sure I see that at all. I mean, yes there are some euphemisms and things, but as the Giant said, it's no worse than what you'd see in a PG/PG13 movie or in normal television.

Care to provide specific examples of what you find offensive?

EDIT: Double-ninja'd!

ShellBullet
2008-04-12, 05:41 PM
I don't remember one of character curse ( Well V did sort, but it was more like " Curse these mystical changes that try to make wizard weaker " )

While Elan was nude, he was however heavily censored and sex is only slightly implied.

Gamerlord
2008-04-12, 05:46 PM
and sex is only slightly implied.
hilgya and durkon? bandit leader and elan?

Euphemism
2008-04-12, 05:52 PM
Hil and Dur were practicing for Circque de Soliel, duh. Even the observers comment on their flexibility. ;)

This has been your daily portion of troll chow.

Gamerlord
2008-04-12, 05:54 PM
Hil and Dur were practicing for Circque de Soliel, duh. Even the observers comment on their flexibility. ;)

This has been your daily portion of troll chow.
yummy food

Morgan Wick
2008-04-12, 06:18 PM
Don't forget Roy and Celia...

Lerky
2008-04-12, 06:47 PM
actually in the OOTS book "Dungeon Crawling Fools" Rich says on page 1 (not the introduction or pgs. A-I) that:
"The 'bardic nudity' strips were a lot of fun to do, partly because I got the chance to show that while these were stick figures, this was not a strip for young childern. While Elan's nakedness is somewhat innocent, Haley's desire to check him out indicates that yes, the strip will sometimes drift into 'PG-13' territory. Strip #28 was kind of my 'warning shot' to those who would be offended by mildly adult material."

this says that it is meant to be somewhat adult so hold your horses, don't get all over excited by sexual themes, it's supposed to be there because it's funny. Lighten up:smallamused:

and also in the FAQ he says:
"For the same reason there are no curses (at least, not really bad ones) in OOTS"

he says at least, not really bad ones and I have to admit he doesn't say a lot of bad words. He says curse words sure but not really bad ones like... well I'm not going to say those on a public thread. And like I said before relax and lighten up, no need to get worked up over a webcomic drawn with stick figures:smallamused:

so in short. The strip is supposed to be like this, if your offended by it why not check out some other webcomic... or read a book or something, gods I don't know!

NikkTheTrick
2008-04-12, 08:48 PM
To understand what was going on there, one needs to be familiar with the subject in the first place. As it was said before, nothing was explicit.

Kai Maera
2008-04-12, 09:16 PM
I think the core problem here is that no one who replied to this thread thus far watches prime time television.

A lot worse than "the s word" and two dwarves making out happens on primetime television.

ShellBullet
2008-04-13, 02:50 AM

It was implied, not shown.

Tarp
2008-04-13, 09:37 AM
well basicly if you have a problem with anything said or shown in OftS then go jump in a lake, nobody is forcing you to read the comic so just bugger off if you have a problem.

Raging_Pacifist
2008-04-13, 11:15 AM
*Sigh* Gamerkid, it seems like everytime I view a thread you've participated in you complain about either Rich or his comic. If you have this many problems w/ GiantITP then stop posting. Also, I wouldnt call them lies. More like occasional truth smears.

NikkTheTrick
2008-04-13, 11:52 AM
I think the core problem here is that no one who replied to this thread thus far watches prime time television.

A lot worse than "the s word" and two dwarves making out happens on primetime television.
Not to mention the fact that I find blood, gore and thousands of people killed (in movies, but still) on TV to be way more disturbing than use of an f-word. Hell, I knew that word when I was 9 years old and I knew very little English back then...

Mauve Shirt
2008-04-13, 12:22 PM
Gamerkid, why do you even come here?

SoD
2008-04-13, 01:48 PM
Nudity? Sexual themes? Good god man, never, and I repeat never visit the House of Horrors.

Actualy, second thought, go there. Learn what can be more offensive than OotS.

Gamerlord
2008-04-13, 02:28 PM
Nudity? Sexual themes? Good god man, never, and I repeat never visit the House of Horrors.

Actualy, second thought, go there. Learn what can be more offensive than OotS.
ok...(9 hours later)
my sanity just took massive damage and is -9 and bleeding

mikeejimbo
2008-04-13, 02:57 PM
Oh, gah, the horror.... yeah, OOTS isn't bad at all compared to...some things.

Callista
2008-04-13, 03:04 PM
HEre, this should heal your sanity.

http://www.allfreegreetingcards.com/cards/glasskitten.jpg

pigknight
2008-04-13, 03:42 PM
I've seen worse on Nickolodean.

Gamerlord
2008-04-13, 04:49 PM
HEre, this should heal your sanity.

http://www.allfreegreetingcards.com/cards/glasskitten.jpg
uh...WHAT is that??

BRC
2008-04-13, 04:50 PM
uh...WHAT is that??

A Kitty in a glass of course.

Gamerlord
2008-04-13, 04:53 PM
Oh, gah, the horror.... yeah, OOTS isn't bad at all compared to...some things.
to quote thief of 8-bit theater:
"you'll doom us all,man! there are THINGS,spidery and elusive,that are meant not to be known by mortals!"
also,one of those "things" is 8-bit theater

Newtkeeper
2008-04-13, 06:54 PM
I've seen worse on Nickolodean.

Seen worse, perhaps, but would Nickolodean really say "I'm watching two dwarves have sex on level 14?"

That goes past hinted, through implied and smashes into stated at ninety miles per hour!