Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks None
Special Qualities None
Saves Fort +1 Ref +2 Will +2
Abilities Str 9, Dex 13, Con 10, Int 4, Wis 8, Cha 11
Skills Climb +6
Feats Weapon Finesse, Toughness
Environment None
Organization Solitary, Probe Team (2-4, also includes 6-8 Na)
Challenge Rating 1
Treasure Standard
Alignment True Neutral
Advancement Becomes a Na, see below
Level Adjustment -

Na, 3rd Level Warrior
MEDIUM ABERRATION
HD 3d8 (13 hp)
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares)
Init: +0
AC 10; touch 10; flat-footed 10
BAB +3; Grp +3
Attack Dracon Beam +3 ranged touch (4d6)
Full-Attack Dracon Beam +3 ranged touch (4d6)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks None
Special Qualities None
Saves Fort +3 Ref +1 Will +0
Abilities Str 11, Dex 11, Con 10, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 13
Skills Intimidate +6, Climb +3, Jump +3, Appraise +2
Feats Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Dracon Beam), Point Blank Shot
Environment None
Organization Solitary, Probe Team (6-8, also includes 2-4 Skrit)
Challenge Rating 3
Treasure Standard
Alignment Any
Advancement by character class; Favored Class Rogue
Level Adjustment +0

No Darkvision
Unlike most Aberrations, neither Skrit nor Na possess Darkvision.

Racial Skills
Na recieve a +2 racial bonus to Appraise checks.

Skrit are generally six feet long and have an insectoid appearance, like some kind of giant cockroach. They have 14 legs and 4 sets of antennae. Skrit can use their foremost legs to manipulate objects with a reasonable degree of precision. Skrit are not very intelligent but can be trained to perform simple tasks.

Skrit are actually the larval form of Na. When a Skrit reaches a certain age, it weaves a cocoon and metamorphises into a Na. Immature Skrit are often used by Na to perform simple tasks, in a manner similar to domesticated animals.

Na have a humanoid appearance with a large, bulbous head and large black eyes. Na are on average slightly taller than humans. Na are often scavengers, or merchants, or both. Their common activities include kidnapping members of other races, performing bizzare medical experiments on members of other races, and killing cows. Nobody knows why.

Dracon Beam
Although a dracon beam is technically an exotic weapon, it functions more like a wand. A dracon beam has a number of charges (usually starting at 50) that are expended every time the beam is fired. When there are no more charges left, the beam simply fails to function until recharged.

When used, a dracon beam fires a red beam that requires a ranged touch attack to hit and deals 4d6 damage. Characters proficient in the use of a dracon beam can have it deal non-lethal damage in the same way.

The range of a dracon beam is 30 ft. Although dracon beams can be made in different sizes, there is no difference to range, damage, or charges.

Thoughts? Obvious brokenness? Anyone not get it? I'm thinking the dracon beam might need some adjusting, but the creatures are ok, right?

tyckspoon
2008-04-13, 03:26 AM
The beam's damage is way too high for CR 1. 4d6 averages 14 damage; it'll regularly drop almost any first-level character it hits, and it doesn't even need an unusually good roll to punch a squishier character straight past -10 and right into death. That damage would be appropriate for.. I think about CR 3 or a dangerous CR 2, with appropriate buffs to the rest of the critter. If you prefer to keep the rest of the stats as generic (and low) as they currently are, I would put the beam damage down to 1d6 and the CR to 1/2 (like a Warlock without the benefits of PC stat generation or gear.) Advanced Na with class levels or more HD could wield higher 'caster level' beams with commensurately better damage.

The Skrit is over-CR'd. It's got bad AC, a low-damage attack at a poor hit bonus.. its only real benefit is ok HP, which won't stand up to much thanks to the aforementioned bad AC. It might be ok as a weak CR 1, but even there it could use some buffing. Give it Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat to up its attack bonus, maybe some natural armor so it's not quite so easy to smash up.

Bogardan_Mage
2008-04-13, 03:36 AM
The beam's damage is way too high for CR 1. 4d6 averages 14 damage; it'll regularly drop almost any first-level character it hits, and it doesn't even need an unusually good roll to punch a squishier character straight past -10 and right into death. That damage would be appropriate for.. I think about CR 3 or a dangerous CR 2, with appropriate buffs to the rest of the critter. If you prefer to keep the rest of the stats as generic (and low) as they currently are, I would put the beam damage down to 1d6 and the CR to 1/2 (like a Warlock without the benefits of PC stat generation or gear.) Advanced Na with class levels or more HD could wield higher 'caster level' beams with commensurately better damage.
Suppose I make the statted Na, say, level 3? Just not even bother with level 1. Have it CR 3, 3rd Level warrior with the dracon beam as is. Would that work?

