View Full Version : Arena Tournament, Round 36: Ned the Knight vs AquaManny

ArenaManager
2008-04-13, 12:36 AM
Arena Tournament, Round 36: Ned the Knight vs. AquaManny

Map:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b30/Kyeudo/GlassArena.jpg

XP Award: 300 XP
GP Award: 300 GP

Lord Sarthax - Ned the Knight (http://www.dndonlinegames.com/view.php?id=66875)
Talic - AquaManny (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=3528)

All Combatants, please roll initiative.

Talic
2008-04-13, 02:36 AM
So, after this, ya wanna go get a... Oh hold up for a second, I think it's starting. Drinks after this right? Call me!

...plods out of the stands, down to the Arena Quartermaster...

Not sure what I'm buying, but I'll likely get a little something. You churn out pretty impressive damage, and numbers alone may not win this fight. I may need someone that can throw down.

Init: [roll0]

lord sarthax
2008-04-13, 01:42 PM
im probably gona sell my light warhorse and by a heavy warhorse.

Initiative
[roll0]

Talic
2008-04-13, 02:37 PM
I'll buy a single scroll of Quick March. If you're ready, I'll take my 1st turn?

Talic
2008-04-13, 09:45 PM
Assuming no more purchases. If you decide, I'll need to revise.

AquaManny, Round 1

Start In: Y13, Shield and waterskin in one hand, other hand empty.
Move: to X7
Standard: Cast a spell (Obscuring Mist).
Duration is 10 rounds, AoE is a 20 ft radius spread, center is X7.
LOS is now blocked.
No Further actions

Visible Arena Effects: (anyone can read this spoiler)[i]Obscuring Mist, center X7, Duration 1/10

Done, provided you aren't purchasing anything further.

Stats:Aquamanny:
AC: 13 (+2 Armor, +1 Shield) (Flat Foot: 13) (Touch: 10)
HP: 7/7
In Hand: Waterskin, Buckler Readied

Spells:Divine Favor
Obscuring Mist - x
Obscuring Mist
Create Water
Detect Magic
Cure Minor Wounds

lord sarthax
2008-04-13, 10:57 PM
question what are the rules for shooting into the fog concealment. say if i shot at where you dissapered.

Talic
2008-04-13, 11:22 PM
Rules are, target a square. Make the attack (Spoiler it, since I can't see you either). A ref will spoiler a concealment roll (50/50, for total concealment), and, if you targeted the right square and passed concealment, will tell me how much damage I take.

Unfortunately, without LoS, you won't get feedback on the hit/miss, and the conceal roll has to be concealed from both of us, as I won't know if you threw anything, and you won't know if you targeted the right square.

chilepepper
2008-04-14, 01:51 AM
ref chilepepper

Actually, that's incorrect.

SRD
Concealment Miss Chance

Concealment gives the subject of a successful attack a 20% chance that the attacker missed because of the concealment. If the attacker hits, the defender must make a miss chance percentile roll to avoid being struck. Multiple concealment conditions do not stack.

If you want to keep this all super secret, the attack chooses the square and attacks. A ref will verify if it's a hit and ask the defender to roll the miss chance. If the attacker doesn't get to know the roll result, but if he can otherwise see the projectile hit or miss, he'll know. The defender would see the projectile whiz, or get hit by it depending on the roll.

Talic
2008-04-14, 01:56 AM
Then, if any attack rolls roam near enough to me for me to see, in addition to any notification of such, the ref can roll the conceal chance (not so concerned over my karmic right to electronic dice). That way, it's all done correctly (conceal roll is made, all players have the right info), and in a minimum of waiting for posts.

EDIT: I always use low = hit, high = miss. (1-50 and 51-100, for total concealment)

lord sarthax
2008-04-14, 08:34 AM
ok one more question (sorry) my mount has a movement of 50 ft a round. would i be able to have it double move, or would the best i could do spur him on to do 60 ft if i also wanted to do something else in the round (like attack)?

