PDA

View Full Version : A bit of a problem with my gestalt

perpetualnoise
2008-04-13, 07:35 AM
I've got a bit of a problem and i could use some help in trying to fix it. In the current campaign I'm in (gestalt) i have a Half-Celestial Swordsage 9//LA 4/Fighter 4/ Death Delver 1

http://pifro.com/pro/view.php?id=632

First off, let me say I only took fighter for the feats.

In terms of the rest of the group:
-there's a death knight cavalier who one-shotted a dragon turtle thingy from his flying mount(i forget the actual name of the creature)
-a warmage/wizard with outlandish amounts of experience playing spellcasters (i.e. knows how and usually does abuse them)
-a psion/something i dunno what but can do some serious damage amongst other things and in terms of role-playing is like upper-class wealth and such
-a skillmonkey with more classes then i can remember
-and a home-brewed dragon style race (uses dragon HD progression in terms of oneside of his gestalt class, the other side is ranger i think)

so im kinda like the kid in the corner who with no idea what to do lol. i dont even really know what kind of roll i have in the party. any advice for me would be helpful

JeminiZero
2008-04-13, 08:06 AM
If I understand the situation correctly, you are in a party with a Tank, 2 Nukers, and 1 Skill monkey, all of whom are heavily heavily munchkined.

What seems to be missing is the Healer, unless the Psion also decided to take that role. However, you have wound up something of a Tank instead, and a less munchkined one than the Death Knight. As such, you feel like you are not contributing to the party.

Does that sound about right?

perpetualnoise
2008-04-13, 08:15 AM
If I understand the situation correctly, you are in a party with a Tank, 2 Nukers, and 1 Skill monkey, all of whom are heavily heavily munchkined.

What seems to be missing is the Healer, unless the Psion also decided to take that role. However, you have wound up something of a Tank instead, and a less munchkined one than the Death Knight. As such, you feel like you are not contributing to the party.

Does that sound about right?

Thats right on, next time i see the DM, i plan to talk to him about that, and in the most unlikely off chance i can "remake" my character, i'd go probably druidic diplomancer of sorts, but otherwise, you're exactly right on all fronts.

yes, its munchkined, cheesed, however you wanna put it.

JeminiZero
2008-04-13, 08:36 AM
One of the Uber Munchkin party members (usually the skill monkey) may have Diplomancer covered, so you may want to check that. Other than that, yeah, rerolling a proper healer seems your best bet. Although it seems that your party can eliminate monsters so fast they don't even get hurt, so even then you may feel redundant.

I'm no Gestalt expert, so maybe someone else can recommend a build.

Squash Monster
2008-04-13, 10:32 AM
Healer is not a role in an optimized party. Optimized parties use wands of lesser vigor and healing belts.

Something that is glaringly missing, however, is somebody who can cast Death Ward, Freedom of Movement, and the like. You're also missing a buffer.

I'd recommend a Wizard / War Weaver // Archivist build. If you really want some awesomeness later on, then you can make the Wizard side of your build into this:
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1016735

If you memorize the right buff spells, you can make the party really happy you're there. Casting Freedom of Movement through the weave when everybody is in an enemy caster's Black Tentacles or the like is a great way to become everybody's favorite party member.

perpetualnoise
2008-04-13, 07:47 PM
with death delver, i will be able to cast deathward but in terms of the character, he's neutral evil, wouldn't/couldn't give 2 hoots about the other characters, i took profane lifeleech specifically so i could heal by hurting them :smallamused:
plus buffing is almost moot between the spells of one of the nukers and the psion, and skillmonkey who has some caster levels too

Kizara
2008-04-13, 09:40 PM
Monk 1/Druid X//Cleric X

If you can't feel useful with that..... god help you.

avr
2008-04-13, 09:43 PM
If you can change anything about your character, dump all the stuff focusing on Desert Wind and focus on another discipline instead. Any of Setting Sun, Shadow Hand or Tiger Claw would be better - Setting Sun lets you throw enemies around (i.e. limited battlefield control) & has good defences, Shadow Hand is for those who would be sneaky, Tiger Claw leads to massive damage. Desert Wind just isn't as good.

Chronicled
2008-04-14, 05:27 AM
If you can change anything about your character, dump all the stuff focusing on Desert Wind and focus on another discipline instead. Any of Setting Sun, Shadow Hand or Tiger Claw would be better - Setting Sun lets you throw enemies around (i.e. limited battlefield control) & has good defences, Shadow Hand is for those who would be sneaky, Tiger Claw leads to massive damage. Desert Wind just isn't as good.

QFT, and consider Diamond Mind as well.

Also, if you're allowed to do character remaking, Monkey Grip sucks. Hard core. It is one of the only feats that will make your character worse. Swap it for Adaptive Style or Extra Readied Maneuver if you're able. Desert Wind Dodge is also a feat worth getting rid of for either of the above two.

perpetualnoise
2008-04-14, 05:30 AM
If you can change anything about your character, dump all the stuff focusing on Desert Wind and focus on another discipline instead... Desert Wind just isn't as good.

I'll definitely take that into consideration, thanks.