The Skrit is over-CR'd. It's got bad AC, a low-damage attack at a poor hit bonus.. its only real benefit is ok HP, which won't stand up to much thanks to the aforementioned bad AC. It might be ok as a weak CR 1, but even there it could use some buffing. Give it Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat to up its attack bonus, maybe some natural armor so it's not quite so easy to smash up.
Done.

Collin152
2008-04-13, 06:22 PM
Ah, the most disrespected Animorphs species, finally getting some attention.
There are no gedds.
I give you a cookie for caring so much about such hideous creatures.

Bogardan_Mage
2008-04-14, 12:24 AM
I give you a cookie for caring so much about such hideous creatures.
You think the Skrit are hideous, you should see my next one:

Taxxon 1st Level Warrior
LARGE ABERATION
HD 1d8-2 (2)
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares), Burrow 30 ft. (see below)
Init: 2
AC 11; touch 11; flat-footed 9
(-1 size, +2 Dex)
BAB +1; Grp +3
Attack Bite +3 (1d8)
Full-Attack Bite +3 (1d8)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks
Special Qualities Darkvision 60 ft., Hunger, Scent
Saves Fort +0 Ref +3 Will +0
Abilities Str 7, Dex 14, Con 7, Int 13, Wis 10, Cha 6
Skills Swim +2, Intimidate +4, Survival +1
Feats Weapon Finesse
Environment Underground
Organization Solitary or Squad (2-4)
Challenge Rating ˝
Treasure Standard
Alignment Usually chaotic neutral
Advancement by character class; Favored Class Any
Level Adjustment +0

Hunger (Ex):
A Taxxon is constantly consumed with an overwhelming hunger, regardless of actual food requirements. When confronted with the smell of fresh meat (whether it originates from a nearby campfire or a fallen comrade), the Taxxon must make a DC 15 Will save or be drawn into a feeding frenzy. While in this frenzy the Taxxon gourges itself on whatever meat it can find. For each round in the frenzy, the Taxxon may make a DC 20 Will save to escape and regain control. When there is no longer a strong smell of meat, the frenzy ends.

Burrowing:
Taxxons can burrow through dirt with impressive speed, leaving behind a usable tunnel approximately 5 feet in diameter. Taxxons may tunnel through solid rock, but do so at only half normal burrowing speed. Taxxons cannot burrow through metal.

Taxxons as Characters

+2 Dexterity, -2 Strength, -2 Charisma, -4 Constitution
Aberration: Taxxons are not subject to spells or effects that affect humanoids only, such as charm person or dominate person.
Large size. -1 penalty to Armor Class, -1 penalty on attack rolls, -4 penalty on Hide checks, +4 bonus on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits double those of Medium characters.
Taxxon base land speed is 30 feet.
Darkvision out to 60 feet.
Scent: Taxxons can taste scents on the wind with great ease. A taxxon can detect opponents by scent within 30 feet. If the opponent is upwind, the range increases to 60 feet; if downwind, it drops to 15 feet. Strong scents, such as smoke or rotting garbage, can be detected at twice the ranges noted above. Overpowering scents, such as skunk musk or troglodyte stench, can be detected at triple normal range. When a taxxon detects a scent, the exact location of the source is not revealed—only its presence somewhere within range. The taxxon can take a move action to note the direction of the scent. Whenever the taxxon comes within 5 feet of the source, the taxxon pinpoints the source’s location.
Hunger (see above)
+1 racial bonus to all Reflex saves.
Automatic languages: Taxxon. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Infernal, Abyssal, Ignan, Terran. Taxxon tongues make it difficult to pronounce most languages.
Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass taxxon takes an experience point penalty, his or her highest-level class does not count.
Level Adjustment: +0

The Taxxon warrior presented here had the following ability scores before racial adjustments: Str 9, Dex 12, Con 11, Int 13, Wis 10, Cha 8

Also, I edited the Na Warrior in the OP to make it level 3, and also fiddled with its racial traits so it wouldn't be strictly worse than a Human.

Collin152
2008-04-14, 06:38 PM
I'd give them Lightning Reflexes. Apparently their reflexes are intrinsically usperior enough that it improves piloting abilities.

Bogardan_Mage
2008-04-14, 07:04 PM
I'd give them Lightning Reflexes. Apparently their reflexes are intrinsically usperior enough that it improves piloting abilities.
I decided to make it a racial +1 bonus rather than Lightning Reflexes as a bonus feat. Besides, they already have a dexterity boost to improve their reflex save.

Collin152
2008-04-14, 07:24 PM
I decided to make it a racial +1 bonus rather than Lightning Reflexes as a bonus feat. Besides, they already have a dexterity boost to improve their reflex save.

Silly me, I meant Improved Initiative.