PDA

View Full Version : The League of the Scarlet Pimpernel (Seeking Campaign Advice)

Ascension
2008-04-13, 06:27 AM
So I was watching The Scarlet Pimpernel the other day (the old 1934 movie) and I realized in the middle of it all, "Hey, this'd make a great campaign setting. The League's a party of adventurers, there are plenty of mooks to outsmart and evade, and Chauvelin (or, if you're feeling ambitious and want to screw with history, Robespierre) would make a great BBEG."

So I started trying to stat the characters. Just because of my greater familiarity with the system, I started trying D&D builds. I was midway through it (using Spymaster for Percy and Nightsong Infiltrator/Enforcer for the League) when I realized (as I should have from the start) how terrible D&D is for modeling them.

So then I started thinking about other options. I have faith that GURPS would be able to model the characters well, but I'm not sure how well it would play. Most of the other big-name systems are pigeonholed into genres which would conflict with the Reign of Terror setting. I don't even know of any system that's actually intended for use in the late 18th/early 19th century. The only thing I can think of that might be of use is True20, which I'm planning to buy when the Revised Edition comes out in a month or so, but haven't fully read yet, so I'm not sure how suitable it would be.

So, anyway, my question is twofold... 1.) Do you think a Scarlet Pimpernel-inspired campaign is a good idea? 2.) If so, what system would be best?

I'm guessing the answer is going to be GURPS. I'll probably have to take another look at it. The last time I glanced at the book I was intimidated by the sheer bulk of the character creation rules and decided against trying it. Still, if you have any other suggestions (Especially if you know of any games actually focused on the 18th century... and not pirates. I know there are 18th century pirate RPGs, but, well... the Scarlet Pimpernel is not a pirate.) please let me know.

Maxymiuk
2008-04-13, 06:45 AM
I don't know much about the movie itself, but as far as systems go, I'd recommend Savage Worlds (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savage_Worlds). It's a generic system that, from my experience, adapts well to almost any genre. It's fairly simple, cinematic, and allows for larger than life characters without them becoming gods walking the earth.

The Wikipedia page says they even released a a supplement meant for Victorian age campaigns, but I haven't played it personally, so I'm afraid I can't tell you whether it's any good.

bosssmiley
2008-04-13, 09:16 AM
1) A "Scarlet Pimpernel" campaign is a fantastic idea! Ceremonial defenestration in honour of your inherent awesumsaucery begins forthwith. Don't worry though, you're a swashbuckler; there's always a cart full of straw for you to land in. :smallbiggrin:

2) D&D as-is is useless for modelling swashbucklery games. The combat system is b0rked, the level system breaks down after about 6th (see the enworld E6 discussion), and the availability of magic dodges around all the clever skill use that makes swashbuckling espionage (swashpionage?) such fun in the first place.

You might want to try "d20 Past", which covers this time period. Or, if you don't mind stepping outside your comfort zone a little, see if you can't find a copy of "7th Sea" (the original roll-and-keep version, not the d20 system bandwagon jumping version). That was about the most swashbucklery system I ever played. Just tone down the more bizarro magical elements, fast forward the setting (a mythic pseudo-Europe) 100 years or so, and you should be good to go.

Quincunx
2008-04-13, 09:26 AM
7th Sea emphatically seconded. Avalonian (British) background was no handicap to swashbuckling. Heck, I'll even double-second The Scarlet Pimpernel, my personal Book of Shame (I read it, I love it, I know it's awful, I love it anyway).

DomarSaul
2008-04-13, 10:25 AM
1. I'm delighted to see this, since I went to see my old high school do Scarlet Pimpernel (the musical) last night - you might enjoy listening to the soundtrack while prepping for the game.

2. Savage Worlds does seem very suited for this, and should be worth looking into.

Ellisande
2008-04-13, 11:57 AM
GURPS is my favourite system, and could definitely model swashbuckling. However, it's rules-heavy enough that I don't know if I'd choose it for a light, cinematic game. (I have no experience with the other games thus far suggested.)