Talic
2008-04-14, 01:36 PM
Well, if you intend to ranged attack, you'll make an attack at -4 and you must attack between the two movements. If you intend to melee strike, you may double move and then attack.

chilepepper
2008-04-14, 08:26 PM
ref chilepepper

SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm)
Combat while Mounted

With a DC 5 Ride check, you can guide your mount with your knees so as to use both hands to attack or defend yourself. This is a free action.

When you attack a creature smaller than your mount that is on foot, you get the +1 bonus on melee attacks for being on higher ground. If your mount moves more than 5 feet, you can only make a single melee attack. Essentially, you have to wait until the mount gets to your enemy before attacking, so you can’t make a full attack. Even at your mount’s full speed, you don’t take any penalty on melee attacks while mounted.

If your mount charges, you also take the AC penalty associated with a charge. If you make an attack at the end of the charge, you receive the bonus gained from the charge. When charging on horseback, you deal double damage with a lance.

You can use ranged weapons while your mount is taking a double move, but at a -4 penalty on the attack roll. You can use ranged weapons while your mount is running (quadruple speed), at a -8 penalty. In either case, you make the attack roll when your mount has completed half its movement. You can make a full attack with a ranged weapon while your mount is moving. Likewise, you can take move actions normally

lord sarthax
2008-04-15, 12:46 AM
Ned round 1

Started in B13 with Javalin in one hand, Sheild in other. mounted on warhorse.

Swift: issue knights challenge

Other stuff that you cant see because of line of sight
Mount moves at 4x speed, but since it has run, 5x. I have it move to T9 where I throw my javilin at him, Attack [roll0] (+3 regular, -8 for movement, +1 for knights challenge, +1 for riding on mount that is bigger than him.) damage [roll1], I then finish move T9->T12, T12-> X12 while I draw out my lance.

Reffs, please notify me if there is anything wrong with my turn, I will be glad to go back and fix it (Talic, I think we should have a reff check it before we continue on, so that there isnt any mess ups that send us back here later in the game.)

Stats for reffs
AC: 18 (+4 Armor, +2 Shield, +2 dex) (Flat Foot: 16) (Touch: 12)
HP: 14/14
In Hand: Lance, sheild
Long lasting effects: Knights challenge 1/7

waiting on the reffs 'ok' to continue

Maurkov
2008-04-15, 12:54 AM
Ref Maurkov

@refs, lord sarthaxTwo things. You only get x4 (or x5) more if you run (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#run), which needs to be in a straight line. If you're going to turn, you have to double move instead. Second, "you get the +1 bonus on melee attacks for being on higher ground," so one of your plus ones doesn't apply. (SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#mountedCombat)).

chilepepper
2008-04-15, 02:55 AM
ref chilepepper

Ref Maurkov is absolutely correct. Furthermore, all the walls/pillars are made of glass in this arena, LoS is established from turn 1 and stays that way unless someone does something really tricky. Anything you do that is visible isn't spoilerable.

Since the turn has to be redone anyway, what's in the spoiler doesn't matter. I'll say it's off limits to AquaManny, just to avoid any problems.

It is still Ned the Knight's turn.

Talic
2008-04-15, 05:06 AM
List me as the tricky one that dropped a round 1 Obscuring Mist. :)

chilepepper
2008-04-15, 05:46 AM
Oops, missed that. Sorry Sarthax, you were right in posting in spoilers.

lord sarthax
2008-04-15, 08:39 AM
ok redoing round
Ned round 1
started in B13, Lance and sheild in hand. mounted
Swift: Knights challenge

other action stuff
double move to T12. If anything runs out at me from the mist, redy an action to gain cover, (using my mount as cover) Let me know if anything does pop out at me. Will roll DC 15 check then.

Stats
Long lasting effects: Knights challenge 1/7

Done

Maurkov
2008-04-15, 08:42 AM
Ref Maurkov

List me as the tricky one that dropped a round 1 Obscuring Mist. :)

Talic @ 04-13-2008 07:45 PM "center is X7."

