PDA

View Full Version : TWF Rogue

MeklorIlavator
2008-04-12, 09:04 PM
I'm making a twf Psionic rouge//ranger, and I was looking for a little help. Here's the sheet (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=3714), but to summarize, its a 12th level gestalt whisper gnome of the above classes, with the ranger as a spell-less variant. Currently, it has two Weapon fighting, improved two Weapon fighting, two weapon rend, two weapon pounce, but as I've said I'm not really sure where to go with this(feat wise). Currently, I'm planing on getting wounding weapons, which coupled with mind cripple should be very effective against anything vulnerable to SA. Any other suggestion, especially on feats or items?

JaxGaret
2008-04-12, 09:33 PM
Use the Dungeonscape variant called Penetrating Strike that lets you trade your Trap Sense for 1/2 SA damage against foes that are normally immune to sneak attack.

MeklorIlavator
2008-04-12, 09:39 PM
Use the Dungeonscape variant called Penetrating Strike that lets you trade your Trap Sense for 1/2 SA damage against foes that are normally immune to sneak attack.

Unfortunately, I'm using the Psionic rogue (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b), which lacks the trapsense feature, gaining minor psionic abilities instead.

JaxGaret
2008-04-12, 09:43 PM
Unfortunately, I'm using the Psionic rogue (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b), which lacks the trapsense feature, gaining minor psionic abilities instead.

Ah, I see, you've already traded out Trap Sense for something better :smallsmile:

Psychic Rogues get a slow SA progression anyway, so it wouldn't have mattered much.

MeklorIlavator
2008-04-12, 09:46 PM
Yeah, but then again, intelligence damage on sneak attacks can be very good. Most enemies either high Int, but rely on it(wizards), or have low Int. Adding in Con Damage is just the icing on the cake.

What I really need are ideas for other feats to take. Right now, I'm drawing a blank.

SadisticFishing
2008-04-12, 09:59 PM
Craven is quite good, but 3.0 AND Faerun... (Champions of Ruin)

If you want to play Exalted Good, you can get Righteous Strike or wtv it's called, d8's instead of d6's against evil people.

Staggering Strike is rather solid too (CArc). Forcing saves is never bad.

Why a spellless variant, and which one?

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-12, 10:05 PM
Savvy rogue is excellent if your DM has rogue/psyrogue transparency.

Dual strike is nice for adding a little punch to those times when a full attack is simply impossible, even if it's not too stellar.

Any ambush feat can be really pwn.

Grynning
2008-04-13, 05:16 AM
I was thinking of Psionic Feats, although I don't know if any of them really fit your build (while Psionic Weapon might, it doesn't work with TWF). I always like Speed of Thought, Psionic Charge, and Up the Walls for cool factor with a Psionic melee character. Expanded Knowledge is never bad (learn a new power, from any class list). Oh, and another good one from the psionics book: Deadly Precision - reroll one's on sneak attack dice. If you have the feat to spare, why not?
(Edited out my question, see that you took Staggering Strike)

MeklorIlavator
2008-04-13, 10:21 AM

If you want to play Exalted Good, you can get Righteous Strike or wtv it's called, d8's instead of d6's against evil people.

Staggering Strike is rather solid too (CArc). Forcing saves is never bad.

Why a spellless variant, and which one?

The variant from Complete Warror, because I'm taking a PRC on that side and thus would only be able to cast as a 6th level ranger. Plus, I don't need another stat to worry about.

Edit:
Oh, and guess what feat I forgot in a high-dex, Low str melee build. Weapon Finesse.:smalltongue:

Chronos
2008-04-13, 11:26 AM
Oh, and another good one from the psionics book: Deadly Precision - reroll one's on sneak attack dice.No. Just, no. Deadly Precision adds less than half a point of damage per die, on average, and it slows down the game to do it. With Psychic Rogue, which only gets one die per three levels or so, that amounts to about one extra point of damage every seven levels. Anything at all would be better than that.

One thing you might want to look into, though, is the ambush feats from Complete Scoundrel. It sounds like you're not all that interested in the HP damage from your Sneak Attacks, and ambush feats let you trade in some of your SA dice for effects which hinder your opponent in various ways.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-13, 11:29 AM
The variant from Complete Warror, because I'm taking a PRC on that side and thus would only be able to cast as a 6th level ranger. Plus, I don't need another stat to worry about.