I'd add to the list for consideration West End Games' d6 system; it's fast and fairly rules-light, and would thus work well in that sort of game.

--------

Oh, and in case it isn't clear, I think that a Scarlet Pimpernel sort of game would be more fun than a barrel of monkeys.

Raum
2008-04-13, 12:12 PM
1.) Do you think a Scarlet Pimpernel-inspired campaign is a good idea? Definitely!

2.) If so, what system would be best?I'll second Maxymluk's suggestion of Savage Worlds. It does a good job of getting the rules out of the way and making game play flow smoothly. Savage Worlds Explorer's Edition (http://www.smithandrobards.com/product_info.php?products_id=292&osCsid=c24cdb4f339ccd8a9ecb304066eccc1c) is only $10 and the Test Drive (http://www.peginc.com/archives/savage-worlds/test-drive-five/) rules are free. It might be worth your time to pick up Pirates of the Spanish Main (http://www.amazon.com/Pirates-Spanish-S2P10300-Savage-Worlds/dp/0976360195/ref=pd_bbs_9?ie=UTF8&tag=internetice-20&s=books&qid=1208106244&sr=8-9) also...it has rules for Fame and additional edges for swashbuckler types. You don't need it for a Scarlet Pimpernel campaign though, the Explorer's Edition has all you need if you're planning on creating your own setting.

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-04-13, 12:18 PM
1. <expletive> yeah! It's a wonderful idea, and that's not just because Percy is my idol. :smalltongue:

2. I've found that systems that run like Serenity best accomplish the kind of gameplay you're looking for.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-13, 12:21 PM
Ascension, if you don't have a group to play this with, I want you to know that I'm always available for a genius PbP game.

But yeah, GURPS, 7th sea, and savage worlds would be the best. Pity Spirit of the century is a bit too pulpy for this one, for some reason I thought it'd be a good system to design with.

Jayabalard
2008-04-13, 12:34 PM
So, anyway, my question is twofold... 1.) Do you think a Scarlet Pimpernel-inspired campaign is a good idea? 2.) If so, what system would be best?

I'm guessing the answer is going to be GURPS. I'll probably have to take another look at it. The last time I glanced at the book I was intimidated by the sheer bulk of the character creation rules and decided against trying it. Still, if you have any other suggestions (Especially if you know of any games actually focused on the 18th century... and not pirates. I know there are 18th century pirate RPGs, but, well... the Scarlet Pimpernel is not a pirate.) please let me know.

1. Yup, you could have a very fun campaign in that setting

2. GURPS would do well, but you'll need to use some option cinematic rules. If the rules are too complicated, then start paring them down until you have something you're comfortable with.

Epinephrine
2008-04-13, 12:55 PM
I have the GURPS book, the Scarlet Pimpernel - a pretty decent reference if you can pick it up.

Ascension
2008-04-13, 09:21 PM
Wow! I'm rather pleasantly surprised there's so much interest in this! I expected this thread to slide off the front page without more than one or two replies.

I just took a look at the Savage Worlds rules (the name had me thinking of the Savage Land from Marvel comics... I'm rather glad to see it isn't a system devoted to modeling Ka-Zar) and I'm happy to say I like what I see. I'll almost certainly pick it up. I know of a store downtown that's trying to offload the Pirates of the Spanish Main book, too, so I might be able to grab it for a good price. If not, it looks like I can certainly work with what's in the basic manual.

It's true that I lack an audience for this, at least at the moment... I've never run a system with actual rules in PbP (though I have run and helped run a number of freeform PbP games... :smalleek: ), and I don't really understand the mechanics involved with doing so... I gather that this forum has some sort of die-roller built in, but I have no idea how you could use it with Savage Worlds' acing system. I say that to say this... I'd like to run this as a PbP game, especially since there's so much interest in it, but I really have no clue how to start. If someone could explain to me the mechanics of running PbP, I'd love to run this thing online.