Which intersection, again?

Talic
2008-04-15, 10:04 AM
Effect: Cloud spreads in 20-ft. radius from you, 20 ft. high

If I have to be in a corner to cast this, we'll say SW corner, for poops and giggles.

chilepepper
2008-04-15, 03:41 PM
ref chilepepper

edit: nevermind

AquaManny's turn.

Talic
2008-04-15, 07:05 PM
@Refs: Blood quickening requires a meditation to set up, and lasts 24 hours, however, it doesn't list the time for the meditation required. What would that be?

Aquamanny: Round 2.

Actions:
Move: Draw another Waterskin
Move: to Z5

Arena effects: Obscuring Mist, centered on X7(SW), 20 ft radius spread Duration: 2/10

Edit: Done.

My Stats:Aquamanny:
AC: 13 (+2 Armor, +1 Shield) (Flat Foot: 13) (Touch: 10)
HP: 7/7
In Hands: Waterskin x 2, Buckler Readied

Spells:Divine Favor
Obscuring Mist - x
Obscuring Mist
Create Water
Detect Magic
Cure Minor Wounds

lord sarthax
2008-04-15, 07:10 PM
Refs
If i wanted to charge through the mist, if he would be in any thretened square that i threatened, would i get an attack roll on him? also, can i charge diagonaly, as long as its in a strait line?

Paladin Latham
2008-04-15, 08:06 PM
@Talic:
It takes an hour of meditation according to pg. 25 of Races of the Dragon to meditate for blood quickening. Its completely unrealistic for us to assume a character needs to meditate in the arena for an hour while the fight is happening so I'd say a character can do so as a beforehand measure. If another high ref has an objection speak now, or later, or forever hold your peace. sorta.

Talic
2008-04-15, 08:08 PM
@Refs:Cool. Not even gonna try, as I forgot to do it in the 1st post. Tiamat would've been good here tho.

Go ahead, just a clarification.

chilepepper
2008-04-15, 11:26 PM
ref chilepepper

talic, refsJust to clarify: The official ruling is, anything that is 24 hours duration, like blood quickening and some of the warlock invocations, are in place before the match. However, just like memorized spells, if it's not claimed before the match starts, it's not in effect. 1 hour of meditation is correct.

Just laying out some info, keep the action rolling.

lord sarthax
2008-04-15, 11:46 PM
need my question answered just to let you all know. :)

chilepepper
2008-04-16, 12:06 AM
ref chilepepper

Sorry, here's your answer.

Lord Sarthax, refs
SRD
Charge

Charging is a special full-round action that allows you to move up to twice your speed and attack during the action. However, it carries tight restrictions on how you can move.
Movement During a Charge

You must move before your attack, not after. You must move at least 10 feet (2 squares) and may move up to double your speed directly toward the designated opponent.

You must have a clear path toward the opponent, and nothing can hinder your movement (such as difficult terrain or obstacles). Here’s what it means to have a clear path. First, you must move to the closest space from which you can attack the opponent. (If this space is occupied or otherwise blocked, you can’t charge.) Second, if any line from your starting space to the ending space passes through a square that blocks movement, slows movement, or contains a creature (even an ally), you can’t charge. (Helpless creatures don’t stop a charge.)

If you don’t have line of sight to the opponent at the start of your turn, you can’t charge that opponent.

You can’t take a 5-foot step in the same round as a charge.

If you are able to take only a standard action or a move action on your turn, you can still charge, but you are only allowed to move up to your speed (instead of up to double your speed). You can’t use this option unless you are restricted to taking only a standard action or move action on your turn.

lord sarthax
2008-04-16, 06:01 PM
refs
lets say i just run through, would i be able to attack him if i come with in 5 ft of him?