Edit:
Oh, and guess what feat I forgot in a high-dex, Low str melee build. Weapon Finesse.:smalltongue:

Oh, gods...How could we forget this one?

SHADOW BLADE! Get it, now! It's Dex to damage!

Chronos: Beat you to the ambush feats, but yeah, if you have ways of overcoming all immunities, they plainly are teh winz0rz.

Renegade Paladin
2008-04-13, 11:33 AM
Champions of Ruin is not 3.0.

MeklorIlavator
2008-04-13, 11:46 AM
Unfortunately, not Tome of Battle or campaign books allowed. Plus, shadow blade would take 3 feats(Martial study, Martial stance, Shadow Blade), and right now that would be somewhat difficult.

Right now, I have these feats:
1st-Precise Strike
3rd-Weapon Finesses
6th-Two Weapon Pounce(PHB2)
9th-Staggering Strike(Comp Adv)
12th-Two Weapon Rend(PHB2)
Note that if I can get the DM to agree, Switch Savvy rogue(mind cripple[working the same as crippling strike]) for Two Weapon rend. Now, are Two Weapon pounce and precise strike good ideas?

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-13, 11:52 AM
Where's precise strike from?

TWP is EXCELLENT, but you need to teamwork it. If the fighter is flanking from the other side, for example, it's excellent, or if the wizard casted grease, of if you're invisible. Basically, if the stage is set, it rocks. If not, it won't change one thing.

Also, if you DM accepts homebrews, you might want to try this combat ability:

Butterfly Attack

As a full round action, you may perform a graceful attack that throws off the defenses of your opponent, allowing you to strike their weak spots. As part of the full round action, make a normal attack at a -5 penalty. this attack deals no damage, but if it succeeds, you gain total concealment from the foe that suffered the attack, may move to any square that surrounds him/her, and makes your foe be considered subject to precision damage (Skirmish, SA, sudden strike, Etc) until the end of your next turn. If your foe has immunity to precision damage, this attack does nothing, unless you possess a feat, spell, class feature, or item that would make them vulnerable to normal precision damage (Such as Penetrating Strike, Mighty critical, a Greater Demolition crystal, etc.), in which case they can be affected by precision damage made by anyone who could surpass that immunity.

Jack_Simth
2008-04-13, 11:55 AM
I'm making a twf Psionic rouge//ranger, and I was looking for a little help. Here's the sheet (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=3714), but to summarize, its a 12th level gestalt whisper gnome of the above classes, with the ranger as a spell-less variant. Currently, it has two Weapon fighting, improved two Weapon fighting, two weapon rend, two weapon pounce, but as I've said I'm not really sure where to go with this(feat wise). Currently, I'm planing on getting wounding weapons, which coupled with mind cripple should be very effective against anything vulnerable to SA. Any other suggestion, especially on feats or items?
A couple of notes....

1) I notice you've got your levels listed as 12//6/5 - did your DM decided that Whisper Gnomes are +1 LA (very reasonably), and put it on one side, or is that a typo? I suspect Typo, as you've got a Planar Terrain Mastery, which doesn't come until 6th.

2) In gestalt, you really do want at least one side to be a Full Caster - it's a long-term power issue. At 12th, you're past the point where it's important. I would advise retooling to accomodate that - perhaps the PHB II's Beguiler, rather than a Psychic Rogue. You get very nearly the same skill list; the big things you'd be missing out on with a Beguiler-12//Ranger-6/Horizon Walker-6 vs. a Psychic Rogue-12//Ranger-6/Horizon Walker-6 is 4d6 Sneak Attack, Evasion, one selectable special ability, Danger Sense, and a couple of points of Reflex. In exchange, you'd get Full Spontaneous Spellcasting (6th level spells, vs. your current set of 3rd level powers), a good Will save, bonuses to casting when you're not detected by your opponent, plus Still and Silent Spell as bonus feats. A Tome of Battle Martial Adept, such as the Swordsage, also fits this criteria.

DraPrime
2008-04-13, 11:58 AM
I recommend ambush feats from Complete Scoundrel.

MeklorIlavator
2008-04-13, 12:23 PM
1) You know, that I'm looking back through my sources, I can't find it. Well, now I have a first level feat that's opened up.
2)The 12//6/5 thing is a typo, let me fix that.
3)Drat 3.5 and its caster madness. If I do that, though, the whole purpose of this build goes out the window, so I might as well just create a new one.