PDA

View Full Version : Spell Focus (and the like) with (Sp) Abilities?

Benejeseret
2008-04-12, 09:34 PM
Do feats such as spell focus, or others that raise the DC for a spell type also work if that character was using a spell-like ability whose base spell fits the spell focus type?

Would this be a reasonable houserule if not allowed (by RAW)?

Bene

AslanCross
2008-04-12, 09:41 PM
As far as I can tell, no. The feat's description is pretty specific in that it affects spells. There's the Ability Focus feat for SLAs.

GrandMasterMe
2008-04-12, 10:20 PM
As far as I can tell, no. The feat's description is pretty specific in that it affects spells. There's the Ability Focus feat for SLAs.
Ability Focus dosen't work for SLA's it is for special attacks, like a lich's touch. In MMI the only feats for SLA's are Empower Spell-Like Ability and Quicken Spell-Like Ability

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-12, 10:23 PM
It works for any special attack, I believe.

In any case, didn't the binder's handbook...erhm, ToM have some things to affect Sp's and SLA's?

GrandMasterMe
2008-04-12, 10:38 PM
But do SLA's count as special attacks? they are classified as special abilitys in the DMG so IDK

RTGoodman
2008-04-12, 11:22 PM
But do SLA's count as special attacks? they are classified as special abilitys in the DMG so IDK

I don't know about a universal rule, but for some creatures Spell-Like abilities are definitely "Special Attacks." For instance, in the stat block for the Pixie (http://systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/monstersS.html#pixie), it says:

Special Attacks: Spell-like abilities, special arrows

I'm not sure exactly how the Ability Focus feat (http://systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/monsterFeats.html) works with that (would you take for just one SLA, or for "SLAs" in general?), but RAW it seems that taking AF for SLAs works. To me, at least.

Personally, I would just say that you can take Ability Focus once per Spell-Like Ability, gaining the +2 DC as normal, but Spell Focus (X) wouldn't do anything for them.

AslanCross
2008-04-13, 12:00 AM

In Complete Arcane they are recommended for Warlocks, since the Warlock's Eldritch Blast and invocations are (Sp)s.

Also, all of the monster entries that have (Sp)s list them as such:

Special Attacks: Sneak attack +2d6, spell-like abilities, summon demon (That's from the Babau).