Maurkov
2008-04-16, 07:09 PM
@Ned, RefsIf by "I" you mean, "my horse and I," Yes (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#mountedCombat). The horse is using its action to move you, so you have the requisit standard action available for attacking.

If it was just you, running is a full round action, so you would not be able to attack.

lord sarthax
2008-04-16, 11:35 PM
Ned Round 2

Actions
ok then i will ride my horse through the mist in a diagnal patern (to Z6, thus creating a greater chance of seeing him. If i do see him, i attack with my lance and my horse, (Im planing on cutting through the smoke at different directions and areas to increase my chances of finding him) attacksAttack if i see anything Lance [roll0] damage [roll1]
Horsey (hoof) [roll2] damage [roll3] I would like to know where I end up if I do attack

Stats
Long lasting effects: Knights challenge 2/7

chilepepper
2008-04-17, 03:38 AM
ref chilepepper

LoS is established with Ned in Z6 and Aquamanny in Z5.

NedWhen you get to Z6 (not before), you see Aquamanny in Z5. You attacks as stated happen with one exception. In order to have your mount attack, you need to succeed at a Handle Animal check DC10. Your +5 is not enough to auto succeed so you'll have to roll that. If your succeed, your mount attacks. To attack with your mount, you have to succeed at a Ride check DC10. The ride check is an auto success since you have +9 to ride.

refs
When making a melee attack against an adjacent target, your target has concealment if his space is entirely within an effect that grants concealment. When making a melee attack against a target that isn’t adjacent to you use the rules for determining concealment from ranged attacks. Aquamanny is not in the obscuring mist, but Ned is. Aqua doesn't get the benefit of concealment, but Ned will if attacked.

Ned needs to resolve his turn.

lord sarthax
2008-04-17, 08:36 AM
chile and refs
so i need to do a handle animal check? if so here it is [roll0]

chilepepper
2008-04-17, 09:33 AM
ref chilepepper

So, the horse strikes out with it's hoof (hitting AC 16 for 6 points of damage).
As the horse comes down to all fours, Ned's lance follows in, but narrowly misses.

It is now Aquamanny's turn.

Talic
2008-04-17, 04:43 PM
Minor problem with that, not that it matters. The lance is a reach weapon. Couldn't be used at that distance.

Also, My square is, by rules for counting area, affected by Obscuring Mist. I'll need to make my conceal check for the Horse.

Regardless of the shape of the area, you select the point where the spell originates, but otherwise you don’t control which creatures or objects the spell affects. The point of origin of a spell is always a grid intersection. When determining whether a given creature is within the area of a spell, count out the distance from the point of origin in squares just as you do when moving a character or when determining the range for a ranged attack. The only difference is that instead of counting from the center of one square to the center of the next, you count from intersection to intersection.

You can count diagonally across a square, but remember that every second diagonal counts as 2 squares of distance. If the far edge of a square is within the spell’s area, anything within that square is within the spell’s area. If the spell’s area only touches the near edge of a square, however, anything within that square is unaffected by the spell.
By the above rule, and the fact that the origin is (X7, SW corner), the mist spreads to Z4, SW corner. Being in Z5, I am within the area.

Talic
2008-04-17, 04:50 PM
Concealment roll (1-20 misses): [roll0]
Turn to come.

Talic
2008-04-17, 04:56 PM
On second thought, summoning a half dozen elementals is a lot more paperwork than the cool factor of being able to summon them.

I'm gonna concede the match, as I'm nearly dead anyway, and am in a very bad position, as is, nearly forced out of my means of hiding.

lord sarthax
2008-04-17, 05:29 PM
"you faught bravely my friend but It appears that I shall move on"

I thought for sure that you would start sending the elementals out at me. would like to play you again another day.

Kyeudo
2008-04-17, 06:16 PM
GM Kyeudo

Ned the Knight is the Winner!

Enjoy the spoils.

Talic
2008-04-17, 08:31 PM
Elementals have crap for hitting, and go down easy. Take too long to summon also. GG, guy.