PDA

View Full Version : when are we?

Jayngfet
2008-04-13, 12:22 AM
I was making my world and I was wondering, would it be a good Idea to put different campains in different time periods, I'd save me the trouble of making a new world with humongus mecha, and maybe play with d20 modrn a bit too...

AslanCross
2008-04-13, 12:36 AM
I don't see any problems with it, though it isn't really that different from creating different worlds. You might end up saving time with a couple of nations and maybe pantheons, but one setting might be very different from age to age.

On the other hand, it might make for good continuity. Maybe the people from the giant robot age can go back and remember the exploits of those heroes who drove the demons back into the Abyss a thousand years before.

Devils_Advocate
2008-04-13, 04:02 PM
It's probably best to do campaigns in chronological order. If your current campaign is set in the past of a previous campaign, that means that there are things that the PCs can't do because they would violate established history. But if you design a campaign taking the events of the last campaign as history, then the players get a chance to see the long-term impact that their previous characters had on the world. Maybe they even became heroes of legend. Or maybe they didn't have any noticeable long-term impact on anything. Depends on what they did, doesn't it?

Newtkeeper
2008-04-13, 04:28 PM
Aye, chronological order is the way to go- if only to avoid time paradoxes, and give the PCs a chance to permanently mess up the universe if they fail.

One idea would be to not tell the players for game 2 that they are in the same world as they were in for game 1. Let them figure it out.

If you want to give a bit of a morale boost, you can do so. Show that the PCs made a difference in game 1. No one minds being turned into a legend, after all.